Grand Rapids, MI - HDTV - Page 269 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #8041 of 8046 Old 07-11-2014, 06:26 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I agree with your analysis. I dealt with some of the same signal levels in my former house. You'll need an outdoor antenna for any success. Wish I had better news!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #8042 of 8046 Old 07-11-2014, 06:37 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Is the height of the outdoor antenna critical or does it just need to be outside so it is not shielded be the siding, roofing, etc.? I have a shed near the house that would be much easier to install an antenna on but is much lower than the roof of the 1-1/2 story house.
post #8043 of 8046 Old 07-17-2014, 03:59 AM

Well, of course, the higher you have your antenna the better signal reception you are going to have. I am on the Northwest side of Kalamazoo and have an antenna on my single story ranch house, perhaps total height is 15 to 18 feet and I get all those offered in my area, including WZZM, with my OTA setup. Of course I have a very good mid-range antenna.
post #8044 of 8046 Old 08-07-2014, 12:56 PM
TV8

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quick Guide to Antennas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rduce View Post
Well, of course, the higher you have your antenna the better signal reception you are going to have. I am on the Northwest side of Kalamazoo and have an antenna on my single story ranch house, perhaps total height is 15 to 18 feet and I get all those offered in my area, including WZZM, with my OTA setup. Of course I have a very good mid-range antenna.

In the Grand Rapids area there are 4 major stations that are VHF. That is unusual. So, unusual you will see "digital antennas" marketed all over the internet that are actually UHF antennas. This is because most major markets are all UHF. In the Grand Rapids-Kalamazoo-Battle Creek-Holland -Muskegon area you will need an outside antenna preferably 25 feet above ground. That antenna can be of 2 types, a rotor and VHF/UHF antenna, or an "area special". For VHF reception make sure you are using a boom and spoke type antenna. Round or winged antennas or any others that are marked as amplified digital antennas do not work well with VHF signals (3, 8, 13 and 35). There is no such thing as a "digital antenna", we still broadcast an RF signal that is just modulated differently than the old analog days. RF is RF and there is no difference in the antennas. In the Muskegon area you will easily pickup 13 but may have trouble with 3 and 8. The only solution there is to go higher with the antenna. As you approach the lake shore from Holland to Ludington you may have problems picking channel 3, RF channel 8, this due to interference from the PBS station across the lake in Milwaukee. If this is happening to you the best solution is to finely tune the direction of your antenna to minimize channel 8 Milwaukee while still receiving channel 8 virtual 3, Kalamazoo. It helps to have a higher gain antenna with a good front to back ratio. Also, this is a situation where antenna height may be a disadvantage. Have the antenna as low as possible, while still picking up your local channels. One last thing to watch out for is a mast mounted pre-amp. They are not needed for VHF if the RG 6 cable is less than 100 feet, and can cause a great deal of problems if you are close to an FM station's tower. The amp will overload and you will lose channels 3 and 8. If you need additional signal to feed multiple TVs, then use an amplified splitter in the house. These are made to have about 7 db of gain on each outlet and are designed to make up for cable and splitter losses only.

Mike L.

Last edited by TV8; 08-07-2014 at 01:00 PM.
post #8045 of 8046 Old 08-07-2014, 08:18 PM

I am located just north of Hastings right on M37 and am looking to put an antenna up in the next week or so. I have been looking into the Hd Stacker, I am on a hill and will be mounting it on a 40' tower I have setup for wimax internet. Is this antenna going to be a good match for my location or should I look into other alternatives? I am hoping my height combined with the right antenna will mean I do not have to go through the extra hassle of a rotator.

My HT
Optoma HD33
120" Elite ultra white screen
Denon 4311
Panasonic bd210
SVS PB12 plus/2
post #8046 of 8046 Old 08-11-2014, 09:17 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
I'm at a location in GR where the WOOD and WWMT transmitters (which transmit on VHF 7 and 8 respectively) at compass headings (clockwise from True North) of 160 and 167 degrees respectively. Based on this chart, with a single-channel Yagi (designed to pull in channel VHF 8) in the attic (thus UNDERNEATH the roofing) aimed at a heading of 163.5 degrees, would I be able to reliably pull both WOOD and WWMT on that single Yagi? I suspect I would need separate Yagi antennae for WZZM and WGVU, each single-channel Yagi models tuned to 13 & 11 respectively and pointed approx. NNW and WNW respectively?
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page