Roanoke, VA / Bluefield, WV - HDTV - Page 207 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!


Forum Jump: 
 2Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #6181 of 6193 Old 04-29-2015, 04:53 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member
 
Trip in VA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Alexandria, VA, US | Age: 26
Posts: 14,734
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 237 Post(s)
Liked: 89
Send a message via AIM to Trip in VA Send a message via Yahoo to Trip in VA
Quote:
Originally Posted by wdbjalan View Post
I turned Decades on Monday morning right after 9AM. Decades is up now but doesn't do their launch until May 19th or something like that so what you are seeing now is test material and will not be what they are showing. Pete - before you get your bit rate panties in a mess, I have the latest and greatest Harmonic 9200 series of encoder and the bit rate for Decades and My19 combined is surprisingly low and should not impact 7.1. If I had NetVX you would probably see it but not with the Harmonic.
To answer Pete's question first, my parents' Internet connection is currently being killed by interference so I can't update my bitrates. I actually pulled the numbers I have now off the front of the encoders when I was at WDBJ in 2009; perhaps Alan would like to update me? But once their Internet returns, I will update WDBJ based on TSReader output accordingly.

I'm actually rather pleased that Roanoke is finally getting some variety in the sub-channel market. Decades on WDBJ, plus COZI (and soon Movies!) on WFFP. I'm hoping WFFP at some point stops upconverting COZI and Movies! and instead does a collection of SD channels. There's plenty of them out there!

- Trip

N4MJC

Comments are my own and not that of the FCC (my employer) or anyone else.

RabbitEars

"Ignorance and prejudice and fear walk hand in hand..." - Rush "Witch Hunt"

Trip in VA is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #6182 of 6193 Old 04-29-2015, 07:41 AM
Advanced Member
 
Pete-N2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Lynchburg, VA
Posts: 607
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by wdbjalan View Post
Pete - before you get your bit rate panties in a mess, I have the latest and greatest Harmonic 9200 series of encoder and the bit rate for Decades and My19 combined is surprisingly low and should not impact 7.1. If I had NetVX you would probably see it but not with the Harmonic.
Good to know. I must say that most of the time when you guys (WDBJ) do something you do it right. I have never had any complaints about your PQ.

Disclaimer: Perceived PQ is very much dependent on screen size and distance from the screen, and probably the chip set in your TV. YMMV.

And finally it seems to me that the PQ on WSLS has improved (less macro blocking). I don't know if that's due to a technical change or the content I am watching. (Not very much.)
Pete-N2 is offline  
post #6183 of 6193 Old 05-01-2015, 02:36 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member
 
Trip in VA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Alexandria, VA, US | Age: 26
Posts: 14,734
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 237 Post(s)
Liked: 89
Send a message via AIM to Trip in VA Send a message via Yahoo to Trip in VA
I've updated the TSReader data for all of the Roanoke stations my parents can see. WDBJ's bitrate on the two SD channels was essentially just the previous My 19 bitrate chopped in half.

- Trip

N4MJC

Comments are my own and not that of the FCC (my employer) or anyone else.

RabbitEars

"Ignorance and prejudice and fear walk hand in hand..." - Rush "Witch Hunt"


Last edited by Trip in VA; 05-01-2015 at 02:45 AM.
Trip in VA is online now  
post #6184 of 6193 Old 05-01-2015, 10:33 PM
Senior Member
 
wdbjalan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 342
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip in VA View Post
I've updated the TSReader data for all of the Roanoke stations my parents can see. WDBJ's bitrate on the two SD channels was essentially just the previous My 19 bitrate chopped in half.

- Trip
Trip - since I don't hear from you much - do you have RUSH tix?

I have one for Greensboro on the 28th- going by myself and have two for the 30th at Bristow. Not sure who I am taking..
wdbjalan is offline  
post #6185 of 6193 Old 05-02-2015, 03:40 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member
 
Trip in VA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Alexandria, VA, US | Age: 26
Posts: 14,734
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 237 Post(s)
Liked: 89
Send a message via AIM to Trip in VA Send a message via Yahoo to Trip in VA
Yep, I'm going to the Bristow show on the 30th. I got two tickets but I don't know if I'm taking my fiancee (she's not a Rush fan, but nobody's perfect) or my friend who I saw Metallica with in college.

Are you staying over up here or driving back afterward?

- Trip

N4MJC

Comments are my own and not that of the FCC (my employer) or anyone else.

RabbitEars

"Ignorance and prejudice and fear walk hand in hand..." - Rush "Witch Hunt"

Trip in VA is online now  
post #6186 of 6193 Old 05-02-2015, 05:37 AM
Advanced Member
 
Pete-N2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Lynchburg, VA
Posts: 607
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by wdbjalan View Post
Trip - since I don't hear from you much - do you have RUSH tix?

