Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally posted by e vey
[B
--I think it is unreasonable to expect digital cable to cost the same.--

Why? Because it is new? We already covered the cost of running the cable and the box. If you want to do this on a cost + basis, you better get some numbers. Oops. No numbers to be had, secret company info. Oh, well.
[/b]
I agree with a lot of your points but have to take issue with the above. BHN can get a premium for digital not because it is new but because it is an improved product. No one is forcing anyone to "upgrade" to digital from analog, at least not yet. Digital is an improvement and therefore commands a premium. I still don't think it is unreasonable to have to pay more for a stunning HDTV picture then a crappy analog picture.

It sounds like you would rather have the cable industry tightly regulated, but in the long run I think the capitalist privatized system will work. :) The fact of the matter is BHN as a privatized company can charge whatever they want and we as consumers can choose not to buy it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 498 Old 01-21-2004, 10:34 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
It sounds like you would rather have the cable industry tightly regulated, but in the long run I think the capitalist privatized system will work. The fact of the matter is BHN as a privatized company can charge whatever they want and we as consumers can choose not to buy it.
Very well put.
post #93 of 498 Old 01-21-2004, 10:59 AM
AVS Special Member

--It sounds like you would rather have the cable industry tightly regulated--

Not so much tightly regulated, but more transparent. In the case where there is competition, secrecy is essential to compete. But there is no other competition with cable except satellite.

If the cable company loses out to satellite, then they have no one to blame, but themselves. If they don't listen to their customers and make up less costly packages, or ala carte as their customers ask for to get the price down, then when Dish comes in and undercuts them, who can they blame?

In this case, the secrecy is being used against the customers, not against competitors or even potential competitors.

And who said anything about HDTV? Not me. All I said was "digital" and that is what the FCC mandate says. There are lots of different digital formats besides HDTV. There really isn't much of an improvement between good analog and SD digital if the analog signal is decent. People that say there is had an awful analog signal to begin with.

And there is no "stunning" HDTV on a standard NTSC set or even a smallish ATSC set. People that buy the "basic service" aren't using 54" Plasmas.

I think it is a good idea to require the cable companies to offer rock bottom priced local stations only service. Not everyone has access to decent antenna reception.

All I am saying is that now that the transition is more than underway, rules need to catch up.
post #94 of 498 Old 01-21-2004, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Now, even more HD for your HDTV! Bright House Networks is pleased to announce the addition of HDNet and HDNet Movies to our High Definition Pak, effective January 27, 2004.

HDNet, found on channel 1302, is the first all high definition national television network! HDNet features a variety of HDTV programming, everything from sports to sitcoms and the popular HDNet World Report, which means that there's something for everyone, all in spectacular 1080i HDTV!

HDNet Movies, channel 1303, is a network that delivers you titles from an extensive library of full-length feature films that have been converted from 35mm to high definition. HDNet Movies features a wide variety of theater-release and made-for-TV movies, as well as independent films and shorts.

For High Definition Pak subscribers, HDNet and HDNet Movies join INHD (channel 1300) and INHD2 (channel 1301) which feature a comprehensive mix of HD programming, including commercial-free hit movies, sports, family programming and special events. Our High Definition PAK gives HD subscribers all four great channels for only $6.00 more per month!

Bright House Networks continues to provide access to the most High Definition channels in Florida, with no additional equipment to buy. With the addition of HDNet and HDNet Movies to our High Definition PAK, we will provide 14 HD channels! If you have questions about these new channels, or would like to order Bright House Networks HD service, call 1-877-833-4671 to speak with a Customer Care Representative.
Just got this in my email alert, just in case anyone here didn't know about it.

Regards,

Fred Forlano
post #95 of 498 Old 01-21-2004, 01:35 PM

January 27th is on my calendar to try out these two new channels. Thanks BHN.
post #96 of 498 Old 01-21-2004, 03:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 16
New info on Fox HD upgrade released today.

The new FOX 720p HD affiliate equipment will use bit splicing technology early next fall to allow DD 5.1 passthrough on network programming without the need for each affiliate to individually purchase Dolby Digital equipment.

