Traverse City, MI - HDTV - Page 7 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #181 of 1760 Old 01-23-2006, 03:47 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Is there any way to subscribe to Charter HD only and not receive any other channels? Charter is WAY to expensive compared to satellite and I don't want Dish HD because there are no locals in HD and they won't give me distants in HD either. OTA HD is impossible in my location.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 1760 Old 01-24-2006, 04:20 AM
Advanced Member

I don't know about this. But I doubt it. Charter is in the business to make money, and the best way to make the most bang for the buck, is to have "conditions" for a premium service like HD; eg. you must have expanded basic and digital first. I would be surprised if it were different. The only way to know for sure is to ask Charter.

Mike

"Common Practice Does Not Necessarily Mean Common Sense."
post #183 of 1760 Old 01-24-2006, 06:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by knightc2 View Post

Is there any way to subscribe to Charter HD only and not receive any other channels? Charter is WAY to expensive compared to satellite and I don't want Dish HD because there are no locals in HD and they won't give me distants in HD either. OTA HD is impossible in my location.

I only pay for channels 1-13, and I have the HD Pack..

I had to call Charter about a half dozen times to get them to agree to it, it definately is not company policy to allow it..Just be persistent and you will get what you want eventually..
post #184 of 1760 Old 01-24-2006, 09:18 AM

Just wanted to post and say I'm new here--just got a Humax STB today. I live near Torch Lake and rent, so an outdoor antenna is impossible. With my indoor antenna, I get only NBC and PBS through the STB. I ordered a silver sensor to see if that helps things any.

Here's hoping that the stations get their act together and start the tower near Kalkaska. I'd be 10 miles away!

Also, does anybody know the story with ABC? I get their SD signal perfectly through regular television, but get nothing through the STB.
post #185 of 1760 Old 01-24-2006, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guffy1 View Post

I had to call Charter about a half dozen times to get them to agree to it, it definately is not company policy to allow it..Just be persistent and you will get what you want eventually..

I currently do not have Charter and do not know if I will have it (read my post(s) way back in this thread) since they want over $4000 to run cable 1400 feet to my house. We do have neighbors building next to us so they may waive the installation at some point. I am happy with satellite (Dish), but I really want local HDTV which is impossible OTA or through satellite at this time. My though was that if Charter ever ran the cable to me I might be able to get the HD channels only since I have no interest in paying their outrageous cable fees.

I will have to call them if the situation ever comes up and try I guess. I know that I did this with DirecTV a while back with the music channels. I called to cancel and told them that the only thing I ever watched was the music channels so they offered to cancel all the channels and leave the music for $2.99 a month. That was really cool.
post #186 of 1760 Old 01-24-2006, 11:41 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Hey Guffy. With your present Charter package, could you list the channels you get; 1-13 plus the HD channels?
Thanks.
Mike

"Common Practice Does Not Necessarily Mean Common Sense."
post #187 of 1760 Old 01-27-2006, 11:01 AM

I've got a question about ABC--I get the NBC digital station perfectly. Antennaweb is listing the ABC digital tower at 4 miles closer to me than the NBC tower, and yet I'm not getting any reception. I know they aren't HD yet, but is the digital ABC up and running?
post #188 of 1760 Old 01-27-2006, 11:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimpy View Post

I've got a question about ABC--I get the NBC digital station perfectly. Antennaweb is listing the ABC digital tower at 4 miles closer to me than the NBC tower, and yet I'm not getting any reception. I know they aren't HD yet, but is the digital ABC up and running?

ABC 29-1 was up and running just fine last I knew..

I live in Traverse City and I'm 30 miles from that tower, always picked it up with a signal in the 70's, never any problem at all, with just an indoor antenna...

I have had my OTA setup disconnected for about 3 weeks though, so maybe theres a problem or something has changed..

EDIT: I hooked up my OTA antenna and 29-1 is coming in fine..When it will switch over to HD is anyones guess...Maybe never..
post #189 of 1760 Old 01-27-2006, 11:45 AM

Quote:

ABC 29-1 was up and running just fine last I knew..

I live in Traverse City and I'm 30 miles from that tower, always picked it up with a signal in the 70's, never any problem at all, with just an indoor antenna...

