Central Florida Winter 2004 thread - Page 13 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #361 of 498 Old 03-05-2004, 12:12 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thess,

Wow that’s not bad considering you are not facing east and you have 30 feet of wire between the antenna and the TV.

I bet if you had a preamp right at the antenna, as well as maybe a slightly larger antenna (like a Channel Master Stealth), you might just get all the major channels. Its amazing what the error correction in the digital signals can do to compensate for an otherwise marginal signal.

Peter Shipp
ISF, HAA, SBCA, CEDIA Certified
ps@aecustom.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #362 of 498 Old 03-05-2004, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Its amazing what the error correction in the digital signals can do to compensate for an otherwise marginal signal.
I'm sitting here mesmerized, staring at some kids' program on the WB because I can't believe how great it looks. (I should mention this is my first 'nice' television, ever).

The WB signal claims to be slightly on the 'bad' side of Normal, and I've lost FOX entirely now, it's down in "Bad".

When you say 'preamp', could I get away with something like this instead?

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....oryId=cat08084

...or is that pretty much junk?

After the television purchase, I don't have a lot of cash to throw at an antenna solution right now. :)
post #363 of 498 Old 03-05-2004, 12:34 PM

DVI problems persist! I'm in Orlando, and have a brand new Pace 550 and a Samsung HLN5065W. Here's what I see:
1) Switch from comp to DVI => "Display not HDCP" message.
2) Switch BACK to comp => Still get message until reboot
3) Reattach DVI cable => Works until TV turned off/on, then same as 1)
4) Power cycle 550 w/ ONLY DVI cable and TV on => Works for several hours, even through TV power cycle. Then BLAM!
5) When DVI is working => HD good except DiscoveryHD has wide black bands on side 90% of the time (no other channel does this).
6) When DVI is working => channel switching causes annoying snow flash 2 or 3 seconds after the change.

Considering the number of people complaining about the Pace DVI problems, and the length of time these issues have been known, you'd guess that something would be done about it...??
post #364 of 498 Old 03-05-2004, 02:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Maybe not completely pointless. Many years ago I worked on one of these live news trucks and we had to microwave signals back to the station. Whenever we got downtown in the land of tall buildings we could never point the antenna at the station so we would aim 180 degrees opposite and bounce off the nearest tall building to reflect our signal. You could try to receive the stations reflected off of a nearby building. Just watch your signal strength meter while turning the antenna facing the building.

Another crazy method I read about from Mark Schubin who was in a high rise in New York was to place the antenna flat on the floor and then turn it watching the meter.

Visit the orlandodigital.tv website
Central Florida ISF Calibration

post #365 of 498 Old 03-06-2004, 12:01 PM

Liked: 14
I posted a question about VOOM before. The service looks good and the number of HD channels is outstanding with all the movie channels having HD. I have seen in other forums that installation can be tricky if an experienced installer is not doing it.

My questions are:

1. Who/what company does the VOOM installs in the Orlando area;

2. Can anyone who has gotten the service give a review of how the install went and;

3. Give an overall opinion on the service itself.

This looks too good to pass up if the install works. Just having HBO, MAX, Starz, TMC, Showtime, etc all in HD is worth the $$. Slowly getting tired waiting for DTV and BHN to add Starz, MAX, TMC, etc to the HD mix.

Thanks for any input.
post #366 of 498 Old 03-06-2004, 01:52 PM

Howdy.

Does anyone (Greg) know when BHN will have an FCC mandated Firewire box available? Thanks.
post #367 of 498 Old 03-06-2004, 02:34 PM

Voom Installation:

I have the service. Picture quality is excellent. All 1080i from VOOM. HBO, Showtime, Cinemax, TMC appear better to me. I have compared to BHN and DirecTV on the same set, one after the other.

Initial installation was a problem. Installer didn't care, had a bad attitude. However, VOOM CS has been outstanding and problems have been resolved. Unfortunately, Sears, the retailer, does not generally show VOOM well and seems to have a problem with VOOM sales. I suggest you order direct. They have different plans, including purchasing, leasing, etc. You need to make sure you get a good installer. I have a name. Send me a private email and I will share.
post #368 of 498 Old 03-06-2004, 06:06 PM

Update on Downtown Orlando apartment: Took the Silver Sensor back, got a Terk amplified antenna. Can now get all those Melbourne channels, UPN, and several PBS channels.