Essentially, FOX Network engineering has made it as foolproof as possible for stations to pass through network 720p HD and DD 5.1.

All affiliates should originate local upconversion programming in 720p to accommodate a clean bit splice otherwise the viewer's ATSC receiver will choke when switching between network originated and local originated sources.

Official info below:

FOX Splicing system highlights

FOX has decided to supply its DTV affiliates with an HDTV MPEG Splicer System for the HD feed starting next September.

Splicing is a new form of video switching. The Splicer substitutes for the traditional video switcher in Master Control when switching (“splicingâ€) between MPEG streams of audio and video. The FOX Splicer System will also include a logo inserter capable of HD branding during non-Network time as well as Network time.

Splicing between MPEG streams, rather than the traditional switching of digital video, especially in the HD environment, will save significant capital monies and bandwidth for Stations and the Network.

Here are some highlights of the FOX Splicer System:

1. FOX will provide, install and maintain the Splicer at its cost as it does for the existing satellite equipment.

2. Stations are always in direct, positive control of what goes on their air.

3. Minimizes cost of HD conversion of Station’s Master Control.

4. More cost effective when the Station’s satellite dish is remote from its Master Control.

5. Delayed broadcast HD equipment becomes very cost effective.

6. Without any further capital expenditure Stations will be able to broadcast Network Dolby Digital.

7. Local and Network branding of HD stream included within Splicer.

8. Network branding will be customized for each affiliate.

9. Bandwidth is preserved for other applications.

10. FOX will continue Mountain Time Zone feed.

Guide to Fox Splicing System

Introduction

Today, FOX announces that it will deploy the FOX Splicer System to affiliated Stations in order that they can pass FOX in HD on to viewers. This deployment will begin in March in anticipation of a September start for HD on FOX.

The FOX Splicer System will allow a Station to "splice" between FOX's 720p feed delivered via the Wegner receiver and its own, local, 720p ATSC encoder.

The System will also include a logo inserter that will be capable of branding during Station, as well as Network time.

The System will accommodate secondary programs and data transmissions. And since the Network's feed will be "ATSC Broadcast ready" all shows produced in Dolby Digital will be enjoyed by viewers without the need for Stations to purchase Dolby 5.1 encoders.

Overview

The Splicer within the System has the capability of inserting logos over the output stream without requiring the decoding of the 720p MPEG stream back to baseband (HD-SDI). The Splicer will be under local station control via a general purpose interface (GPI). In addition to switching and logo insertion, the FOX Splicer System will ensure that the Program System Information Protocol (PSIP) is correct and allows for secondary programs to be transmitted.

Fox will begin the rollout of equipment to the affiliate stations starting in March 2004. Fox has contracted with Thomson/Grass Valley to provide all wiring, installation and checkout of the network equipment. The equipment being supplied will be assembled and tested at their Nevada City location prior to shipping to Stations.

Beginning in August 2004, FOX will begin 720p transmissions alongside the normal Fox Widescreen transmissions during Prime Time. During this period, stations will transition from FOX Widescreen to HD on FOX using the System.

For DTV Stations that have not had their Splicer System installed, checked out, or their DTV facilities fully commissioned FOX will continue to deliver all it's Prime Time programming in both FOX Widescreen (480p) as well as HD (720p). FOX will continue delivering sports programming in FOX Widescreen.

What Station will need to do to prepare for installation:

The FOX Splicer System is designed to fit into the bottom (8) rack units of the FOX Network Digital Satellite System equipment enclosure. If the Station has installed its own equipment in that space, we request that you relocate this prior to installation of the Splicer System. The Station will need to provide access to a standard analog telephone line in order to be able to setup and diagnose any problems with the Splicer System. This telephone line can be shared with the existing FOX Network Digital Satellite System.

Standard video/ASI and control cables will be needed to interface to the FOX Splicer System. A one line drawing and more detailed System description will be forthcoming.

