Central Florida Winter 2004 thread - Page 10 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #271 of 498 Old 02-15-2004, 09:31 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Caught the Busch race on NBC. Looked great. I did notice a sync issue with it though. Seemed to be just during the race. Not the comercials nor the little filler clips. I'm watching the Nextel cup Prerace... same problem. I guess it there problem not the transmition from the tower.

anybody seeing this?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #272 of 498 Old 02-15-2004, 12:59 PM

Anyone have STI cable?

The company, Strategic Technologies Inc is owned by Lennar Corporation which is the Parent of Lennar Homes.

Apparently if you live in a new Lennar Homes development in Orange County or Winter Garden, you will have no choice but to have STI cable. Apparently they will not be allowing ANY satellite antennas or other cable systems into their developments which I guess will be controlled through the HOA.

http://www.sticare.com/
http://edocs.ci.orlando.fl.us/asv/pa...2?OpenDocument

Anyone else know about this?

Peter Shipp
ISF, HAA, SBCA, CEDIA Certified
ps@aecustom.com
post #273 of 498 Old 02-15-2004, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by PeterShipp
Anyone have STI cable?

The company, Strategic Technologies Inc is owned by Lennar Corporation which is the Parent of Lennar Homes.

Apparently if you live in a new Lennar Homes development in Orange County or Winter Garden, you will have no choice but to have STI cable. Apparently they will not be allowing ANY satellite antennas or other cable systems into their developments which I guess will be controlled through the HOA.

http://www.sticare.com/
http://edocs.ci.orlando.fl.us/asv/pa...2?OpenDocument

Anyone else know about this?

Isn't that against the law?
post #274 of 498 Old 02-15-2004, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by PeterShipp

Peter,
I'm not an attorney (but I stayed in a Holiday Inn last night :D ) but what I have read in the past Federal law supersedes these HOA rules concerning reception of OTA signals and placement of Dishes.

Read the following:

http://www.satellitetvmania.com/fcccase.htm

I believe this would allow placement of other Dish antennas in this development.

JD Moser

JD Moser

DBEYR
Caveat Emptor
post #275 of 498 Old 02-15-2004, 01:56 PM

Yes I know, 1996 Telecom act if I remember correctly. That’s what I was thinking, but I was watching a Osceola County commission meeting, and they were discussing rules for a development that Lennar is doing and one of the things that came up was the exclusive STI Cable agreement. It is against the law.

I was more curious if anyone had this service and if they were expanding to more than just select developments, I.E. competing with BHN or Adelphia. Look at the Ciry of Orlando link I put on my last post. From reading their website it sounds like they eventually sell their systems to larger local cable companies.

Peter Shipp
ps@aecustom.com
post #276 of 498 Old 02-15-2004, 07:21 PM

Newbie alert!

The boyfriend and I just bought an HD-ready television and I'm looking into our options for programming. We're locked into DirecTV for the time being and I'm not particularly interested in their HD package; I'm more interested in network programming (WB, CBS, etc). So it seems like OTA is the way to go. I think I've got my ducks in a row with regards to set-top boxes, but I'm pretty shaky on the antenna situation.

We're in downtown Orlando proper, in a new apartment complex on Church Street. Our apartment is on the 8th floor, with a small balcony facing west/southwest (we can look out and see the Citrus Bowl). Can someone tell me what this means to me in terms of OTA HD reception? What sort of antenna I might need?

My only experience is with aiming DirecTV dishes and that's pretty much point-and-go.

Thanks in advance!
post #277 of 498 Old 02-15-2004, 07:42 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by thess
Newbie alert!

The boyfriend and I just bought an HD-ready television and I'm looking into our options for programming. We're locked into DirecTV for the time being and I'm not particularly interested in their HD package; I'm more interested in network programming (WB, CBS, etc). So it seems like OTA is the way to go. I think I've got my ducks in a row with regards to set-top boxes, but I'm pretty shaky on the antenna situation.

We're in downtown Orlando proper, in a new apartment complex on Church Street. Our apartment is on the 8th floor, with a small balcony facing west/southwest (we can look out and see the Citrus Bowl). Can someone tell me what this means to me in terms of OTA HD reception? What sort of antenna I might need?

My only experience is with aiming DirecTV dishes and that's pretty much point-and-go.

Thanks in advance!
All the transmitters are east of you, but being 8 floors up can be good, that is unless there are lots of other tall buildings around you. If you can see the citrus bowl that’s not good. Good if you want DirecTV, but not to see the bithlo towers.

How far South, or better yet East can you see?

If you have a compass look at the numbers around the outside (azimuth), the citrus bowl is probably in the 200s-300s (to get DirecTV you are pointed at 220). To get Orlando OTA stations you would need an antenna to point at around 95 degrees.

Check out www.antennaweb.org it will tell you the exact direction you need to point to based on your address.

