Washington, DC - Verizon - Page 7 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
Reply
Thread Tools
post #181 of 229 Old 03-30-2008, 09:23 PM
Newbie
 
Sergeia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 1
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi All:

Could you, please, give me an advice - which one is better as far as HD signal/programs - Direct TV HD in comparison to Verizon FIOS.
It seems like there are much more HD channels with Direct TV. They have a new HD satellite. But customer service is a nightmare!

FIOS provides a perfect and more stable HD signal (or at least supposed to - no weather/canopy disturbance ...), however, MORE pricy! and less HD channels.

I am with COX right now but would like to switch and interested more in better/more HD.

Thanks!
Sergeia is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #182 of 229 Old 04-23-2008, 09:12 AM
AVS Special Member
 
afiggatt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Sterling, VA
Posts: 4,300
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Looks like no one ever replied to Sergeia's post. Hope he/she got an answer elsewhere. This is not exactly an active thread.

But since this is specific to our market, Verizon updated the firmware in the 6416 DVR in the MD and VA markets last night to the new build 05.76 from the previous 05.68 build. Reportedly speeds up the VOD menu interactions and may fix a few other minor bugs. if you have the DVR set to record tonight, you may want to turn it on to make it reboots properly and is set to record.
afiggatt is offline  
post #183 of 229 Old 04-23-2008, 09:58 AM
Newbie
 
ifmpeb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 1
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Do not know between direct TV and Fios. I have FIOS nightmare dealing with them. Had cox prior and customer service very good. Cox HD always went out. Fios far superior to Cox however Fios DVR step back.
ifmpeb is offline  
post #184 of 229 Old 07-29-2008, 07:51 AM
AVS Special Member
 
afiggatt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Sterling, VA
Posts: 4,300
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Figure we might want to restart this thread with 4 HD channels being added and the prospect of the big HD expansion hitting Washington Metro and Baltimore markets sometime starting around mid-September.

As of this morning on Verizon Fios TV in the Sterling CO, USA-HD is now live on channel 884. The guide data still says coming soon with no programming specifics. We are supposed to get CNBC-HD on channel 879, but this morning, they have Sci-Fi HD on 879 instead. Running a Eureka marathon in HD no less! Don't know why, but I would vote to keep Sci-Fi HD over CNBC-HD. There are also now test patterns for the two temporary HD Olympic channels for soccer & basketball on channels 896 & 897. These channels are all being added ahead of the big HD expansion to all Fios TV markets across the US for the Olympic coverage.

The roll-out of these channels has been extremely patch quilt across the Washington Metro and Maryland markets. I've seen reports of them being added last week in Herndon and several places in MD. So they may not be live at other locations, but if not, they should be soon.
afiggatt is offline  
post #185 of 229 Old 07-31-2008, 05:59 AM
Newbie
 
wayne2861's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Ft. Washington, Md.
Posts: 9
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Do you really need HD to show tickers? All want is Speed and The Science Channel.
wayne2861 is offline  
post #186 of 229 Old 07-31-2008, 06:30 AM
AVS Club Gold
 
aaronwt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Northern VA(Woodbridge)
Posts: 22,493
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1230 Post(s)
Liked: 897
Quote:
Originally Posted by wayne2861 View Post

Do you really need HD to show tickers? All want is Speed and The Science Channel.

Yes.

53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3--32TB unRAID1a
LED DLP
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline  
post #187 of 229 Old 07-31-2008, 06:32 AM
AVS Club Gold
 
aaronwt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Northern VA(Woodbridge)
Posts: 22,493
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1230 Post(s)
Liked: 897
Quote:
Originally Posted by afiggatt View Post

Figure we might want to restart this thread with 4 HD channels being added and the prospect of the big HD expansion hitting Washington Metro and Baltimore markets sometime starting around mid-September.

As of this morning on Verizon Fios TV in the Sterling CO, USA-HD is now live on channel 884. The guide data still says coming soon with no programming specifics. We are supposed to get CNBC-HD on channel 879, but this morning, they have Sci-Fi HD on 879 instead. Running a Eureka marathon in HD no less! Don't know why, but I would vote to keep Sci-Fi HD over CNBC-HD. There are also now test patterns for the two temporary HD Olympic channels for soccer & basketball on channels 896 & 897. These channels are all being added ahead of the big HD expansion to all Fios TV markets across the US for the Olympic coverage.

The roll-out of these channels has been extremely patch quilt across the Washington Metro and Maryland markets. I've seen reports of them being added last week in Herndon and several places in MD. So they may not be live at other locations, but if not, they should be soon.


Last night I looked and SciFi HD was gone and CNBC HD was there and the olympic channels still had test patterns.