The Station's ATSC encoder will need to operate at 720p59.94 (hp @ hl). Of course, and to the extent a Station does not produce its own shows in HD, its Master Control output must be converted to 720p as well. While it is possible to splice seamlessly between any possible Station format (480i, 1080i, etc) and FOX's format, it is not recommended. Most DTV receivers in viewer's homes take several seconds to accommodate such format changes during which no picture or sound are displayed.

Finally, the FOX Splicer System will install most easily if the FOX Network Digital Satellite System, the Station's Master Control, and its ATSC Encoder are colocated. FOX will assist Station's with the design of link facilities among or between remote sites as the case may be. However, as is the current policy for analog and FOX Widescreen links, the procurement, installation, and maintenance of such links is the responsibility of the Station.
post #97 of 498 Old 01-22-2004, 06:59 AM

Location: Ormond Beach (Daytona Beach suburb, Orlando viewing area)
Quote:
[BAnd who said anything about HDTV? Not me. All I said was "digital" and that is what the FCC mandate says. There are lots of different digital formats besides HDTV. There really isn't much of an improvement between good analog and SD digital if the analog signal is decent. People that say there is had an awful analog signal to begin with. [/b]
As I understand it, only the over the air broadcasts have been mandated to switch completely to digital. Since the cable TV signals are not broadcasted, they can continue to supply all of the current analog cable channels indefinitely. (Obviously they'll have to down convert the ATSC broadcasts to NTSC.)

JD
post #98 of 498 Old 01-22-2004, 07:26 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by obie_fl
Rick - I don't necessarily disagree with you that there should be a cheaper local HD package, but my BHN price guide says it is $53.99 for the Digital Entertainment PAK that I’m fairly certain includes the local HDs. That is not $17 but it is quite a bit less then $80. Did the $17 plan include the HD locals or are you talking about the Basic analog locals? Maybe once QAM tuners with access card pods start becoming available in TV sets BNH will be able to offer a "Basic" digital locals package.
Tom,

I don't disagree with you at all. As I said I may be paying more than I should be. But it is rather hard to figure out. I never got any "price guide" or even a channel guide from them, so I don't know what you are referring to. Talking to their customer service is an adventure in itself (they don't even have access to the high definition signals).

The $17 (maybe it was $16?) plan was just for local channels. It was about 20 channels, all analog, no box required, no HD signal. I loved it.

Recently, when I called to get HD, along with the HDNet channels I am somewhere in the $80 price range. Actually more with taxes and stuff. I have no idea why so much, but I do get now like 200 channels I care little about. Though most of them seem to be pay-per-view or add-on channels. Maybe when I get a calm break I will try to call them again and try to understand their pricing options again.

Quote:
What he is saying is that since he was able to get only the locals analog signals for a low price, then he should be able to get the locals digital signals for the same price. He would be happy to give up the analog signals in trade for the digital ones.
No, I'm more than willing to pay a premium for the HD channels, HD decover box, yada yada. But $80-ish seems excessive for that amounts to the local network channels and a couple extra channels. I mean, some of the so called HD channels don't even have an HD signal in them as far as I can tell (Florida Network, Sunshine, WMFE)... though they are supposed to in the future I guess.

Quote:
Originally posted by Barry928
If all you really want is the HD local networks it is cheaper for you to buy a ATSC off air tuner. At $80 a month it would pay for itself in 5 months.
Yeah, I really want to! But problem is I live in an apartment and I am hesitant to invest $400+ in a tuner, antenna, etc., put them in my small balcony, and then to realize I can't get the channels. BHN isn't all it promises. The signal as it is drops out a lot, especially (murphy's law) when watching something I care about.

Rick
post #99 of 498 Old 01-22-2004, 07:56 AM

I could be wrong on this, but I think the issue is that to receive HD channels from BHN, you need an HD box, which is also a digital cable box. As long as said box is hooked up in your residence, you will receive all digital cable channels (the 200 or so extra channels you care little about ;)). This is the reason for the price difference. A digital cable subscription runs about 80 dollars. As far as I know, there is no way for them to get you HD singals without the box, so they're not going to let you have a box that gives you 200+ channels without charging you for it.

