Closed Thread

post #1 of 498 Old 01-07-2004, 04:48 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Central Florida Winter 2004 thread
Welcome to the new Central Florida Winter 2003 thread!

The new season is set to begin and that means more HD!!!Several new HD channels are in the offering and more to come this year. Hopefully the cable and satellite services will be able to deliver them to us.

Link back to the old Central Florida Fall 2003 thread for reference:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...hreadid=299580

WMFE-DT 23 is finally on the air in Nov, leaving WRDQ-DT as the only missing station.

Here is a list of contacts for many local stations you may want to contact if the station is experiencing technical problems or your STB is encountering problems with their signal.

Orlando station's emails:
WESH: Richard.Monn@Hearst.com
WKCF: addalia@wb18.com
WFTV/WRDQ: john.demshock@wftv.com
WKMG: techquestions@local6.com
WCEU: bill_schwartz@wceu.pbs.org
WOFL/WRBW: Unlisted
WMFE: mike_simmons@wmfe.pbs.org
WOPX: Unknown
WBCC: padgetta@brevardcc.edu
WVEN/WOTF: aguernica@entravision.com (GM)

For more info about HD and DTV reception visit the following sites:

www.orlandodigital.tv has more information on HD programming availability, HD news, links to equipment manufacturers, weekly HDTV listings and links to earlier Central Florida AVS threads. Sign up @ the website to get notifications for Central Florida HD Society events.

www.antennaweb.org has information you might find helpful for setting up your OTA antenna and recommendations on antenna requirements.

Be sure to check out the AVS forum's (http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/foru...hp?forumid=6) programming, hardware and recording threads.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 498 Old 01-08-2004, 04:40 AM

I have a question about PQ. Last night I was watching Star Trek on WRBW over BHN in Melbourne and thought the picture looked very good. When the show was over I turned to Discovery HD and was amazed by the picture, so much brighter, sharper, and life-like. Why the difference? Is it due to the way the stations are transmitting or is it just the content?
post #3 of 498 Old 01-08-2004, 09:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Talk about hot button issues. Be gentle James.

Visit the orlandodigital.tv website
Central Florida ISF Calibration

post #4 of 498 Old 01-08-2004, 12:18 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Rick,

The PQ of any given show varies by the intent of the director, the medium its shot on (film vs video) and the station. Since WRBW runs a 480i simulcast subchannel, its taking away bandwidth from the HD channel, assuming UPN is sending at its full bandwidth to WRBW. Enterprise is also intentionally a 'dark' production. The vast amount of computer generated effects may also contribute if they are not rendering them at a high enough resolution (to reduce costs).

One of these days I will attempt to A/B WRBW-DT & WTVX-DT( which doesn't run a subchannel) to see if there is a difference.
post #5 of 498 Old 01-08-2004, 12:24 PM

To further pursue my problem with airplane induced dropout on channel 6 DTV I asked for comment from Frank Torbert at WKMG. He sent this excellent overview of the problem. I see now the problem is not blocking of the signal but rather a loss of lock when the primary carrier and out of phase ghost "collide" in the tuner and cancel each other out.

You mentioned that this happens when planes go over. You might also notice ghosting if you are watching channel 65 analog. Ghosts are the biggest problem with DTV. What actually happens when you get a ghost in an analog picture is that a reflection of the signal is arriving at the tuner later in time than the main RF signal. When this happens in analog you see a second image on the screen. This same problem exists in DTV, however, the reflected RF signal arrives out of phase from the original signal which causes lose of data. I would suggest a couple of things.

First check channel 65 analog to see if you have a consistently bad picture on your DTV set. If so try connecting your DTV set directly to the antenna and see what the result is. Passing of the upper end of the UHF band through antenna systems is the number one problem we see.

Second, you might try a different antenna, one that is more directional. The hope is that a more directional antenna will reject RF that comes from any direction other than the horizon.

