AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Central Florida Winter 2004 thread

49K views 497 replies 83 participants last post by  avNeophyte 
#1 ·
Central Florida Winter 2004 thread

Welcome to the new Central Florida Winter 2003 thread!

The new season is set to begin and that means more HD!!!Several new HD channels are in the offering and more to come this year. Hopefully the cable and satellite services will be able to deliver them to us.

Link back to the old Central Florida Fall 2003 thread for reference:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...hreadid=299580

WMFE-DT 23 is finally on the air in Nov, leaving WRDQ-DT as the only missing station.

Here is a list of contacts for many local stations you may want to contact if the station is experiencing technical problems or your STB is encountering problems with their signal.

Orlando station's emails:

WESH: Richard.Monn@Hearst.com

WKCF: addalia@wb18.com

WFTV/WRDQ: john.demshock@wftv.com

WKMG: techquestions@local6.com

WCEU: bill_schwartz@wceu.pbs.org

WOFL/WRBW: Unlisted

WMFE: mike_simmons@wmfe.pbs.org

WOPX: Unknown

WBCC: padgetta@brevardcc.edu

WVEN/WOTF: aguernica@entravision.com (GM)

For more info about HD and DTV reception visit the following sites:

www.orlandodigital.tv has more information on HD programming availability, HD news, links to equipment manufacturers, weekly HDTV listings and links to earlier Central Florida AVS threads. Sign up @ the website to get notifications for Central Florida HD Society events.

www.antennaweb.org has information you might find helpful for setting up your OTA antenna and recommendations on antenna requirements.

Be sure to check out the AVS forum's ( http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/foru...hp?s=&forumid=6 ) programming, hardware and recording threads.

See less See more
#402 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by NewtoHD
It worked...got my Pace box set up yesterday and am already pleased with the features....now can't wait to see what kind of games and work arounds we'll have to play when BHN offers an HD DVR box!!!

Just curious why if you have 16:9 display, that the Pace would be set to 4:3? Anybody have any other tips for optimal settings on the Pace box? I currently have mine set for PASS through and 16:9 aspect ratio for my Toshiba 57H82. Also, I'm using the same digital coax for my audio because that was the only option with my SA box...would I be better off switching to the digital optical out, or would there not be a noticable difference?

Thank you all!
Its set to 4:3 because SD transmission is 4:3 if you set it to 16:9 it will stretch and (at least on my set up) exhibit extreme overscan. Again every set up is different, so you have to play with the settings (BTW I have the stretch enabled via the switcher card no overscan that way).

#403 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by LouK
Its set to 4:3 because SD transmission is 4:3 if you set it to 16:9 it will stretch and (at least on my set up) exhibit extreme overscan. Again every set up is different, so you have to play with the settings (BTW I have the stretch enabled via the switcher card no overscan that way).

I have my Pace box set to 16:9 and nothing 4:3 is stretched unless I tell it to. It probably has to do with how your TV handles the signal?

#404 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by RobHT
DirecTV is releasing the HD DirecTivo in April. I (and probably many others) am on the fence between DirecTV and Brighthouse and could use any info about upcoming HD PVR offerings from Brighthouse.

Any update on the HD PVR would be greatly appreciated.
That would depend on if it has a built in OTA ATSC tuner, or can except an HD feed from one. DirecTV does not off local channels in HD. (Although in some markets you can get their HD feed of CBS LA or New York.)

#405 ·
I have the stretch enabled via the switcher card no overscan that way).

Sorry... but what do you mean by "switcher card."

I have a 4:3 TV, and use component video cables. (I do not have a DVI input). I notice the overscan on Starz and a few movie channels.

#407 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by dgmayor
I have my Pace box set to 16:9 and nothing 4:3 is stretched unless I tell it to. It probably has to do with how your TV handles the signal?
Exactly my point... each set up will be different and you have to play with all the settings until it works correctly for your system.

#408 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by twartacus
I have the stretch enabled via the switcher card no overscan that way).

Sorry... but what do you mean by "switcher card."

I have a 4:3 TV, and use component video cables. (I do not have a DVI input). I notice the overscan on Starz and a few movie channels.
I have a Pioneer Elite PRO1000HDi with an Aurora TVP1000+ card installed. That card does both the switching (mode 480i, 480p, etc. as the incoming signal changes) and line doubling. The Pios are one of the few that have up gradable edge cards (I am using a third party card rather than the supplied card from Pioneer), so that it will not become obsolete (the screen did not come with DVI and that is one of the things that the PVP1000+ provides, thus the upgradability factor). The card allows me to adjust the overscan and a number of other factors as well, making it much more versatile than the standard supplied card. I hope this makes sense to you.

#409 ·
Quote:
Problem being, the unsightly black coax was quite visible from the street, dangling from the roof of the building down into my balcony. So we're trying to figure out what to do next. Attemps to sneak out onto the roof itself were unsuccessful.
paint to match....:)

#410 ·
Quote:
I have a Pioneer Elite PRO1000HDi with an Aurora TVP1000+ card installed. That card does both the switching (mode 480i, 480p, etc. as the incoming signal changes) and line doubling. The Pios are one of the few that have up gradable edge cards (I am using a third party card rather than the supplied card from Pioneer), so that it will not become obsolete (the screen did not come with DVI and that is one of the things that the PVP1000+ provides, thus the upgradability factor). The card allows me to adjust the overscan and a number of other factors as well, making it much more versatile than the standard supplied card. I hope this makes sense to you.
At the risk of sounding foolish...

