Traverse City, MI - HDTV - Page 5 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #121 of 1760 Old 12-17-2005, 03:00 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Anybody out there? I finally got around to calling Charter concerning our 2 new HD channels. It was the usual lovely experience. He wasn't any help at all considering anything relating to the 2 new channels hadn't even shown up on their end yet. So I was pretty much banging my head up against the wall. Ok has anyone actually seen any programming on these new channels yet? Plain english please
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #122 of 1760 Old 12-17-2005, 08:37 PM

TC can not be far behind. Last week I saw blank channels for 774 and 776 here in the W. Michigan area. And today the channels and lineups were live and up to date.
post #123 of 1760 Old 12-18-2005, 05:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Im in Traverse City, and Ive been getting all the menu data and the programming since Friday morning at about 10 AM..

I have the regular Charter HD box (moto 6200)..

I have noticed some motion artifacts and slight pixelation on TNTHD..

Cinemax HD has looked 100% perfect, havent noticed any problems..

As long as Im on the topic of motion artifacting and pixelation, I still cant believe that not one person in this Traverse City forum has any complaints about the horrible motion artifacting and pixealtion going on on CBSHD for about 4 months now..

I have seen major problems with this channel on 3 other friends HD sets in Traverse City, and if it was any more obvious it would reach out and slap me in the face.. (Its most noticable during live programming, but its still more than noticeable 24-7 for all programming..

Yet no one here notices a thing? Anyone with any thoughts on this? Anyone need me to come over to their house and point it out to them?
post #124 of 1760 Old 12-18-2005, 05:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by budone View Post

TC can not be far behind. Last week I saw blank channels for 774 and 776 here in the W. Michigan area. And today the channels and lineups were live and up to date.

No, TC cant be far..lol

Like not far as in 2 days ago
post #125 of 1760 Old 12-18-2005, 07:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guffy1 View Post

No, TC cant be far..lol

Like not far as in 2 days ago

Well Jaywatts stated he did not see the channels so I was not far off, just in the other direction!
post #126 of 1760 Old 12-18-2005, 09:15 AM

Here in Manistee, I have never noticed any problems with CBSHD at all. The Chiefs-Giants game yesterday was fine.
post #127 of 1760 Old 12-18-2005, 09:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Areas where I have seen the problem are:

Off Zimmerman Rd. in Heritage Estates subdivision
Grand Traverse Resort condos (Singletree)
East Silver Lake Rd area (about 1 mile off of W Silver Lake)
9th and Oak St. (close to downtown TC)

There has to be other people in the TC area having this problem. Theres no way its coincidentally happening in 4 totally different neighborhoods in Grand Traverse County..
post #128 of 1760 Old 12-18-2005, 01:17 PM

Still only guide data and no broadcast. Just my luck. No point in calling Charter tech support. Those guys are as useful as a box of rocks. I haven't been too impressed with the artifacting and pixelation issues myself. Maybe that's something to do with the 13 year old coax that I have coming to the house that I can't get the lazy local tech to replace. Oh well. Hopefully it'll be broadcasting Monday or so if I'm lucky.
post #129 of 1760 Old 12-18-2005, 08:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaywatts View Post

Still only guide data and no broadcast. Just my luck. No point in calling Charter tech support. Those guys are as useful as a box of rocks. I haven't been too impressed with the artifacting and pixelation issues myself. Maybe that's something to do with the 13 year old coax that I have coming to the house that I can't get the lazy local tech to replace. Oh well. Hopefully it'll be broadcasting Monday or so if I'm lucky.

Do you have the DCT6200 or the Moxi??? If the Moxi, you can manually request an upgrade hit through the diagnosis menu.

Also do you have internet access??? If so what are your signal levels????

When I got my HD box, Charter when they arrived immediately swapped out the cable run to the pole saying they needed a different type of cable for homes with HD service due to HD needing a strong signal. My old cable run was only 2-1/2 years old. They did not test the signal, they showed up and I saw my internet died, I looked out and there were two trucks swapping things out.
post #130 of 1760 Old 12-19-2005, 05:27 AM

I actually have one of each box and the new channels aren't coming in. When they added the local HD channels a while back they started the day they added them with no problem. I've done everything I can on my Moxi and rebooted a couple of different times. The local tech is pretty lazy here so I'll have to bother Charter a couple more times before he gets my old coax swapped out. He's the only guy around here but I know he can't be that busy. I was doing my best to try to get him to do it before winter hits. I know this isn't a signal issue for me in this situation, not that I haven't had pixlelation, audio dropouts, and the other usual stuff that most of us have. It's a pain calling Charter tech support and having them talk to you like an idiot when you are telling them about new channels that you have that aren't even showing up on their end yet. I really didn't like the way the guy was talking down to me and it was my usual experience with Charter. Considering most of us on the Moxi forum know more than Charter about the product, it's always frustrating calling them about anything. Now could the 13 year old coax be related to alot of my problem? Probably
post #131 of 1760 Old 12-19-2005, 06:01 AM

Have you rebooted using the reboot button, or have you gone into diagnosis by holding the OK and Menu button on the box for five seconds??? In the D Menu there is an option to request a download.

