post #451 of 498 Old 03-21-2004, 05:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally posted by avNeophyte
This is one case where, personally, I strongly prefer quantity to quality. Nothing beats the ability to flip between 48 exciting games over 4 days. Sure, I wish we could get them all in uncompressed HDTV but that wasn't going to happen. But it was possible to get all 48 games (even though we didn't).

Then I guess you expected WKMG-DT to provide viewers with a free Mega March Madness package ($59 via DirecTV) via their OTA digital signal.

I am glad you at least say you wish we could get them all in uncompressed HDTV. Never gonna happen but it's the thought that counts!

At least we agree on that. :-)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #452 of 498 Old 03-21-2004, 05:21 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Then I guess you expected WKMG-DT to provide viewers with a free Mega March Madness package ($59 via DirecTV) via their OTA digital signal.
Actually, I didn't expect it but I did hope that they would do so after hearing that a lot of (well, maybe just some;) ) CBS stations were doing this. Apparently it was contractually permissible so there was no reason not too if they had the capability. Unless you wanted to watch the HD games in their nearly-uncompressed beauty!

Quote:
I am glad you at least say you wish we could get them all in uncompressed HDTV. Never gonna happen but it's the thought that counts!

At least we agree on that. :-)
I gotta disagree with you there. It certainly won't happen any time soon, certainly not soon enough, but I can certainly hope that it will happen in the next 10 to 15 years. :) Maybe if I get a C-Band dish?

Quote:
BTW: isn't it now officially spring 2004?
I can agree to that!

All in fun...
post #453 of 498 Old 03-22-2004, 05:39 AM

Location: Ormond Beach (Daytona Beach suburb, Orlando viewing area)
Quote:
Originally posted by Jigen1975
I live in Longwood and I have a question for anyone using the Pace box on Brighthouse. Is there an advantage to using the DVI output? Right now i'm using the component out and it looks very good, but i'm just wondering if I would gain anything other then an extra component input on my TV.

Thanks!
I also notice significant improvement using DVI over Pr/Pb/Y when connected to my LCD 1280X768.

I think that fixed pixel displays will show this more than CRT sets. With fixed pixel displays via DVI, everything stays digital. However, CRT's with DVI inputs won't show it as much. The set will have to reconvert the digital signal back to analog before the CRT's can display it.

So if you have a fixed pixel display (plasma, LCD, LCoS, or DLP), you will see a better picture with DVI. If you have a CRT set, DVI won't be much improvement over component connections, unless your wires pass through an electrically noisy environment.

JD
post #454 of 498 Old 03-22-2004, 05:43 AM

Location: Ormond Beach (Daytona Beach suburb, Orlando viewing area)
About the tournament. They may be multicasting the initial rounds because there are so many games.

WKMG dropped their radar sub-channel for the Florida/FSU football game, and for the Superbowl, so we should assume that they would do the same for the Final Four.

JD
post #455 of 498 Old 03-22-2004, 06:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Was there not people on this board demanding that WKMG multicast the games? Some even wanted them to jam more than 2 channels (1 SD & 1 HD) down the pipe. Well I guess all of the pro-multicast fans now know the effects multicasting has on video quality. Also as usual WKMG doesn't use what they have effectively. They could have put different games on the analog and digital channels.
Did anyone actually see any HD games as they were going to?? If no (I didn't see that one was broadcasted...) then no multicasting was happening and the bad picture was not due to this. In Raleigh they have broadcasted all games with good pq for the past four years.......

I don't understand how multicasting can be a problem on the video quality when it wasn't done...................
post #456 of 498 Old 03-22-2004, 06:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Did you try to get the game off the air or via cable? We did broadcast the games in HD and had different games on the HD channel. I understand that Brighthouse for some reason did not get the games out on cable. You may want to contact them and ask why.
Above is the answer from CBS here in Orlando - that answers my own question above since I was watching on Cable and there was multi-casting going on, but I couldn't benefit from the other games.

