AVS Forum banner

Traverse City, MI - HDTV

Tags
ant-751
238K views 2K replies 113 participants last post by  dek8ss 
#1 ·
Anyone know any info about WCMU or it's satellite stations' digital plans? Searching around, I've found that they plan to use WGTU's tower near Kalkaska, but no date through Antennnaweb on when it will be operational. Local stations are pretty bleak here, but should be better when WGTU signs on in March.

#1,303 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by wkrp /forum/post/16829147

Hi All,

Just wondering if any of you watch WLLZ-TV Super 12 OTA http://www.wllztv.com/ on charter cable channel 72 with a box or 81.2 without. TVBob said "he don't have immediate plans to go HD, but someday your thoughts".

What about Smackdown in HD? Check our RTV great classic TV show, www.myretrotv.com , just starting this month CFL football.

My folks watch it and I do to when I'm there. WLLZ's antenna is literally in their backyard on Harris Rd. Down in Mesick, they are all snow. I'd watch them if I could get them. One Adam-Twelve, see the man...

#1,304 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sea Ray /forum/post/16828004

Throughout the country, stations that went from UHF to VHF are finding problems. Folks are calling them complaining that they can no longer get consistent signals and the stations now regret doing it. Apparently VHF signals are not as forgiving where obstacles are concerned. Antennaweb says our cottage will not get any signals. I don't believe that but it will take some doing. I know I'll need to install a rotor. I'm not sure if I'll try to attack that job myself or hire someone.

Technically, I think VHF is more forgiving of obstacles, but suffers more from interference (particularly switching-type power supplies and microprocessors) than UHF, and need almost as much power as UHF to work (most stations switching from UHF to VHF are operating at less than 10% of the ERP they had on UHF, some less than 1%!)

Personally, I had three UHF DTVs move to high VHF on 6/12, and all three are doing quite well. WPBN, with 500 watts, is a ridiculous situation (I could not get a usable signal from them outdoors with rabbit ears at 9 miles!), by contrast, I got WWTV DT 9 with an outdoor antenna at 187 miles (NOT normal reception).

Rob, Southeast MI (with many fond Benzie County memories)

#1,305 ·
Does anybody here have a Dish Network VIP series receiver? Since WGTU moved from 31 to 29 last month, I can not record them in HD. All the other local stations work normally. I get a good signal (71-78) but neither of my VIP receivers will record them. I wonder if something is wrong with their digital stream that doesn't allow my DVR to recognize them. I can watch them normally, I just can't record them.

#1,308 ·
During the end of Reno, 9.1 and 9.2 both went black. Was still getting a signal though. So I figured it was time to rescan. I did the rescan with no antenna and then with the antenna. 9.1 and 9.2 were back. So no idea what they were doing. Does this mean that I will get Fox as a whole another channel or if I only get on 9.2, will it mean I will keep it there?

#1,309 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by cire2282 /forum/post/16874098

During the end of Reno, 9.1 and 9.2 both went black. Was still getting a signal though. So I figured it was time to rescan. I did the rescan with no antenna and then with the antenna. 9.1 and 9.2 were back. So no idea what they were doing. Does this mean that I will get Fox as a whole another channel or if I only get on 9.2, will it mean I will keep it there?

FOX 32 will be on the same tower as 9. From a bandwidth/picture quality standpoint, I would hope they wouldn't multicast one another on sub channels. Reaching out to as many viewers is in their best interest, though. Multicasting 9 off channel 32 UHF channel may help those who aren't picking it up on VHF.

#1,313 ·
WPBN is requesting to:

Make channel 50 permanent as a 15 kW fill-in translator on the primary tower (not the current location), and

Move from channel 7 to channel 47, which is being abandoned by WFQX. It looks like they want to buy the channel 47 stuff from WFQX.

My question becomes, since WPBN and WGTU would be on the same tower, would the 29-2/7-2 arrangement change?

- Trip

#1,315 ·
The current WFQX tower (shared with WGTU) is where WPBN-47 would be. The channel 50 fill-in translator would be on whatever tower is near Cadillac, where the 500 watt signal of channel 7 is now.

I am too unfamiliar with local geography to know which one is "Harrietta."

- Trip

#1,317 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by cire2282 /forum/post/16896324

So would it be 7 or 50 on the Harrietta tower? If the 15 kW is on the Harrietta tower any idea if it might reach the extreme SE of Mason county. I would really like to get NBC and maybe a more stable ABC.

If this is approved, 47 will be on the Kalkaska tower (which FOX is using now) and 50 will move from TC to Harrietta (7 will go away). Here's a link of their engineering data which includes proposed coverage area.

#1,321 ·
I wouldn't look for W42CB any time soon. The parent company is in bankruptcy and I've heard from a reliable source that another Tribune translator in a much more populated area is not going to make it on the air this year, so I wouldn't expect this one either.

- Trip

#1,324 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvb6171 /forum/post/16905489

Why cant they all just put all channels in one location so we can all point one antenna at one spot like so many large cities do

I think you answered your own question: "like so many large cities." Stations need the finances to relocate transmitters to a central antenna farm. Where do you see that kind of money? Big stations in big cities. Besides, what challenge would there be getting OTA when all you have to do is point a little antenna at a bunch of towers all in the same location. I'm with ya, though. Pass the hat, I'll donate to the transmitter relocation program.

#1,326 ·
I'm getting a strong signal on channel 45 that is carrying WWTV in HD on 45.1 and WFQX in SD on 45.2 (actual RF channel 45 as well).

I suppose it is the Vanderbilt transmitter testing, but wonder why WWTV is getting first billing on it.

P.S.: I think if WPBN is going to the bother of putting a new antenna and line on the Harrieta tower (WPBN analog site, 1959-2009), they should do something to run more than 15 kW on it, perhaps ask for a superpower translator, or apply for a third full station with perhaps Reed City or Baldwin as its COL.

With 15 kw at Harrieta, and and channel 47 at Kalkaska, much of Benzie and Leelanau will be left in the dark.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.