Let me know how this works for you. We are learning right along with you so your information is of value to me.

Frank Torbert
Chief Engineer
WKMG-TV

DrDave
post #6 of 498 Old 01-08-2004, 12:40 PM

Any news on HD PVR from Brighthouse - I tried to look through the previous thread but didn't see anything recent. I thought it was going to be available in January.
post #7 of 498 Old 01-08-2004, 01:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Dave,

Nice to see Frank T. confirm our suspicions about the multi path ghosting error.

Do you think your antenna type is a wide UHF pickup pattern or already narrow?

If you are using a narrow antenna would increasing the primary signal strength help to reject the delayed signals?

post #8 of 498 Old 01-08-2004, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by rich21
Rick,

The PQ of any given show varies by the intent of the director, the medium its shot on (film vs video) and the station. Since WRBW runs a 480i simulcast subchannel, its taking away bandwidth from the HD channel, assuming UPN is sending at its full bandwidth to WRBW. Enterprise is also intentionally a 'dark' production. The vast amount of computer generated effects may also contribute if they are not rendering them at a high enough resolution (to reduce costs).

One of these days I will attempt to A/B WRBW-DT & WTVX-DT( which doesn't run a subchannel) to see if there is a difference.
Rich21,
Thanks for the explanation.
Rick
post #9 of 498 Old 01-08-2004, 02:57 PM

Ever since WMFE went on the air I have not been able to get WESH using my indoor TERK antenna via my DTC-100 receiver no matter how I adjust it. I used to be able to get over 75-80% reception signal, now best I can get is 30% which is not enough to show a picture.

Has anyone else experienced this loss in WESH at all?

I've also lost the 23.1 (only see 23.2 and 23.2) for WMFE. 23.1 has the HDTV broadcasts.

Also, I now have to constantly adjust the indoor antenna for some stations which I didnt have to do much before.

I am considering an external antenna - perhaps the new TERK that I could attach to my DirecTV dish...

Lee
post #10 of 498 Old 01-09-2004, 06:50 AM

Lineup; Agreement in Place to Offer CBS-HD Programming

LAS VEGAS – January 8, 2004 -- Continuing to expand its high-definition and enhanced digital television programming, DIRECTV , Inc., the nation's leading digital multichannel television service provider, announced today that it plans to offer CBS-HD programming -- including hit primetime series "CSI: Crime Scene Investigation" and "Everybody Loves Raymond," as well as the Sunday, Feb. 1 broadcast of Super Bowl XXXVIII -- in the coming weeks. A similar agreement with FOX is expected to be reached in the next several weeks.
The CBS-HD programming, from WCBS in New York and KCBS in Los Angeles, will be available to eligible DIRECTV customers in markets where CBS owns and operates stations, including Chicago; Philadelphia; San Francisco; Boston; Dallas; Detroit; Minneapolis; Miami; Denver; Pittsburgh; Baltimore; Salt Lake City; Austin, Texas; and Green Bay, Wis. Similarly, FOX programming is also expected to be offered to customers in FOX O&O markets.

"The addition of CBS-HD programming comes just in time for the CBS presentation of Super Bowl XXXVIII and underscores our long-time commitment to offering the best in HD programming to our customers," said Stephanie Campbell, senior vice president, Programming, DIRECTV , Inc. "FOX's WIDESCREEN(TM) programming, which will migrate to FOX HD programming, will provide customers with a stunning widescreen view of FOX network programming including sports broadcasts, which show off the advantages of this format and put the viewer right in the middle of the action."

Customers who subscribe to the DIRECTV local channels package in CBS and/or FOX O&O markets will receive this programming free of charge.

Customers in the Pacific and Mountain time zones will receive the west coast feeds and those in the Central and Eastern times zones will receive the east coast feeds.

