Tyler, TX - HDTV - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 1052 Old 01-06-2004, 01:37 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
After purchasing a HD television set about four months ago I finally decided it would be nice to actually view some HD programming. What options other than going with a DBS provider are available? I currently subscribe to Cox digital cable and have to admit that the SD channels whether analog or digital actually look pretty decent on my 55 inch set. Of course I have never seen any HD material so what do I know. I have contacted Cox several times regarding the future availability of HD on cable, but they pretty much seem clueless so I assume it may be some time before it is available. I would like to stay with Cox at least for the internet service since DSL it not available at my address.

Are any of the locals (KLTV, KETK, KFXK) actually transmitting a DTV signal that you can receive and if so do they provide any network HDTV programming? I also read in the paper that the Nacogdoches NBC affiliate was moving to Tyler and would become a CBS affiliate sometime in the next three months. Since they are building a new tower closer to Tyler do you think they will have DTV transmitter up and running at the same time their new analog transmitter becomes operational?

I picked up an HDTV tuner on ebay, but could not receive any DTV signals with an indoor antenna. I could receive all the local analog stations with the indoor antenna. I would not mind installing an outdoor antenna if there is a chance I could receive any OTA DTV signals.

Any thoughts or information would be appreciated.

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 1052 Old 01-06-2004, 02:18 PM
AVS Special Member

According to the National Association of Broadcasters website, the closest stations that are broadcasting digitally in your area are in Shreveport and Dallas--that is to say, not very close. My dad lives in Longview so I know how limited your options are.

Basically, if you want HDTV programming anytime before the mid-21st century, you'd better take a long, hard look at DirecTV or Echostar (DISH) satellite HDTV service. The Tyler/Longview area is so far down the Nielsen DMA (Designated Market Area) food chain that it will be a long, long time (if ever) before the stations in your area start HDTV broadcasts. The fact that your local stations aren't even broadcasting digitally, let alone in high definition, is telling. Remember, there is no requirement that broadcasters transmit in high definition by 2006... your local stations could get away with pumping out a standard definition 480i signal if/when they get around to commencing digital broadcasts, and that's hardly better than what you have right now with NTSC.

And yes, HDTV is light-years better than NTSC. Remember how shockingly clear the picture was the first time you saw a DVD on your new HD set? Well, HDTV will give you a similar revelation in comparison to DVDs (1080i HDTV resolution is six times greater than 480p DVD on a pixel basis).

Believe me--you will be on your second or third HDTV set by the time the stations in East Texas start HDTV broadcasts. If you want to enjoy HDTV now, your only option is satellite.
post #3 of 1052 Old 01-07-2004, 12:11 PM - Thread Starter

Scott:

Thanks for the link to national association of broadcasters (nab) site. After
searching through the list for the Tyler DMA and not finding it I did a search and found that the Tyler-Longview-Nacogdoches DMA ranking was 109. While this certainly is not in the top 100 there seem to be plenty of markets with a ranking greater than 109 that have stations transmitting a DTV signal.

Does anyone from the Tyler area have information on the availability of HDTV from Cox cable or any information on OTA DTV from the local stations (KLTV, KETK and KFXK)?

By the way I noticed in the Tyler paper this morning that the new CBS affiliate that will operating in Tyler soon will be transmitting in analog as well as digital and HDTV, at least thats what the article said. It will probably be another two years before they actually do transmit a DTV signal much less in HDTV.
post #4 of 1052 Old 02-10-2004, 02:22 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
TG, I just found this thread when I did a search for Shreveport. First of all, Scott is correct in everything he is saying. It will be a long, long time before the Tyler stations broadcast HD. I live about 35 miles north of Tyler and have D* as my primary HD provider. It ain't much but it is better than nothing. I do get the two HD locals (usually) out of Shreveport however. They are CBS channels 12 (12-1 digital) and ABC channels 3 (3-1 digital). The NBC affiliate has a dinky tower attempting to transmit HD but you have to live under the thing to get it. Even then, I think it is down for repair more often than not. The same was true for KSLA (12) up until a few weeks ago. It was very undependable but I guess those of us in E. Texas and LA. raised enough stink that they finally did something. Since about a week before the Super Bowl it has been just about perfect (Keep your fingers crossed!). BTW, there is a thread just for Shreveport here. Find it and you'll get a bunch of information.