I have had my OTA setup disconnected for about 3 weeks though, so maybe theres a problem or something has changed..

EDIT: I hooked up my OTA antenna and 29-1 is coming in fine..When it will switch over to HD is anyones guess...Maybe never..

Hmmm...that's bizarre...I've tried two indoor antennas and I can't get it either way.
post #190 of 1760 Old 01-27-2006, 11:46 AM

Quote:

I get the ABC 29-1 in Suttons Bay with a strong signal. I'm using a very directional antenna pointing at NBC and CBS which is directly South from my location but the ABC signal from the side is still strong.
Are you using a directional antenna? NBC and ABC would be at very different directions at your location.
Are you getting any indication of a channel when doing a channel scan? What receiver are you using?

John
post #191 of 1760 Old 01-27-2006, 11:52 AM

I'm using a Humax HFA100 receiver. What is odd to me is that PBS-DT and ABC-DT seem to be using the same tower--they're the same distance away and the same compass orientation on antennaweb. I get PBS-DT in perfectly, yet ABC isn't being recognized by the tuner.

I have both a silver sensor antenna and a Jensen dual-amplified antenna, and both of them pick up only NBC and PBS.

Anybody have any ideas?
post #192 of 1760 Old 01-27-2006, 11:57 AM

Quote:

I'm using a Humax HFA100 receiver. What is odd to me is that PBS-DT and ABC-DT seem to be using the same tower--they're the same distance away and the same compass orientation on antennaweb. I get PBS-DT in perfectly, yet ABC isn't being recognized by the tuner.

I have both a silver sensor antenna and a Jensen dual-amplified antenna, and both of them pick up only NBC and PBS.

Anybody have any ideas?

Strange problem. Do you re-aim the antenna when you go from NBC to PBS?
Are you getting any programming on PBS 27-1? I was in Suttons Bay for New Years and could only get a picture on 27-2.

John
post #193 of 1760 Old 01-27-2006, 11:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by water1 View Post

Strange problem. Do you re-aim the antenna when you go from NBC to PBS?
Are you getting any programming on PBS 27-1? I was in Suttons Bay for New Years and could only get a picture on 27-2.

Only 27-2 here...My receiver has been picking up 27-1 for a good 6 months now, but no programming..
post #194 of 1760 Old 01-27-2006, 12:01 PM

No, I don't re-aim the antenna at all. I get 27-2 in perfectly--I don't think 27-1 has any HD programming running yet.

Anyone else with any ideas? I'm close to returning my tuner for another one if I can't figure this out.
post #195 of 1760 Old 01-27-2006, 12:06 PM

This is a long shot, but I would suggest aiming the antenna directly at the ABC antenna and doing another channel scan before going the exchange route. I've had to do a lot of troubleshooting and sometimes it a simple little detail that finally works.

John
post #196 of 1760 Old 01-27-2006, 12:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

No, I don't re-aim the antenna at all. I get 27-2 in perfectly--I don't think 27-1 has any HD programming running yet.

Anyone else with any ideas? I'm close to returning my tuner for another one if I can't figure this out.

I have no idea..PBS and ABC are definitely being transmitted from the same tower..

Very strange problem, indeed..
post #197 of 1760 Old 01-27-2006, 12:16 PM

Well, I just tried re-scanning with the antenna aimed directly at the tower, and still nothing. It's disappointing to say the least.
post #198 of 1760 Old 01-27-2006, 12:26 PM

When 29-1 first started their digital broadcasting the PSIP information was really screwey. I had multiple receivers that were reporting different channel numbers for their station. I contacted the station engineer and that was resolved. Currently the FOX station in Detroit is causing problems with certain brands of receivers. I mention all this just to suggest that trying a different brand of receiver may help.
Do you have a friend with a DirecTv HD receiver you could borrow as a test?

John
post #199 of 1760 Old 01-27-2006, 12:31 PM

No, I don't know anyone with another receiver to try out. My original thought is that it could be an issue with the Humax brand. That is why I'm thinking of returning it.