And yes I have to agree that it seems most at Charter are unaware. As for the cable yes it can and if you can get the signal levels and if they are out of whack, that info enough should get the guy to come out. You can also get teh signal level from the Moxi also.
post #132 of 1760 Old 12-19-2005, 07:14 AM

Yep, I've gone into diagnosis and done everything in the D menu. If they are not coming in on my regular HD receiver, which they aren't, I doubt there's much I can do anyways. What are some good levels to compare to what I find under the diagnosis menu? It's frustrating because this guy is just too lazy to change the coax out. I hate to make the guy change it out with the snow and all but I gave him six months before winter pretty much. Thanks again, Jay jayandmolly@chater.net
post #133 of 1760 Old 12-19-2005, 07:31 AM

I'll be glad to go into the tuner diagnostics and get you any signal info you need. Which ones are the important readings? I see they have the different screens for the different tuners. I'm just curious to see if the tech is lying to me about how good my signal is. This poor guy doesn't know jack. A while back he didn't know what 3.2 or the MoxiMate was.
post #134 of 1760 Old 12-19-2005, 08:07 AM

My sister is receiving both Cinemax and TNTHD in Beaulah.

John
post #135 of 1760 Old 12-19-2005, 08:22 AM

I guess when I have the channels I'll have the channels. I don't think there's anything I can do about it in the meantime.
post #136 of 1760 Old 12-19-2005, 01:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I guess when I have the channels I'll have the channels. I don't think there's anything I can do about it in the meantime.

These new channels are uploaded to the Zap2It website for Christ sakes, so its not like they can claim the channels are still in test mode..

I would be calling those idiots and pitching a major bitch until they fixed the problem if I were you...

I know talking to a Charter CSR is like talking to a brick wall though.. So I would get a supervisor on the phone, and I would call repeatedly until you get what you want..

Thats the only way Ive ever gotten anywhere with these jackoffs,(they have the worst customer sevice of any utility ever, by a landslide), by being an obnoxious azzhole...
post #137 of 1760 Old 12-19-2005, 02:28 PM

I really agree with your previous message. I spoke to a female brick wall today, she was a great help. How many days have the channels been working for you now? Just so I can tell them.....what really doesn't help me is that my local tech is just as competent as the CSR's..I couldn't get this lazy sob to replace my 13 year old coax coming to the house before winter hit....I only gave the guy 6+months. every time he came he just replace a splitter or something to make it actually look like he did something. last time he came he replaced another splitter and put all of my wiring in one of those grey boxes. What a great guy...It really is a pain in the xss flipping through the new channels on the Moxi waiting 15-20 seconds for it to blue screen(channel not available, call blah blah) and then flip to the next channel. I know they should be working by now. I just wish I knew somebody else in town here so I can confirm it's not just me right here. I live in Manton. I don't see how things could be any different in Traverse either.
post #138 of 1760 Old 12-19-2005, 02:36 PM
AVS Special Member

My programming and my guide has been fully functional since around 10AM this past Friday morning...

Good luck getting it going man, I can feel your pain..

As long as its taken these stiffs to add new national HD channels, I would be really impatient if I were you...
post #139 of 1760 Old 12-20-2005, 05:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guffy1 View Post

My programming and my guide has been fully functional since around 10AM this past Friday morning...

Good luck getting it going man, I can feel your pain..

As long as its taken these stiffs to add new national HD channels, I would be really impatient if I were you...

