Traverse City, MI - HDTV - Page 8 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #211 of 1760 Old 02-05-2006, 09:09 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
2007? I'll be able to go pick it up in my flying car! I've only spoken with them on the phone, the local office people usually aren't very knowledgeable.

Dish Network is offering an MPEG4 DVR for $299. The trick is, that it's a lease. You still get the honor of paying $15 a month for it, and it must be returned when you cancel service.

"I've been ruminating. And by ruminating, I mean pondering. Not chewing my cud."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #212 of 1760 Old 02-06-2006, 05:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHuibregtse View Post

They told me late March - early April they'd be getting restocked on DVRs. It is Charter though. What is the model of standard HD receiver they use in Traverse City?

I had planned on returning my Moxi to Charter when I fianlly sell my house Down state, I think I will just convert my acct and bring the box when I finally get service up here.

This sounds like a horror story.
post #213 of 1760 Old 02-06-2006, 07:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by budone View Post

I had planned on returning my Moxi to Charter when I fianlly sell my house Down state, I think I will just convert my acct and bring the box when I finally get service up here.

This sounds like a horror story.

I would highly reccomend that, becasue the person that works in the Traverse City office happens to be very knowledgeable..

When he told me TNTHD and Cinemax HD were being added, they got added..When he told me about UniversalHD, it got added..

When he tells me no more Moxis until 2007, I dont want to believe it, but I have no choice, the guy has always been dead nuts right with everything he says..
post #214 of 1760 Old 02-06-2006, 07:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

2007? I'll be able to go pick it up in my flying car! I've only spoken with them on the phone, the local office people usually aren't very knowledgeable.

Dish Network is offering an MPEG4 DVR for $299. The trick is, that it's a lease. You still get the honor of paying $15 a month for it, and it must be returned when you cancel service.

My experience has always been that the people on the phone know absolutely zero.. Less than zero, if thats possible..

My experience with the people in my local office has always been exactly the opposite..

Im betting the guy at my local is just saying 2007 to cover his ass against more delays, thats just my guess though..
post #215 of 1760 Old 02-06-2006, 11:39 AM
AVS Special Member

RED ALERT: I called Charter today about the DVR, and supposedly they are coming to install tomorrow..I'll believe it when it happens though..

The jack off on the phone is claiming its a 40 gig HD capable DVR, I highly doubt its only 40 gigs, if I end up getting one at all, which I have my doubts..

Dealing with Charter phone reps is like dealing with circus clowns..I will update as to what happens..
post #216 of 1760 Old 02-06-2006, 08:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guffy1 View Post

RED ALERT: I called Charter today about the DVR, and supposedly they are coming to install tomorrow..I'll believe it when it happens though..

The jack off on the phone is claiming its a 40 gig HD capable DVR, I highly doubt its only 40 gigs, if I end up getting one at all, which I have my doubts..

Dealing with Charter phone reps is like dealing with circus clowns..I will update as to what happens..

80gig is the size of the Hard Drive on a Moxi. You can get 8-9 HD one hour programs on it before it starts to erase automatically to make room...of course if you have programmed the system to delete. But I still love the unit.
post #217 of 1760 Old 02-07-2006, 05:59 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Universal HD Channel 793 on Charter in Traverse City has been added..

Charter lineup is starting to look fairly impressive, now if the quality could just get a little better we'd be in real good shape..

What is Universal HD? And what kind of programming is on it?
Thanks.

Mike

"Common Practice Does Not Necessarily Mean Common Sense."
post #218 of 1760 Old 02-07-2006, 06:08 AM - Thread Starter

Universal HD used to be known as BravoHD. It's owned by NBC-Universal, and mainly shows older movies and repurposed content from the two companies. They will be showing Winter Olympics stuff on there as well.

"I've been ruminating. And by ruminating, I mean pondering. Not chewing my cud."
post #219 of 1760 Old 02-07-2006, 09:23 AM
AVS Special Member

I did have a Moxi box installed today, 80 gig...

The HD PQ is a bit softer with this box than the regular HD box, IMO

The DVI port is being a bit troublesome also, but I think Ill be able to make due with the issues...

Im so happy to finally be able to record HD! Its about time!

