Roanoke, VA / Bluefield, WV - HDTV - Page 4 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 6152 Old 02-27-2004, 03:39 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
In Blacksburg we're getting a very choppy signal on 17-1. It goes from 0 to 70 and back. Unwatchable for now. But definitely a step in the right direction. Hopefully just need to tweak the equip. a bit.

In scanning the other topics in this group it seems we are quite lucky to have the kind of digital OTA service we do for such a relatively small market. NBC, CBS, ABC, and PBS in HD, and several other digital channels. Life is good.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 6152 Old 02-27-2004, 04:14 PM

My Integra 912 picks up channel 17 fine but remaps it to 21.1 and 21.3. If I tune to channel 20 it will remap channel 20 to 21.1 and 21.3. My Samsung 165 senses a signal on channel 17 but can not lock it at all. There must be something funny about their signal.
post #93 of 6152 Old 02-29-2004, 06:10 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked: 66
Send a message via AIM to Trip in VA Send a message via Yahoo to Trip in VA
I'm working on a draft letter to Grant Media, but I've got some homework hanging over my head and I want to get it done first. Here's what I've got.

Quote:

To Whom This May Concern:

I am Mark {last name} and I am a regular viewer of Fox 21/27 in Roanoke. I live 79 miles away from the transmitters and still get a perfectly clear analog signal. I will say now that Fox is my favorite network with shows like 24, Malcolm in the Middle, Arrested Development, and the Simpsons. I also like That 70's Show and the Simpsons episodes that are syndicated.

While I am very happy with the programming at the station, there are some issues I'd like to address here. For starters, I am an early adopter. Therefore, I already have a digital tuner. Now even at 79 miles away, I am somehow still able to pull in WFXR-DT with it's under-3,000 watts of ERP. I don't know how, but I'm doing it. This is not where my problem lies. I have seen high-definition, as WDBJ(CBS), WSLS(NBC), WSET(ABC), and WBRA(PBS) are all doing it. I have spoken to an engineer friend in Greensboro who told me that every Fox station will be given an HD receiver with 'splicing' technology. This means that only a microwave link from the studio to the transmitter that can handle 720p and an encoder will be required.

I am writing this letter to ask you to please give us Fox in High-definition. Fox is the #1 network, yet has been slowest at getting any HD at all. It would be a shame if HD became available and you didn't provide it, especially after I was told that no waivers for Fox-HD on DirecTV would be granted. And from what I'm hearing, there's going to be a point where Fox is going to say to do HD or else, so why not get it done now so you don't have to be concerned about it in the future? Being that it's 720p, WBVA can still remain in a subchannel without harming the HD, so why not?

If you're now asking what to do about WBVA and HD, I have a plan for that too. When the conversion to digital is closer to being done, and both the WJPR and WFXR signals are at full-power, two different streams could be created. One, from WFXR-DT, could show Fox-HD and WB-SD, while the WJPR-DT feed could have WB-HD and Fox-SD. Many places receive both signals, but those who can only get one or the other usually receive WFXR much better, so more of those people would have the more popular Fox-HD, but none of these people would be without the service of the other signal, since it would be in SD.

I hope you will consider my request to put Fox in HD on the two signals when the HD becomes available this fall. If you'd like to see the number of people who watch HD, there's a whole community at www.avsforum.com, in the local HDTV section there's a topic about Roanoke/Lynchburg HDTV (it might be a few pages in) that at least 8 people regularly post in, plus there are many more who only post long enough to get solid signals and then stop posting.

Thank you for your time.

Sincerely,

Mark {last name}

What do you think?

And has anyone noticed that WPXR-DT is/was mapping to 36-1? I haven't checked to see if it's been fixed, but if it hasn't been in the next few days, I'll give them a call. While I'm at it, I'll ask about how hard it would be to add an SD subchannel to maybe put WDRL on, since Mel told me how hard it would be. They're on the same tower and in the same building as WPXR--how can it be THAT hard? I REALLY want a clear picture on Enterprise.

- Trip

N4MJC

Comments are my own and not that of the FCC (my employer) or anyone else.