Is it possible to buy a DirecTV HD receiver and use it as an over the air tuner without paying for service? I've seen DirecTV HD receivers in some stores around here for decent prices.
post #200 of 1760 Old 01-27-2006, 12:43 PM

Quote:

No, I don't know anyone with another receiver to try out. My original thought is that it could be an issue with the Humax brand. That is why I'm thinking of returning it.

Is it possible to buy a DirecTV HD receiver and use it as an over the air tuner without paying for service? I've seen DirecTV HD receivers in some stores around here for decent prices.

Some of the Directv receivers will work without the service but no guide information. The good price you are seeing is based on signing up for the Dirctv service.
Radio Shack had a closeout on an Accurion receiver but they seem to be gone, although some are showing up on E-Bay.

John
post #201 of 1760 Old 01-27-2006, 12:47 PM

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=479882

Might want to check out this thread.

John
post #202 of 1760 Old 02-01-2006, 07:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Universal HD Channel 793 on Charter in Traverse City has been added..

Charter lineup is starting to look fairly impressive, now if the quality could just get a little better we'd be in real good shape..
post #203 of 1760 Old 02-05-2006, 06:53 AM
AVS Special Member

I doubt anyone here cares, but I talked personally to the head engineer at ABC (WGTU) and he claims ABCHD should be live on Charter in late February/early March..He also said he didnt expect they would go OTA until at least 2007..

Still trying to get some kind of word from FOX, but they are not very responsive at all..Would be nice to get FOXHD online by football season next year..
post #204 of 1760 Old 02-05-2006, 07:17 AM

If ABC is not going OTA until 2007, you can expect the same for Charter. At least at the Allendale Super headend (Which serves TC for most all except locals) Charter receives the HD signal over the air. But it may be different up here.
post #205 of 1760 Old 02-05-2006, 07:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by budone View Post

If ABC is not going OTA until 2007, you can expect the same for Charter. At least at the Allendale Super headend (Which serves TC for most all except locals) Charter receives the HD signal over the air. But it may be different up here.

The head engineer for ABC told me it was going to be a direct fiber setup...

I have had multiple contacts at Charter tell me the same thing this engineer is telling me..

I personally believe its true, but we shall see..
post #206 of 1760 Old 02-05-2006, 12:43 PM

[quote=guffy1]I doubt anyone here cares, but I talked personally to the head engineer at ABC (WGTU) and he claims ABCHD should be live on Charter in late February/early March..He also said he didnt expect they would go OTA until at least 2007..QUOTE]

I care, I can only receive ABC OTA. At least I'm in Detroit to watch the Superbowl this weekend.

John
post #207 of 1760 Old 02-05-2006, 07:17 PM - Thread Starter

I think that's great news. I'm on the waiting list for a DVR from Charter after finally getting fed up with Dish Network. The announcement of Universal HD and ABC HD makes my decision a little easier.

"I've been ruminating. And by ruminating, I mean pondering. Not chewing my cud."
post #208 of 1760 Old 02-05-2006, 07:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHuibregtse View Post

I think that's great news. I'm on the waiting list for a DVR from Charter after finally getting fed up with Dish Network. The announcement of Universal HD and ABC HD makes my decision a little easier.

Ive been onthe waiting list for 5 months now, starting to get extremely frustrated..

If I dont get one in the next few months I may be done with Charter..

Also, what do you think the chances are that we will actually be contated regarding that waiting list?

I say chances are slim to none, so I call them every single day, sometimes 2 or 3 times a day..lol
post #209 of 1760 Old 02-05-2006, 07:53 PM - Thread Starter

They told me late March - early April they'd be getting restocked on DVRs. It is Charter though. What is the model of standard HD receiver they use in Traverse City?

"I've been ruminating. And by ruminating, I mean pondering. Not chewing my cud."
post #210 of 1760 Old 02-05-2006, 08:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHuibregtse View Post

They told me late March - early April they'd be getting restocked on DVRs. It is Charter though. What is the model of standard HD receiver they use in Traverse City?

They told you that on the telephone, or at a Charter office?

Last time I asked at my local Charter office they told me 2007, that was about 3 months ago.. When I call on the phone they always say no ETA, and like I say, I call pretty much call every day, and I always ask for the ETA..

Im pretty sure my HD box is a Motorola DCT6200..Not positive though..
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page