DIRECTV currently offers seven HD channels including its HD package, which features ESPN HD, Discovery HD Theater(TM), HDNet and HDNet Movies for $10.99 per month. DIRECTV HD customers are also receiving HBO(R) HDTV and SHOWTIME HDTV(R) as part of their premium packages, as well as HD Pay Per View movies.

To access DIRECTV HD programming, customers may purchase a DIRECTV -enabled high-definition set-top receiver and a single 18 x 20-inch multi-satellite dish with three LNBs. DIRECTV -enabled HD receivers and triple-LNB satellite dishes are available from authorized DIRECTV retailers, such as Circuit City and Best Buy, nationwide.

DIRECTV is the nation's leading digital multichannel television service provider with more than 12.2 million customers. DIRECTV and the Cyclone Design logo are registered trademarks of DIRECTV , Inc., a unit of Hughes Electronics Corp. (NYSE:HS). Hughes is a world-leading provider of digital multichannel television entertainment, broadband satellite networks and services, and global video and data broadcasting. Hughes is 34 percent owned by Fox Entertainment Group, which is approximately 82 percent owned by News Corporation Ltd.
post #11 of 498 Old 01-09-2004, 07:00 AM

This looks promissing! - Yet let's not forget they actually showed a working prototype last year as well. MIGUEL
--------------------------------------------------------
1/8/2004

New TiVo® Powered Products in 2004 Include DVD Recorders, HD DVR, and Home Networked Enabled Products

TiVo Hallmarks of Simplicity and Control Fuel Proliferation of New Products

January 8, 2004 - LAS VEGAS – INTERNATIONAL CONSUMER ELECTRONICS SHOW – TiVo (NASDAQ: TIVO) today said new products powered by TiVo in 2004 will include DVD recorders, high-definition DVRs, and home network enabled products. These new products point to growing opportunities for TiVo in the marketplace, as the simplicity and control that TiVo is known for becomes a sought after differentiator by consumer electronics companies to drive adoption for many new digital entertainment products.
In 2004, consumers will be able to experience TiVo in ways never before possible. From DVD recorders that deliver on the unfulfilled promise of the VCR, to the HD enabled DIRECTV (NASDAQ: GMH) DVR, to the most popular standalone DVR on the market, the TiVo Series2TM, TiVo is offering consumers unparalleled functionality and ease of use, in packages to fit any lifestyle. In fact, consumers will be able to choose from over a dozen TiVo powered products from industry leaders including DIRECTV, Hughes, Humax, Philips, Pioneer, RCA, Samsung and Toshiba this year.

"As a company, we expect TiVo’s expanded presence in the market to lead to a robust 2004," said Mike Ramsay, CEO of TiVo. "We’ve seen a growing demand for our standalone TiVo Series2 models, and our expanded offering with DIRECTV points to the strength and value of our relationship with them. We’re forging new partnerships with consumer electronics companies eager to replicate this success and leverage the consumer passion that TiVo inspires to drive adoption of their cutting edge CE products."

Global CE Makers Humax, Toshiba To Introduce New DVD Recorders Powered by TiVo
Humax, an international leader of digital satellite set-top box manufacturing that currently exports to more than 90 countries, will make its entry into the U.S. market with a new DVD recorder powered by TiVo. The company will announce specific product details later this year and expects the DVD recorder powered by TiVo to be on retail shelves in the Fall of 2004. Humax will also build two new models of TiVo Series2, which will store up to 80 hours and 250 hours of programs. The new TiVo Series2 DVRs from Humax will be available at retail in the second quarter of 2004.

In 2004, Toshiba has extended its existing licensing agreement with TiVo in order to build new TiVo powered products this year. Included in this lineup will be Toshiba's first TiVo-powered DVD Recorder model slated for a Fall 2004 introduction. In 2003, Toshiba America Consumer Products, a division of Toshiba Corporation introduced the SD-H400 combination DVD player powered by TiVo. The SD-H400 offers up to 80 hours of programming storage and combines progressive scan DVD playback with TiVo Basic Service.