NOTE: Charter has bumped the lease price on DVR's up to $14.99 a month, pretty outrageous if you ask me..
post #220 of 1760 Old 02-07-2006, 07:24 PM - Thread Starter

At least you don't have to pay Charter $299 for the honor of leasing it for $14.99 a month!

post #221 of 1760 Old 02-08-2006, 10:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

At least you don't have to pay Charter $299 for the honor of leasing it for $14.99 a month!

No kidding..Having to purchase the unit, and then lease what youve purchased is pretty much out of the question...

Their new HD programming rates are looking pretty outrageous too..

Add to that no local HD Networks..I dont see how anyone that wants HD in this area could ever seriously consider DISH..
post #222 of 1760 Old 02-12-2006, 06:50 PM

good dialogue everyone...

i'm in saginaw/bay city area....been on d* for years, have hd set and hd receiver, but then we went to sd-dvr...now i'm looking to go hd-dvr, but i want to shop around first...

i'm trying to wrap my brain around what d* can offer or go with charter or dish hd-dvr...seems to be very confusing research...

with my current d* sd-dvr, i can record 2 programs @ the same time on 2 different channels on 1 central tv....can this be done with charter or dish's hd-dvr's?

also, i really like the on-screen grid style programming/channel guide on the d* stb....is it similar on the charter or dish hd-dvr's?

do the charter and dish hd-dvr's have preferably dvi (or hdmi) outputs?

right now i don't pay d* exorbitant price for their inferior hd package, but i pull some nice hd from an ota antenna....

so, basically, i'm looking to upgrade to an hd-dvr that has better hd programming packages, is not too costly (don't wanna really invest in alot of new hardware), has nice sd and hd image quality, etc.

it's very hard to jump into something new, cause there's really nowhere to go and try it out and view it before purchasing it....

i'm using charter for high speed internet, so i thought it would be a good idea to maybe try one of their hd packages, but i have no idea what kind of box i'll get....how user friendly it is and what kind of outputs it has...

so, if you guys can enlighten me a little bit about your experiences with d*, charter and dish re: hd-dvr's, i'd sure appreciate it!

thanks!

Dave
post #223 of 1760 Old 02-12-2006, 07:00 PM

another quick question...

do charter or dish hd-dvr stb's have an input for my ota antenna? such that my local ota channels can be integrated into the channel guide lineup?

thanks!

Dave
post #224 of 1760 Old 02-13-2006, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by holemania View Post

good dialogue everyone...

with my current d* sd-dvr, i can record 2 programs @ the same time on 2 different channels on 1 central tv....can this be done with charter or dish's hd-dvr's?

also, i really like the on-screen grid style programming/channel guide on the d* stb....is it similar on the charter or dish hd-dvr's?

do the charter and dish hd-dvr's have preferably dvi (or hdmi) outputs?

right now i don't pay d* exorbitant price for their inferior hd package, but i pull some nice hd from an ota antenna....

so, basically, i'm looking to upgrade to an hd-dvr that has better hd programming packages, is not too costly (don't wanna really invest in alot of new hardware), has nice sd and hd image quality, etc.

it's very hard to jump into something new, cause there's really nowhere to go and try it out and view it before purchasing it....

i'm using charter for high speed internet, so i thought it would be a good idea to maybe try one of their hd packages, but i have no idea what kind of box i'll get....how user friendly it is and what kind of outputs it has...

so, if you guys can enlighten me a little bit about your experiences with d*, charter and dish re: hd-dvr's, i'd sure appreciate it!

thanks!

Yes, with the Moxi that Charter offers, it does record two different channels at the same time.

Charters guide thru the Moxi, is nothing like D* guide. And it takes a bit to get used to.

Charter has started enabling the dvi outputs. I do not know if in Saginaw it has occurred.

Also, I do not believe there is an OTA input on the Moxi.
post #225 of 1760 Old 02-13-2006, 10:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by budone View Post

Yes, with the Moxi that Charter offers, it does record two different channels at the same time.

Charters guide thru the Moxi, is nothing like D* guide. And it takes a bit to get used to.

Charter has started enabling the dvi outputs. I do not know if in Saginaw it has occurred.