53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3--32TB unRAID1a
LED DLP
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline  
post #188 of 229 Old 08-27-2008, 07:35 AM
AVS Special Member
 
afiggatt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Sterling, VA
Posts: 4,300
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
The latest version of the IMG software, release 1.6.0, build 06.86 was pushed out to Washington Metro, Maryland, and reportedly the Richmond & Hampton Roads markets this morning. There is a message that shows up when you turn the box on for the first time. IMG 1.6 has some new features such as multiple favorite lists, supposed to provide HD multi-room DVR capability but I don't know if that works. The VOD menus were much faster, but we shall see if that was an anomaly.
afiggatt is offline  
post #189 of 229 Old 09-13-2008, 06:44 PM
Senior Member
 
ahsan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Ashburn, VA
Posts: 406
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by afiggatt View Post

The latest version of the IMG software, release 1.6.0, build 06.86 was pushed out to Washington Metro, Maryland, and reportedly the Richmond & Hampton Roads markets this morning. There is a message that shows up when you turn the box on for the first time. IMG 1.6 has some new features such as multiple favorite lists, supposed to provide HD multi-room DVR capability but I don't know if that works. The VOD menus were much faster, but we shall see if that was an anomaly.

I am still at release 1.5.0 Build 05.93 in Sterling, VA. My parents in Herndon who run off the same CO have some extra features (games, etc.) that I do not have, though I haven't checked what version they are on. How does that all work? Do I just sit and wait for an update to be pushed to my DVRs?

- Ahsan
ahsan is offline  
post #190 of 229 Old 09-15-2008, 09:42 AM
Senior Member
 
ahsan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Ashburn, VA
Posts: 406
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Apologies if this has already been asked. Verizon recently added ESPNU HD to our local system, however the the FIOS DC channel lineup effective 9/22 does not list ESPNU HD. Is there a chance we may actually lose this channel, or is it simple oversight on VZ's part?

- Ahsan
ahsan is offline  
post #191 of 229 Old 09-15-2008, 11:45 AM
AVS Club Gold
 
aaronwt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Northern VA(Woodbridge)
Posts: 22,493
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1230 Post(s)
Liked: 897
Oversight

53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3--32TB unRAID1a
LED DLP
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline  
post #192 of 229 Old 09-21-2008, 09:19 PM
AVS Special Member
 
afiggatt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Sterling, VA
Posts: 4,300
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Bump. In a few hours, the Washington Metro market should get the long awaited re-alignment and first round HD expansion. Looking forward to getting Sci-Fi HD (after the short sample prior to the Olympics), CNN-HD, Weather Channel HD for the hurricane, and others. But the PDF channel line-up is missing some HD channels I want to get. Wonder if we will get all the channels in the PDF list tomorrow?
afiggatt is offline  
post #193 of 229 Old 09-21-2008, 10:29 PM
AVS Club Gold
 
aaronwt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Northern VA(Woodbridge)
Posts: 22,493
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1230 Post(s)
Liked: 897
I guess we will find out shortly.
I just hope it doesn't take to long for the TiVo guide data to show the updated channel list.

53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3--32TB unRAID1a
LED DLP
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline  
post #194 of 229 Old 09-22-2008, 03:43 AM
AVS Club Gold
 
aaronwt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Northern VA(Woodbridge)
Posts: 22,493
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1230 Post(s)
Liked: 897
The new channels from the realignment are here in Woodbridge this morning

53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3--32TB unRAID1a
LED DLP
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline  
post #195 of 229 Old 09-22-2008, 06:43 AM
AVS Special Member
 
afiggatt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Sterling, VA
Posts: 4,300
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
The re-alignment is finally here. I count 16 active new HD channels. I get the not subscribed message for Versus/Golf HD and Outdoor Channel 2 HD, but I am not subscribed to the Sports package. As of 7:30 AM, the new Starz, Showtime, TMC HD channels are not there: missing are Starz Edge HD, Starz Kids & Family HD, Starz Comedy HD, Showtime West HD, Showtime 2 HD, TMC West HD. In surfing through the HD channels, did not see any pixelation problems.

It will take several days to learn the new line-up and where channels now are. The guide entries for all the moved channels will get tiresome very quickly. Wish there was an option to turn that off, but can't have everything.
afiggatt is offline  
post #196 of 229 Old 09-22-2008, 06:58 AM
Member
 
prth8machine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Rockville, MD
Posts: 67
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I show all the same things afiggatt does as well. I'm curious how the Versus/Golf HD will work out though. I don't subscribe to the sports package either, but Versus isn't in that package. So I'm wondering if we will get the HD channel when Versus programming is airing. I hope so, I liked getting some NHL games on Versus HD last year when I had Comcast in Michigan last year.
prth8machine is offline  
post #197 of 229 Old 09-22-2008, 07:56 AM
AVS Special Member
 
afiggatt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Sterling, VA
Posts: 4,300
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by prth8machine View Post

I'm curious how the Versus/Golf HD will work out though. I don't subscribe to the sports package either, but Versus isn't in that package. So I'm wondering if we will get the HD channel when Versus programming is airing.