I don't believe they have a way of giving you the hd/digital cable box and then "turning off" the digital channels.
post #100 of 498 Old 01-22-2004, 08:56 AM
AVS Special Member

As I said earlier, I have the price guide (BHN always sends one out towards the end of the year in December) in front of me. The Digital Enterainment PAK is $53.99, even with the add-on HD Tier with the four new HD channels that would be $60 before taxes. Again I'm not saying they shouldn't have a cheaper HD locals package, just trying to get the pricing straight. Rick do you have any other premium channels like HBO or SHO or extra boxes? Just trying to figure out how your bill got up to $80.

I am also fairly certain they could block all those extra digital channels if they wanted to. That is how they do the premium packages like HBO, SHO, STARZ and the new HD tier.

I wish they would do away with all the analog channel but it would be cost prohibitive to BHN because they would have to provide all their customers with digital boxes.
post #101 of 498 Old 01-22-2004, 09:00 AM
AVS Special Member

--it would be cost prohibitive--

If you say so.

I dunno how the cable companies survived having to supply all those analog cable boxes before "cable ready" TVs came on the market back in the 80's.
post #102 of 498 Old 01-22-2004, 09:15 AM
AVS Special Member

BHN would like nothing better than to recover the bandwidth from the analog channels which consumes two thirds of the entire BHN system capacity. This would make room for 160 HD channels.

Visit the orlandodigital.tv website
Central Florida ISF Calibration

post #103 of 498 Old 01-22-2004, 09:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally posted by Barry928
BHN would like nothing better than to recover the bandwidth from the analog channels which consumes two thirds of the entire BHN system capacity. This would make room for 160 HD channels.
This maybe a dumb question, but why can't they use the same channel numbers for the local digtal channels as they are broadcast (i.e. use analog cable channel 58 for WKMG digital channel 58)? Then people that have TVs with built-in OTA HDTV tuners could receive the local digital channels (via cable) without a digital cable box. Doesn't an analog and a digital channel use the same bandwidth. I thought I've heard of some cable companies up north that do (or did) it thay way.

Jay
post #104 of 498 Old 01-22-2004, 09:56 AM
AVS Special Member

It takes twice the bandwidth to pass the 8vsb offair signal through the cable system as opposed to converting it to QAM. BHN does not wish to give this service away for free. The HD channels are encrypted on the digital tier as a value add to the digital customer.

post #105 of 498 Old 01-22-2004, 10:10 AM
AVS Special Member

--BHN would like nothing better--

But for a higher price to the customer. Since that last analog price hike, even my technology challenged wife said to me, "Why don't we have Dish?"

I just have to get the right IR emitter to work with my PC and we will be more than happy to comply with BHN's wishes to get off analog.
post #106 of 498 Old 01-22-2004, 02:07 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Sorry if this is too negative, but am I the only one who is not overly excited about HD Net? The programing on In Demand is pretty awful, and the same holds true of HD Net. Unless you really like watching Hogan's
Heroes, old lousy movies and an occasional hockey game, all four channels are pretty useless as far as programming is concerned.

I like the effort of BH to add HD channels but to pay for these channels is not worth it. If and when they add Starz HD, Cinemax HD or other premium HD movie channels, then I will jump on it and actually pay for those.
post #107 of 498 Old 01-22-2004, 05:29 PM

After getting no info from BHN telephone customer service on two attempts, I stopped by the BH kiosk at the mall so I could talk to someone in person. The guy there said that the Pace boxes were definitely in stock and were being placed in customers' homes. I asked him if I could just bring my SA box in to a local BH office and swap it out. He said that they didn't have them at the local BH offices, and that the only way to get one was to have one of the repair guys come out and bring you one (I know, it sounded bizarre to me also). He said he'd enter a service call in the system for me and I watched as he made a note in the comments section that the customer wanted to swap out for a Pace box.