Peter Shipp
ps@aecustom.com
post #278 of 498 Old 02-15-2004, 08:04 PM

Quote:
All the transmitters are east of you, but being 8 floors up can be good, that is unless there are lots of other tall buildings around you. If you can see the citrus bowl that’s not good. Good if you want DirecTV, but not to see the bithlo towers.

How far South, or better yet East can you see?

If you have a compass look at the numbers around the outside (azimuth), the citrus bowl is probably in the 200s-300s (to get DirecTV you are pointed at 220). To get Orlando OTA stations you would need an antenna to point at around 95 degrees.
Well, bah. It looks like I've got about 180-360 azimuth, and that's all unobstructed skyline (the Citrus Bowl is more on the horizon). So my lack of clear eastern view is going to screw me?

I'll check out the link you provided--thanks.

ETA: And it looks like the channel I'm most interested in--WKCF (WB)--needs 85-86 degrees. Bah, I say.
post #279 of 498 Old 02-17-2004, 07:08 AM
AVS Special Member

thess - is brighthouse network not available? don't want to pay the extra for digital?

I have that and you get all the locals and no issues and a total of 14 HD channels available - CBS, ABC, UPN, WB, NBC - locals is all there.......
post #280 of 498 Old 02-17-2004, 07:57 AM

It's available--it's just that we're currently locked into a contract with DirecTV. The dish sits out on the balcony. I think the contract is not up until next September... And even if we switched, I would seriously miss my dual-tuner DirecTivos.
post #281 of 498 Old 02-17-2004, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by mhdiab
thess - is brighthouse network not available? don't want to pay the extra for digital?

I have that and you get all the locals and no issues and a total of 14 HD channels available - CBS, ABC, UPN, WB, NBC - locals is all there.......

I had that brighthouse junk. Damn box woudn't let me change the aspect ratio.

"oh... that's not available in your area" They told me.
post #282 of 498 Old 02-17-2004, 09:20 AM

Location: Ormond Beach (Daytona Beach suburb, Orlando viewing area)
Quote:
Originally posted by thess
Circuit City and Best Buy's return policies make it possible to experiment without risk. Get a cheap digital off air tuner, and a bow tie antenna. If you get a steady signal on most channels keep your stuff and/or possibly upgrade to a set top box that also tunes DirecTV. (I believe that if you pay for the HBO or Showtime channels, you also have access to their HD channels without having to pay for the HD package.) If you get a poor signal on most of the channels, just return your equipment for a full refund.

I've posted this before, but I've snuck my HD tuner into work, and even at 47 miles from Bithlow and trapped between two large metal wharehouses, I pick up every Orlando digital channel with the bow tie antenna. (however, Since WESH NBC 11 is a vhf channel, I need to use a 10 dB amp in order to pick it up with the bow tie)

If you need use a larger antenna, Lowes has some very large vhf/uhf combo antennas, and they will let you return them if you are not satisfied.

If you decide to try out some HD equipment, let us know how it works. If you get borderline reception, we may have some tips to help you tweek performance.

JD
post #283 of 498 Old 02-17-2004, 12:25 PM

I have a question

I have a 51" sony hdtv
I also have the DVR that brighthouse offers for the digital cable and I just got an HD box from them(not the pace box) since I wanted to check out the HD feed on my set. Since brighthouses's HD dvr isn't ready yet I opted to having both boxes connected. Now, everything works great with a splitter running between the boxes, however, when I have the HD box on, and display the no hd channels with it, they look alot worse than they do when I have the DVR box on displaying regular digital cable, also I cannot change the aspect ratio of any channels when I'm viewing regular cable thru the HD box. Does anyone else experience this? my boss at work who just recently got a HD tv and has the same setup as me notices the same thing. Regular digital cable displayed thru the hd box just looks terrible. I hope that when the HD DVR comes out that this isn't the case as its pretty much unwatchable
post #284 of 498 Old 02-17-2004, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Marco33
I had that brighthouse junk. Damn box woudn't let me change the aspect ratio.

"oh... that's not available in your area" They told me.
I got the Pace box yesterday and I discovered not only can you change the aspect ratio, better yet I can pass the signal through to my scailer card and let it handle all the work. Its amazing to see the screen change as you switch channels. There are bugs, but that'll be worked out soon enough.

-=≡£σu≡=-
post #285 of 498 Old 02-17-2004, 07:44 PM

I've searched this forum, and I was thought I saw someone say that star trek was broadcast in hd on upn 65. Whenever I've flipped on to check, it has been in sd, as it was sunday evening. What's the story?
post #286 of 498 Old 02-17-2004, 07:48 PM
AVS Special Member

UPN sends Enterprise to WRBW in HD but the home viewers rarely see it since WRBW cannot be bothered to flip the switch.