Versus/Golf HD will be splitting into 2 separate full time HD channels in early December. So the basic Sports versus extra cost Sports package conflict will be resolved when that happens. Until then, I'm not sure how Verizon is handling Versus and Golf programming on the combined HD channel. There was a thread on it at dslreports.com, but I did not follow it closely. The easiest thing for Verizon to do is to make the HD channel only available to Sports Package subscribers so they don't have to constantly change the channel availability settings between now and December.
afiggatt is offline  
post #198 of 229 Old 09-22-2008, 08:21 AM
AVS Club Gold
 
aaronwt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Northern VA(Woodbridge)
Posts: 22,493
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1230 Post(s)
Liked: 897
Quote:
Originally Posted by afiggatt View Post

The re-alignment is finally here. I count 16 active new HD channels. I get the not subscribed message for Versus/Golf HD and Outdoor Channel 2 HD, but I am not subscribed to the Sports package. As of 7:30 AM, the new Starz, Showtime, TMC HD channels are not there: missing are Starz Edge HD, Starz Kids & Family HD, Starz Comedy HD, Showtime West HD, Showtime 2 HD, TMC West HD. In surfing through the HD channels, did not see any pixelation problems.

It will take several days to learn the new line-up and where channels now are. The guide entries for all the moved channels will get tiresome very quickly. Wish there was an option to turn that off, but can't have everything.

Are those the only HD channels affected by not having Sports Package?
They aren't doing what comcast does and stick the NFL network Hd on the Sports package are they?

53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3--32TB unRAID1a
LED DLP
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline  
post #199 of 229 Old 09-22-2008, 09:13 AM
Member
 
prth8machine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Rockville, MD
Posts: 67
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post

Are those the only HD channels affected by not having Sports Package?
They aren't doing what comcast does and stick the NFL network Hd on the Sports package are they?

From what I can tell, Golf/Versus is the only one it effects. It doesn't appear that Verizon is moving NFL network, but anything is possible I guess.
prth8machine is offline  
post #200 of 229 Old 09-23-2008, 02:22 PM
Member
 
bucnasty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Fairfax VA
Posts: 147
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
does anyone know how long the dead channels will remain in the guide?

bucnasty is offline  
post #201 of 229 Old 09-23-2008, 04:14 PM
AVS Club Gold
 
dneily's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Prince Georges County, MD
Posts: 1,593
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by prth8machine View Post

From what I can tell, Golf/Versus is the only one it effects. It doesn't appear that Verizon is moving NFL network, but anything is possible I guess.

As someone pointed out earlier, it also affects the Outdoor HD Channel. I'm surprised that the Big Ten HD Network is UN-affected (i.e., is included in basic and not in the Sports Package).
dneily is offline  
post #202 of 229 Old 09-23-2008, 04:49 PM
Member
 
prth8machine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Rockville, MD
Posts: 67
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by dneily View Post

As someone pointed out earlier, it also affects the Outdoor HD Channel. I'm surprised that the Big Ten HD Network is UN-affected (i.e., is included in basic and not in the Sports Package).

I'm surprised there as well. I thought Big Ten would get stuck in that package for sure. I'm just really hoping they work something out so that the NHL games on Vs. show up when they start airing next month. Any chance an email to Verizon would get an answer on the subject?
prth8machine is offline  
post #203 of 229 Old 09-23-2008, 05:43 PM
AVS Special Member
 
afiggatt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Sterling, VA
Posts: 4,300
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by bucnasty View Post

does anyone know how long the dead channels will remain in the guide?

The reports from other markets are around 2 weeks. Yea, after a couple of hours, I think most of us want to kill the moved channels entries, but there is no option to do that.
afiggatt is offline  
post #204 of 229 Old 10-07-2008, 12:01 PM
Member
 
prth8machine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Rockville, MD
Posts: 67
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Looks like the guide has cleaned up now.
prth8machine is offline  
post #205 of 229 Old 10-08-2008, 08:51 PM
AVS Special Member
 
afiggatt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Sterling, VA
Posts: 4,300
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Verizon revamped the Fios TV webpage today to show the new Essentials and HD Extreme packages. The channel line-up page has been revised as well to ask for zip code before it shows anything. But the PDF line-ups are still there at https://www22.verizon.com/Residentia...lLineUpPDF.htm. The Washington Metro, Anne-Arundel/Howard County PDF file line-ups were revised today as well. They now show a bunch of new HD channels as coming soon such as FX-HD, Fox News HD, ESPN News HD and so on. Now we will find out what Verizon means by "coming soon". They have been showing coming soon in the Guide for 2 weeks for the additional Starz, Showtime, TMC HD channels.
afiggatt is offline  
post #206 of 229 Old 10-09-2008, 06:14 AM
AVS Club Gold
 
aaronwt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Northern VA(Woodbridge)
Posts: 22,493
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1230 Post(s)
Liked: 897
So will current subscribers get the new channels or will we have to change our plan to the ExtremeHD plan and pay more?

