Forum Jump: 

post #691 of 695 Old 12-06-2011, 07:40 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulGo View Post

I just received notice from Comcast that Montgomery County. MD will be discontinuing all analog channels and going all digital on or about December, 6, 2011. At the bottom of the notice Comcast states that the limited basic channels will not be scrambled and can be received with a QAM tuner. Although it is not stated in this communication I assume this also means that we will be adding additional HD channels.

Just got notice from Comcrap that the new channels in DC are . . . wait for it . . . Newschannel 8-HD and HSN-HD.

Seriously? I'm a soccer fan so I really, really wanted to see FSC-HD and/or GolTV-HD, but it's not like we have BBCA-HD either. Or any of the secondary premium channels in HD. I will now put my head through a plate glass window.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #692 of 695 Old 12-08-2011, 01:17 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KLEEEG View Post

Same problem in MOCO for me.

If you have not already done so, would you please be so kind as to call comcast and report the problem. When I do, they say no one else has called so it can't really be much of a problem ...
post #693 of 695 Old 02-08-2012, 10:20 PM

I have updated

http://mgrunes.com/comcast.html

which is a list of Comcast Preferred Channel Lineup channels, available from Comcast in North College Park, with some notes on which channels were included the Digital Starter package.

It also includes the clear QAM channels from the same cable service.

Quite a few channels now require the cable box that didn't used to. A message appears on the screen indicating that you need a digital cable box to see [most] channels. I guess that means they must be using about the same bandwidth to transmit that message as it would have taken to transmit the channel itself in NTSC format.

In addition, some channels, like Universal Sports (which I like), that used to be available are no longer available.
post #694 of 695 Old 02-09-2012, 01:35 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 12
Topics merged.

'Better Living Through Modern, Expensive, Electronic Devices'

post #695 of 695 Old 02-09-2012, 01:47 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by MRG1 View Post

I have updated

http://mgrunes.com/comcast.html

which is a list of Comcast Preferred Channel Lineup channels, available from Comcast in North College Park, with some notes on which channels were included the Digital Starter package.

That could use some simplification. It's very confusing.

Quote:

Quite a few channels now require the cable box that didn't used to.

Yes, this is old news. Since 2008, Comcast has been implementing Project Cavalry, which removes analog channels and encrypts digital ones except for locals, gov/edu/shop/public service, and a very few others that vary from area to area.

Next up they will eliminate all analog channels and encrypt all digital channels, which has already started in some areas.

Quote:

A message appears on the screen indicating that you need a digital cable box to see [most] channels. I guess that means they must be using about the same bandwidth to transmit that message as it would have taken to transmit the channel itself in NTSC format.

Keep guessing. It uses about zero bandwidth, much less than one analog channel, which uses as much as 10-15 digital SD channels.

Quote:

In addition, some channels, like Universal Sports (which I like), that used to be available are no longer available.

This has nothing directly to do with Comcast. Universal Sports was carried by local OTA stations across the country, and subsequently on Comcast systems, but as of 1/1/12 it's no longer available via OTA. Since Comcast owns NBCUniversal, which is the minority owner of Universal Sports, expect to see it show up again, in HD, on one of your Comcast system's digital tiers. The only question is when. Best guess at this point is sometime between now and the Olympics in July.

'Better Living Through Modern, Expensive, Electronic Devices'

Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page