Greg - do you know what happened here??
post #457 of 498 Old 03-22-2004, 01:20 PM

yeh greg, why did I buy a $3500 tv to watch HD if it's not going to be available via cable? oh, and why am I paying BHN a monthly fee for delivering SD programming into my house if it's going to be over compressed and practically unwatchable?
post #458 of 498 Old 03-22-2004, 05:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Spriteman
yeh greg, why did I buy a $3500 tv to watch HD if it's not going to be available via cable? oh, and why am I paying BHN a monthly fee for delivering SD programming into my house if it's going to be over compressed and practically unwatchable?

Spriteman,

This is not a fair comment directed at Greg or BHN who have never denied you HD. They do not compress the signal so if it looks blocky to you then the broadcaster is at fault. Multi-casting is always a compromise between quality and quantity. You can cut up the data into many channels but the payload data rate is a fixed number . Content has a lot to do with how far you can push MPEG 2 before it shows obvious compression artifacts and basketball is one of the worst offenders with its constantly moving fullscreen images.

Some here are assuming that BHN has some special feed from the broadcaster that allows them direct access to the high bit-rate network signals. This is not the case. If the broadcaster splits their digital signal into 4 channels of 4mbps each for off air but only sends one sub channel to BHN that channel will still be compressed down to 4mbps because it is downstream of the broadcasters encoder. This is what makes multi-casting so hard to swallow because the cable viewer also suffers a reduced bit-rate not just the off air people who can actually see the multiple channels.

Visit the orlandodigital.tv website

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #459 of 498 Old 03-22-2004, 08:25 PM

Well I have a question on this multicasting issue and KMG vs BHN vs any other multicasting station. Why is it that KMG when they did their multicasting last week for NCAA had such a terrible looking 2nd channel?

I watch PBS all the time and watch their HD channel and their other 2 SD channels and they have allocated or I should say, done a better job at allocating their bandwidth. KMG seems to be missing the boat on this even at their most basic level with their "WEB ENABLED" 6.2 channel.

There is no reason that they can't deliver quality on the SD feed and HD on the primary feed. If other stations who are allocated exactly the same amount of spectrum by the FCC can do it, why can't KMG?

This is in my opinion the crux of the issue that everyone is complaining about. They have the technology, they're just not using it correctly.
post #460 of 498 Old 03-23-2004, 01:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Ok it seems like we are confusing two issues here and making Greg personaly responsible for something - both items are wrong.

I was simply asking if Greg knew what went wrong in delivering the HD feed that was provided by CBS here in the market - if it is contractual or what the reason is. I am also emailing BHN direct this afternoon asking the same. I appreciate all the info Greg gives as a bonus and when he doesn't have time / answers then I seek another an answer from somewhere else - he doesn't get paid to answer here and from reading the posts I am sure that he has stuck his neck out several times at no added benefit for himself.

Now the multicasting - my understanding after rereading the email is that the only multicasting that was done was one HD game and one SD game - is this correct OTA people? If that is the case then there should have been no picture problem whatsoever. Also the picture on my tv was like any other SD broadcast - no difference at all. Also as clearly stated BHN can only forward what is provided to them.

People in those markets that could see all four games seemed very happy with the picture except in a few exceptions so that was probably all local issues with not knowing how to do this properly
post #461 of 498 Old 03-23-2004, 08:01 PM

Some newbie questions:

I'm seriously considering dumping my DirecTV contract and switching to BHN now that I have a Zenith C32v37 television with built-in tuner.

Does anyone here have this television, and know whether a set-top box would be strictly required with BHN? It does have built-in QAM tuning.

Meanwhile, if I requested a DVI box and hooked it up to the television's DVI inputs, how could I then add a standalone Tivo into the mix? I've had DirecTV so long I have no idea what cable set-top-boxes do these days. Part of the reason I've been dragging my feet on getting away from DirecTV is we have two TiVo integrated tuners... We *have* to replace at least one of them if we go this route and I would want actual TiVo functionality. Will the STB do multiple outputs at once, i.e., DVI to the television for watching HD channels live, and S-Video or something to the standalone TiVo for recording? What other solutions do I have?

