Roanoke, VA / Bluefield, WV - HDTV - Page 22 - AVS Forum
First ... 20  21  22 23  24  ... Last
Local HDTV Info and Reception > Roanoke, VA / Bluefield, WV - HDTV
CPanther95's Avatar CPanther95 08:35 PM 01-10-2005
It was never going to fix itself, I had to check with the Admins and see how to reset the poll. Even they don't have the power to do that, only delete it. You'll have to start a new thread specifically for the poll if you guys want to do that. Make it a vote only poll though so the discussion doesn't get split up into two different threads.

fdm813's Avatar fdm813 12:50 AM 01-11-2005
Quote:

Originally posted by Trip in VA
I have the same issue. I was told a week ago to wait a few days and it should fix itself. This has not happened. I will contact him directly in the morning if I can.

Also, any word on Fox in HD? The first four episodes of 24 have gone by without it. It's very difficult to watch it analog when I know it's available in HD (I'd rather watch analog, because it looks better than the SD digital).

- Trip

Trip when I last spoke with Fox 27 (Friday), I was told they plan on having HD up and running by Superbowl Sunday.
fdm813's Avatar fdm813 12:51 AM 01-11-2005
Quote:

I have the same issue. I was told a week ago to wait a few days and it should fix itself. This has not happened. I will contact him directly in the morning if I can.

Also, any word on Fox in HD? The first four episodes of 24 have gone by without it. It's very difficult to watch it analog when I know it's available in HD (I'd rather watch analog, because it looks better than the SD digital).

- Trip

Trip when I last spoke with Fox 27 (Friday), I was told they plan on having HD up and running by Superbowl Sunday.
Trip in VA's Avatar Trip in VA 06:37 AM 01-11-2005
Quote:

Originally posted by fdm813

I know that. I was just hoping that they might have it up sooner.

- Trip
VAFrostByte's Avatar VAFrostByte 01:52 PM 01-13-2005
Does anyone else have problems with 21.2 being very dark? My signal strength is pretty good but the black levels are so dark that the picture is hardly visable. Thanks
chopkins's Avatar chopkins 05:11 PM 01-13-2005
Quote:

Does anyone else have problems with 21.2 being very dark? My signal strength is pretty good but the black levels are so dark that the picture is hardly visable. Thanks

I think it is almost unwatchable because it is so dark. I watch the analog signal instead.
fdm813's Avatar fdm813 12:07 AM 01-14-2005
Quote:

I know that. I was just hoping that they might have it up sooner.

- Trip

I was talking to a guy from Adelphia cable at Sheetz in Salem. I asked him about Fox in HD. He laughed and told me "with 21/27 you never know until it happens" I guess its like D*, you can guess all you want but it will not happen until it happens.
VAFrostByte's Avatar VAFrostByte 05:41 AM 01-14-2005
Thanks. I'm sure that I'll have more questions to come
crockem's Avatar crockem 05:02 PM 01-15-2005
I have two questions for experts on here since Im just getting started.

1- I noticed when the weather was bad that I had what I know of as rain fade. Is this normal or is it the D* Receiver I have.

2- Secondly I have an amplifier (25db) and a 6 ft. antena in my attic. Is there anything like a preamp or anything short of getting another antena that will bring me up above 60% on my receiption?

I appreciate your help.

Thanks
fdm813's Avatar fdm813 06:36 PM 01-15-2005
Quote:
Originally posted by crockem
I have two questions for experts on here since Im just getting started.

1- I noticed when the weather was bad that I had what I know of as rain fade. Is this normal or is it the D* Receiver I have.

2- Secondly I have an amplifier (25db) and a 6 ft. antena in my attic. Is there anything like a preamp or anything short of getting another antena that will bring me up above 60% on my receiption?

I appreciate your help.

Thanks

I can address the first question, the second one I cant help, but I'm sure someone else can. The rain fade on D*, it happens though not nearly as much as it use to. I have been with D* for eight years and when they went with the 3 LNB oval dish the only time I have had with loosing picture during a rain storm, is when there is a heavy thunderstorm like Thursday night. This does not happen often. To me the benefits of, price and better PQ makes up for the occasional thunderstorm.
crockem's Avatar crockem 07:43 PM 01-15-2005
Quote:
I can address the first question, the second one I cant help, but I'm sure someone else can. The rain fade on D*, it happens though not nearly as much as it use to. I have been with D* for eight years and when they went with the 3 LNB oval dish the only time I have had with loosing picture during a rain storm, is when there is a heavy thunderstorm like Thursday night. This does not happen often. To me the benefits of, price and better PQ makes up for the occasional thunderstorm.