RabbitEars

"Ignorance and prejudice and fear walk hand in hand..." - Rush "Witch Hunt"

post #94 of 6152 Old 03-01-2004, 11:24 AM
Advanced Member

Did WDBJ7 ever start showing the Paramount HiDef movies?
post #95 of 6152 Old 03-01-2004, 12:15 PM

I have never seen a Paramount HD movie on Channel 7 yet. I do not know what happened. UPN is showing most of their Friday Night Movies in HD.
post #96 of 6152 Old 03-04-2004, 07:23 AM

Here is an update on FOX 21/27 going HD:

//////////////////////////

Hello again,

We do have plans for HD, but not in the immediate future. It will most
likely be the end of the summer before we can offer HD. Fox as a network is
a little further behind on HD than the big 3 networks. Fox has to upgrade
their satellite uplink equipment in order to send the HD signal. They are
currently working on that situation.

We also need to install a new satellite dish, which is provided by FOX. The
dish is currently setting in crates at our station. Fox also is providing
the installation crew, and the weather has caused a delay in their schedule,
as they are doing installations at all of the FOX stations nationwide.

Thanks for your input
Robert at fox 21/27
post #97 of 6152 Old 03-04-2004, 07:52 AM
AVS Special Member

I can definately live with end of summer. It is the fall season that matters since Fox is not currently doing HD as a network.
post #98 of 6152 Old 03-04-2004, 08:54 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by chopkins
I have never seen a Paramount HD movie on Channel 7 yet. I do not know what happened. UPN is showing most of their Friday Night Movies in HD.

I owe the forum an apology. I intended to get a note out on this, but it fell through the cracks.
We have been snakebitten on recording the feature films when they come to us via satellite. The new HD tape machines turn out to be more finicky than we expected...sort of like a first-generation set top box. I think we have the hang of it now, and with any luck at all they should begin in April. Mea culpa.

Bob Lee
retired TV guy
post #99 of 6152 Old 03-04-2004, 01:45 PM

Great post Riga!!
Best news of the week for me.
Looking forward to football in HD this fall and hopefully NASCAR in HD next year!!
Trip:
Good letter you drafted - looks like we won't have to use it!! Isn't that great?
post #100 of 6152 Old 03-04-2004, 02:01 PM

I am extremely reluctant to post this for fear of
1. Giving Trip cardiac arrest;
2. Putting the big jinx on our videotape technicians.
But....
the Paramount HD features for the next several months (one per month) include Star Trek, StarTrek II, III, IV, V, and VI, Raiders of the Lost Ark, and The Godfather I and II.
We will appreciate your keeping your fingers and toes crossed.

Bob Lee
retired TV guy
post #101 of 6152 Old 03-04-2004, 05:18 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Originally posted by wdbjbob
I owe the forum an apology. I intended to get a note out on this, but it fell through the cracks.
We have been snakebitten on recording the feature films when they come to us via satellite. The new HD tape machines turn out to be more finicky than we expected...sort of like a first-generation set top box. I think we have the hang of it now, and with any luck at all they should begin in April. Mea culpa.

No mea culpa required or desired. You guys have doing backflips making HD happen in market # 67, where the return on investment in the near future is not as certain as the big cities. Just tell us when you're ready.

I've been waiting for HDTV since 92 or 93. I can wait a few more months for this is necessary. I just asked because I was curious.

Are these the director's cuts, the original cuts, or one of about 10 different cuts (ST 1)?

I will say that some would argue that ST 5 in HD is sort of a waste of bandwidth, but I've never seen ST 3, 4, 5, or 6 in widescreen.

It's now between sweeps, the unofficial rerun/second rate content season. Let the HD movies begin!
post #102 of 6152 Old 03-04-2004, 06:37 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Bob, why would that give me cardiac arrest?

Now the Fox 21/27 announcement...

I must have died and this is heaven! Excellent news!

So that's four HD broadcasters, one with plans to start by September, and one to start by 2007 (would be doing it now if the money was available)!

That's all the important networks! We are in one terrific market, that's all I have to say.

I know I'll be calling WFXR and WCVE at least tomorrow, WCVE about W60BM's hum and WFXR because the volume (at least on 27-0) is about half that of other stations during the Simpsons (I haven't watched at any other time). I'm also going to complain about the stupid previews they have during the credits of That 70's Show. Anyone/thing I should call/comment on?

- Trip

N4MJC

RabbitEars

post #103 of 6152 Old 03-05-2004, 10:01 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Originally posted by Trip in VA

...I'm also going to complain about the stupid previews they have during the credits of That 70's Show.

