Tyler, TX - HDTV - Page 36 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 1Likes

post #1051 of 1067 Old 04-19-2014, 07:41 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
That antenna should pick up Channel 7 fine, and all of the green regions should be coming in clear also.

Are you having issues now or are you planning?

I put a Channel Master 7777 up on my antenna about a foot from where it exits the main antenna feed.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1052 of 1067 Old 05-28-2014, 10:23 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtrot View Post

Also, I would think that, from Longview, you would need to get an antenna really high to bring in those Tyler stations.

Not at all. 20-30 feet should suffice unless you are on the northeast side of a hill. 7, 51, 54, and 56 are easy. 19 is a little more difficult but should no problem with a decent outdoor antenna and preamp. I get all of the Tyler stations, including 7, with a CM4228 8-bay (old style not newer 4228-HD) pointed at Shreveport at about 25 feet.

"The only reason you are still conscious is that I don't want to carry you." - Jack Bauer
post #1053 of 1067 Old 09-06-2014, 02:53 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Without going through this whole thread, can anyone tell me if DishTV carries the Tyler locals in HD? I get the locals from Dish and only get SD. I checked their website and it shows both SD and HD available. I contacted them and they had me go through a bunch of checks and trouble shooting to no avail (they said I should be getting the locals in HD). They will send out a tech next week to determine the problem but I sort of think Dish does not provide the Tyler market with HD locals. Anyone know for sure?

shortspark
post #1054 of 1067 Old 09-06-2014, 05:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by milacqua View Post
Without going through this whole thread, can anyone tell me if DishTV carries the Tyler locals in HD? I get the locals from Dish and only get SD. I checked their website and it shows both SD and HD available. I contacted them and they had me go through a bunch of checks and trouble shooting to no avail (they said I should be getting the locals in HD). They will send out a tech next week to determine the problem but I sort of think Dish does not provide the Tyler market with HD locals. Anyone know for sure?
KETK-HD (NBC) is on 61.5, channel 5173, mapped to 56
KFXK-HD (FOX) is on 61.5, channel 5174, mapped to 51
KLTV-HD (ABC) is on 61.5, channel 5171, mapped to 7
KTRE-HD (ABC) is on 61.5, channel 5170, mapped to 9
KYTX-HD (CBS) is on 61.5, channel 5172, mapped to 19

The HD versions are NOT on western arc. So, if you do not have eastern arc (or at least 61.5), you will not get these locals in HD LiL.

NOTE: Since I live in Athens, I'm in the Dallas DMA. Even though I'm technically closer to the Tyler area than to Dallas. I use an OTA antenna to pick up the Tyler DMA networks, and the Hopper still updates the guide correctly. So, I actually have Dallas and Tyler networks.

My question to you is, are you getting Dallas DMA networks through DISH? If so, it may be because you are in the Dallas DMA.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by 120inna55; 09-06-2014 at 05:14 PM.
post #1055 of 1067 Old 09-06-2014, 07:43 PM
Advanced Member

Thanks, that is probably the reason - I do not have eastern arc. Of course, I'm not really sure I know what "arc" is but I do not get any Dallas stations, only Tyler locals and they are all in SD. I went to "All Channels" and punched in the 5174, etc. channels you listed and I don't have them in my program guide so I know I must be in eastern arc. I really don't understand all this but I live 30 miles north of Tyler so if I subscribe to Dish locals, why in the world would they put me on an arc that can not get them in HD? That is nuts! I pay for locals and should get them in HD if available. I do get the locals in HD via my OTA antenna but they are not reliable and come in weak certain days, and strong on other days. I guess when the technician comes out next week I'll just tell him to give me that eastern arc, as long as it does not cost me anything. Thanks again for that information.

shortspark
post #1056 of 1067 Old 09-07-2014, 06:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Ok, how many dishes do you have, and how many LNBs do you have on your dish(es)?

This is what an LNB looks like. You may have a double, triple, etc.

Then, tell me which general direction is your dish aimed (East or West).

Alternatively, if you know how to navigate your DISH receiver, you can go to the point dish screen and see which satellites you are pointed at.

This is very simple to figure out for you and a tech should be able to remedy it. However, to ensure they remedy it in the most advantageous way for you, it would pay for you to know a little more about your options. Hence the reason I need this basic information for you.

EDIT: Go here to find your DMA (designated market area): http://media.seventhpoint.com/images...0DMA%20Map.pdf

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by 120inna55; 09-07-2014 at 06:35 AM.
post #1057 of 1067 Old 09-07-2014, 01:40 PM
Advanced Member

According to the map you provided, it looks like my county (Wood) is the first white color county after the blue counties shown as Dallas/Ft. Worth. Therefore, I think I am in a Shreveport DMA. The dish has three transponders and is the HD Dish called dpPlus. The dish is facing west. I am pretty sure the satellites that I am pointing at are 110, 119 and 129.