Thanks for the information I was speaking specifically about HD TV not so much the satellite. I have an OTA and see a definite degradation in my signal strength when it rains. I really wanted to know if HD is susceptible to rain fade?
jimc705's Avatar jimc705 08:09 PM 01-15-2005
Quote:
Originally posted by crockem
Thanks for the information I was speaking specifically about HD TV not so much the satellite. I have an OTA and see a definite degradation in my signal strength when it rains. I really wanted to know if HD is susceptible to rain fade?

You don't mention how far away from the transmitter you are. A 6 foot antenna is right small if it's a combo VHF/UHF. Two things will help greatly. The best to get 50 % increase in antenna efficency is move the antenna outside. If that's not an option then you'll need a larger antenna. If you already have a 25db amp I assume you are talking distribution amp since you asking about pre amp. A pre amp will do much better then a distribution amp for it boost the signal at the antenna then sends it down the line. It also has much less noise. A pre amp comes in 2 pieces the amp at the antenna. The power supply at the TV. Pre amp could help if your not to close to the transmitters. However it can make it much worse especially in attic. I'd go with a better antenna or move it outside. If you have a combo cosider getting a UHF only for they do much better for digital reception.
Ben:Gb's Avatar Ben:Gb 04:16 PM 01-18-2005
I spoke with Robert @ Fox 21/27 today looking for an update on their progress to broadcasting in HD. He said that they have the encoder up and running and were looking at some HD broadcast material in-house this morning!! I asked about the NFC championship game on Sunday, he said no promises, but they hope to be broadcasting in HDTV for the game! They've got to get all the broadcast equipment through first time startup among other things.

I sent him the link to this thread and told him about AVS forum, the people to participate in this thread, and that other stations post and interact with customers here. He said he was interested in doing the same, so hopefully we can expect some posts from him in the future. He had some thoughts on what they might be doing with antenna's / towers & stuff in the future.
hogfanatico's Avatar hogfanatico 04:45 PM 01-18-2005
Thanks Ben! Let's keep our fingers crossed!
TheDPR's Avatar TheDPR 07:06 PM 01-18-2005
I emailed Fox21/27 today before coming onto this forum and got a similar response. They're shooting for *this* weekend but not making any promises.

By the way, do the VHF elements on a combo antenna help or hurt the UHF reception in any way?
chopkins's Avatar chopkins 10:53 AM 01-19-2005
I noticed at lunch today that Fox 21/27 has an upconverted HD signal now on their Fox channel. I hope they get everything squared away by the NFL championship game Sunday.
Trip in VA's Avatar Trip in VA 11:12 AM 01-19-2005
I've got the upconverted Fox signal on 21-1 and no subchannel for WB...

EDIT: That was my Zenith HDV420. It reports no signal for 17.

Meanwhile, my Hauppauge WinTV-D has a lock on both signals but no streams at all.

EDIT2: Now the Zenith has acceptable signal on both but no data streams for them also. They must have taken it down between the time I turned off the Zenith and the time I got the WinTV-D running. They must be playing with it now.

EDIT3: Dead air entirely on 21-1. Meanwhile, 17-3 and 17-4 have appeared though they are both dead also. (17-3 is what should remap to 27-1 if the PSIP generator is correct)

EDIT4: 17-3, Fox 720p. 17-4, WB 480i. 21-1, Fox 720p. No subchannel on 21.

EDIT5: 17-3 and 17-4 are dead again, but 21-1 is still up. Still no 21-2.

EDIT6: 20-3 is remapping to 1-1 with Fox-HD, 20-4 to 1-2 with WB-SD. Still nothing from 17-3 and 17-4.

EDIT7: On my WinTV-D, I have 17-3 and 17-4 with Fox-HD and WB-SD, but I still have just Fox-HD on 20-3. No 20-4.

EDIT8: Back on the Zenith, see EDIT4, it's just like that again.

EDIT9: See EDIT5. I get the feeling that they're having trouble getting the HD to appear on 21-1 and 27-1 while getting the SD on 21-2 and 27-2.

EDIT10: OK, if there are any changes aside from 17-3/17-4 going from live to dead to live to dead and 21-1 trying to figure out what's up, I'll make a new post.

- Trip
hogfanatico's Avatar hogfanatico 11:32 AM 01-19-2005
Oh the excitement! I've seen Fox HD through the New York Market and it is the best HD for sports. No pixelation like CBS (sorry Bob)
TheDPR's Avatar TheDPR 11:36 AM 01-19-2005
Think I'll be able to get it in Wytheville? I'm getting channel 7, 10, and 36?(whatever # PAX is) right now. How's Fox's power and antenna height compare to those other stations?
Trip in VA's Avatar Trip in VA 11:46 AM 01-19-2005
Quote:

Originally posted by TheDPR
Think I'll be able to get it in Wytheville? I'm getting channel 7, 10, and 36?(whatever # PAX is) right now. How's Fox's power and antenna height compare to those other stations?