Good luck! They're doing that with a lot of programming these days. Ever try to read the movie credits when they're squeezed and distorted around some promo. (Yeah, I do read some movie credits. None have listed me yet, but I keep looking) )
post #104 of 6152 Old 03-05-2004, 11:07 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Quote:

Originally posted by Trip in VA
Bob, why would that give me cardiac arrest?

Well it gave ME a cardiac arrest! Hey, Bob, post on here when those run since I don't have a schedule for ROA market here in GSO.

All opinions expressed (unless otherwise noted) are the posters and NOT the posters employers. The poster in NO WAY is/will speak for his employers.
post #105 of 6152 Old 03-05-2004, 02:42 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Well, I left a message with WFXR.

I also called WPXR. The engineer there told me the reason the remapping is gone is because of some upgrades they're doing, including one to begin multicasting a second signal, though he had no idea what it was going to be. I guess we'll be finding out soon enough. Hopefully it won't be a waste of bandwidth.

- Trip

N4MJC

RabbitEars

post #106 of 6152 Old 03-06-2004, 01:01 PM

[quote]Originally posted by vstone

Are these the director's cuts, the original cuts, or one of about 10 different cuts (ST 1)?

You know, that's a good question. I'm not sure Paramount tells us which version these features are.

Bob Lee
retired TV guy
post #107 of 6152 Old 03-06-2004, 01:04 PM

Bob Lee
retired TV guy
post #108 of 6152 Old 03-06-2004, 03:40 PM
Advanced Member

Many DVD releases these days are mastered in HD. These are probably director's cuts. At some future date, we may see collector series HD DVD sets with all versions of a particular movie (this would be great for film school), when HD master costs come way down.

I would count on director's cuts. Of course some directors have recut their movies more than once, in which case I'd expect the most recent.
post #109 of 6152 Old 03-07-2004, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by riga
. . . it seems we are quite lucky to have the kind of digital OTA service we do for such a relatively small market. NBC, CBS, ABC, and PBS in HD, and several other digital channels. Life is good. [/b]

Hey, what kind of antenna are you using there from Blacksburg? Would like to get an idea what it'll take for my mother-in-law's place south of Christiansburg. Their indoor rabbit ears get most Roanoke stations in fuzzy NTSC right now.
post #110 of 6152 Old 03-08-2004, 11:41 AM

Greetings. I am back after spending the last couple of months crying. I was unable to obtain a DirecTV signal due to an overabundance of very tall trees in the southernly direction. Looks like I am stuck with the ever so crappy ADELPHIA. A couple of quick questions for the wise men (and women if you are out there) of this forum.

1. Who can I contact at Adelphia to get on the HDTV waiting list and monitor the arrival of HDTV in Lynchburg? (Local customer service leaves much to be desired )

2. In the meantime, I need to get a decent, but not overally expensive OTA box w/ DVI and an antenna (Boonesboro/Peakland area). Any suggests would be very helpful! (don't want to break the bank, b/c I assume Adelphia will eventually provide service).

Thanks in advance for any responses and the excellent community.
post #111 of 6152 Old 03-08-2004, 05:00 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Well, if I were you, I'd get a Samsung SIR-T165 or T151 or something from Best Buy, try it out, and then return it. That's what we did at first; now I have my Zenith HDV-420, which is a much better tuner. I think the DVI version of that tuner is the HDV430, but I don't know when/if that'll be released.

In terms of antennas, I don't know what to suggest. We've had good luck with the Winegard PR-8800 (UHF-only) but you'd NEED VHF for WBRA-DT, which provides the most HD of any station right now, even though it's horribly compressed at the moment.

- Trip

N4MJC

RabbitEars

post #112 of 6152 Old 03-08-2004, 05:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Actually the Zenith HDV-430 has been renamed the LG3100A. I have the 3200A (DirecTV version). I actually had better luck in Roanoke receiving stations with the Samsung tuner vs. my 3200A. I think the new Zenith/LG tuners reject multipath a little too much and make them less sensitive in areas with bad multipath (I have a mountain in my back yard that reflect pretty bad).