I have one for Greensboro on the 28th- going by myself and have two for the 30th at Bristow. Not sure who I am taking..
Before you head to the concert how about fixing that state of the art PSIP system you have that can't tell time. Since you added 7.3 the clock has been about 4 minutes slow. It used to be exactly 16 seconds slow.

NBC 29 is exactly 16 seconds slow and since WFFP 24 got their PSIP system up and running their clock is exactly 16 seconds slow. I'm beginning to think you guys might be using the same system and this is a software/firmware issue.

What system are you using? Do these systems normally come with a warranty and a period of tech support?

BTW thanks for going to 24 hours of program information. It has made programming the DVR easier.
Pete-N2 is offline  
post #6187 of 6193 Old 05-02-2015, 03:01 PM
Senior Member
 
wdbjalan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 342
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip in VA View Post
Yep, I'm going to the Bristow show on the 30th. I got two tickets but I don't know if I'm taking my fiancee (she's not a Rush fan, but nobody's perfect) or my friend who I saw Metallica with in college.

Are you staying over up here or driving back afterward?

- Trip
I am staying up there.
wdbjalan is offline  
post #6188 of 6193 Old 05-02-2015, 03:03 PM
Senior Member
 
wdbjalan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 342
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete-N2 View Post
Before you head to the concert how about fixing that state of the art PSIP system you have that can't tell time. Since you added 7.3 the clock has been about 4 minutes slow. It used to be exactly 16 seconds slow.

NBC 29 is exactly 16 seconds slow and since WFFP 24 got their PSIP system up and running their clock is exactly 16 seconds slow. I'm beginning to think you guys might be using the same system and this is a software/firmware issue.

What system are you using? Do these systems normally come with a warranty and a period of tech support?

BTW thanks for going to 24 hours of program information. It has made programming the DVR easier.
The system is locked to house timeserver that is locked to GPS. The system time is right on the money. There are no settings that I am aware of for clock.
wdbjalan is offline  
post #6189 of 6193 Old 05-03-2015, 05:45 AM
Advanced Member
 
Pete-N2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Lynchburg, VA
Posts: 607
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by wdbjalan View Post
The system time is right on the money.
I don't think so. Attached:

Screen shot from the Samsung. OSD 8:20 (correct), PSIP 8:16.

Screen shot from the Sony. OSD 8:21, time remaining 42 (If its 8:21 and the program ends at 9:00 there are 39 minutes left)

Finally (and primarily) the diagnostics on the OTA DVR display your PSIP time in GMT and that is also 4 minutes behind NIST on the tablet.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00127.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	195.1 KB
ID:	698306   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00129.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	212.1 KB
ID:	698314  
Pete-N2 is offline  
post #6190 of 6193 Old 05-03-2015, 11:54 AM
Senior Member
 
wdbjalan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 342
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete-N2 View Post
I don't think so. Attached:

Screen shot from the Samsung. OSD 8:20 (correct), PSIP 8:16.

Screen shot from the Sony. OSD 8:21, time remaining 42 (If its 8:21 and the program ends at 9:00 there are 39 minutes left)

Finally (and primarily) the diagnostics on the OTA DVR display your PSIP time in GMT and that is also 4 minutes behind NIST on the tablet.
I'm not going to argue with you but I can watch the program editor and when the clock hits the hour the next event is placed on-air. I am not sure what clock you are seeing but I have a lot bigger things to worry about than this.
wdbjalan is offline  
post #6191 of 6193 Old 05-04-2015, 02:56 PM
Advanced Member
 
ejb1980's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: NW VT
Posts: 757
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 25
On my TVs (LG and Samsung), the clock that shows with that info (at the top) is set by the TV, not the channel. I can make it say anything I want - or have it do "auto" but it doesn't recognize DST in that mode.
ejb1980 is offline  
post #6192 of 6193 Old 05-04-2015, 07:19 PM
Senior Member
 
wdbjalan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 342
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by ejb1980 View Post
On my TVs (LG and Samsung), the clock that shows with that info (at the top) is set by the TV, not the channel. I can make it say anything I want - or have it do "auto" but it doesn't recognize DST in that mode.
Thanks. Maybe you can explain it. I am looking at gear that this guy has never set eyes on and can look at system clocks and the real time program guides advancing to the second but yet tells a number of us we are wrong. Just remember he can buy his consumer gear at WalMart. Not so much here.
wdbjalan is offline  
post #6193 of 6193 Old 07-01-2015, 05:09 PM
Senior Member
 
chopkins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Rocky Mount, VA
Posts: 268
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Wffp tv movies!

Does anybody know when WFFP TV will actually broadcast MOVIES! on 24.2?
chopkins is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off