Also, I do not believe there is an OTA input on the Moxi.

No, there is no OTA input on Moxis, or any other Charter box for that matter..

DVI is enabled in Traverse City, not sure in the Saginaw area..

The guide on the Moxi is awful, IMO..

Dosent Saginaw/Midland/Bay City have their own local HDTV thread?

I would think the poster would be better off asking questions over there if the answer is yes..
post #226 of 1760 Old 02-13-2006, 03:01 PM

Quote:

DVI is enabled in Traverse City, not sure in the Saginaw area..

The guide on the Moxi is awful, IMO..

Dosent Saginaw/Midland/Bay City have their own local HDTV thread?

I would think the poster would be better off asking questions over there if the answer is yes..

guffy,

* glad you guys brought up the point of whether dvi port is enabled or not.....i figure if the dvi output is there, you should be able to use it.....

* sorry to hear about the inferior guide on the moxi.....one thing we do enjoy is the d* guide

* yes, there is a saginaw/midland/bay city thread....i've posted there as well....i'm just trying to get the best all-around view of how well charter lines up with d*.....so, the more feedback i can get...the better.

thanks for all your comments...

Dave
post #227 of 1760 Old 02-13-2006, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by holemania View Post

guffy,

* yes, there is a saginaw/midland/bay city thread....i've posted there as well....i'm just trying to get the best all-around view of how well charter lines up with d*.....so, the more feedback i can get...the better.

thanks for all your comments...

Just keep in mind, what we may speak about can be completely different in the Tri Cities.

PS I am speaking about the Moxi and the service out of Coopersville/Allendale
post #228 of 1760 Old 03-03-2006, 06:23 AM

I just stumbled upon this forum, and decided to join in hopes of keeping the conversation going. I live in the Lake City area, and have a outdoor bowtie antenna with a pre-amp, and get all the local digital signals, with the exception of Fox. I wondered if anybody had heard the news today that CBS has apparently ordered next fall's versions of Survivor and the Amazing race to be shot in HD and is outfitting the crews with cameras. Cool!
post #229 of 1760 Old 03-03-2006, 06:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonyLCD View Post

I just stumbled upon this forum, and decided to join in hopes of keeping the conversation going. I live in the Lake City area, and have a outdoor bowtie antenna with a pre-amp, and get all the local digital signals, with the exception of Fox. I wondered if anybody had heard the news today that CBS has apparently ordered next fall's versions of Survivor and the Amazing race to be shot in HD and is outfitting the crews with cameras. Cool!

Hadnt heard about that...Cool! I will definately start watching Amazing Race if it goes HD..Survivor I can do without though...

Can you tell me if the OTA signal for CBS pixelates and breaks up constantly like it does on Charter? Tx
post #230 of 1760 Old 03-06-2006, 04:50 AM

Nope, I've never had the problem with CBS that I have seen described on this forum. I think that must be a Charter issue. The only problem I have with CBS is that I get too MUCH signal sometimes, because of the pre-amp that I need to get the Traverse City/Kalkaska stations.
post #231 of 1760 Old 03-31-2006, 10:35 AM

Anyone have any updated info as to when these two may be available on Charter Cable?
post #232 of 1760 Old 04-04-2006, 04:51 AM

I contacted WGTU before the Super Bowl to see about their HD plans, and they said they were even hoping to be on Charter before that. Apparently, things have been delayed. Even Charter won't help most of us, who can't get cable. It didn't sound like they had any plans at all to actually BROADCAST an HD signal. As for Fox, I would never hold my breath about them going HD in any form, cable or off air. It amazes me that 9 & 10 has been in HD on BOTH stations for almost 5 years and other stations STILL can't ante up the money to be HD on one.
post #233 of 1760 Old 04-04-2006, 05:31 AM
AVS Special Member

I talked to the head engineer at WGTU back in January and he seemed more than confident that ABCHD would be available on Charter soon..What he told me was late February to early March..I tried contacting this guy a few weeks ago and got no response from him at all, so I dont know what the delay is..I would expect ABCHD to show up eventually though...