Pioneer set a new standard for DVD recorders last year with the introduction of two DVD recorder products powered by TiVo. The New York Times suggested the "early attempts [of VCR-DVD combos] should bow down before the sweet perfection of a new pair of hybrids: Pioneer's new DVR-810H and Elite DVR-57H."

The product also won an Innovation award at this year's International Consumer Electronics Show, and both are available at consumer electronics retailers across the country. The Pioneer DVR-810H offers up to 80 hours of program storage, and the Elite DVR-57H offers up to 120 hours of storage.

DIRECTV Brings Advanced HD DVR to Market in Early 2004
The highly anticipated new DIRECTV HD DVR, a high definition digital video recorder, was among the products TiVo showcased at CES. The DIRECTV HD DVR, licensed and designed by TiVo, features four tuners and can automatically identify whether an incoming signal is satellite or off-air and then engage the proper tuner for recording. The new DIRECTV HD DVR will be available in the first quarter of 2004.

The popular DIRECTV DVR with TiVo will continue to be a best seller for the leading satellite television service provider. Hughes, Philips, RCA and Samsung will all offer the integrated DIRECTV tuner with TiVo at retail outlets nationally in 2004.

About TiVo
Founded in 1997 with the mission to dramatically improve consumers’ television viewing experiences, TiVo (NASDAQ: TIVO) is the creator of television services for digital video recorders (DVRs). TiVo’s leadership has defined and inspired the entire category, earning the company patents for pioneering inventions associated with DVR software and hardware design. TiVo was the first to deliver on the promise of consumer choice and control over TV viewing, building a loyal and passionate subscriber base with over 97% of customers surveyed recommending TiVo to a friend. This enthusiasm has contributed to overwhelming growth over the past year, and the total subscriber base exceeds 1 million. TiVo is headquartered in San Jose, CA. Additional information can be found at www.tivo.com.

This release contains certain forward-looking statements within the meaning of the Private Securities Litigation Reform Act of 1995. These statements relate to, among other things, TiVo's business, services, business development, strategy, customers or other factors that may affect future earnings or financial results. Forward-looking statements generally can be identified by the use of forward-looking terminology such as, "believe," "expect," "may," "will," "intend," "estimate," "continue," or similar expressions or the negative of those terms or expressions. Such statements involve risks and uncertainties, which could cause actual results to vary materially from those expressed in or indicated by the forward-looking statements. Factors that may cause actual results to differ materially include delays in development, competitive service offerings and lack of market acceptance, as well as the "Factors That May Affect Future Operating Results." More information on potential factors that could affect the Company’s financial results is included from time to time in the Company’s public reports filed with the Securities and Exchange Commission, including the Company’s Annual Report on Form 10-K for the fiscal year ended January 31, 2003, as amended, and the Quarterly Reports on Form 10Q for the period(s) ended April 30, 2003, July 31, 2003, October 31, 2003, filed with the Securities and Exchange Commission. We caution you not to place undue reliance on forward-looking statements, which reflect an analysis only and speak only as of the date hereof. TiVo disclaims any obligation to update these forward-looking statements.

TiVo, Season Pass, WishList, TiVo Basic are registered trademarks of TiVo Inc. in the United States and other jurisdictions. All other company or product names mentioned may be trademarks or registered trademarks of the respective companies with which they are associated.
post #12 of 498 Old 01-09-2004, 07:05 AM

All I can say about this is WOW and it's about time! NO HACKS REQUIRED...
-----------------------------------------------------------------------

1/8/2004

New TiVo® Service Release Ushers in Era of "TiVo To Go" Portable, Mobile TiVo Experience

January 8, 2004 - LAS VEGAS – INTERNATIONAL CONSUMER ELECTRONICS SHOW – TiVo (NASDAQ: TIVO) announced today it intends to deliver a new service release in the Fall of 2004 called “TiVoToGoTM.†For the first time, TiVo subscribers with Home Media Option(TM) will be able to move their favorite programs stored on a TiVo DVR to a laptop for viewing on the road, or to any PC. For those who have a PC equipped with a DVD burner, programs can then be burned to DVD so users can take the TiVo experience with them wherever they go.
"We’re now giving consumers the freedom and control to determine where they enjoy entertainment, whether it’s at home, in a car, on a plane – or anywhere on the road," said Brodie Keast, Senior Vice President and General Manager of the TiVo Service.