53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3--32TB unRAID1a
LED DLP
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline  
post #207 of 229 Old 10-09-2008, 11:19 AM
Member
 
prth8machine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Rockville, MD
Posts: 67
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post

So will current subscribers get the new channels or will we have to change our plan to the ExtremeHD plan and pay more?

Ya, I'm a little confused by the way they are showing it as well. When does this ExtremeHD come into play? Is that the December 8th date I've seen bouncing around?
prth8machine is offline  
post #208 of 229 Old 10-09-2008, 12:52 PM
AVS Special Member
 
afiggatt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Sterling, VA
Posts: 4,300
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by prth8machine View Post

Ya, I'm a little confused by the way they are showing it as well. When does this ExtremeHD come into play? Is that the December 8th date I've seen bouncing around?

The December 8th date is for the split of Versus/Golf HD into two separate full-time HD channels. Nothing to do with Verizon price packages. We are all somewhat confused by what exactly will be in the new two packages and when they will be enforced in each market. Apparently, a bunch of new HD channels were taken away from Premiere subscribers in MA & RI today, if I follow the posts at the Fios TV forum at dslreports.com correctly. My guess is that the HD subscribers who are still under a 1 or 2 year Premiere agreement will get most?? of the HD channels. But my guess is that if we want to get & keep the full set of national HD channels (excluding the premium movie channels which require their own package), we will have to sign up for HD Extreme package in the coming weeks. There may not be much of price increase if one signs up for 1 or 2 years with a internet/phone/TV bundle. Verizon has spent a bundle removing the analog channels to add capacity for more HD channels; they have to recover the costs somehow.

I have been with Verizon for 2 year and my bundled last bill went up. I have to read the details, but I suspect it is time to sign up for a 1 or 2 year bundle deal (HD Extreme + Movies + HBO + faster net than 5/2 + landline phone). But I am going to wait a few days for the CSRs to get caught up on the new pricing tiers.
afiggatt is offline  
post #209 of 229 Old 10-09-2008, 10:59 PM
Member
 
prth8machine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Rockville, MD
Posts: 67
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by afiggatt View Post

The December 8th date is for the split of Versus/Golf HD into two separate full-time HD channels. Nothing to do with Verizon price packages. We are all somewhat confused by what exactly will be in the new two packages and when they will be enforced in each market. Apparently, a bunch of new HD channels were taken away from Premiere subscribers in MA & RI today, if I follow the posts at the Fios TV forum at dslreports.com correctly. My guess is that the HD subscribers who are still under a 1 or 2 year Premiere agreement will get most?? of the HD channels. But my guess is that if we want to get & keep the full set of national HD channels (excluding the premium movie channels which require their own package), we will have to sign up for HD Extreme package in the coming weeks. There may not be much of price increase if one signs up for 1 or 2 years with a internet/phone/TV bundle. Verizon has spent a bundle removing the analog channels to add capacity for more HD channels; they have to recover the costs somehow.

I have been with Verizon for 2 year and my bundled last bill went up. I have to read the details, but I suspect it is time to sign up for a 1 or 2 year bundle deal (HD Extreme + Movies + HBO + faster net than 5/2 + landline phone). But I am going to wait a few days for the CSRs to get caught up on the new pricing tiers.

I called them today because I was going to add the sports package so I could see the hockey games on Vs. HD. They told me that they didn't have that anymore, and that getting the ExtremeHD package added all the channels that were formerly in it. I had the phone/net/and TV bundle, they signed me up on the ExtremeHD bundle and it came to another $5, bumped my net to 20/5, and added the couple of channels I didn't already get. The CSR seemed to think I was only getting a few HD channels, but I'm assuming that is speaking to what afiggatt mentioned about those other markets losing channels. So, it's really not too shabby. I'd love to tell you what the final bill would be, but since they haven't gotten my billing figured out for the last 4 months, I really can't. I believe its $125, but thats the best I can work out. Anyways, just wanted to pass that along. So if you want the speed bump in the net, give them a call. $5 seems pretty reasonable.
prth8machine is offline  
post #210 of 229 Old 10-21-2008, 03:22 PM
Member
 
prth8machine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Rockville, MD
Posts: 67
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Is there a rough date for when the other "coming soon" channels (ESPN News HD, ABC Family HD, etc) will be added?
prth8machine is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off