It's on Poor Mountain, but only at 2.97 kW. Might not be enough power to reach you, but give it a shot. It's channel 17.

- Trip
wdbjbob's Avatar wdbjbob 12:04 PM 01-19-2005
Quote:

Originally posted by TheDPR

wdbjbob's Avatar wdbjbob 12:06 PM 01-19-2005
Quote:

Originally posted by hogfanatico
Oh the excitement! I've seen Fox HD through the New York Market and it is the best HD for sports. No pixelation like CBS (sorry Bob)

No offense taken. In fact, I was grumbling about the dirty picture while trying to watch the Steelers game the other night. Or was that just all the snow?
Trip in VA's Avatar Trip in VA 12:47 PM 01-19-2005
Okay, they seem to have it working with:

1-1 and 17-3 as Fox-HD
1-2 and 17-4 as WB-SD

I haven't seen them make any changes in the last few minutes. Maybe they're trying to figure out why it works with 1-1 and 1-2 but not with 21-1 and 21-2.

- Trip
hogfanatico's Avatar hogfanatico 02:23 PM 01-19-2005
720 Bob, 720!!!
hogfanatico's Avatar hogfanatico 04:23 PM 01-19-2005
On my Hughes HR10-250, I currently have 21-1 with the channel label WJPR with full programming information AND another 21-1 with the channel label Fox HD and no programming information. However, I can tune to 21-1 Fox HD and view programming (so far, I've only seen standard definition programming and it is in a 4:3 box inside of my widescreen with black vertical bars on the right and left side of the picture) That is a good sign as all other HD channels broadcast their SD programming the same way.

I receive 21-2 with channel label WBVA and no programming info. I can also tune into this station and view programming.

I receive 27-1 with the channel label WFXR and full programming information. However, when I tune to 27-1, I can not view any programming.

The test for HD will be tonight when American Idol airs as it will be broadcast in HD.
Trip in VA's Avatar Trip in VA 04:52 PM 01-19-2005
Quote:

Originally posted by hogfanatico
On my Hughes HR10-250, I currently have 21-1 with the channel label WJPR with full programming information AND another 21-1 with the channel label Fox HD and no programming information. However, I can tune to 21-1 Fox HD and view programming (so far, I've only seen standard definition programming and it is in a 4:3 box inside of my widescreen with black vertical bars on the right and left side of the picture) That is a good sign as all other HD channels broadcast their SD programming the same way.

I receive 21-2 with channel label WBVA and no programming info. I can also tune into this station and view programming.

I receive 27-1 with the channel label WFXR and full programming information. However, when I tune to 27-1, I can not view any programming.

The test for HD will be tonight when American Idol airs as it will be broadcast in HD.

Yes, I intend to watch Fox tonight and see. It looks pretty good.

On my Zenith HDV420 I have Fox-HD on 21-1 and WB-SD on 21-2 (I'll have to check to see if it still does that idiotic resetting-my-tuner thing later). I also get Fox-HD on 17-3 and WB-SD on 17-4. I cannot check for programming labels on the Zenith or for program info.

On the Hauppauge WinTV-D, I've got 17 and 20 both with two programming streams, but 20-1 used to show as "WJPR-WB" (which was wrong) and now shows nothing at all. None of the other program streams ever had that info, though it now receives that info for 7, 10, and 38 (and possibly more, but I haven't bothered to look).

On the plus side, the Hauppauge tells me their PSIP is up to date with the correct PIDs, with both streams as 17.3/20.3 and 17.4/20.4.

I'll be watching Fox Wednesday. I hope they can pass some HD!

- Trip
DaJoker's Avatar DaJoker 06:01 PM 01-19-2005
My eyes.. clear.. crisp.. HD.. and 5.1 surround.. holy crap

The bug in the bottom right is a bit off, but hey, I'll live with that
hogfanatico's Avatar hogfanatico 06:01 PM 01-19-2005
It's HI DEF BABY!!!! American Idol right now with Dolby Digital 5.1
Trip in VA's Avatar Trip in VA 06:01 PM 01-19-2005
FOX WIDESCREEN
HIGH DEFINITION DIGITAL TV

:-D

- Trip
Trip in VA's Avatar Trip in VA 06:04 PM 01-19-2005
One little note though, am I the only one who sees a fully-colored top left corner of a FOX logo in the bottom-right of the screen?

- Trip
First ... 20  21  22 23  24  ... Last

Up
Mobile  Desktop