How "TiVoToGo" Works
Accessing “TiVoToGo†requires a TiVo Content Security Key and TiVo-enabled versions of the Sonic Solution (NASDAQ: SNIC) MyDVD® and CinePlayer(TM) applications.

Sonic Solutions, the leader in DVD creation software, has teamed with TiVo to develop TiVo-enabled versions of Sonic’s MyDVD and CinePlayer applications. Once this software is installed on the PC, the new TiVo-enabled MyDVD and CinePlayer software from Sonic will make it easy to find the “Now Playing†programs on any networked TiVo DVR in the home.

Once selected, the secure and encrypted TiVo recorded programs are moved to the PC, where the TiVo Content Security Key is used to unlock the files for playback or burning, preventing files from being shared online, outside of the user’s home network.

The TiVo Content Security Key and the TiVo-enabled versions of Sonic Solution’s MyDVD and CinePlayer applications will be sold as a bundle at www.tivo.com.

The "TiVo to Go" service upgrade, TiVo Content Security Key and the Sonic software will all be available in Fall 2004.

The Future of "TiVoToGo"
These new mobile services are just the beginning. TiVo expects that other software and hardware makers will develop additional capabilities in the future designed to work with "TiVoToGo."

BravoBrava! is a technology company that has already developed mobile services that will allow remote programming of the TiVo Series2 DVR from cell phones and demonstrated these new capabilities at the Consumer Electronics Show (CES). "TiVoToGo" scheduling from your cell phone or PDA extends remote scheduling beyond the PC keyboard, giving subscribers the ability to schedule recordings while on the go. Just heard about a new episode of the latest reality show? Just grab your cell phone and tell your TiVo Series2 DVR to record it for you.

About TiVo
Founded in 1997 with the mission to dramatically improve consumers' television viewing experiences, TiVo (NASDAQ: TIVO) is the creator of television services for digital video recorders (DVRs). TiVo's leadership has defined and inspired the entire category, earning the company patents for pioneering inventions associated with DVR software and hardware design. TiVo was the first to deliver on the promise of consumer choice and control over TV viewing, building a loyal and passionate subscriber base with over 97% of customers surveyed recommending TiVo to a friend. This enthusiasm has contributed to overwhelming growth over the past year, and the total subscriber base exceeds 1 million. TiVo is headquartered in San Jose, CA. Additional information can be found at www.tivo.com.

This release contains certain forward-looking statements within the meaning of the Private Securities Litigation Reform Act of 1995. These statements relate to, among other things, TiVo's business, services, business development, strategy, customers or other factors that may affect future earnings or financial results. Forward-looking statements generally can be identified by the use of forward-looking terminology such as, "believe," "expect," "may," "will," "intend," "estimate," "continue," or similar expressions or the negative of those terms or expressions. Such statements involve risks and uncertainties, which could cause actual results to vary materially from those expressed in or indicated by the forward-looking statements. Factors that may cause actual results to differ materially include delays in development, competitive service offerings and lack of market acceptance, as well as the "Factors That May Affect Future Operating Results." More information on potential factors that could affect the Company’s financial results is included from time to time in the Company’s public reports filed with the Securities and Exchange Commission, including the Company’s Annual Report on Form 10-K for the fiscal year ended January 31, 2003, as amended, and the Quarterly Reports on Form 10Q for the period(s) ended April 30, 2003, July 31, 2003, October 31, 2003, filed with the Securities and Exchange Commission. We caution you not to place undue reliance on forward-looking statements, which reflect an analysis only and speak only as of the date hereof. TiVo disclaims any obligation to update these forward-looking statements.