Thanks in advance. Again, total newbie here with the HDTV and the digital cable stuff. Only thing I know backwards and forwards is TiVo. :)
post #462 of 498 Old 03-23-2004, 08:15 PM

You will need an Brighthouse box. You will probably want two STB's a SA 8000 DVR to replace the TIVO this will use the SVHS input and handle all SD channels. Then you will want either the PACE or SA3250 for DVI input of HD signals. The tuner in your set and in the TIVO will only work on the analog channels, up to about 30, the rest of the channels are digital and use a modulation different from broadcast tv.

Some time this year a new STB will be available from BH that will do DVR for SD and HD channels and will allow you to go to one box for all functions. BH charges about $7 per month for each additional box. This is a steal as they have been upgrading their STB every 6 to 12 mo and you can call in and swap for an upgrade free.

Rudy

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #463 of 498 Old 03-24-2004, 06:42 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by RudyT
You will need an Brighthouse box. You will probably want two STB's a SA 8000 DVR to replace the TIVO this will use the SVHS input and handle all SD channels. Then you will want either the PACE or SA3250 for DVI input of HD signals. The tuner in your set and in the TIVO will only work on the analog channels, up to about 30, the rest of the channels are digital and use a modulation different from broadcast tv.

Some time this year a new STB will be available from BH that will do DVR for SD and HD channels and will allow you to go to one box for all functions. BH charges about $7 per month for each additional box. This is a steal as they have been upgrading their STB every 6 to 12 mo and you can call in and swap for an upgrade free.
Thanks for the response, but let me clarify a bit:

1) I want an actual branded TiVo... I've been living with them for too long and have heard too many things about the cable company PVRs locking up, spontaneously rebooting, that sort of thing. I want my 30-second skip and all the bells and whistles. So it would be a standalone box with composite and S-video inputs. I do understand that it would record SD only. (I might try the HDPVRs in the future, but they sound like they're a ways off yet).

2) My television (Zenith C32V37) *does* have a built-in tuner that is capable of tuning both OTA and QAM (I think this is the right terminolgy?) High-Def channels internally. I've read a bunch of anecdotal info about people hooking their cable straight from the wall to this television, running the scan, and finding a ton of DTV channels they didn't even know they had. What I'm not clear on is if it will tune *everything*, such as if I got a premium package (which I'm not sure I will). Perhaps this would be better asked in the display forum.

But given these things, can anyone suggest a configuration? I think I am going to call BHN later today and ask what sort of deal they can offer if I cancel my Satellite service. I guess the bottom line is: Does the PACE or SA HD receiver from BHN have a secondary output of any kind that could go to a standalone Tivo?
post #464 of 498 Old 03-24-2004, 08:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
My television (Zenith C32V37) *does* have a built-in tuner that is capable of tuning both OTA and QAM (I think this is the right terminolgy?) High-Def channels internally. I've read a bunch of anecdotal info about people hooking their cable straight from the wall to this television, running the scan, and finding a ton of DTV channels they didn't even know they had. What I'm not clear on is if it will tune *everything*, such as if I got a premium package (which I'm not sure I will). Perhaps this would be better asked in the display forum.
My understanding is that BHN has all the HD channels as to be activated specifically for a person even if you have digital and therefore you wouldn't be able to get them - someone please correct me if I am wrong. However, you switching from satelitte could give you some great exceptions. Also where you planning on getting the digital package? then you would get several HD channels free - remember they will not charge you for the HD-STB if you get the digital package
post #465 of 498 Old 03-24-2004, 08:27 AM