Now, how do you get these "locals"? Well, in my case I'm on a rather high point in Wood County. I'm in the woods for sure but still rather high. In addition, I have a CM deep fringe antenna, CM pre-amp and remote control rotor for fine tuning to the stations. All this sits atop a 60 foot tower. My set top box (Zenith 520) is fairly powerful too especially for OTA signals and also helps me with the rotor settings by providing signal strengths for each station. We are about 30 miles too far from Dallas to do any good there. And Shreveport is really stretching the limits of even my set up due to my 90 mile distance from their towers. So, for us here in E. Texas, as Scott said, it is not a good picture for HD (no pun intended-LOL!).

shortspark
post #5 of 1052 Old 02-13-2004, 10:16 AM

tg4110,

Don't be discouraged with Tyler HDTV. Right now there is a legal battle going on between KLTV and IBN over the use of channel 10. As soon as the FCC makes a final ruling, KLTV plans to go on the air at full power.

KETK and KFXK already have DTV signals, however at extremely low power. This is a real disappointment, but they will start feeling the pressure to upgrade their facilities as KLSB (CBS 19) comes on air in July. And if this does not get KETK moving, the fact that the FCC has sold the 700 MHz band, out from under KETK, to the land mobile service, will get them moving!

As it stands now, KTBS 3(28) and KSLA 12(17) are the only game in town. At my location, I receive KTBS (85 miles distant) reliably and KSLA only occasionally. I can occasionally receive Dallas DTV stations but that is farther away, at 95 miles. I use a Winegard HP2710 antenna, which is a medium gain suburban antenna, and a Channel Master 7777 preamp. These are mounted at 30 feet. This is not a spectacular antenna/amp combination and was not designed for 85 mile reception. Also, I am not on a high hill.

So, depending on where you are, try an outdoor antenna with preamp. Check the selections at Wiltronics, in Tyler. They have been in this business for years and know what works in this area. Draw an imaginary line through the centre of Tyler, north to south. If you are east of that line, Shreveport will be your best bet. If you are west of that line, try Dallas.

Also, it would not hurt contacting the GMs of the Tyler area stations (email addresses on their respective websites), and politely ask them what their DTV plans are. Let's let them know we are interested!

Kindest Regards,
Hank

Hank
post #6 of 1052 Old 04-20-2004, 04:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 26
TG4110,

Hank is right. The new CBS affiliate is going on the air this summer with HDTV on channel 18! I am hoping this is going to pressure Channels 7 and 56 to go full power digital and with HD.

Also, I just got an e-mail from Cox Cable that they are going to offer their HD service this June.

post #7 of 1052 Old 06-14-2004, 10:23 AM

The new CBS affiliate, KYTX 19 (18) is on the air as of 12 June.

Hank
post #8 of 1052 Old 06-14-2004, 10:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Hank,

Are you saying their HD signal(18) is also on the air? Also, they are constructing the new tower at New Summerfield. Is it in operation yet? The reason I ask is that I am wondering if I will be able to pull in the HD signal with an indoor antenna. Or will I need some kind of attic unit?

Also, Cox Cable is supposed to start their HD service here tomorrow, June 15, in the rebuild area. However, as of now, I do not have the new channel lineup that is supposed to appear when you get the rebuild at your house.

post #9 of 1052 Old 06-14-2004, 11:25 AM

They started with the HD signal Thursday night. The analogue signal followed the next day. Both signals are from their new tower at Ponta.

I am receiving both using a Winegard HD7210P, which is a very small directional antenna, preamp added, mounted on an outdoor tower up 30 feet. These signals are 30 miles south of where I live and at my particular location, I have problems with ghosting on signals from the south.

The HD signal is perfect quality. I do not know what your situation is, but I would question an indoor or attic installation reliability. However, if you get the analogue signals with such a set up, you should be ok for the digital.
I had the new HD signal on and the analogue on PIP. The digital held steady even when the analogue was not watchable.

Good luck.

Hank

Hank
post #10 of 1052 Old 06-26-2004, 09:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Well, I went and got a huge(150" boom) el cheapo Antennacraft VHF/UHF/FM antenna, a Channel Master remote control rotator and a couple of masts. I have the antenna up only about 15 feet and when it is pointed at KYTX it is "looking through the roof of the house, but KYTX' digital signal seems to be perfect.