The repair guy came out tonight and told me that he had seen nothing in the service call documentation to suggest that the call was for a switch-out to a Pace box, and that all he had in his van was SA boxes. He said he thought I was having trouble with my cabling (!). While he was still at my house he called BH and told them what happened. He put me on with customer service.

The customer service rep said that she was unfamiliar with the different boxes but said she'd talk to a supervisor for me if I waited on hold (she was very nice by the way).

After about 10 minutes she came back on and said that he supervisor had told her that if I didn't have a DVI input on my TV that the Pace box would offer me no advantage. I explained to her that I had a 1.33:1 TV and that the ability to switch between aspect ratio outputs on the box would help me. I didn't go into much detail and didn't address any of the other advantages of the Pace box such as component video and digital sound passthrough, because I could tell that she wasn't really up on the issues at hand and was really just pasing along what her supervisor had told her.

Anyway she put me on hold again and when she came back she said she'd put in a "memo" for me to a supervisor requesting a Pace box, but that it would have to be approved by management. She said they'd call me if it got approved but didn't sound very optimistic.

And that's how the situation was left...if nothing else after all of this it looks like I'm at least possibly going to get an answer one way or another (though based on what I had to go through just to get someone to hear what I was asking for, I'm not all that encouraged).

Oh, she also told me that her supervisor told her point blank that as of now there are no plans whatsoever to offer the Pace boxes to everyone in Central Florida. She said at this point they only put a few boxes out there just to test the unit and have no plans to convert or make them widely available.

I'll let you know if and when I get an answer regarding the memo she sent in on my behalf.

I guess if you are one of the lucky lottery-winners that got a Pace box, consider yourself fortunate.

I'd still love to hear whatever thoughts Greg has.

Bob
post #108 of 498 Old 01-22-2004, 06:09 PM

Not sure if anyone noticed, I checked back a few messages and didn't see anything, however I just re-tuned by box and noticed a carrier on 14.1/27.1 WRDQ-DT.

Nothing spectacular, just SD programming but it's a step!
post #109 of 498 Old 01-22-2004, 06:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 30
WKMG-CBS Dolby Digital 5.1 (or 4.1??)

I already posted this but got no replies. My WKMG channel 6.1 is now showing in DD but there is no sound coming from the central channel. Instead, the center sound is driven to the 2 front speakers, like the old "phantom effect" in the Dolby Pro Logic. My receiver shows all the 5 channels as active but absolutely no sound comes from the center. I have two different sets with different AV receivers but on both I use the Dish 6000 receiver with the OTA module. Everything is OK with my systems when I watch any other DD 5.1 channel. I noticed this with CSI tonight but I guess it's happening with all programs on WKMG.

Sergio

Standard Definition Causes Lung Cancer, Heart Disease, Emphysema, And May Complicate Pregnancy
post #110 of 498 Old 01-22-2004, 08:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally posted by lombana
Not sure if anyone noticed, I checked back a few messages and didn't see anything, however I just re-tuned by box and noticed a carrier on 14.1/27.1 WRDQ-DT.

I checked for a carrier on 14 (as I do daily) earlier today and noticed no signal as usual. They must have returned to air late this afternoon or early evening. Glad they are finally back in digital!
post #111 of 498 Old 01-22-2004, 08:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally posted by lombana

More importantly why did Marla get dumped to WRDQ from big sister WFTV? :)
post #112 of 498 Old 01-22-2004, 11:35 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Gator5000e
Sorry if this is too negative, but am I the only one who is not overly excited about HD Net? The programing on In Demand is pretty awful, and the same holds true of HD Net. Unless you really like watching Hogan's
Heroes, old lousy movies and an occasional hockey game, all four channels are pretty useless as far as programming is concerned.

I like the effort of BH to add HD channels but to pay for these channels is not worth it. If and when they add Starz HD, Cinemax HD or other premium HD movie channels, then I will jump on it and actually pay for those.
I agree, most of HDNet programming is pretty boring, however, there are some good points.

1) Since EVERY show is in 1080i, you always have an HD source to show off to your friends who have never seen it. The majority of Discovery-HD's repeat shows are intentionally softened, decreasing the the clarity of HD when showing it off to new comers.