Visit the orlandodigital.tv website
Central Florida ISF Calibration

post #287 of 498 Old 02-17-2004, 08:07 PM

Do they have a contact number, or does pestering not help?
post #288 of 498 Old 02-17-2004, 08:37 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Because they don't want to be pestered, they don't publish a contact number or email address.
post #289 of 498 Old 02-18-2004, 03:35 AM

Maybe a small letter writing campaign might help. Should be addressed to the Station Manager.
post #290 of 498 Old 02-18-2004, 04:37 PM

Does anyone know why the Magic game tonight (Feb 18) isn't on Channel 1000 in HD on Brighthouse cable....despite the Guide showing it as scheduled...and the anouncers on SD touting it as a high def broadcast??

Considering their record...maybe it's just as well. :rolleyes:
post #291 of 498 Old 02-18-2004, 05:06 PM
AVS Special Member

I almost fell out of my chair when WRBW flipped the switch right on time at the beginning of Enterprise in HD.

Brighthouse spent a lot of marketing money to advertise the Magic in HD. It would be a shame if a technical glitch prevented the game from reaching the viewers.

Visit the orlandodigital.tv website
Central Florida ISF Calibration

post #292 of 498 Old 02-18-2004, 05:31 PM

WCEU-DT and subchannels are available as follows on BHN

1150-WCEU-DT 1 (WCEU rebroadcast)
1151-WCEU-DT 2 (PBS You*)
1152-WCEU-DT 3 (Florida's Knowledge Network)
1153-WCEU-DT 4 (Florida Channel)

James Westerfield
Lake Mary, FL
post #293 of 498 Old 02-19-2004, 05:26 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Barry928

Brighthouse spent a lot of marketing money to advertise the Magic in HD. It would be a shame if a technical glitch prevented the game from reaching the viewers.
Sometime around the beginning of the second quarter, Brighthouse "flipped the switch"...and the Magic appeared in HD on Channel 1000. Very professional.:p
post #294 of 498 Old 02-19-2004, 06:47 PM

I just received my Pace 550 box today, and I have a few questions. Should I set my resolution to pass, or to 1080i? My tv is a Pioneer Elite pro-520hd, and does not support 720p. When I set the resolution to 1080i, the non hd channels look really stretched when using the stretch mode on the Pace remote. I normally watch all 4:3 material in Natural wide, but I cannot use Natural wide when the picture is in 1080i.
post #295 of 498 Old 02-19-2004, 07:23 PM

Quote:
WCEU-DT and subchannels are available as follows on BHN ...
is it just our set, or is the video sinc way off on all these PBS subchannels? the audio is well ahead of the video on every one of the subs -- some worse than others. WMFE, however, has no noticeable delay. we have BHN using a digital fixed pixel display.
post #296 of 498 Old 02-20-2004, 07:25 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by djdv8
I just received my Pace 550 box today, and I have a few questions. Should I set my resolution to pass, or to 1080i? My tv is a Pioneer Elite pro-520hd, and does not support 720p. When I set the resolution to 1080i, the non hd channels look really stretched when using the stretch mode on the Pace remote. I normally watch all 4:3 material in Natural wide, but I cannot use Natural wide when the picture is in 1080i.
I think you need to set the box to up-convert to 1080i. If you set it to "pass" then stations that broadcast in 720p...like ABC...will cause a problem.

If you hit the # key on your remote, are you saying that the Pace box will not switch to "normal" width?...My Pace box let's me toggle thru the options regardless of the resolution setting.
post #297 of 498 Old 02-20-2004, 05:28 PM

Setting the Pace box to Pass will allow your TV to do the conversion to the resolution it wants. It should not cause a problem since almost all consumer TV's are able to convert 1080i 720p 480p and 480i to whatever resolution it wants. Only problem I have seen is if your TV (or usually projector) looses sync when the resolution changes, it may take a few seconds for the internal scaler to re-sync.

I would play around and see which works better. If you leave the box at 1080i you are letting the pace box do all the up conversion. Depending on the quality of scaler in your tv, it may do this better.

Most setups I do I have found the equipment I am using for video processing does a better job than the scaler in the pace box, but it all depends what equipment you have and more importantly what you think looks better.

Peter Shipp
ps@aecustom.com
post #298 of 498 Old 02-20-2004, 09:33 PM

djdv8,

I also have the Pace box connected to a Pioneer Elite, although mine is a 530 connected through DVI. I prefer to let my TV convert the signal.

I also prefer the Natural Wide setting on the Pioneer, however, most sets (including the Pionneers) will only utilize Full mode when connected either by componet or DVI. This is pretty standard. This is also the desire for most of us to get the Pace.

For the analog based channels, I use a standard video input with the Natural mode setting. Still can't get the guide to work on this input though. Strange that the SA box did.....:confused:
post #299 of 498 Old 02-21-2004, 03:08 PM

I did the same thing, but in my case I have a Pro-1000HDi with an Aurora TVP-1000+ (scaler card). The card does all the switching and looks a bit better that the Pace's version.

-=≡£σu≡=-
post #300 of 498 Old 02-23-2004, 05:45 AM

Is anyone recording the WB via D-VHS? Please let me know: prontoglenn@aol.com
Closed Thread Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page