AVS Forum banner

Tyler, TX - HDTV

134K views 1K replies 105 participants last post by  rcbtaw7011 
#1 ·
After purchasing a HD television set about four months ago I finally decided it would be nice to actually view some HD programming. What options other than going with a DBS provider are available? I currently subscribe to Cox digital cable and have to admit that the SD channels whether analog or digital actually look pretty decent on my 55 inch set. Of course I have never seen any HD material so what do I know. I have contacted Cox several times regarding the future availability of HD on cable, but they pretty much seem clueless so I assume it may be some time before it is available. I would like to stay with Cox at least for the internet service since DSL it not available at my address.

Are any of the locals (KLTV, KETK, KFXK) actually transmitting a DTV signal that you can receive and if so do they provide any network HDTV programming? I also read in the paper that the Nacogdoches NBC affiliate was moving to Tyler and would become a CBS affiliate sometime in the next three months. Since they are building a new tower closer to Tyler do you think they will have DTV transmitter up and running at the same time their new analog transmitter becomes operational?

I picked up an HDTV tuner on ebay, but could not receive any DTV signals with an indoor antenna. I could receive all the local analog stations with the indoor antenna. I would not mind installing an outdoor antenna if there is a chance I could receive any OTA DTV signals.

Any thoughts or information would be appreciated.

Thanks.

See less See more
#53 ·
Hank, I need to return the antenna to you. Do you still work at the same place?

#56 ·
I saw that KLTV was sold to another company. I wonder if this will have any effect on their HD timetable?

#57 ·
Hi all. I'm new to this forum and the Tyler area. I live in south Tyler, near UT-Tyler. I have a DirecTV H10 receiver and, obviously, I don't get any locals in HD (although from reading some of the earlier posts, it appears that only CBS is broadcast in HD). I live in an apartment so an outdoor antenna on a pole is more or less out of the question. I was wondering 1) what local channels are currently broadcasting in HD in the Tyler area and 2) if anyone had any suggestions on how to get receive these channels. I appreciate any help yall can give me. Thanks in advance.

#58 ·
Man thank god for this forum!! Im from Henderson!!

Hank so you sell antennas!? Im so lost (im new to HDTV). I thought all abc nbc cbs broadcast over cable in HD (dont laugh), I didnt know I needed an antenna and every hill billy in Henderson is sayin "well I got these bunny ears here, recken at al work?". OMG I know nothing about what type to buy or anything. I have an OTA tuner in my D-ILA 61"

I need the baddest mofo antenna you got bro. I sent you a pm with my contact info. Give me a hollar man. Thanks in andvance.

BTW I am trying to get all this done before the BIG TEXAS OSU game Sept 10th!!!! Will I be able to get Shrevports ABC in HDTV for the GAME!!!!!?????

#63 ·
there is a thread somewhere in the programming forum about how abc is only supposed to be broadcasting 2 or 3 games in HD this year..TOTAL, one being the miami/fsu game. and the t.u./o.u. game is in the afternoon. anyway, i could be wrong. search the programming forum and you should find a better answer.

edit: here is a link that has lots of good HD sports info: http://www.hdsportsguide.com/cfb.php . notice they have very little info on abc. i would think that as big of a game as texas/ou, that if they were gonna show it in HD, they would've let you know by now, although as i said earlier, i could be wrong.

#68 ·
Just received this response from KLTV:

As with most construction, there has been a delay in delivery of our HD

antenna. It should arrive any day and then it will be only a couple of

weeks after that we should be up with HD. We are tentatively looking at

end of Sept. barring any further delays.

Cathy

KLTV

#69 ·
Newbie here - Just picked up one of the Accurian HTS-6000 STB's that Rat Shack had on sale. Have it connected to a 1995 vintage RS VU-190 antenna at about 30'. I am in far NE Gregg County. I can get KTBS(HD,WX,DT), KSLA(DT, Tube), KYTX-DT, and KMSS-DT. A few questions:

1. Has anyone in the Longview area been able to receive digital KTAL, KSHV, or KLTS? I seem to get a signal reading of about 40/100 on both 15 and 44, but my receiver will not lock. I can get absolutely no signal for KLTS on channel 25.

2. KSLA has intermittent breakups and pixelations, even though I am getting the strongest signal from them (82/100). By comparison, KTBS is about 78, KMSS is about 67 and KYTX is about 62, and they are all rock solid. Are there any known reception issues with KSLA's signal?

3. Does KSLA-DT or KYTX-DT pass any Dolby Digital audio? I have seen DD on some KTBS-HD and KMSS-DT programming, but none so far on KSLA or KYTX.

TIA,

GSB

#70 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbranch /forum/post/0

3. Does KSLA-DT or KYTX-DT pass any Dolby Digital audio? I have seen DD on some KTBS-HD and KMSS-DT programming, but none so far on KSLA or KYTX.

GSB

I have yet to see any 5.1 audio on KYTX. CBS is now bragging about adding more programming in 5.1 audio, so hopefully KYTX will get with it.

#71 ·
Ronnie,

Thanks for that update. I wondered why KLTV wouldn't be advertising their HD if it was going live on 9/16 like they told me. I have been checking their web site, and there is no mention of HD there.

#72 ·
KTBS news reported this morning (9/20) that KPXJ-DT UPN-21 Minden/Shreveport will go live at midnight tonight with their digital signal on channel 21 from their new transmitter in Moringsport. Their predicted coverage will be similar to KTBS-DT, so they should be able to be received in the eastern parts of the area. KPXJ will cease analog broadcasting and be one of the few stations in the nation to go exclusively digital.

#73 ·
I wanted to share this info about DTV reception in the Tyler area. I just bought a Channel Master medium range antenna from the Radio Shack in Athens, TX. I installed it 10 feet above my roof line on my home located in Larue about 12 miles east of Athens. The antenna is connected to my Dish 811 HD receiver over 60 ft. of RG-6 cable. My intent was to pick up the CBS 19.1 and NBC 22.1 channels. No problem with the CBS channel, I got about 90% signal strength. Haven't been able to get more than 55% with on the NBC channel. Just messing around, I turned the antenna 180 degrees towards Dallas and WOW! I can get FOX, NBC, ABC, PBS, WB and PAX at 65-70% signal strength. I've noticed the best signal strength is at night. Does anyone think my signal strength would improve with a long range antenna or by increasing my antenna height some?

#74 ·
Your signal strength will improve if you increase the antenna size and height. Adding a preamp will also help. Your best signals will come from Dallas. You should also get 19 (18) and once they up their power, 56 (22). KLTV is scheduled to come on line soon on RF Channel 10. You may have some intererence with the analogue channel 10 from Waco.

#75 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by hankh /forum/post/0

KLTV is scheduled to come on line soon on RF Channel 10.

KLTV-DT will not be able to go live until a TBN translator, KLGV-LP Longview vacates channel 10. As of today, KLGV-LP is still using channel 10 and has no APP or CP filed with the FCC to move to a different channel.

#76 ·
I think KLTV will be able go on the air whenever they are ready. As for KLGV-LP, they must give way, according to the FCC rules governing the DTV transition. Moreover, the FCC has ruled in favour of KLTV in all of KLGV's appeal attempts.