Liked: 12
thess - Hope I understand you. I think the easiest, and best way to connect your TiVo (I have one also - 279 hrs capable) is to run an S-Video wire from the cable box to the Tivo in. Since it's only SD anyways this is the best way. Of course, as you already know, putting TiVo in between the cable box and the TV results in some degradation of the picture quality. You use component wires to connect the cable box directly to your TV.
post #466 of 498 Old 03-24-2004, 08:32 AM

Here's the specific information you need:

1) Using an actual branded Tivo: Yes, you can do that. The Pace 550HD has numerous outputs, including DVI, component, composite, and S-video, plus it has pass-throughs for Component and composite. See the picture of the rear panel at this link: http://www.pacemicro.com/products/ma...DC550_spec.pdf

I do know this works because I have an actual Tivo running in our lab. It's a bit clunky though. Essentially the cable comes into the set top, then runs Svideo or composite to the Tivo, then from the Tivo via Svideo or composite to the TV. The Tivo uses a "remote IR transmitter" to tune the set top to the appropriate channel.

The problem is that it only can tune to one channel at a time, so any multi-recording capability features of the TIVO are useless.

The QAM decoder in your TV won't help, the Tivo can't record QAM, and it has to be upstream of your set.

Given that, I'd suggest you at least try one of the S/A8000 DVR's we offer. The beauty of the product is that it's fully integrated into one box, so there are no IR blasters, it can record on two channels and play a recorded program simultaneously. The Passport software driving the DVR has some features Pioneer licensed from TIVO. Other areas, including Bright House Tampa, are running a different application, which has lesser capability and may be driving some of the comments you've read. Plus, you lease it, and if you don't like it, you can always get the Tivo.

Like I said, we've got one running in the lab, and the integrated program is head and shoulders above the standalone Tivo. Plus, we don't spy on your viewing habits -- Tivo does.

2) QAM decoder in the set -- This will function only for unencrypted channels, and our digital channels are all encrypted. Hooking cable into the back of the set will only give you access to the analog channels (~2-98). People in other cable operations have had some luck with doing so based on the encryption capability and policy of the local operator.

As "Digital Cable Ready" sets deploy this summer, you will be able to get a CableCARD from us that will enable these sets to decrypt Digital Cable programming. But they're just hitting the market.

I hope that answers the questions -- call one of our reps and ask for a satellite winback offer and we'll see what we can arrange. Or PM me back with your location and phone number and I'll have one of our folks call you.

Greg
post #467 of 498 Old 03-24-2004, 09:14 AM

The CBS B-Ball issue:

I've been looking at these posts for a couple days now, and I'm not certain I really understand what the question is. Yes, the broadcast did have some blocking, but I suspect that was in CBS's national feed because I'm seeing reports of it in the "HD Programming" threads from markets across the country.

With regard to multicasting multiple games vs. an HD feed and an SD, that is purely the network, and to some extent the local station's choice within their contractual rights. I will say that we technologically cannot just "open the pipe" and enable KMG to reconfigure their signal from one HD feed to four SD feeds at whim. The streams take time to set up, establish and test. "Shifting on the fly" isn't feasible yet.

I'm don't really think this is a BHN issue, but maybe I don't understand the question being asked. I'm happy to reengage if you want to discuss it.

Greg
post #468 of 498 Old 03-24-2004, 12:14 PM

Greg--thanks so much for your response.

Quote:
I do know this works because I have an actual Tivo running in our lab. It's a bit clunky though. Essentially the cable comes into the set top, then runs Svideo or composite to the Tivo, then from the Tivo via Svideo or composite to the TV. The Tivo uses a "remote IR transmitter" to tune the set top to the appropriate channel.
Ok. I've used standalone TiVos before, so I'm familiar with the clunky tuning aspect. What I'm confused on though is... Would this setup allow me to view HD programming? Don't we lose that if the STB is going through the TiVo before being passed to the television?

Basically, I have two goals for one television:

1) Be able to watch HD programming (mostly primetime network shows). I understand I would not be able to record it.