From the little research I did after reading your post back to me, it looks like the triple transponder unit I have is only for the western arc sats of 110, 119 and 129. Each transponder is separated equally. The triple transponder for the eastern arc (which is what I need to get 61.5, 77 and 72.7. You said 61.5 supplies my Tyler HD locals) is configured differently with two joint transponders and one individual transponder. Here are the photos showing the configurations: http://www.sadoun.com/Sat/Order/LNBF...TWORK-LNBF.htm.

I can tell the tech guy to replace the western arc transponder and give me the eastern arc transponder but I'm wondering if it will screw things up other places. Do you know if changing transponders will change my ability to get any of my other stations? Why is there both an eastern and western arc transponder? I suppose it has to do with a location's ability to lock on a satellite. And why would they give me the western transponder in the first place, thereby denying me the ability to get my locals in HD? This is strange. Does the fact that my county is shown under Shreveport DMA rather than Dallas cause this? If so, the tech guy may be prohibited from changing out the transponder even if he could. And thank you very much for all your help. You have made me understand this a whole lot better.

shortspark
post #1058 of 1067 Old 09-07-2014, 05:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
...I think I am in a Shreveport DMA. The dish has three transponders...The dish is facing west...
Your living in the Shreveport DMA, I'm pretty sure, limits you to the Shreveport HD LiLs.

You should be getting these Shreveport networks in HD:

KMSS-HD (FOX) is on 119, channel 5263, mapped to 33
KSLA-HD (CBS) is on 119, channel 5261, mapped to 12
KTAL-HD (NBC) is on 119, channel 5262, mapped to 6
KTBS-HD (ABC) is on 119, channel 5260, mapped to 3

Are you not getting those channels?

Now, there is a cheat called "moving" in which you tell DISH your physical location is in one location (that you make up) and your billing location is your real address. I don't condone this, but some people do it to get the DMA they want. Of course this won't work when you have a tech come out.

If I understand it correctly, this is not a DISH limitation, but rather a law.

Yes, you have Western arc.

post #1059 of 1067 Old 09-07-2014, 06:06 PM
Advanced Member

I do not get any of the Shreveport channels, either HD or SD. When I go to "My Channels" and use the numbers 5260, etc., they do not appear on the program guide. And when I go to system set up/locals, I see the Tyler channels listed but only one from Shreveport (channel 12). I have tried to add channel 12 to my locals list and it does appear on the guide but when I select that channel all I get is the screen saying the offair signal has been lost. It is unable to lock on and shows zero signal strength. So, I am getting locals from Tyler as it should be considering I am very close to Tyler and over 100 miles from Shreveport. The problem of course is that they are in SD only because I have the western arc instead of the eastern arc.

I contacted Dish again and told them all the information you have given me. They said since I am paying for locals and I am getting Tyler locals, I am entitled to receive them in HD. They said the tech that comes out will do what is necessary to achieve that. Guys at the Dishtv forum that I have posted this issue to have said the same thing although the new dish will have to be positioned more to the southeast than the southwest where it is now. That might present a problem due to trees and line of sight.

What I don't understand is the legal issue you raise. Why would it be illegal to get my locals in HD?

shortspark
post #1060 of 1067 Old 09-07-2014, 06:31 PM
AVS Special Member

That's not what I meant. What I meant was the cheat, called "moving", is not legal. You tell DISH you moved to a certain location that falls in the DMA you want. You fabricate that address. You tell them your billing address remains the same. You lie. That's the illegal part. I don't do it. I don't condone it.

As far as DMA goes, DISH doesn't decide your DMA. They may not be allowed to give you locals outside of your DMA. I don't know that for sure. That's why I said, "pretty sure."

You are correct, though. If you want the Tyler DMA HD LiLs and DISH allows it, they will have to change your dish to an Eastern arc configuration. This means a new dish and new LNBs with the dish pointed Eastward.

Not to confuse matters, but since you currently have Western arc (or at the very least 119), you should be able to tune to the Shreveport locals I listed. I don't mean over-the-air locals, but rather DISH provided.