The TV has an "edge card"... or is there something you have that goes between the HD box and the tv? I have a 53" 4:3 Sony HDTV... about 1-1/2 old. I have never even heard of an edge card, so I am wondering if this is a device used by the TV or another device?

Thanks!

#412 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by twartacus
At the risk of sounding foolish...

The TV has an "edge card"... or is there something you have that goes between the HD box and the tv? I have a 53" 4:3 Sony HDTV... about 1-1/2 old. I have never even heard of an edge card, so I am wondering if this is a device used by the TV or another device?

Thanks!
Its an internal card similar (but a different shape) to what you might put into your PC. I used the term "edge card" because my background was in computers (originally Mainframe where those devices are called edge cards, they have connector points on one edge of the card and are pushed into place before being screwed into place). The Pioneer Plasmas have a card that either comes with the unit (the Elites) or has to be ordered separately (the commercial units). This is the card that I replaced. It is unique to Pioneer (and some of the re-bodied versions like Hitachi) and only works internally in those units.

#413 ·
Quote:
Its an internal card similar (but a different shape) to what you might put into your PC. I used the term "edge card" because my background was in computers (originally Mainframe where those devices are called edge cards, they have connector points on one edge of the card and are pushed into place before being screwed into place). The Pioneer Plasmas have a card that either comes with the unit (the Elites) or has to be ordered separately (the commercial units). This is the card that I replaced. It is unique to Pioneer (and some of the re-bodied versions like Hitachi) and only works internally in those units.
OK... thanks :)

#414 ·
quote:

Anybody know if there is anyway to upgrade a Toshiba 57H82 with a DVI interface?

Call Toshiba at 1-800-631-3811. They will offer you an "DVI upgrade" for $399 where they pickup your 57H82 and deliver a brand new 57H83 with a DVI port. This is to make up for the fact that they never manufactured the promised DVI upgrade kit.

#415 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by plbarton
quote:

Anybody know if there is anyway to upgrade a Toshiba 57H82 with a DVI interface?

Call Toshiba at 1-800-631-3811. They will offer you an "DVI upgrade" for $399 where they pickup your 57H82 and deliver a brand new 57H83 with a DVI port. This is to make up for the fact that they never manufactured the promised DVI upgrade kit.
That sounds like a pretty good deal. I'd do it if I had a Toshiba.

#417 ·
Quote:

DVI Issues

The Pace box software is having known interface issues with the way Samsung implemented HDCP in the HLN series of televisions. (also the Sony 34AZXVR910). Fixes (actually "work-arounds", because its the Samsung's deviation from the specification at fault) were implemented in the next release of software, currently under test. It should be downloaded shortly. [/b]
Greg...do you know if the download has occured yet? When the DVI *is* working between the Pace and HLN, the PQ is pretty amazing. The inconsistency of the HDCP connection, though is driving me crazy!

TIA.

#418 ·
Wow...I take a couple of weeks off from checking the forum to see if there is any other news on BHN loosening the belt on the Pace Boxes (see previous posts for a sad journal of my personal hell), and when I come back I see that others have tacked the "DVI-only" obstacle with an approach I hadn't considered...simply lying to BH! They just believe you and bring the box on out!!

I've got to say, even though I don't think I'll call them and say I have a DVI input just to get a box, part of me rejoices in this small victory enjoyed by Twartacus and NewtoHD in a "stick-it-to-the-man" sort of way...

I imagine I'm going to want to get one of the HD-PVRs (hopefully in just a few months...right BH?!?!?) and so it's a little easier to go without a Pace box for now...

#420 ·
For those having DVI issues, a new download will be pushed out sometime in the early morning of 17 March (Wednesday). Pace boxes should automatically reboot, and everything should work.

I'd expect the process should take about 4 minutes.

#421 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by gmclaughlin
For those having DVI issues, a new download will be pushed out sometime in the early morning of 17 March (Wednesday). Pace boxes should automatically reboot, and everything should work.

I'd expect the process should take about 4 minutes.
Thanks for the feedback, Greg. That's great news. I tell you, the Pace box feeding my HLN thru the DVI port produces a jaw-dropping picture!

#423 ·
Quote:
Interesting - I think I was one of the first to get this upgrade and only after I threatened Toshiba with taking the legal route - I got the updgraded tv completely free - delivery and all. Then for a while they charged a few people here (I put a post out) for delivery only which was like $200 - now they figured out they don't want to loose money :)

They told me that if they would have figured out how to technically do the upgrade they had no clue of how to implement this so they just gave up on the whole idea - wonder if you couldn't wait another 6-8 months then call them and get next years model - hey if you are going to pay for it get the most out of it........

#424 ·
Samsterdog...

Sorry. Must have missed your question. As far as I know, it will drive your TV or D-VHS, but 5C encryption will be required (no choice on our part -- FCC regulation).

The lesson I've learned with the DVI issue is that until I see it in my hands, actually working on multiple brands of sets, I'm going to remain skeptical. So no promises until we know.

#426 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by gmclaughlin
Samsterdog...

Sorry. Must have missed your question. As far as I know, it will drive your TV or D-VHS, but 5C encryption will be required (no choice on our part -- FCC regulation).
No worries. I appreciate your response.

I believe my NetCommand capable TV is specifically designed to work with 1394 devices, even with 5C copy protection. If this works, I'll be psyched. I thought my lack of DVI would have obsoleted my TV. As a result of cable having this firewire capability, and satellite not, and the fact that you guys provide a good array of HD content, you have probably continued to have me as a customer for the foreseeable future.

Couple of questions, if I may:

When will the boxes be ready?

How to I get one?

What, if any, will be the cost to switch out?

Thanks again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.