Forum Jump: 

post #1711 of 6118 Old 05-22-2006, 01:47 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 55
Send a message via AIM to Trip in VA Send a message via Yahoo to Trip in VA
I turned on my computer with my WinTV-D before I went down to eat dinner at 4:10. WDRL-DT was off the air. When I got back at 4:50, a mess of green and pink pixels were all over the screen, and there was still no signal. Someone over there is working on it, and apparently whatever they did, they had it decoding here at least for a little bit.

- Trip

N4MJC

Comments are my own and not that of the FCC (my employer) or anyone else.

RabbitEars

"Ignorance and prejudice and fear walk hand in hand..." - Rush "Witch Hunt"

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1712 of 6118 Old 05-23-2006, 08:09 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I thought I'd chime in about Dish and recent posts. First, to learn a ton of stuff about Dish, the place to go is www.dbstalk.com where there are forums on all kinds of satellite stuff, both DirecTV and Dish network.

I think that there has been a lot of good discussion about DIsh network in this forum. I'll give you my recent experience to add to this:

I'm a long-time Dish subscriber in Lynchburg and prefer DIsh to DirecTV. I use the term prefer because both companies have strengths and weaknesses, and I prefer DIsh network, and agree that their HD package is better. However, the Directv football package is MUCH better! So, it's what you like. visit a firend who has the other (or both if you have none) and compare the two, then go where you feel more comfortable is how I look at it.

I have two 811 (MPEG-2, non DVR) receivers and a Vip-622 (MPEG 2/4 DVR). I really like the Vip-622, it really kicks. I haven't had any problems with it, other than a lack of time to explore all the features. SD quality good, HD quality great.

Regarding reception/dish1000/new channels, etc, here's what I've learned:

For my site, I've had trouble with getting the Dish1000 (existing D500) to see all 3 satellites (110/119/129). I've got a pretty tough site, and ran out of patience with trying to get all 3. I'm pretty good, but it's not what I do for a living, so my skills are limited. I ended up using my Dish1000 to pull in the 129 satellite, leaving 2 dishes. No spousal objections, so I'm in good shape and have pretty much optimum signal. easy to do as well. I'm going to use an old single-LNB dish I bought from ebay and install my D1000 gear at my parents' place in coastal N Carolina. WIll try again with a more southern exposure and hopefully better results.

The HD programming packages now offered include VOOM. Anyone who currently gets HD but not VOOM could call Dish and change their package (for pretty much the same money or exactly the same money) and get the VOOM channels included. They're all in one package now. The only additional HD programming you can get are the premium packages HBO and Cinemax. You'll get all the MPEG-2 HD vchannels available. My 811s now pick up most of the HD channels as there aren't too many MPEG-4s out there at this time. You may need to see satellite 129, I don't know if all of those are mapped to 61.5.

From my research, I understanda that Dish will continue HD MPEG-2 support and NOT convert the exisitng MPEG-2 channels to MPEG-4, alienating the existing base. The deal is that future channels will be MPEG-4. And yes, local progrm info is available if you subscribe to local channels. So, if you're getting OTA HD, you need not wait for HD locals, just get your existing locals and send your OTA HD into the sat box. It works great.

I hope this is helpful to all. I've got 24 HD channels (not counting locals) in my house and can't wait for more!
post #1713 of 6118 Old 05-26-2006, 05:50 AM

Well, we are finally moved. Going from Catawba to Vinton is quite a change. Although I grew up Vinton it had been 20 years since I lived here.
Every single routine that you ever had gets totally changed around with moving.
Thankfully now 95% of the boxes are unpacked and all the useless stuff that one convinces oneself that is indispensable is now put away. Can you say "I hate the smell of cardboard" now?
Back to what this forum is about. Got all the AV equipment hooked back up. One smart thing I did was label all of the wires with it's correct hookup before disassembly and packing, which made reassembly a breeze. I haven't had a chance to get my outdoor antenna down here so I went and got an elcheap`o $10 set-top loop. I plugged it in not knowing what to expect and am pleasantly suprised.