2) A few of their shows have the crispest picture I have ever seen, even compared to the other 1080i channels.

3) It's rare, but occasionally the musical artists that they show in concert appeal to me.

4) Most of us who regularly visit this site are interested in new home entertainment technology, and their coverage of the CEDIA conventions are pretty cool.

JD
post #113 of 498 Old 01-22-2004, 11:42 PM

What's up with DirecTV and their guide gliches with the HDnet channels. Sometimes the guide information for HDnet Movies(81) gets swapped with HDnet's(79) guide info. Sometimes they both play the same movie, even though the guide says that something else is on the main HDnet channel. Also, channel 78 has showed up, mirroring the same programming as channel 81.

This is happening on both my Hughes and my Samsung set top boxes, so I doubt it's a hardware issue on my end.

Is this a D* problem, or are the HDnet channels experiencing issues?

JD
post #114 of 498 Old 01-23-2004, 12:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Doctor52
What's up with DirecTV and their guide gliches with the HDnet channels. Sometimes the guide information for HDnet Movies(81) gets swapped with HDnet's(79) guide info. Sometimes they both play the same movie, even though the guide says that something else is on the main HDnet channel. Also, channel 78 has showed up, mirroring the same programming as channel 81.

This is happening on both my Hughes and my Samsung set top boxes, so I doubt it's a hardware issue on my end.

Is this a D* problem, or are the HDnet channels experiencing issues?

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...hreadid=354068

post #115 of 498 Old 01-23-2004, 04:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Ok so I had the new Pioneer box in Charlotte and now managed to get the new pace box (have DVI on the tv). Well my .02 cents - BHN - switch to Pioneer. That box is just so much better. Here is my main problem. I can set the box I have to put out 1080i at all times, but not keeping the understanding that I have a 16:9 tv - I can either set it to 480 for regular channels stretching the picture and then 1080 for HD channel leaving the picture. The problem with this is that there is a lag as my tv process the info and decides how to convert it.

The Pioneer box would (if setup properly) output only 1080i for all programs stretch all 4:3 programming and leave the 16:9 programming alone and all my surfing was instantly performed....

I can get this box to put out 1080i at all times, but the only way is to set the tv mode to 4:3 - it works fine for the HD material and leaves that unchanged, but the stretching of SD programming this way makes me loose half an inch on each side and way overstretches (for obvious reasons).

So call for the Pioneer box to be brought into the market instead of calling for Pace :) - hopefully they pick the right HDDVR

Regarding the discussion about charging for HD or not - Time Warner has taken the standpoint that it is illegal for them to charge extra for the Digital versions of the basic channels....Cable act - there is also a separate cable act that allows you to buy any package without bying anything else - can't remember the numbers, but surfe the main forum for more info. I think BHN should provide those channels for a rental fee of the box - that is how many markets are doing it.

Greg - sorry for the bad feedback so quickly :) - besides that pq is great - SD is better than in NC which is nice. I will PM you about the installation etc.
post #116 of 498 Old 01-23-2004, 06:02 AM

First, thanks to Obie_FL, Barry928 and others for trying to keep the facts at the forefront of this discussion. Your comments reinforce for me the value of my participation here.

Regarding Pace box availability: What the CSR's have been saying is essentially correct. They have no ability to get you one, and no visibility to what method the engineers and field operations people use to determine where the new boxes go. If you look back several pages in the thread, I said pretty clearly that the Pace box is in a "trial" status and being put into a controlled number of homes.

My advice is be patient, and allow us to get these issues resolved, then we'll figure out a way to work swapouts (I owe my boss a plan on this very subject). It still has some bugs (DVI over some HDCP capable sets being one of them) and we're working through them. To demand immediate deployment and then complain that the box is buggy is counter-productive. We'll do full deployment when it's ready.

mhdiab -- Time Warner has NOT taken the position that it is illegal to charge extra for digital versions of basic channels (I used to work for them in the same capacity), because it's not true. (I've had this discussion indepth with our attorneys). Their position is that they shouldn't have to pay to carry digital versions of programming they already pay for in analog, so that they can pass these channels on to the customer for no extra charge (above the regular digital service). We were able to do that with Discovery and the locals. With INHD and HDNet, it's new content we were not carrying elsewhere, so it's in a tier for an additional fee.

