Roanoke, VA / Bluefield, WV - HDTV - Page 208 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

Old 08-18-2015, 10:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 419 Post(s)
Liked: 126
Quote:
Originally Posted by gman40 View Post
Also speaking of WFXR, they don't happen to stream their broadcast on the internet do they?
Most stations thesedays stream their newscasts, but not necessarily HD. I believe maybe WRAL and WUSA are streamed in HD possibly.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-18-2015, 11:10 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by tylerSC View Post
Most stations thesedays stream their newscasts, but not necessarily HD. I believe maybe WRAL and WUSA are streamed in HD possibly.
I was thinking in terms of a 24/7 stream, not just the newscasts.
Old 08-18-2015, 02:04 PM

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gman40 View Post
I was thinking in terms of a 24/7 stream, not just the newscasts.
For a 24/7 stream, the station would have to negotiate rights with program producers and suppliers; then there's the NFL, which may have its own streaming deal.

One person's craziness is another person's reality. - Tim Burton
Old 08-18-2015, 03:22 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 266 Post(s)
Liked: 93
Send a message via AIM to Trip in VA Send a message via Yahoo to Trip in VA
Quote:
Originally Posted by lburgguy View Post
Greetings all. Been a lurker and occasional poster here for years.

I just moved to Hurt, VA and am using a Channel Master CM-4228HD and it's working great. Using quad-shielded cable, run is about 40'. I don't have any way to measure signal strength on my current tv but reception seems better than Lynchburg, aiming the antenna at Poor Mountain.

I'd like to receive WBRA. I'm looking at the various ways to build your own antenna and I'm a bit confused. What would be the single-best way for me to get this low-vhf given the fact that I'm cheap but handy and I have room for whatever length would be required. Also, I guess I could use a combiner recommendation as well.

Thanks for any help.
If your current antenna is working fine for WSET, then you will definitely want one of these: http://www.solidsignal.com/pview.asp...HLSJ%29&q=hlsj

As for what to attach to the Lo side, you could certainly try rabbit ears extended to the right length, but it will take a lot of experimentation. Start small with the rabbit ears and if you can't get acceptable performance from them, we'll move onto something else.

- Trip

N4MJC

Comments are my own and not that of the FCC (my employer) or anyone else.

RabbitEars

"Ignorance and prejudice and fear walk hand in hand..." - Rush "Witch Hunt"

Old 08-18-2015, 05:20 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
@Trip, thanks but with that combiner what happens to my UHF? I spent a full six hours today trying to calculate what length to make a dipole and got hung up on Velocity Factor. I'd laugh if my rabbit ears worked! My rabbit ears are 31 inches each side with a few inches where they meet at the plastic part, 66 or so inches is close to what figured before VF. Thanks again BTW.
Old 08-19-2015, 02:32 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 266 Post(s)
Liked: 93
Send a message via AIM to Trip in VA Send a message via Yahoo to Trip in VA
You plug the UHF into the high side, since that side handles both UHF and high-VHF. So if your UHF antenna works fine for WSET, then hooking the UHF into the high side will solve your problem.

I would definitely start simple with the rabbit ears. I like to start simple and work my way to more complicated.

- Trip

N4MJC

Comments are my own and not that of the FCC (my employer) or anyone else.

RabbitEars

"Ignorance and prejudice and fear walk hand in hand..." - Rush "Witch Hunt"

Old 08-19-2015, 06:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip in VA View Post
You plug the UHF into the high side, since that side handles both UHF and high-VHF. So if your UHF antenna works fine for WSET, then hooking the UHF into the high side will solve your problem.

I would definitely start simple with the rabbit ears. I like to start simple and work my way to more complicated.

- Trip
Thanks Trip; I ordered the combiner, Macom model was OOS so I got a Cabletronix from ebay. I'll let you know how it goes in a bit. Thanks again!

-John
Old 08-19-2015, 07:55 AM

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mvcg66b3r View Post
For a 24/7 stream, the station would have to negotiate rights with program producers and suppliers; then there's the NFL, which may have its own streaming deal.
I kind of figured that. Thought I'd ask though.
Old Today, 06:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip in VA View Post

- Trip
Trip; I actually got the 89" dipole section of an old yagi, mounted that and no luck on WBRA. I think I'm going to give up at this point, not worth it. Especially now that I've got Kodi on an Amazon Fire Stick running (off topic I know).