WDBJ DT 70%
WSLS DT 92%
WSET DT 92% was hoping for a good sig.
FOX21 DT 80%
PAX 84%
WBRA was a no show

The only draw back to the loop is occasional freezing when everybody is moving about in the house. The question is do I really need an outdoor antenna now?

Keith
post #1714 of 6118 Old 05-26-2006, 07:27 AM

Could anyone share there experience with getting a cable card from cox? Thanks
post #1715 of 6118 Old 05-26-2006, 04:44 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Alright, I've got a 25.5 for an SNR on WDRL-DT right now! I need a 26.5 to start decoding, and a 27 for a clean signal. Anyone closer getting it?

EDIT: Holy crap there it is. 26.5 SNR and rising. Error rate got down to 0 a little bit ago... a dead carrier!?

EDIT2: Back down to 26, but it's still trying to decode it... if I get anything, I'll let everyone know.

EDIT3: It appears this is atmospheric, not a stronger WDRL-DT... I am also getting WBRA-DT with a 30.5, with plenty of breakups due to impulse noise and stuff, along with signal on many Raleigh stations.

- Trip

N4MJC

RabbitEars

post #1716 of 6118 Old 05-26-2006, 09:22 PM
abx

I have a cablecard from Adelphia, and I like it. I don't have the set up to record from my computer so I don't get to record anything in High-Def, but that is the only drawback. I understand that they are working on the two-way CC that will allow you to do PPV.
post #1717 of 6118 Old 05-26-2006, 09:39 PM

Quote:

I have talked to the chief engineer at WSET, and was told that when analog does go away, they will go back to 13 vhf for their permanent channel assignment.

thanks for the info!
post #1718 of 6118 Old 05-27-2006, 05:21 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

I have WDRL-DT decoding on my Zenith HDV420, on 41-1. I've never seen UPN so clear! It's 480i, but I'm not complaining.

The signal is definitely stronger (as WBRA-DT is not decoding) but it's just barely strong enough for the Zenith to get--the WinTV-D won't decode it yet. Error rate is too high.

Also, they seem to have the PIDs set incorrectly. Video PID 0x0021 and Audio PID 0x002c. Should be 0x0031 for video right?

I guess they're still working on it; I hope it gets stronger.

Well, in the time it took to get that info, I got a pic out of WDRL-DT on my WinTV-D. I've attached it.

- Trip
LL
LL

N4MJC

RabbitEars

post #1719 of 6118 Old 05-27-2006, 05:53 PM

Quote:

I have WDRL-DT decoding on my Zenith HDV420, on 41-1.

I am receiving 41.1 with a signal of 67 out of 100. They must not be at full power because if they are nobody will be able to watch it. The picture looks fine but the audio only comes out of the surround channels.
post #1720 of 6118 Old 05-27-2006, 06:17 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by chopkins View Post

I am receiving 41.1 with a signal of 67 out of 100. They must not be at full power because if they are nobody will be able to watch it. The picture looks fine but the audio only comes out of the surround channels.

Sounds like they have the phase on the audio reversed. A swap of two wires in a pair would fix that.

All opinions expressed (unless otherwise noted) are the posters and NOT the posters employers. The poster in NO WAY is/will speak for his employers.
post #1721 of 6118 Old 05-27-2006, 06:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip in VA View Post

I have WDRL-DT decoding on my Zenith HDV420, on 41-1. I've never seen UPN so clear! It's 480i, but I'm not complaining.

Considering that UPN - WDRL's only potential source of HDTV programming - is going away, don't hold your breath on seeing anything but 480i.
post #1722 of 6118 Old 05-28-2006, 05:34 AM
Advanced Member

WBRA-HD is way down on channel 3, so you might need a larger antenna to pick it up.
post #1723 of 6118 Old 05-30-2006, 05:49 AM
Advanced Member

Adelphia in Martinsville uses channel one on the DVR for messages. Recently they have added a message that said

"DVR Upgrades
Auxiliary Input Support
New Currently Recording Program options
A faster fast forward and rewind speed
New functions for the remote control's LIVE button"

They have updated the message to say "UPGRADE COMPLETE BY June 14, 2006."