Especially since Charter signed an agreement with TNT last April.
post #140 of 1760 Old 12-20-2005, 05:28 AM

Quote:

Yep, I've gone into diagnosis and done everything in the D menu. If they are not coming in on my regular HD receiver, which they aren't, I doubt there's much I can do anyways. What are some good levels to compare to what I find under the diagnosis menu? It's frustrating because this guy is just too lazy to change the coax out. I hate to make the guy change it out with the snow and all but I gave him six months before winter pretty much. Thanks again, Jay jayandmolly@chater.net

I will look and email you the info later today. You can get the signal level off of your modem also. It will be close or the same as it is to your Moxi. (And it is easier to find off the modem)
post #141 of 1760 Old 12-20-2005, 06:16 AM

Tuesday morning, channels still not working.........I love Charter!!!!!!!!!!!! I've checked out the Moxi forum for a good while now and have seen the optimal signal levels before it's just a pain wading back through the forum.
post #142 of 1760 Old 12-20-2005, 07:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Tuesday morning, channels still not working.........I love Charter!!!!!!!!!!!! I've checked out the Moxi forum for a good while now and have seen the optimal signal levels before it's just a pain wading back through the forum.

So, when you call them what do they say?

Are they claiming the stations dont exist?
post #143 of 1760 Old 12-21-2005, 06:19 AM

They are not claiming the stations don't exist but if they don't see them in my area on their end they could care less pretty much. I love Charter..........Oh yeah........Wednesday morning.........channels still not working!!!!!!!!!! I love Charter...This crap is getting more than annoying.!!!
post #144 of 1760 Old 12-22-2005, 06:37 AM
Advanced Member

Have not checked in for awhile. Wow! Not much has improved. Guess I'll hold off on getting Charter HD. OTA is out of the question for me due to my location, just 2 blocks south of the Cherry Bend store.
More waiting. Bummer. Was hoping to be able to watch NCAA boys hoops in HD this feb.

Mike

"Common Practice Does Not Necessarily Mean Common Sense."
post #145 of 1760 Old 12-22-2005, 08:50 AM

Channel's 774 & 776 not available in Cadillac area yet, either. Also, I receive a lot of pixilation, particularly on sports broadcasts, on CBSHD (780).
post #146 of 1760 Old 12-22-2005, 12:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by northwoodsguy View Post

Channel's 774 & 776 not available in Cadillac area yet, either. Also, I receive a lot of pixilation, particularly on sports broadcasts, on CBSHD (780).

Since you are in Cadillac, do you know if the CBSHD OTA transmission has the same pixelation problems as Charter?

Personally, I never saw any problem at all with CBSHD via Charter until NBCHD was added..

I cant get an OTA signal from CBS here in Traverse City though, so I have nothing to compare to..
post #147 of 1760 Old 12-26-2005, 09:00 AM

I'm surprised that no one has mentioned CMU - PBS and their digital signal. It's standard definition at this time but it's a start. I am receiving 57.2 (6.2) very clear and strong out of Alpena (actually think the mailing address is Millersburg but could be wrong). I am not a fan of multicasting but PBS never lied to us about their intentions to multicast so I'm willing to take what I can get. Keep up the good work WCMU but please get the high def signal working. On a different note, channel 7 is apparently multicasting but the sister station, channel 4, is not. I hope they keep it that way but with their upconverted signal and their god awful stretch I'm not sure that I would notice the degradation in quality that accompanies multicasting. The dual Raycom stations (7&4) are up for sale which probably explains their reaching for every buck they can get to present positive revenue streams to a potential buyer. We can only hope that a quality purchaser comes forward and presents us with the best high definition signals allowable. Our two major stations banter back and forth about doplar radar but if the truth be told, doplar radar is marketing hype. TV 9&10 is the technology leader in this area. Local ownership can sometimes really make a difference and without the corporate bankroll (or lack their of) a solid business plan has to be put together and adhered to. Channel 9&10 has clearly advanced technology in our area much more so than the corporate 7&4 stations. Continuing on the technology path, I see that channel 9&10 is going all digital in their processing. Let's hope this is the precursor to an end to end high definition 16:9 newscast.
post #148 of 1760 Old 12-26-2005, 03:07 PM

774 and 776 still not working! When they added hd channels before they worked the same day. I think Charter is just being lazy this time. Please do not add a channel to my guide unless it broadcasts the same day, otherwise don't waste my damn time. It's bad enough the CSR's are as dumb as they are and my local tech isn't helpful at all with my signal issues. Seems like Charter could care less about someone that spends $130 plus every month with their company. Who aren't these channels working for besides us unlucky saps in the Cadillac/Manton area?
post #149 of 1760 Old 12-28-2005, 01:51 PM

I have Charter & don't know of anyone getting the CBSHD signal OTA. I had pixelation problem before NBCHD was added.
post #150 of 1760 Old 12-28-2005, 01:55 PM

Sorry, previous post meant as reply to guffy1's post on 12/22. Must have screwed up posting it. Am now getting 774 & 776 here in Cadillac now as of yesterday. Now if we can only get FOX, ABC & ESPN2!!!!!
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page