Still cannot get what I really want: WB, FOX, and CBS.
post #369 of 498 Old 03-06-2004, 06:58 PM

TopQuark....I agree with you. I *thought* the DVI problems had been resolved...but I am experiencing the same issues as you (I also have an HLN5065W and Pace 550). I have been looking for that "special" power-down and power-up sequence to make the two work without cable-plugging, but I can't seem to find anything that works consistently. Have you called Brighthouse? Did they say anything useful?
post #370 of 498 Old 03-06-2004, 07:47 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by thess
Update on Downtown Orlando apartment: Took the Silver Sensor back, got a Terk amplified antenna. Can now get all those Melbourne channels, UPN, and several PBS channels.

Where I live I can get the following local HDTV/DTV channels

Equipment:
19ft. Radio Shack Telescoping Mast
5 ft. Radio Shack antenna support pole
Radio Shack rotor
off brand deep fringe directional antenna found at Recoton Factory Outlet store in Lake Mary (now out of business for the 2nd time)
Radio Shack 36db pre-amp
Radio Shack RG6QS 100 ft. coax cable
Radio Shack 100 ft. 3 conductor rotor wire
RCA 25 RG6 25ft. coax cable
Hauppauge Computer Works WIN-TV D TV/HDTV/DTV/CATV card

Local Stations I can get all the time and can decode a picture

11-WESH-DT
14-WRDQ-DT
17-WKCF-DT
22-WOFL-DT
23-WMFE-DT
30-WBCC-DT
33-WCEU-DT
39-WFTV-DT
41-WRBW-DT
48-WOPX-DT
58-WKMG-DT

Local Stations I can receive but generally can't decode a picture

20-WOTF-DT

Local Stations I can't get at all

40-WACX-DT
46-WLCB-DT (not on air yet)
49-WVEN-DT
53-WTGL-DT (not on air yet)

Out of market regulars (results vary from all three categories based on tropospheric conditions, though I have not hit a good DX/tropo shot since Dec.-Jan. except for the Tampa stations)

7-WFLA-DT Tampa
12-WTVT-DT Tampa
19-WTEV-DT Jacksonville
31-WOGX-DT Ocala
42-WJXT-DT Jacksonville

James Westerfield
Lake Mary, FL
post #371 of 498 Old 03-06-2004, 09:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally posted by thess

The silver sensor is a much better antenna than the Terk. If you have to stay indoors meaning a large antenna is out of the question I would go with the Channel Master 3021

post #372 of 498 Old 03-07-2004, 08:17 AM

Quote:
The silver sensor is a much better antenna than the Terk.
Well, I'm mostly just experimenting; Best Buy had the Terk in an open-box for cheap (and yes, I did realize the implications of that).

But for what it's worth, the Terk picked up many more channels while still sitting on top of my television. The Silver Sensor only picked up one non-Melbourne station, and only if I ran it across the apartment.

I don't suppose the Channel Master line is sold in any B&M stores? As iffy as my situation is, I'm trying to avoid ordering anything online since it'll likely have to be shipped back. Thanks for the heads-up, though.
post #373 of 498 Old 03-07-2004, 08:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Perhaps one of the local dealers on this thread will let you try a 3021. I had one at a friends single story house in west orlando last year and while we were setting up I laid the antenna on the floor face down and it still picked up 3 stations.

post #374 of 498 Old 03-07-2004, 09:51 AM

Finally have the PACE box!!! It is hooked up through component. It is great but I have three questions.
1. Is the digital/optical out Always fixed level? Anyway to use the brighthouse remote to control the volume of the pace box?
2. Second, I don't get channels 7 or 8 (ABC & WB) doesn't really matter since I watch them on the high def channels.
3. I have a CRT 27 inch Samsung HDTV(1080i). 4x3 aspect ratio. Should I set the PACE box to 1080i or PASS?
Thanks in advance for your help.
post #375 of 498 Old 03-07-2004, 11:09 AM