This is my first experience with HDTV on my Mitsubishi 55613. The built-in tuner picked up the signal right away upon scanning(something it never did when trying 2 different indoor antennas). CBS had a HD broadcast of the movie Keeping the Faith running tonight, and I am impressed. Much more detailed and better color than a DVD, although it seemed really dark. I had to turn the TV brighness control up several notches.

I don't believe, however, that when commercials or other 4:3 programming is running, that KYTX' aspect ratio framing is correct. Some of the text at the bottom of the screen was cut off. But if I switched to KYTX' analog broadcast on Cox Cable, everthing was visible and normal. Also, strangely, the picture quality was better when viewing KYTX analog on Cox, compared with their digital picture; again, I am talking strictly about non-HD content.

post #11 of 1052 Old 09-08-2004, 11:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Is the Fox affiliate in Tyler going to have the NFL in HD this Sunday? Last I had heard they were not running very much power. I've got family in the area and I'm hoping that they will be able to get Fox as well as CBS(they get digital 18 OK).
post #12 of 1052 Old 09-08-2004, 04:12 PM
AVS Special Member

I don't think so. Fox here is operating on a STA permit with minimal power. I have heard nothing about them going full power, but I would love it.

The local CBS affiliate , ch 18, is a blowtorch.

post #13 of 1052 Old 09-08-2004, 09:19 PM
AVS Special Member

What digital channel would the Fox affiliate be on---and where is their transmitter?
post #14 of 1052 Old 09-09-2004, 04:27 PM
AVS Special Member

http://www.fox51.com/

Doesn't say anything about their digital channel. You might e-mail them.

Their transmitter is 15-20 miles east of Tyler.

post #15 of 1052 Old 09-09-2004, 05:46 PM - Thread Starter

I was recently upgraded as part of the cox Tyler rebuild to include HD. I received the Motorola DCT 6412 box with DVR. The DVR works pretty well although I wish they would upgrade the software to activate the dual tuner capability.

The HD service is lacking as it only includes ESPNHD, Discovery HD, INHD1 & INHD2. HBO and Starz are available in HD as long as you subscribe to HBO or Starz.

The new local CBS station is the only local station transmitting a decent DTV signal. I can pick it up with a small indoor antenna without any problem. I wish the local NBC and ABC affiliates would get their act together with respect to DTV, but I really should not complain since now we at least have some access to HDTV even though it is limited.
post #16 of 1052 Old 09-11-2004, 09:08 PM
AVS Special Member

It would also be really nice if Fox51 would go HD, since Fox now has NFL in HD!

Also, the engineer at Channel 7 told me they are being delayed because their application is still held up at the FCC due to a protest from a low power broadcaster in the area.

Boy, you are lucky to have the Cox rebuild already. I was notified in April that HD was going to be available in my area. But, according to a guy at the office on Glenwood, my street is not scheduled at this point for the upgrade. He said it might be in 2005. How does ESPNHD look on Cox? There are a lot of compaints about problems with ESPNHD via satellite, due to compression of the signal. Aslo, how much extra is it costing you to have HD?

post #17 of 1052 Old 09-13-2004, 01:39 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by mtrot
It would also be really nice if Fox51 would go HD, since Fox now has NFL in HD!

Also, the engineer at Channel 7 told me they are being delayed because their application is still held up at the FCC due to a protest from a low power broadcaster in the area.

Boy, you are lucky to have the Cox rebuild already. I was notified in April that HD was going to be available in my area. But, according to a guy at the office on Glenwood, my street is not scheduled at this point for the upgrade. He said it might be in 2005. How does ESPNHD look on Cox? There are a lot of compaints about problems with ESPNHD via satellite, due to compression of the signal. Aslo, how much extra is it costing you to have HD?

The Texas/Arkansas game looked great on ESPNHD Saturday night. The KC/Denver game was equally impressive on Sunday night. The HD DVR stb is $9.95/month plus $4.95/month for the DVR service. In addition Cox charges $4.95/month for the DiscoveryHD channel. No additional charge for ESPNHD.
post #18 of 1052 Old 12-18-2004, 02:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Originally posted by tg4110
I was recently upgraded as part of the cox Tyler rebuild to include HD. I received the Motorola DCT 6412 box with DVR. The DVR works pretty well although I wish they would upgrade the software to activate the dual tuner capability.