2) Be able to record SD shows, preferably on a standalone TiVo unit.

For example, if I'm around on a Wednesday night, I can watch Smallville live in HD. If I'm not, the TiVo or other PVR catches it and I can watch it in SD.

Does this make sense? (Again, newbie.)

Quote:
The QAM decoder in your TV won't help, the Tivo can't record QAM, and it has to be upstream of your set.
Sorry, this was just me being unclear. I should have phrased it as a separate question (I was wondering if I needed a BHN set top box at all, leaving the TiVo stuff out of the equation.)

Quote:
Given that, I'd suggest you at least try one of the S/A8000 DVR's we offer. The beauty of the product is that it's fully integrated into one box, so there are no IR blasters, it can record on two channels and play a recorded program simultaneously. The Passport software driving the DVR has some features Pioneer licensed from TIVO. Other areas, including Bright House Tampa, are running a different application, which has lesser capability and may be driving some of the comments you've read. Plus, you lease it, and if you don't like it, you can always get the Tivo.
Well, I saw one at one of your mall displays today and they didn't seem as bad as I'd feared, so I was thinking I'd get one for the bedroom (non-high-def) television.

But in the living room (HD), how would that work? Even if I got one of your DVRs, wouldn't I still need a separate HD box too?

Sorry if I'm making this more complicated than it needs to be, I'm sure this has to be a pretty common configuration. (i.e., ability to watch High Def but record SD to DVR on the same display.)

Quote:
People in other cable operations have had some luck with doing so based on the encryption capability and policy of the local operator.
(Re: QAM encryption and HD tuning sets) Noted, thanks.

I'm aware of some of the satellite "winback" offers, and that along with my incredibly bad positioning for OTA signals is what is egging me towards cable... Basically I got a taste of my favorite shows in high-def with a temporary antenna solution, and now I'm hooked. The only thing holding me back is my TiVo addiction.

Thanks again.
post #469 of 498 Old 03-25-2004, 08:30 AM

Quote:
Don't we lose that if the STB is going through the TiVo before being passed to the television?
If we ran all the signal outputs through the TiVo -- yes. But we'd run the component or DVI outputs (the HD outputs) straight from the set-top to the TV, and run the SVideo and/or composite inputs through the TiVo, then to the TV. You'd just have to swap inputs on the TV with your remote depending on what you wanted to watch.

Quote:
But in the living room (HD), how would that work? Even if I got one of your DVRs, wouldn't I still need a separate HD box too?
Ah...the holy grail...anybody here ever consider putting a Bright House Networks DVR and an HD box on the same TV? ;) I'm joking because, lacking an HD-capable DVR, we have a number of customers (including readers of this forum) doing exactly that. The solution is an HD-capable DVR, which we hope to deploy shortly. It's in testing now, but should be on the street in the next month-two months, depending on how testing goes. That would greatly simplify your situation.

My final comment on the DVR -- I love mine. You'd have to shoot me to get me to give it up. My only fear is that my kids figure out how to do series recording, and I come home to a hard drive full of "Jimmy Neutron". I understand your addiction.

Greg
post #470 of 498 Old 03-25-2004, 08:43 AM

Greg,

Hope the new HD DVR box has a DVI output, or we'll be back to square one having to use the Pace box for DVI and the HD DVR for recording?? Oh the irony of it all!!

Thanks!
Jim
post #471 of 498 Old 03-25-2004, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by gmclaughlin
If we ran all the signal outputs through the TiVo -- yes. But we'd run the component or DVI outputs (the HD outputs) straight from the set-top to the TV, and run the SVideo and/or composite inputs through the TiVo, then to the TV. You'd just have to swap inputs on the TV with your remote depending on what you wanted to watch.

Ok, this makes perfect sense to me.