Liked: 11
Hi Thess; if you are looking for a drop dead get all antenna , get the winegard ss 1000. I just ordered mine from warrenelectronics.com .It was the least expensive I could find ,only $ 20 over wholesale. The square shooter is only 16 x 16 x 4 ,so you can mount the little bugger anywhere,and it is non amplified so using a duplexer isn't a problem.Checkout the CES show report for more info,I've tried them all here in the downtown Orlando area and still only get CBS everyblue moon.I can't wait to get it,ordered it Friday.
post #376 of 498 Old 03-07-2004, 11:21 AM

Well, it's more than I'm willing to spend right now, but I'd be interested to hear how it works out for you.
post #377 of 498 Old 03-07-2004, 11:39 AM

I'll let you know. An interesting feature is that you can recieve bounced signals.So if you are on the south side of a building where all the towers are north. Aim south off a building behind you and catch it's bounce signal.It also works well with analog signals, just tilt it back to degrade it until it comes in. This thing has a swivel mount that takes it in all directions.
Enough said,I'll let you know if my $99 was well spent.
post #378 of 498 Old 03-07-2004, 11:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally posted by FL Surfer
Aim south off a building behind you and catch it's bounce signal.
What a novel idea. Where did you hear about this unusual technique? ;)

post #379 of 498 Old 03-07-2004, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by kishi23
Finally have the PACE box!!! It is hooked up through component. It is great but I have three questions.
1. Is the digital/optical out Always fixed level? Anyway to use the brighthouse remote to control the volume of the pace box?
2. Second, I don't get channels 7 or 8 (ABC & WB) doesn't really matter since I watch them on the high def channels.
3. I have a CRT 27 inch Samsung HDTV(1080i). 4x3 aspect ratio. Should I set the PACE box to 1080i or PASS?
Thanks in advance for your help.
I'll try to help you to some extent.
!. It seems to vary from channel to channel and on my set up (DVI to plasma audio/component to AV receiver (and video component on to plasma) the BHN remote does not control the audio (it did with the old SA box) as all the analogue sound transmission is (or should be) output on the digital circuit.
2. You should be getting them, I do. Call BHN.
3. I am not sure, I have a high tech switching card (that is also a line doubler) in the 16:9 plasma) that does the switching. I have the aspect ration set in the Pace to 4:3 and now use passthrough. Play around and see what happens. Whatever looks best is most likely the optimum set up for your system.
Hope that helps.

-=≡£σu≡=-
post #380 of 498 Old 03-07-2004, 06:56 PM

Check out the winegard pdf on the ss 1000
http://www.winegard.com/other/pressp...%20Release.pdf
post #381 of 498 Old 03-08-2004, 04:36 AM
Advanced Member

Anyone else having trouble with WESH and Drop outs over the air.?.It was practacally unwatchable last night..
post #382 of 498 Old 03-08-2004, 07:02 AM

it was that way on Brighthouse also
post #383 of 498 Old 03-08-2004, 07:05 AM

Liked: 12
You may remember that I am using one of the last remaining SA 2000HD boxes because Brighthouse couldn't get a 3100 box to work for me, i.e. produce the same ,or better, PQ than my 2000. Thanks to Greg, I was able to get my 2000 box back and have been using it successfullly ever since.

When I heard that the Pace boxes were available I called and asked for one. Bad news. The contract guy came out and installed the Pace box , and let me keep the SA2000HD box which I put in the bedroom. BUT there was a problem with the Pace.

There were blinking, spotted lines on top of the HD picture on many HD channels. Also, the picture was fuzzy with fine lines thoughout , like the "moire' (sp?) effect on tv pictures. Items in motion also blurred. The picture was a cross between an analog and a digital(non-HD) picture in quality except that it added some pixilation.

Called Brighthouse and they sent a regular tech who checked the signal (was OK), and swapped out for another Pace - same problems. I told the tech that the picture was nowhere near as clear as the 2000. I could tell that he didn't believe me. I also showed him a recording of some digital (non-HD) programs and he agreed that the recordings had a better picture than the HD PQ that was produced by the 2 Pace boxes, live. He probably thought I was just another unsatisfiable customer, and that he thought the picture was good with the Pace, but he finally asked if he could connect the 2000 back up, probably to shut me up.