The HD service is lacking as it only includes ESPNHD, Discovery HD, INHD1 & INHD2. HBO and Starz are available in HD as long as you subscribe to HBO or Starz.

The new local CBS station is the only local station transmitting a decent DTV signal. I can pick it up with a small indoor antenna without any problem. I wish the local NBC and ABC affiliates would get their act together with respect to DTV, but I really should not complain since now we at least have some access to HDTV even though it is limited.

Hmm, it is interesting that you got the 6412 box. Since it looks like I am finally(next week) going to get the Cox upgrade in my area, I went up there to get a look at the box, and the one they said I would get is the Motorola 6200. How is it different from the 6412?

post #19 of 1052 Old 01-02-2005, 01:33 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Hmm, it is interesting that you got the 6412 box. Since it looks like I am finally(next week) going to get the Cox upgrade in my area, I went up there to get a look at the box, and the one they said I would get is the Motorola 6200. How is it different from the 6412?

I am not sure but I believe the Moto 6200 is a HD box without the DVR. The Moto 6208 has a DVR but I am not sure if it will record in HD. The Moto 6412 will record in HD and has dual tuner capabilty.
post #20 of 1052 Old 01-02-2005, 04:43 PM
AVS Special Member

I have spoken to the engineer at KLTV 7 a couple of times, and he says he would like to move forward with HD, but that they are in a dispute with a low-power station over the channel assigment. I don't know what the holdup is with KETK and the Fox station.

post #21 of 1052 Old 01-04-2005, 04:50 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

I have spoken to the engineer at KLTV 7 a couple of times, and he says he would like to move forward with HD, but that they are in a dispute with a low-power station over the channel assigment. I don't know what the holdup is with KETK and the Fox station.

I expect that KLTV will be the next local stattion to offer HD, hopefully before the end of 2005. It would sure have been nice to see the BCS games in HD. Once you watch a football game in HD it is hard to watch a game in SD.

I had the chance to speak with Phil Hurley from the CBS affiliate about HD and he said it may be 3 to 5 years before KETK and the Fox station convert to digital. It has something to with money and the cost of digital broadcast equipment.

Have you upgraded your service with Cox to HD?
post #22 of 1052 Old 01-04-2005, 07:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Yes, the rebuild was completed 2 weeks ago, and I picked up my box right away. ESPNHD is pretty impressive--it is not quite as sharp as CBS, but does not have the pixelation problems of CBS.

What I am now hoping is that Cox will pick up ESPN2HD, now that it is available.

My other wish-list channels are TNT-HD and HDNet.

post #23 of 1052 Old 01-06-2005, 06:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Well, sadly I got this e-mail response from Cox:

"Thank you for your inquiry regarding your local programming.

Unfortunately, at this time, there are no plans to add ESPN2 to the HDTV
lineup.

Your request will be forwarded to our Marketing Department. The request
will be logged so to help stimulate future decisions in adding new
channels."

post #24 of 1052 Old 01-15-2005, 06:46 AM

Does anyone know what output ch56 (22) is using? Tx location? Plans for full power? I am located 20mi due west of Palestine. I get CBS (18) at 9 Bars on the SIR-T151 but only 2-3 bars for ch 22 (56), intermittently. How about ch7, KLTV, I think. Will they use a UHF freq for DT? FOX 51 out of Longview - is it full power? ... thanx. BTW, I am using the CM 4228 with winegard 8780 preamp, 28 db gain ...
post #25 of 1052 Old 01-15-2005, 07:35 AM
AVS Special Member

I am now getting HD through Cox cable, so I am not sure about all your questions. There used to be a user on here, HankH, that was picking up HD via antenna and was really up on this.