TiVo, Season Pass, WishList, TiVo Basic are registered trademarks of TiVo Inc. in the United States and other jurisdictions. All other company or product names mentioned may be trademarks or registered trademarks of the respective companies with which they are associated.
post #13 of 498 Old 01-09-2004, 08:31 AM

Location: Ormond Beach (Daytona Beach suburb, Orlando viewing area)
Quote:
Originally posted by rich21
The PQ of any given show varies by the intent of the director, the medium its shot on (film vs video) and the station. Since
Ironically, I was thinking the other day how soft most of Discovery-HD programming was compared to HDNet! Although HDNet has a 'soft' sitcom or two.

The Young & the Restless is the worst offender. It is extremely soft!

By the way, DirecTV talks about O&O markets in some of their press releases. What is O&O?

JD
post #14 of 498 Old 01-09-2004, 08:35 AM

O&O = Owned & Operated.

A CBS O&O market is a market where the local CBS affiliate is owned and operated by CBS. The Orlando CBS and FOX affiliates are NOT O&O. I believe the FOX affiliate in Tampa IS O&O.
post #15 of 498 Old 01-09-2004, 08:37 AM

[quote]Originally posted by Doctor52
[b]Ironically, I was thinking the other day how soft most of Discovery-HD programming was compared to HDNet! Although HDNet has a 'soft' sitcom or two.

The Young & the Restless is the worst offender. It is extremely soft!

Interesting comment on that, I typically see an issue with the local TV stations, 2 and 9 are dark and almost dreary during live newscasts, where 6 and 35 are bright and beautiful.

6 almost looks HD at times where you can see pinstripes in the anchors suits, 2 is by far the worst where Wendy Chogi's hair is almost imposssible to differentiate between backgrounds.
post #16 of 498 Old 01-09-2004, 08:38 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by avNeophyte
O&O = Owned & Operated.

A CBS O&O market is a market where the local CBS affiliate is owned and operated by CBS. The Orlando CBS and FOX affiliates are NOT O&O. I believe the FOX affiliate in Tampa IS O&O.
In this event would they offer us that National feed?
post #17 of 498 Old 01-09-2004, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Barry928
Dave,

Nice to see Frank T. confirm our suspicions about the multi path ghosting error.

Do you think your antenna type is a wide UHF pickup pattern or already narrow?

If you are using a narrow antenna would increasing the primary signal strength help to reject the delayed signals?
Barry,
My antenna is a R.Shack VU-120 XR. The UHF section has 10 elements with what I think might be called a corner reflector. My guess is a fairly wide UHF pattern since it did not drop 6.1 easily when I experimented with different azimuth angles. Here is a link to the RS page describing it. http://www.radioshack.com/product.as...t%5Fid=15-2154
Of course the issue looks to be not power but ghosting and since I am only about 16 miles from the transmitter I am likely to have enough power even with a tree in my line of sight.

I doubt if an increase in the primary signal strength would help since it would also likely increase the power of the reflected ghost. I need to research UHF antenna patterns and see what others have done to solve these kind of problems. I used to know an "old timer" RF expert and I may see if I can get in touch with him.