What DISH receiver do you have? I don't know if you have this option on your receiver, but on my Hopper, there is a difference between "My Channels" and "All Channels". If you select "All Channels" you can find those channels in the guide and they will likely be red if they are turned off for your receiver. If they are not red, you should be able to tune to them. All of the other guide favorites, "My Channels", "My HD Channels", etc., will filter out those unsubscribed channels.

post #1061 of 1067 Old 09-07-2014, 06:47 PM
Advanced Member

I see what you mean now. No, I would not want to do that fake address either. I can't tune to those Shreveport channels and don't know why because what you said makes sense. None of my channel lists such as my channels, all channels, etc. have those Shreveport stations listed, with the exception of 12, which I can't get anyway because it is shown as an OTA channel, not a Dish channel. The receiver I am checking is the vip722K. I guess we'll wait and see what the tech guy says Tuesday. I will let you know what happens and thanks again for your effort on this - I have learned a lot and it is much appreciated.

shortspark
post #1062 of 1067 Old 09-07-2014, 07:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
...I can't tune to those Shreveport channels and don't know why...
The explanation for this is that DISH does NOT have you authorized for the Shreveport DMA. They probably have you authorized for the Tyler DMA, but they never converted you over to the Eastern arc when they moved the channels around a few years back. They did lots of consolidating such that now it's easier to get what you should get with only 1 dish.

Now, here's hoping you have LOS so they can actually install the EA dish.

If you're doing any upgrading, get the Hopper. You won't be disappointed. It's a huge upgrade from the 722. (I had a 722 for years.)

post #1063 of 1067 Old 09-08-2014, 12:51 AM
Advanced Member

I hope they have good LOS. I went to a site that shows line of sight for my exact location and it looks like I might be okay although there are some trees that could be in the way. If so I think I can trim them. I do not know much about Hopper but I'll look into getting it if it is a free upgrade. Your explanation about the DMA is probably correct and there is no telling when Dish started to provide Tyler locals in HD and I've missed out. Anyway, I'll let you know what happens after the tech guy gets here on Tuesday. Thanks again for your help. Here is the webpage I was talking about for LOS:
www.dishpointer.com

shortspark
post #1064 of 1067 Old 09-09-2014, 01:20 PM
Advanced Member

I wanted to let 120inna55 know that the Dish tech guy came out and did his thing in about one hour. He used my old dish and replaced the LNBs with a dual system. He had too much difficulty going through trees so I told him to go ahead and attach the dish to the roof wherever he could find the best LOS. I now get my Tyler locals in HD so all is well. Thanks for all the help, I really appreciate it.
120inna55 likes this.

shortspark
post #1065 of 1067 Old 09-10-2014, 08:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
I wanted to let 120inna55 know that the Dish tech guy came out and did his thing in about one hour. He used my old dish and replaced the LNBs with a dual system. He had too much difficulty going through trees so I told him to go ahead and attach the dish to the roof wherever he could find the best LOS. I now get my Tyler locals in HD so all is well. Thanks for all the help, I really appreciate it.

AHHH why didnt you just put up an outside TV antenna and get them over the air for free?? When it rains, you'll still be able to watch them over the air....
post #1066 of 1067 Old 09-11-2014, 02:52 AM
Advanced Member

I did have an outside antenna and one channel came in reliably all the time. However, the others were hit and miss for some reason and would show various signal strengths depending on the weather, time of day, etc. I often would experience the "loss of signal" screen for my locals. I had the antenna attached to my dish box so I could see what programming was upcoming with the guide. I could tweak the antenna but I would have to do that constantly depending on what channel I wanted to watch. I will have to still do that during the big rain storms, as you point out (IF it ever rains again in my part of Texas!).

If tweaking my antenna was the only problem I could live with it (and did live with it for over a year) but there was one more factor that required me to get locals on Dish rather than OTA - PBS. The HD PBS channel for my area is not in Tyler but is KERA located in Dallas. That is around 130 miles from me line of sight and my antenna can't reach out that far, even with the deep fringe antennas pointed squarely in that direction, which is in a different direction than the Tyler stations. I record and archive a lot of live concerts, operas from the MET and stuff like that which is broadcast and available only on PBS, so having that in HD finally is really great and makes a world of difference.

So for these reasons I really don't mind paying the extra few dollars to have my locals provided by Dish (it is worth it for the program guide alone but I really am happy now with them coming in HD). This is especially true because most of my viewing is via my Epson 3D, 1080P projector shooting on a 106" Carada screen. It is virtually impossible trying to watch SD on a screen that size whereas HD is nothing short of stunning.

shortspark
post #1067 of 1067 Old 09-19-2014, 06:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Yeah I know KERA....(I was in DFW for 5 years and know CH back then pretty well..though things have changed since I left)...Did you have an amp on the outside antenna? I had a RS VU90 at 20ft with a Channel Master 7777 right at the antenna and could watch Houston full power DTs 90+ miles away...(even in the daytime) this was using the DISH 722DVR tuner...From Tyler to CH you have more trees to worry about but you can probably go higher than 20 ft (I did it on the cheap with two 10ft sections of top rail and an eave mount at the peak of the second story..Its always nice to have OTA backup...
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page