I do not think any of the other Tyler area stations are broadcasting full-power digital TV, because if they were, I think Cox would be carrying them on their HD tier.

post #26 of 1052 Old 01-15-2005, 04:31 PM

Do you think USDTV will come to Tyler? I just hate to pay the exorbitant fees charged by cable and satellite co's ...
post #27 of 1052 Old 01-16-2005, 10:35 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Does anyone know what output ch56 (22) is using? Tx location? Plans for full power? I am located 20mi due west of Palestine. I get CBS (18) at 9 Bars on the SIR-T151 but only 2-3 bars for ch 22 (56), intermittently. How about ch7, KLTV, I think. Will they use a UHF freq for DT? FOX 51 out of Longview - is it full power? ... thanx. BTW, I am using the CM 4228 with winegard 8780 preamp, 28 db gain ...

According to the fcc website info KETK-DT (22) is currently broadcasting at only 3,790 watts at a height of 103 meters which would account for your poor reception.

Fox 51 - KFXK-DT (31) is broadcasting at only 250 watts from a height of 27 meters which means you probably would need to be no more than a couple of miles away to receive a signal.

KLTV-DT will use vhf channel 10, but currently they do not appear to be transmitting any digital signal.

The CBS station KYTX-DT (18) on the other hand is transmitting at 640,000 watts from a height of 457 meters which accounts for their strong signal.
post #28 of 1052 Old 01-16-2005, 11:34 AM

thanx, tg & mtrot - Since I am in a deep fringe area, I am trying to get the best setup for maximum gain. I tried the PR9032 yagi (not as good as the cm 4228 8 bay dipole), tried the CM -7777 preamp @ 26 DB gain (not as good as the winegard AP8780 - 28 db gain). It gets a little expensive. I found a website (hdtvprimer) thay charted the gain cures for several antennas. At the low end of UHF (14 to 35), the winegard 8880 is by far the best with the cm 4228 close behind. All the rest suck if you're looking for all possible signal. Has anyone tried the winegard 8880?. A couple of DB here and there add up. I have also minimized the cable lengths (RG6) ...
post #29 of 1052 Old 04-23-2005, 11:24 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 12
HDNET TO BROADCAST GAMES 2-5 OF FIRST ROUND IN PLAYOFFS

For Immediate Release- April 23, 2005

DALLAS - The Dallas Mavericks and HDNet announced today that fans will
be able to watch Games 2 through 5 of the Mavs vs. Rockets Round 1
Playoff Series in high-definition on HDNet in Texas.

"There's nothing more exciting than playoff time, especially when you
have a match-up featuring two Texas teams," said Mavs owner Mark Cuban.
"HDNet and the Mavs want to give viewers at home an experience that is
almost as good as being there."

Co-founded by Cuban and General Manager Philip Garvin, HDNet provides
viewers with exciting and topical news, sports, music and entertainment
programming. The network features up to 20 hours of original
programming each week, all produced in the highest quality 1080i HDTV
format - more original high-definition programming than any other
network.

HDNet news and entertainment includes original series "HDNet World
Report," "Face 2 Face with Roy Firestone," "Art Mann Presents," "HDNet
Concert Series," and "True Music," as well as every episode of the
acclaimed Warner Bros. series "Smallville." Live sports productions
include NASCAR auto racing, National Hockey League and Major League
Soccer games.

HDNet Movies, the company's second network, shows a wide selection of
major studios' theatrical releases - all uncut, unedited, and appearing
in their original aspect ratio. The network also features movies
produced and finished in true 1080i high-definition, including movies
premiering day and date with their theatrical releases.

Fans can contact their cable or satellite providers or visit www.hd.net
for more information. Comcast does not currently carry HDNet and HDNet
Movies, so Mavs Playoff games in HD are not available to Comcast
customers. Comcast customers are asked to call their local office and
let them know they want HDNet and the Mavs in HD.

MAVERICKS 2005 PLAYOFF HDNET SCHEDULE
(All Times Listed CT)
Game 2 Mon., April 25 - Rockets @ Mavs 8:30 p.m.
Game 3 Thurs., April 28 - Mavs @ Rockets 8:30
p.m.
Game 4 Sat., April 30 - Mavs @ Rockets 4:30 p.m.
Game 5 Mon., May 2 - Rockets @ Mavs, if necessary TBD

'Better Living Through Modern, Expensive, Electronic Devices'

post #30 of 1052 Old 04-23-2005, 12:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Thanks for the update. However, unfortunately, I cannot receive HDNet on Cox Cable here. At least, game one on ESPN will hopefully be HD.

Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page