I presume they are activating the input jacks on the front.
I hope that "New Currently Recording Program Options" means that if I try to play a recording in progress, I have the option of starting from the beginning of the recording instead of commencing playback with what is currently recording. Perhaps this will also mean that playback will not abruptly end when it commences another recording.

I got into a settings listing one time and noticed there were settings allowing for it to be used for a multiroom system, which SA mentions on their website. Does anyone know if any cable company has ever rolled this feature set out?

BTW, at Scientific Atlanta, they have a setup guide for the 8300HDC, which appears to be identical to the 8300HD, but has a cablecard slot and 1394 outputs. I presume that this slot is for Cable Card 2.0 and means 2.0 supports multiple tuners. The Series 3 Tivo will have 2 cable card slots, one for cablecard 1 and one for cablecard 2 to support the guide and interactive features (PPV, etc). The 8300HDC setup guide also uses the term "DVR-DVD," apparently referring to the DVR, but there's no DVD holder in the picture.
post #1724 of 6118 Old 05-30-2006, 08:26 PM
abx

I have Adelphia here in Pulaski and noticed the same message. I did read on SA website about multi-room DVR, and I hope that maybe that is something that will be added in the future. It won't help me on the TV I have with a Cable Card right now because that is a one-way card, but I do have two other regular set-top boxes along with the DVR so maybe that will work. I am still trying to learn about how all this works.
post #1725 of 6118 Old 06-02-2006, 04:29 PM

Is WDRL-DT still transmitting? I just read that it was up and tried to locate it. I couldn't find. If it is up, It's not making it to Bedford. Must be on low power or they were just testing.
post #1726 of 6118 Old 06-02-2006, 04:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Maybe Mel ran out of food for the hamsters.

post #1727 of 6118 Old 06-02-2006, 07:16 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidPT View Post

Is WDRL-DT still transmitting? I just read that it was up and tried to locate it. I couldn't find. If it is up, It's not making it to Bedford. Must be on low power or they were just testing.

Yes, it's still on the air. Not that I can receive it all the time either. I don't know if the power will be going up again.

- Trip

N4MJC

RabbitEars

post #1728 of 6118 Old 06-05-2006, 04:46 PM
wbo

Has anyone else noticed a drop in WSET's signal strength over the past week or so?

I can usually receive WSET at 75-80%, but now it is down to 36-40% and are almost unwatchable due to dropouts. All of the other stations appear to be normal, including WJPR.
post #1729 of 6118 Old 06-06-2006, 03:31 PM

I am sitting here in Indianapolis after my "school" today. I'm going thru old bookmarks on my iBook I travel with. I found this link that sort of got lost. It's this guy in Kentucky who seems to enjoy "DX" radio and TV ( analog and digital ).

Some of you might enjoy it.

Alan
http://www.dxfm.com/
post #1730 of 6118 Old 06-06-2006, 03:48 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

I've been visiting there in the last few days because I'm too lazy to check my TV for e-skip myself! Haha!

- Trip

N4MJC

RabbitEars

post #1731 of 6118 Old 06-08-2006, 02:58 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

I don't know what WDRL-DT is doing now, but it's causing my Zenith to FREAK. I just went to tune to it, and it deleted itself from my list. When I go to add it back and it tries to remap, it says "That channel is not available" and kicks me out of the menu, where it tunes to 41-1 and tells me "That channel is not available." Then it just sits on 41-1.

So I'm guessing the PSIP's completely screwed up.

- Trip

N4MJC

RabbitEars

post #1732 of 6118 Old 06-10-2006, 09:15 AM

Not sure if anyone has noticed, but WSET is not providing HD for the one live World Cup game they're showing this weekend (Sweden vs. Trinidad & Tobago). I've e-mailed them about this, but considering I've never received anything in the way of positive feedback from that station, I'm not expecting this to be resolved.

