Grand Rapids, MI - HDTV - Page 270 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

post #8071 of 8080 Old 08-06-2015, 02:13 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Channel 2012 View Post
They're better than ever and about as good as it gets as far as cable companies go. Internet access has been upgraded for most neighborhoods from 20Mbps to 60Mbps and they're even giving out DOCSIS 3 compliant cablemodems now free of rent as long as you stay with them. TV service is okay, but there's no more unencrypted analog or digital channels, so everyone is forced to rent a cable box. Stability in general has been excellent as well with no noteworthy outages.

If you've already got an antenna that picks up most of the networks you want, I'd skip the television service and just go with Charter's internet and telephone. For any TV you do want to watch, the Genesis addon for XBMC on your home theater computer fully makes up for that with availability and selection superior to Netflix streaming or Hulu.
Yep, been doing OTA antenna for 5 years with streaming services with a Win 7 Media Center PC. Love it. But my antenna is about dead so needs to be replaced and that will be pretty costly so looking at other options. I can get both Internet and TV from Charter for the same price I'm paying AT&T Uverse for just Internet so that seems like a no brainer assuming Charter service is good. And sounds like it is as you confirm some other things I've heard.

Thanks for the info!

Also looks like Charter does support cable cards so getting a Tivo at some point sounds like it's an option. Would cost no more then Charter's HD DVR rental fees.

Scott
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #8072 of 8080 Old 08-06-2015, 08:50 PM

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by bonscott87 View Post
Wow, been months since we've had a post here. That's either good or bad. LOL

My question is for Charter users out there, specifically in the Kzoo/Portage area.
How is Charter these days? Internet solid? TV service not go out every time it drizzles? My experience with them is from 15 years ago and they were terrible. I've heard they are much better now but wanted to see what people think.

I cut the cord 5 years ago and have an OTA rooftop antenna. Between recent storms and rust (over 30 years old) it's about done with and replacing it with installation isn't cheap so I've been shopping around. I have Uverse for Internet now and adding TV there is an option but they *still* don't have have The CW so that's a non-starter plus they aren't cheap. Charter though has a deal for $60 that includes both Internet (at triple the Uverse speed) and TV for $5 cheaper then Uverse for Internet alone. No contracts. So when it goes up in a couple years I either get a deal or cut 'em and play Charter and AT&T against each other, or cut the cord again.

So Charter seems like a pretty decent deal, just looking to see what people's experience with them lately is.
The way I see it is: The last antenna setup lasted 30 years. A new setup is a 1 time cost. Grant it, it's up front. But if you are happy with the programming you have now, it's a 1 time cost that will pay for itself in the long run. Just my 2 cents (I miss that key).
post #8073 of 8080 Old 08-07-2015, 04:42 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dominic26 View Post
The way I see it is: The last antenna setup lasted 30 years. A new setup is a 1 time cost. Grant it, it's up front. But if you are happy with the programming you have now, it's a 1 time cost that will pay for itself in the long run. Just my 2 cents (I miss that key).
Very true. I think my plan is to get the good deal for now, then if the rate jacks up and I can't keep a good deal I'll save up money in the meantime to get a new antenna setup. And I got my Internet switched to Charter which I would keep since it sounds like it's really good now (plus 3 times faster and $10 cheaper regular price to Uverse).

We'll see how it goes. Install scheduled for next Saturday. After 5 years of no cable I almost feel dirty getting it again. LOL But...no extra cost to me there really is no reason not to get it for now, until the cost jacks up.

Thanks guys for the info, just what I wanted.

Scott
post #8074 of 8080 Old 08-07-2015, 09:25 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Charter changed their policy recently. Now, once your promotion is up, you pay full price. No more negotiating a cheaper price for existing customers.
post #8075 of 8080 Old 08-12-2015, 08:30 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
I currently have an indoor antenna and can pick up FOX, ABC and NBC with my current indoor antenna. However, I was wondering if it is at all possible to get CBS with an indoor antenna. I am living in an apartment so an outdoor antenna is not an option. I was wondering if this antenna would pick up CBS? I currently live between Michigan and Lyon and Lafayette and College if that helps at all. I was wondering if switching to this type of antenna would work?

Amplified HDTV Antenna - 50 Miles Range, 1byone®

Or if there is an indoor antenna that would work please let me know. Thanks so much for your help.
post #8076 of 8080 Old 08-12-2015, 09:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by new2grandrapids View Post
I currently have an indoor antenna and can pick up FOX, ABC and NBC with my current indoor antenna. However, I was wondering if it is at all possible to get CBS with an indoor antenna. I am living in an apartment so an outdoor antenna is not an option. I was wondering if this antenna would pick up CBS? I currently live between Michigan and Lyon and Lafayette and College if that helps at all. I was wondering if switching to this type of antenna would work?

Or if there is an indoor antenna that would work please let me know. Thanks so much for your help.
All I can suggest is maybe take a look at http://antennaweb.org/address.aspx and see what it tells.
post #8077 of 8080 Old 08-12-2015, 10:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 10
P.S. I took a guesstimate of where you live and found this http://antennaweb.org/Stations.aspx?...Lon=-85.659002

Looks like it recommends a medium directional.
post #8078 of 8080 Old 08-13-2015, 04:41 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamakzie View Post
P.S. I took a guesstimate of where you live and found this
Looks like it recommends a medium directional.
Thanks for the help. I appreciate it.
post #8079 of 8080 Old 08-14-2015, 05:10 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I have a Mohu MH-110533 Sky antennae that is currently mounted in my garage attic. I want to move it to my roof (probably will mount it on my chimney) to see if I get better reception. Can I run the cable through the roof of my garage? If so, how do I seal it afterwards? Would moving it from the garage attic to the roof/chimney make any difference?

Here is the link to my TVFool info: http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...8e0351f50394cf
post #8080 of 8080 Old Today, 06:58 PM

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by new2grandrapids View Post

I input TVFool using an address on Google Maps in the center of your coordinates with the apt facing North and an antenna only 6 feet off of the ground, figuring this should be the worst possible scenerio. The North facing assumes the TV is at the front of the apt. What I came up with was this. http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...8e03917d180f9a . You should be able to get channel 3 with a decent indoor antenna. Go over to Rylee's Ace Hardware just East of the Michigan / Fuller intersection. One of the folks in there may be able to help you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception