Central Florida Winter 2004 thread - Page 7 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 01-29-2004, 08:35 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I called BHN last night for an issue with my DVR box. Since I was already on the line, I asked about swapping my SA box for the Pace HD. The rep was very polite, but stated that they had no control over which box people were getting. I then explained that I have a DVI TV and would like to use the DVI on the Pace box. She said they don't supply the DVI cable (which I knew) but I told her I already had one. It sounded like she was trying to discourage me from following through because she said they cost $100 (I knew Monsters cost that much, but I don't have one of those). She said she would have to talk with her supervisor. After a couple of meinutes on hold, she came back on and said that they would have to put me on a list to get one because they were out of them and when more came in, they would call me.

I'm not sure what to think of this. It's possible that it is another tactic to discourage the swap.

Obviously, if there is such a demand for the swap from the SA to the Pace box, there is a problem with customer dissatisfaction with the cable box choices.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-29-2004, 08:36 AM
AVS Special Member

According to the user manual from pace if you press and hold down the # key on the remote the on screen menu will offer you a choice of resolutions.

Visit the orlandodigital.tv website
Central Florida ISF Calibration

Old 01-29-2004, 02:51 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Looks like WMFE-DT has fixed their PSIP mapping problem.
Old 01-29-2004, 02:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Rich,

Did you ever receive an email reply from WMFE?

Old 01-30-2004, 08:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
According to the user manual from pace if you press and hold down the # key on the remote the on screen menu will offer you a choice of resolutions.
Worked like a charm - thanks Barry - I was just clicking on the # key not holding it in.

I wonder why they don't let you access that capability under the additional settings just like the Pioneer box (new) since they use the same software - but oh well this was great info that I missed - thanks
Old 01-30-2004, 11:20 AM

Liked: 11
Head's up: I just added the Digital Pak from BHN. While I was on with the CSR, she said, you are a 4 star customer (I subscribe to just about everything), you get the HBO, Cinemax, Showtime, and Movie channel VOD channels (119-122) for free. This was as of January 1.
Old 01-30-2004, 12:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 16
There was a reference on Roger's site today to an article in USA today about WKMG's sub channel plans.
Article here:
http://www.usatoday.com/money/media/...ulticast_x.htm

Excerpt:

"WKMG, CBS affiliate in Orlando, plans to broadcast a Web-style screen with local news, weather maps, headlines and rotating live traffic views. "

Web style, why wouldn't I just log on to their site if I wanted this???
Talk about reinventing the wheel.
Plus, didn't WFTV-DT already try to do this over a year ago. If I remember correctly it it had live traffic shots rotating to a weather radar so small you couldn't make out where you live, and poorly detailed or updated headlines. Sounds great doesn't it!? This new WKMG plan sounds real unique.

I guess they missed it when WFTV tried the formula over a year ago!
Throwing bits away to do this is ridiculous.

If you care about compression quality everyone better start making their voice be heard before it is too late!

I am starting to think that the stations are just doing this to out do each other even when their efforts don't make any sense at all.
It just a publicity contest to see who can out do who.

Its funny they have time and money to throw at these pet projects but can't fix the long existent problems with their digital signal.

I saw the report last week on WKMG's 5:30 news with Frank Torbert talking I guess they are trying to justify the investment in the traffic cams.

Ridiculous. HD could have brought viewers back to OTA broadcasting because it offered something better. Multicasting will ruin HD quality which is already border line.

Make your voices heard otherwise HD will become a dull pixelized mess resembling how the 3 mbps SD channels on Dish, DirecTV, and digital cable look. If that is what you like then go ahead and support Multicasting.
I assumed that is not why all of us invested in HD. This new WKMG plan doesn't offer us anything unique just content already found on the web.
If anything it is a step back since it degrades the radars availability!
Old 01-30-2004, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Ridiculous. HD could have brought viewers back to OTA broadcasting because it offered something better. Multicasting will ruin HD quality which is already border line.
Agreed. I am one of those that initially came back to broadcast tv because the image quality in the HD programming was compelling-and when I watch the shows, I do so only on my HD display. Seems crazy to be messing with their bread and butter. I could give a rat's ass about the traffic cams.

Mike
Old 01-30-2004, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by mhdiab
How do you change the resolution with the remote? I know about using the # key to change stretch, zoom etc mode and I guess that it does actually swap between 480p and 1080i - is that what you are reffering too? Also if you choose Pass on the box do you still have the guide features????

I changed to Pass - thinking this lets the tv do the job, but then I lost the guide feature which sucks - is this not the case for you others???
Sorry for not responding quicker. My home computer died yesteday.

As Barry pointed out, just hold down the # key for a bit and the display comes up with your options. You can even enable closed caption on HD via this method.

Using Pass Through or any resolution for that matter doesn't cause the guide feature to go away for me. Though, even in 16X9 HD, the quide will format to 4X3. Once I clear the guide, the picture reverts back to 16X9 HD.

Quote:
Adios ... just curious, what dvi enabled tv do you have and what is it's native resolution?
I have the Samsung HLN/M 507.
Old 01-30-2004, 05:49 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Just noticed the CBS E & W stations listed in the HD channel listings. It lists a number to call to order. Has anyone tried? Are these channels available to us here in CF?
Old 01-30-2004, 06:28 PM
AVS Special Member

The CBS and FOX channels from DirecTV are only available if the station in the market is a network O & O. In Central Florida we do qualify for FOX since WOFL is owned by FOX but we will not get CBS because WKMG is owned by Post Newsweek.

Old 01-30-2004, 07:12 PM
AVS Special Member

http://www*****e.org/dtv/multicasting.asp

Quote:
No commercial TV station in Central Florida has yet stepped up to offering such compelling public service programming opportunities with their new digital TV capacity as is exemplified in WMFE's multicasting programming commitment. In fact, commercial TV stations are considering the programming strategy of "pay-per-view" on their multicast channels, scrambling the video and making it available only to paying viewers as a way of maximizing the return on investment to their stockholders.

Old 01-30-2004, 08:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Also from WMFE:

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Multicasting becomes the very centerpiece of WMFE's "digital" commitment to the Central Florida community as from midnight all the way through to the next evening's start of prime time at 8 p.m., Channel 23 will be multicasting 20 hours per day! The new digital technology (the means) converts the spectrum space needed earlier for high definition programming and divides that space into four standard channels WMFE will use to telecast four streams of programs (the end)!
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

In other words between 8pm and 12am they will only do HD and send null packets over the other channels. Smart. I Guess WMFE realizes you can't do both and do them well! WCEU also has stated in the past they would do the same during HD.

Also part of the WMFE plan:
http://www.pcomsys.com/news_events/s...tory6_wmfe.htm

I have been following the DTV story since before it started here in Central Florida. I have seen every station come on air, I have seen some stretching, some with lip sync problems, many with no captions, those that could not remember to passthrough HD, others with bad PSIP data or no guide data at all. If it wasn't for the voices of this thread most of these problems would simply have been ignored. Unless a broadcaster acknowledges that adding sub-channels to the DTV stream will impact the current quality level of the main HD service they are not truthful with themselves or the viewers.

There is a right way and a wrong way to multicast.
Some stations realize the limitations of technology and others choose to ignore the facts. There are only so many bits available and adding a new channel simply subtracts bits from another. There is only so much statistical multiplexers or variable bitrate compression can do.

Words to live by: "Do one thing and do it well!"

What we need is a minimum bitrate mandate by networks for HD, otherwise local stations are free to degrade HD all they want!
Old 01-30-2004, 08:33 PM
AVS Special Member

http://www*****e.org/dtv/datacasting.asp

I wonder how much bandwidth will be set aside for datacasting?

Will this be active during primetime HD?

Old 01-31-2004, 01:59 PM

Is anyone else trying to watch the ACC basketball games on channel 65 today? When they superimpose the channel bug, any motion that occurs gets really smeared rendering the broadcast nearly unwatchable. I'm pretty sure its not my equipment, because I checked both digital channels, the analog channel, and the DirecTV feed and it happens on all of them. Also when they don't have the bug on, the picture's fine. Anybody else seeing this problem?
Old 01-31-2004, 03:24 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Interesting. On channel 82 on Direct TV, the information slides indicate they can show the HD feeds in the HD package if they get permission from the local station. Would be nice if Channel 6 would give permission to receive the HD feed on Direct TV. Probably very little chance of that happening, I guess. Too bad.
Old 01-31-2004, 05:30 PM

I've decide to try an OTA antenna. I live in the Palm Bay area. I would like a recommendation of an outdoor antenna. Yes, I know everybody is different and yes I've read the links to sites that tell you what to get. I just want someone's specs on what they use in my area. I tried the Radio shack 15-2185 ant. It didn't work well. The guy said I dont need a HDTV STB. I think he is incorrect. I hooked it to the set. I can change channels but the reception is poor. PM's are fine.
Old 01-31-2004, 05:48 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Marco33
I have the next to the largest radio shack ant (I think it is a VU-170) and a channel master 777 preamp. Be sure that your coax is a good quality RG-6 and not RG-58.

If your TV does not have a built in ATSC (HD) tuner you will need an HD STB to receive OTA HD signals. If it does have a built-in ATSC tuner your all set.

Gator,

WKMG has been great to us, responding to reported problems, giving us a tour, get DD5.1 online & etc. Since they have a big investment in the digital station, I don't have a problem supporting them. I see CBS on DirecTV as a waste of bandwidth (at least for us in this area) that could be used to show TMCHD,STARZ HD or some other HD network.
Old 01-31-2004, 07:30 PM

Thanks Rich. I think the built in tuner is for standard reception. I'll look into some more.

hmm... the e-mail notification didn't work?

EDIT: It does not. I'm heading over to the Hardware section. Thanks.
Old 02-01-2004, 12:14 AM

Location: Ormond Beach (Daytona Beach suburb, Orlando viewing area)
Since WKMG dropped the subchannel for the Florida/FSU game, I assume they'll drop it for the big bowl. The Superbowl does have slightly more viewers than the gator/seminole game.

JD
Old 02-01-2004, 05:11 AM

Has anyone noticed that WMFE digital on BHN ch. 1240 has the analog programs listed in the program guide? I have previously called BHN (TWC) about incorrect listings and they said that they can only list what the TV station gives them. I have tried calling WMFE and only get voice mail and they don't call back and they don't answer email either.
Old 02-01-2004, 10:32 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

At the moment, the program info from DirecTV is correct for 24-1.
Old 02-01-2004, 03:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Doctor52
Since WKMG dropped the subchannel for the Florida/FSU game, I assume they'll drop it for the big bowl. The Superbowl does have slightly more viewers than the gator/seminole game.
Yes, the radar has been reduced now for the superbowl but not totally dropped. Sort of validates my point about HD bitrate requirements and multicasting!
Old 02-01-2004, 05:49 PM

WKMG is also broadcasting two different audio feeds of the Super Bowl on their HD channel.

Main Audio Channel

Dolby Digital 5.1
Reduced Announcer Volume (allows for a feeling like being at the game, with increased background volume)

Second Audio Channel

Stereo
Normal Announcer Volume (like a regular football game on television)

James Westerfield
Lake Mary, FL
Old 02-01-2004, 09:00 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Dropping the datarate for the subchannel made a noticable reduction in the artifacts seen in the game.

Tnx Frank !

The sound level on the commercials was way too high compaired to the game.
Old 02-01-2004, 09:06 PM

Wow - the most important game of the year - the one that EVERYONE is watching and CBS manages to produce the most lackluster HD broadcast since we started to care, and for this they charge 2million + per 30 second spot!

ABC had it right last year when they actually broadcast 2 different feeds, one HD and one SD, CBS should have learned from this and not giving the line directors the opportunity to call takes on SD cameras and replay equipment.

SHAME on CBS for not making the best of the greatest opportunity to showcase HD. I feel bad for all the people that purchased, even to return, HD sets this week expecting to see the best picture details only to find that 50% of the broadcast was nothing better than standard definition.

If you haven't already, head over to the CBS website and find a way to voice your opinion via eMail links to their senior staff.

Regards,
miguel
Old 02-02-2004, 10:07 AM

Good news for BHN High Speed Data users...

Bright House Networks is increasing the download speed for all of our AOL for Broadband, EarthLink High Speed Internet, Internet Junction High Speed Cable and Road Runner High Speed Online customers at no additional charge. Effective 2/2/04, all current customers, as well as new customers, will enjoy download speeds of up to 3Mbps (megabits per second). DSL offers download speeds of only 1.5Mbps, so our increase to 3Mbps makes Bright House Networks up to twice as fast as DSL…and at no additional cost.

Customers will receive the new and improved download speed increase automatically and do not need to do anything to enjoy this feature.

Now if only I could read faster...enjoy.

Greg
Old 02-02-2004, 10:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Greg,

WOW! 3Mbps.

You are making it harder to stay a faithful Directv/DSL customer.

Old 02-02-2004, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by gmclaughlin
Good news for BHN High Speed Data users...

Bright House Networks is increasing the download speed for all of our AOL for Broadband, EarthLink High Speed Internet, Internet Junction High Speed Cable and Road Runner High Speed Online customers at no additional charge. Effective 2/2/04, all current customers, as well as new customers, will enjoy download speeds of up to 3Mbps (megabits per second). DSL offers download speeds of only 1.5Mbps, so our increase to 3Mbps makes Bright House Networks up to twice as fast as DSL…and at no additional cost.

Customers will receive the new and improved download speed increase automatically and do not need to do anything to enjoy this feature.

Now if only I could read faster...enjoy.
Great news. I was already pleased that I was already clocking downloads at over 2Mbps. Increasing that to 3Mbps is even better.

On a separate topic, did anyone else experience audio and video dropouts, including frozen pictures, while watching the Super Bowl in HD BHN? I suspect that it was a CBS feed problem. Any ideas?
Old 02-02-2004, 10:39 AM
AVS Special Member

I saw the frozen picture and here is my wild theory. Security helicopters patrolling around the stadium in Houston would occasionally fly through the uplink path.