When he did, the picture was perfect once again, without any of the problems even he saw with the Pace. He even told me that he didn't believe the difference he was seeing, it was the clearest he's seen and he's worked for Brighthouse (TWC) for 10 years. He said the 2000's picture quality was, in his words, "10 times as clear" with the 2000, (than the PAce)."

He apologized and said that maybe both Pace boxes were bad. He also said that 1st thing the next day he was going to advise his supervisor of the difference in the PQ between the two models.

Deja vu all over again. I'm back to the 2000 and even though I did like the features of the Pace- not having to throw a switch between regular and HDTV; the zoom feature, etc. - PQ is the most important feature for me. Greg and I talked and he was sending the problem to the engineers to see what they could come up with.

I can not even begin to guess why the newer HD boxes do not perform, for me, as good as my old SA2000HD box. I have a Sony KP61HS30 HD TV, use component cables direct from HD box to TV, I live in a condo, and I watch a lot of HDTV. I always have problems others don't have but no one can figure out why. Hopefully, Greg and Brighthouse can figure this one out.

Anyway, it's back to the future for me and my outstanding SA2000HD box. Don Schrum:confused:
post #384 of 498 Old 03-08-2004, 07:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Don - That has to be the best 2000HD box ever built. :) I had at least three different 2000HD boxes and they all pretty much s*cked compared to the 3100 and now the Pace box. I'm curious have you always had the Sony KP61HS30 as your display device? I'm beginning to wonder if it is some kind of weird symmetry between the two devices. Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't your Sony a fairly early HD model?

I used to be a condo beach dweller myself but had to buy a house to properly build my HT. :)
post #385 of 498 Old 03-08-2004, 07:46 AM

Liked: 12
Tom - It is a real mystery to me, and Greg at Brighthouse.

Don - That has to be the best 2000HD box ever built. :)

*******I agree. I may have given the best one ever built. My fear is that it will go bad one of these days.

I had at least three different 2000HD boxes and they all pretty much s*cked compared to the 3100 and now the Pace box. I'm curious have you always had the Sony KP61HS30 as your display device? I'm beginning to wonder if it is some kind of weird symmetry between the two devices. Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't your Sony a fairly early HD model?

**********It is 2-3 years old and has been great. Don
post #386 of 498 Old 03-08-2004, 08:01 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by samsterdog
Howdy.

Does anyone (Greg) know when BHN will have an FCC mandated Firewire box available? Thanks.
On April 1st, just like the FCC mandate says.

Just out of curiousity, how many people plan on requesting one? Why?

DVI Issues

The Pace box software is having known interface issues with the way Samsung implemented HDCP in the HLN series of televisions. (also the Sony 34AZXVR910). Fixes (actually "work-arounds", because its the Samsung's deviation from the specification at fault) were implemented in the next release of software, currently under test. It should be downloaded shortly.

Greg
post #387 of 498 Old 03-08-2004, 10:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally posted by Mike I
Anyone else having trouble with WESH and Drop outs over the air.?.It was practically unwatchable last night..
Yes, I have noticed the sporadic drops for almost a week now on WESH-DT. Last night the glitches were very annoying.

I have sent WESH an email.
post #388 of 498 Old 03-08-2004, 11:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally posted by gmclaughlin
On April 1st, just like the FCC mandate says.

Just out of curiosity, how many people plan on requesting one? Why?

If BHN has a HD PVR ready by April or May I don't see a big rush to firewire but if it is still a long way off then perhaps I would consider recording HD on tape or on my computer hard drive via firewire.

Is it legal for me to record HBO-HD on my hard drive via the firewire output of the BHN stb?

post #389 of 498 Old 03-08-2004, 11:34 AM
Advanced Member

DirecTV is releasing the HD DirecTivo in April. I (and probably many others) am on the fence between DirecTV and Brighthouse and could use any info about upcoming HD PVR offerings from Brighthouse.
Any update on the HD PVR would be greatly appreciated.
post #390 of 498 Old 03-08-2004, 01:31 PM

Okay well im pretty sure there is no way for my fusion 2 to record Showtime in hd or even get digital channels without loss in quility. Is there any way to get Showtime Hd on a tv tunner? Or getting the channels clear? I can't even get Channels like mtv and fuse to look close to tv shapness. Please help me out with this if you know
Closed Thread Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page