DrDave
post #18 of 498 Old 01-09-2004, 08:49 AM

Basically, you can get the national feed for a particular network (assuming they have it) if you meet either of the following conditions:

1. All of your local affiliates for that network are O&O. Depending on where you live you might be in the DMA of multiple affiliates (I believe you can check this out on D* web site) and all must be O&O, OR

2. All of your local non-O&O affiliates grant you a waiver to receive the national feed. We are more likely to receive a foot of snow here in Orlando this afternoon that an non-O&O is to give you a waiver. That affects their ad revenue since, presumably, you would no longer be watching their ads.
post #19 of 498 Old 01-09-2004, 09:23 AM
AVS Special Member

I believe WRBW and WOFL are both owned by FOX.

post #20 of 498 Old 01-09-2004, 10:00 AM

I believe Barry is correct, WOFL is a Fox O&O. My mistake. It wasn't in an earlier list of FOX O&O affiliates that I saw. Apparently WOGX-51 in Ocala is a FOX O&O as well.
post #21 of 498 Old 01-09-2004, 11:20 AM
AVS Special Member

I wonder if this announcement from DirecTv means that I would have a choice of over the air from WOFL-DT or I can take the FOX network HD feed via New York FOX affiliate uplinked through DirecTv. I would only consider this option if I could get a 720p HD feed from FOX this fall assuming that WOFL stays 1080i when the network switches formats from 480i to 720p.

post #22 of 498 Old 01-09-2004, 11:32 AM

new member question: I've been considering upgrading from analog
BH cable to their HD service. Is there anything additional in the
installation beyond replacing the analog box?
post #23 of 498 Old 01-09-2004, 11:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Dave,

I see that Winegard sells antenna model HD-7210 called the "ghost killer". You can see from the attached pdf file that the polar pickup pattern is very narrow.

hd7210p.pdf 54.80859375k . file

post #24 of 498 Old 01-09-2004, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Barry928
I wonder if this announcement from DirecTv means that I would have a choice of over the air from WOFL-DT or I can take the FOX network HD feed via New York FOX affiliate uplinked through DirecTv. I would only consider this option if I could get a 720p HD feed from FOX this fall assuming that WOFL stays 1080i when the network switches formats from 480i to 720p.
I got the impression that it may be an "EVENT-ORIENTED" telecast. But it is so vague that it's difficult to tell. Otherwise, CBS is giving a blanket waiver to the areas that it services with O&O stations. Unfortunately, Orlando is not one of them. I got the impression that FOX will telecast initially in 480P and migrate to 1080i.
Robbie:( :D :confused:
post #25 of 498 Old 01-09-2004, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by chan chan
new member question: I've been considering upgrading from analog
BH cable to their HD service. Is there anything additional in the
installation beyond replacing the analog box?
Nope, when I did it I added two extra boxes and the HD tier and they only charged me an extra $10! There is no charge for box to box replacement as long as you already have the digital service in place.

-=≡£σu≡=-
post #26 of 498 Old 01-09-2004, 05:31 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Robbie,

FOX is supposed to begin HD broadcasts in the fall in 720p. A number of FOX sports broadcast are in DD5.1, hopefully they will continue that as well. What WOFL does remains to be seen but since they are an 0&0 station I would image they will be forced to go to 720p sometime before fall.
post #27 of 498 Old 01-09-2004, 06:08 PM

Hey Rich. Well, if silent prayer works.....................

Robbie
post #28 of 498 Old 01-09-2004, 07:43 PM

Quote:
Nope, when I did it I added two extra boxes and the HD tier and they only charged me an extra $10! There is no charge for box to box replacement as long as you already have the digital service in place.
Thanx LouK. So I take it that just calling, subscribing to the digital + HD
tier & picking up a box at a local BH place ( or getting it delivered) is all it
takes. Now we'll see if they can provide one with DVI output...:D
post #29 of 498 Old 01-09-2004, 07:55 PM

Anyone know if I order NBATV through BHN will I get the HD games also or will I have to order INHD also?
post #30 of 498 Old 01-10-2004, 03:28 PM

I have had problems getting WESH(2-1) and FOX(35-1) from my OTA antenna in Indian Harbor Beach the last few days. Is anyone else having problems in Melbourne? I'm using a Toshiba DST3000 and a roof antenna.

Fleming
IHB
Closed Thread Local HDTV Info and Reception

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page