Quote:
My final comment on the DVR -- I love mine. You'd have to shoot me to get me to give it up. My only fear is that my kids figure out how to do series recording, and I come home to a hard drive full of "Jimmy Neutron". I understand your addiction.
I literally didn't watch television for ten years until TiVo came out. :)

Thanks again for all your help.
post #472 of 498 Old 03-25-2004, 11:31 AM

I love my BH DVR, except for when it resets or gets something hung up and doesn't record scheduled programs. I have to unplug it to reset it. Most of the time it works just fine though. I don't have a home phone, so Tivo wouldn't work for me. I do want to get one of those RF transmitters so I can watch it on other TV's in the house though. That's the main disadvantage to it vs. videotape.
post #473 of 498 Old 03-25-2004, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by gmclaughlin

Ah...the holy grail...anybody here ever consider putting a Bright House Networks DVR and an HD box on the same TV? ;) I'm joking because, lacking an HD-capable DVR, we have a number of customers (including readers of this forum) doing exactly that. The solution is an HD-capable DVR, which we hope to deploy shortly. It's in testing now, but should be on the street in the next month-two months, depending on how testing goes. That would greatly simplify your situation.

Wow I hope it is deployed in 2 months that would be fantastic! Do you know who the manufacturer is of this new HD DVR or model number?

Thanks!
post #474 of 498 Old 03-25-2004, 06:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Anyone want to get an Central Florida AVS Group together?

Meet once a month, with Pizza and Beer or something?
post #475 of 498 Old 03-25-2004, 07:08 PM

Been done PM Barry928.

or check

http://www.orlandodigital.tv/CFLHDS.htm

Rudy

post #476 of 498 Old 03-25-2004, 07:14 PM

SA 8000 HD has DVI this is the DVR box BH is evaluating for HD use. A better question is whether or not the 1394 will be enabled.

Rudy

post #477 of 498 Old 03-26-2004, 05:16 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by RudyT
SA 8000 HD has DVI this is the DVR box BH is evaluating for HD use. A better question is whether or not the 1394 will be enabled.
Let's hope for 1394!
post #478 of 498 Old 03-26-2004, 12:17 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Since my STB does not have an OTA signal strength meter , I finally got around to taking some readings using a spectrum analyzer and tweaking my antenna position for maximum signal strength.

Setup:
HP8568A spectrum analyzer (internal calibration routines run)
RS VU-170 Antenna with Channel Master 7777 pre-amp @ ~30ft
50 ft RG6 coax from ant to preamp. Another 30 ft after the preamp so I can reach the SA (it weights 110 lb so its not portable :) )

WCKF-DT -56 dBm
WESH-DT -62 dBm
WKMG-DT -60 dBm
WFTV-DT -49 dBm
WMFE-DT -70 dBm
WRDQ-DT -51 dBm
WRBW-DT -56 dBm
WBCC-DT -54 dBm
WCEU-DT -53 dBm
WOFL-DT -60 dBm

Signals bounce around a bit so the readings are +/- 3dBm

for comparision...

WFTV-TV -33dBm/-43dbm (one I think is the color the other is the audio, can't remember which is which)
post #479 of 498 Old 03-26-2004, 07:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Basketball:

This is BS from start to finish. I just called WKMG and asked them why the game is not in HD. They told me it is on 6.2 not on 6.1 which is what BHN is broadcasting. How come the CBS station spent tons of money on this and BHN spent tons of money on this and they can't agree on providing the viewers with the product. I am pissed about this, but without additional information I have to belive that this is completely WKMG's fault. BHN carries the HD channel every day from WKMG and just beacuse they feal like broadcasting the games on another channel BHN shouldn't have to scramble. Either way I can't belive that the largest promotional opportunity for HDTV is just screwed up like this especially since BHN has on their webpage - "Watch college basketball in HD ".......

Greg not blaming you, but I still can't belive you didn't agree on something prior to tonight and last week
post #480 of 498 Old 03-26-2004, 08:14 PM

Well said...this is a real bummer. I was really psyched to watch these games in HD.
Closed Thread Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page