If you don't get a lot of multipath (ghosting) on your analog stations you may like the Zenith better than the Samsungs. My Samsung was very quirky if someone sent out bad PSID info in their signal it would lock up.
post #113 of 6152 Old 03-08-2004, 07:27 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Mr.Malcontent

2. In the meantime, I need to get a decent, but not overally expensive OTA box w/ DVI and an antenna (Boonesboro/Peakland area). Any suggests would be very helpful! (don't want to break the bank, b/c I assume Adelphia will eventually provide service).

Mr.Malcontent I live in the Boonsboro area also, I have an attic setup with a Winegard PR-9032 UHF only. With that I was able to get everything except WSLS out of Roanoke, so I added on the Winegard 28 dB pre-amp and everything comes in real strong. Very rare is it that I get any sort of blocking.

Ben:Gb
post #114 of 6152 Old 03-11-2004, 05:27 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Wow, Bob Lee made DCRTV.Com, but it's not exactly flattering.

Bob, what happened, if I may ask?

- Trip

N4MJC

RabbitEars

post #115 of 6152 Old 03-12-2004, 05:45 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by wildwillie6
Hey, what kind of antenna are you using there from Blacksburg? Would like to get an idea what it'll take for my mother-in-law's place south of Christiansburg. Their indoor rabbit ears get most Roanoke stations in fuzzy NTSC right now.

wildwille6, I have a CM 4228 antenna on a 25' mast and a CM amp bought at Lowes. Christiansburg area should be OK for CBS, NBC, PBS, and probably FOX, but ABC might be tough because Poor Mtn. is in the way.
post #116 of 6152 Old 03-12-2004, 10:31 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by riga
wildwille6, I have a CM 4228 antenna on a 25' mast and a CM amp bought at Lowes. Christiansburg area should be OK for CBS, NBC, PBS, and probably FOX, but ABC might be tough because Poor Mtn. is in the way.

I'm on the reverse angle with Poor/Thaxton Mt. and Trip's software showed Thaxton Mt. eclipsing Poor Mt. from my location. Even with that I was able to pull in CBS with no problem and NBC with a pre-amp (which I associate with NBC's low broadcast power not Thaxton Mt.
post #117 of 6152 Old 03-13-2004, 04:34 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

WJPR-DT can't make up its mind. Every few minutes it flips from mapping to 21-3 to 20-3, then a minute later flips back. In the process it kicks my tuner back to 20-1 or 21-1, depending on where it's mapping to. I was trying to watch The X-Files and it kept doing that. Of course, it never did it during the commercials; only when something important was happening in the show. It did that the last time I watched, too.

I would have switched to 17-3 but it was pixelating and dropping out due to extremely weak signal (WJPR dropped out several times also). In fact, almost all our channels--analog and digital--were unusually weak this afternoon. (Examples: WPXR-TV had snow, W54BT and W60BM are almost unwatchable, WRKV-CA is completely gone, WDBJ-TV has snow, WJPR-DT had only about 55% signal compared to the normal 70%, WFXR-DT had about 30% instead of the usual 40%)

Anyone know anything or experienced the problem with WJPR-DT?

- Trip

N4MJC

RabbitEars

post #118 of 6152 Old 03-13-2004, 07:59 PM

I have not noticed any problems today. All channels seem to be working properly.
post #119 of 6152 Old 03-14-2004, 02:48 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Ben:Gb
I'm on the reverse angle with Poor/Thaxton Mt. and Trip's software showed Thaxton Mt. eclipsing Poor Mt. from my location. Even with that I was able to pull in CBS with no problem and NBC with a pre-amp (which I associate with NBC's low broadcast power not Thaxton Mt.

Ben:Gb, my mapping software shows no shadows from Thaxton Mtn. for a good part of LY, including the Boonsboro/Peakland area. Terrain Navigator Pro. Although you are 50-55 miles away, based on your setup it looks like most folks in that area (who don't live in a hole) should be able to get the digital signals (CBS/NBC) OTA. PBS is another story. You will need a need a comb. VHF/UHF antenna. I have problems from 15 miles away with my UHF-only 4228 - I have to turn it around 180 deg.

Here is a screen shot of an LOS from Trents Ferry and Boonsboro Rd. Peakland (Thaxton Mtn. is several thousand ft. SW of the LOS).
LL
post #120 of 6152 Old 03-14-2004, 05:15 PM

Riga, your software screenshot looks good. I don't know what to say in comparison to Trip's software (though I never saw any output).

Link to previous LOS post

Trip, what do you say?
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page