It's too bad WDBJ doesn't have rights to this, because there's no question we'd get the HD feed.
post #1733 of 6118 Old 06-10-2006, 09:48 AM
Advanced Member

This mornings Roanoke Times said Channel 7 would be putting a 10 PM newscast on their HD channel 7 Too.

hey Times: what a way to check your facts!
post #1734 of 6118 Old 06-10-2006, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilbur1972 View Post

Not sure if anyone has noticed, but WSET is not providing HD for the one live World Cup game they're showing this weekend (Sweden vs. Trinidad & Tobago). I've e-mailed them about this, but considering I've never received anything in the way of positive feedback from that station, I'm not expecting this to be resolved.

It's too bad WDBJ doesn't have rights to this, because there's no question we'd get the HD feed.

I couldn't agree more. I believe WSET had the first game available to them as well but chose to show children's programming instead. That's typical for WSET, must cost them more to transmit in HD? The Mexico/Iran game is on tomorrow at noon on ABC but Titan's listing for WSET says "To be announced.
post #1735 of 6118 Old 06-10-2006, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by curly67 View Post

I couldn't agree more. I believe WSET had the first game available to them as well but chose to show children's programming instead. That's typical for WSET, must cost them more to transmit in HD? The Mexico/Iran game is on tomorrow at noon on ABC but Titan's listing for WSET says "To be announced.

Looks like my e-mail to WSET may have paid off. Doug Daniel, WSET's director of engineering, sent a response claiming that WSET not broadcasting the HD feed was an oversight on their part and that they switched to the HD feed a little after 1 p.m. (I didn't see the note until after the game was over, however).

According to WSET's Web site, they aren't showing the Mexico game until Midnight tape delayed. I've sent another e-mail to Doug asking if WSET is indeed delaying the game, and what the HD situation will be for tomorrow.
post #1736 of 6118 Old 06-10-2006, 02:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by wilbur1972 View Post

According to WSET's Web site, they aren't showing the Mexico game until Midnight tape delayed. I've sent another e-mail to Doug asking if WSET is indeed delaying the game, and what the HD situation will be for tomorrow.

If you're referring to the tape delayed game at midnight, it won't be in HD...

Robert F Corbin
VARTV.com | Virginia Media News & Information

email: editor@VARTV.com
facebook: facebook.com/VARTV

twitter: twitter.com/VARTV

linkedin: linkedin.com/in/VARTV

google+: plus.google.com

pinterest: pinterest.com/VARTV

post #1737 of 6118 Old 06-10-2006, 09:46 PM

are all abc affiliates tape delaying the early games? Im watching it right now and it says "live" up in the corner of the screen so im assuming they had the live feed available to them. I think its pretty stupid to tape delay it from 9 am to 12:35am the next day when I cant help but see what the score was from other broadcasts throughout the day.
post #1738 of 6118 Old 06-11-2006, 07:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VARTV View Post

If you're referring to the tape delayed game at midnight, it won't be in HD...

My question was whether they would be delaying the game, because obviously if it was delayed we wouldn't be getting the HD. My DirecTV guide and some other sources stated the game would be televised here live, but Doug confirmed the WSET Web site that the game won't be shown until midnight, so again the Roanoke Valley is cheated.

At this rate, I'd prefer ESPN and ESPN2 handle the remainder of the tournament.
post #1739 of 6118 Old 06-11-2006, 08:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brooksto View Post

are all abc affiliates tape delaying the early games? Im watching it right now and it says "live" up in the corner of the screen so im assuming they had the live feed available to them. I think its pretty stupid to tape delay it from 9 am to 12:35am the next day when I cant help but see what the score was from other broadcasts throughout the day.

Looks like we're some of the few people in the country who are being ripped off from seeing the ABC games live. There's a thread on the HDTV programming board on this site, and it looks like viewers in many of the other markets are getting the HD matches live (although those in New Orleans say their local affiliate didn't flip the switch to HD yesterday).
post #1740 of 6118 Old 06-11-2006, 10:07 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Looks like we know more about CW in Roanoke.

I saw a Jerry Springer promo on 27-2 a few minutes ago, and at the end it mentioned "The CW5" and the ID read like this:

WWCW-DT Lynchburg WFXR-DT Roanoke

Based on that, I'd guess that WJPR may be changing call letters.

- Trip

N4MJC

RabbitEars

Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page