As far as I know FOX has no plans whatsoever for any form of HD, as stated by the last poster..They are total HD deadbeats..
post #234 of 1760 Old 04-12-2006, 02:02 PM

Quote:

I contacted WGTU before the Super Bowl to see about their HD plans, and they said they were even hoping to be on Charter before that. Apparently, things have been delayed. Even Charter won't help most of us, who can't get cable. It didn't sound like they had any plans at all to actually BROADCAST an HD signal. As for Fox, I would never hold my breath about them going HD in any form, cable or off air. It amazes me that 9 & 10 has been in HD on BOTH stations for almost 5 years and other stations STILL can't ante up the money to be HD on one.

It would appear that the only locally owned station is the one that has put together the best business plan. TV 9&10 has done a fabulous job of presenting up to date technology while using reasonable height and power to get it to us. There going digital in their back office is a fine example of this. It was a known issue that Raycom did not have big pockets and the station shuffle that they are going through has left 7&4 in interesting straights. If the postings in some of the other web sites are true we will not see any improvements in 7&4's offerings any time soon with the new company. In fact, there are some suggestions that 7&4 might see remote control of many of the behind the scenes issues. The hint behind the suggestion is that these big media outlets concern themselves with the bottom line more than the product being offered. In other words, there are some suggestions out there that the new 7&4 team may be cheap: time will tell. What this means for local NBC HDTV is too early to tell. With all of that said, there is no hope for our local ABC and FOX outlets. They just don't seem to want to put the necessary business plan together to step up to the new technologies. I wonder what would have happened locally if the original cut-over analog to digital dates would have been forced to be met?

Question: besides Lion's football, does anyone watch FOX?
post #235 of 1760 Old 04-12-2006, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ogre5697 View Post

It would appear that the only locally owned station is the one that has put together the best business plan. TV 9&10 has done a fabulous job of presenting up to date technology while using reasonable height and power to get it to us. There going digital in their back office is a fine example of this. It was a known issue that Raycom did not have big pockets and the station shuffle that they are going through has left 7&4 in interesting straights. If the postings in some of the other web sites are true we will not see any improvements in 7&4's offerings any time soon with the new company. In fact, there are some suggestions that 7&4 might see remote control of many of the behind the scenes issues. The hint behind the suggestion is that these big media outlets concern themselves with the bottom line more than the product being offered. In other words, there are some suggestions out there that the new 7&4 team may be cheap: time will tell. What this means for local NBC HDTV is too early to tell. With all of that said, there is no hope for our local ABC and FOX outlets. They just don't seem to want to put the necessary business plan together to step up to the new technologies. I wonder what would have happened locally if the original cut-over analog to digital dates would have been forced to be met?

Question: besides Lion's football, does anyone watch FOX?

American Idol & 24; rest is garbage except for NASCAR
post #236 of 1760 Old 04-13-2006, 05:54 AM

Wish I could get 9&10 here in Interlochen tried many times with alot of different equiptment, no luck.
post #237 of 1760 Old 04-14-2006, 04:50 AM

You must live in a valley. My dad gets Channel 40 just south of Traverse City with Rabbit Ears.
post #238 of 1760 Old 04-14-2006, 06:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

You must live in a valley. My dad gets Channel 40 just south of Traverse City with Rabbit Ears.

I live just South of TC on top of a hill...Cant come remotely close to bringing in CBSHD with my Silver Sensor type Terk indoor...I'm using a D* H20 for my STB , which is known for great OTA reception...
post #239 of 1760 Old 04-15-2006, 07:10 AM

ya ive tried alot of different receivers, ive got a huge Channel Master UHF anntenna and amp with a rotor and all, and still cant pick up 9&10, I can receive a signal from WBAY out of Green Bay, but its not strong enough tp put out a picture, my receiver see it but its not strong enough, so I guess 9&10 is not at full output I hope, cause when analog goes out I will be without CBS
post #240 of 1760 Old 05-02-2006, 11:36 AM

tvb6171 - I am just north of Clare and can receive 9&10 OTA HD signal and have a very large hill between me and the station. Seems to me you should get a signal at Interlochen. At first my Sony Wega TV could not find the station but after several re-scans it finally locked onto the signal and have a great picture ever since.
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page