As far as "tier buy through", that does not apply either. Here's the FCC's fact sheet: http://hraunfoss.fcc.gov/edocs_publi...-231469A1.pdf. Essentially, that means if you want to buy any of the premium services, I can't require you to buy the standard or digital tier first. So if you want only basic cable and HBO, you can do that. You have to pay the published "rate card" rates for each, and rent a set top box and remote, lose the guide, but you can do it.

But it doesn't mean that we have to sell any specific channel a la carte. And since the Digital Broadcast channels are part of the Digital tier, they are not subject to this. And since HBO-HD and SHO-HD are the same content, just different resolution, as SD HBO and SHO, they aren't subject either. INHD and HDNet are a separate tier, so they also aren't subject.

Oh, and by the way, nearly our entire service area has been determined to be subject to "Effective Compeition" (mentioned in the FCC sheet), so we aren't required to comply with "Tier buy through" anyway. But, in the interest of our customers, we're voluntarily complying anyway.

I've probably made this point before, but I'll repeat it. Find another cable company (or even Division of a cable company), that has embraced HDTV as much as we have. We were certainly the leading division when we were part of Time Warner, and we continue that path. We could be doing 84 more channels of standard definition programming, but we believe HD is important to our customers. We'll continue to make improvements as they come available. It will never be perfect, but we're doing our best -- and I think we've done pretty well.

Greg
post #117 of 498 Old 01-23-2004, 06:15 AM
AVS Special Member

--"Effective Compeition"--

I'm in Winter Park. Does anyone know who their competition is here?
post #118 of 498 Old 01-23-2004, 06:24 AM

e vay --

I thought you knew from your own post -- "even my technology challenged wife said to me, 'Why don't we have Dish?'"

We sure spend a ton of money on marketing, service upgrades, and community service to not have competition.

Greg
post #119 of 498 Old 01-23-2004, 06:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Oh. I thought we were talking about a rule that came down in 1992, before there was any satellite service.

So, since all areas in the lower 48 are covered by the satellite footprints, we can pretty much ignore the "Effective Competion" business?

--We sure spend a ton of money on marketing, service upgrades, and community service to not have competition.--

As do other utilities, such as Florida Power, OUC, Bell South and Sprint.
post #120 of 498 Old 01-23-2004, 06:55 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by mhdiab
Ok so I had the new Pioneer box in Charlotte and now managed to get the new pace box (have DVI on the tv). Well my .02 cents - BHN - switch to Pioneer. That box is just so much better. Here is my main problem. I can set the box I have to put out 1080i at all times, but not keeping the understanding that I have a 16:9 tv - I can either set it to 480 for regular channels stretching the picture and then 1080 for HD channel leaving the picture. The problem with this is that there is a lag as my tv process the info and decides how to convert it.

The Pioneer box would (if setup properly) output only 1080i for all programs stretch all 4:3 programming and leave the 16:9 programming alone and all my surfing was instantly performed....

I can get this box to put out 1080i at all times, but the only way is to set the tv mode to 4:3 - it works fine for the HD material and leaves that unchanged, but the stretching of SD programming this way makes me loose half an inch on each side and way overstretches (for obvious reasons).

Greg - sorry for the bad feedback so quickly :) - besides that pq is great - SD is better than in NC which is nice. I will PM you about the installation etc.
Couldn't you set the Pace box to 1080i all the time, 16x9 mode and engage the stretch feature feature for the 4x3 content?

Don't forget the Pace box has two separate Stretch/Zoom settings: one for Analog/SD and another for HD. So you can stretch SD and leave HD channels in their native aspect format. All Stretch and Zoom functionality is accessed via the # key on the RC.
Closed Thread Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page