Grand Rapids, MI - HDTV - Page 271 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

post #8101 of 8126 Old 12-07-2015, 11:51 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Are there any companies in the Kalamazoo area or that would service Kalamazoo that still sell and install OTA antennas and are recommended? A friend of mine needs an antenna since Comcast Xfinity he gets sucks.

Scott
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #8102 of 8126 Old 12-07-2015, 06:46 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Did WWMTDT2 go HD in the last few weeks?

Watching my recorded episodes of Flash and Arrow, and noticed the picture got noticeably clearer (and the audio got a lot quieter) starting in the episodes from about a month ago.

(EDIT: Nope.. Still 480p. They must've just tweaked their encoders when they added 3.3)

Last edited by millerbrad; 12-07-2015 at 07:02 PM.
post #8103 of 8126 Old 12-29-2015, 11:52 PM

Liked: 11
I have a Comcast Cablecard issue I hope someone can help with. My Cablecard can no longer detect the HD versions of at least 7 channels. These are Disney (230), WOOD (232), WWMT (233), CW (236), WOTV (237), ION (238), PBS (240). It's been going on for about a week. I got a new cablecard today and same thing. Many conversations with Comcast cablecard support. They have no idea why these stations cannot be detected. They are sending out a technician later this week. Using an HD homerun box.

Anyone else having this issue? I know this is usually an OTA forum. It's the only local forum for Grand Rapids & Kalamazoo video issues with TV Reception.

I live in the Kalamazoo area and we cannot pick up OTA broadcasts of the local stations since the towers are too far away. I've tried it with roof top antennas. Not seeking advice on that.

Thanks

Last edited by jkuchtaofmi; 12-30-2015 at 11:45 AM. Reason: more clarification
post #8104 of 8126 Old 12-31-2015, 05:51 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkuchtaofmi View Post
I live in the Kalamazoo area and we cannot pick up OTA broadcasts of the local stations since the towers are too far away. I've tried it with roof top antennas. Not seeking advice on that.

Thanks
I can't answer the Comcast question, I have Charter. But with a tech coming over that should hopefully fix it up for you. Have you had support "rehit" your card a couple times? I've read where that sometimes will get things going.

As for this quoted section, there generally is no problem at all with getting OTA with a rooftop antenna in Kalamazoo. Many do it including myself. Not too far from the towers at all. Heck, with a rotor you can pick up South Bend and Lansing as well. Possible you live down in a ravine or have multipath issues. But just wanted to post an FYI that there shouldn't be a problem outside of some extreme circumstances.

Scott
post #8105 of 8126 Old 12-31-2015, 10:57 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by TV8 View Post
In the Grand Rapids area there are 4 major stations that are VHF. That is unusual. So, unusual you will see "digital antennas" marketed all over the internet that are actually UHF antennas. This is because most major markets are all UHF. In the Grand Rapids-Kalamazoo-Battle Creek-Holland -Muskegon area you will need an outside antenna preferably 25 feet above ground. That antenna can be of 2 types, a rotor and VHF/UHF antenna, or an "area special". For VHF reception make sure you are using a boom and spoke type antenna. Round or winged antennas or any others that are marked as amplified digital antennas do not work well with VHF signals (3, 8, 13 and 35). There is no such thing as a "digital antenna", we still broadcast an RF signal that is just modulated differently than the old analog days. RF is RF and there is no difference in the antennas. In the Muskegon area you will easily pickup 13 but may have trouble with 3 and 8. The only solution there is to go higher with the antenna. As you approach the lake shore from Holland to Ludington you may have problems picking channel 3, RF channel 8, this due to interference from the PBS station across the lake in Milwaukee. If this is happening to you the best solution is to finely tune the direction of your antenna to minimize channel 8 Milwaukee while still receiving channel 8 virtual 3, Kalamazoo. It helps to have a higher gain antenna with a good front to back ratio. Also, this is a situation where antenna height may be a disadvantage. Have the antenna as low as possible, while still picking up your local channels. One last thing to watch out for is a mast mounted pre-amp. They are not needed for VHF if the RG 6 cable is less than 100 feet, and can cause a great deal of problems if you are close to an FM station's tower. The amp will overload and you will lose channels 3 and 8. If you need additional signal to feed multiple TVs, then use an amplified splitter in the house. These are made to have about 7 db of gain on each outlet and are designed to make up for cable and splitter losses only.
I know this is a very old entry, but it is exactly the information I was looking for over the last few hundred threads.

I live in Holland, MI by Holland State Park. We are using a Winegard HD8200U on a mast about 25 feet off the ground and pointed at 110 degrees magnetic. We have a Winegard AP8700 preamplifier installed due to the long cable run outside an inside the house. I have unplugged the preamplifier and lost many stations so I know it is effective; my estimated insertion loss from cable length, a 4-way splitter, and a 2-way splitter is 15.2 dB.

We currently receive RF channels 7, 11, 13, 19, 20, 24, 33, and 45. Having all the leaves down allows us to get 13 and 33 in the winter months, only. What can I do to get RF channel 8? My wife really wants to watch CBS. I have considered stacking on another Winegard HD8200U with a diplexer pointed in the same direction to boost my gain by 2.5-3 dB.

Do I have any other options besides a rotor, stacking on another matched antenna, or switching to a different antenna setup?

Thanks
Bob
post #8106 of 8126 Old 01-05-2016, 10:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonscott87 View Post
I can't answer the Comcast question, I have Charter. But with a tech coming over that should hopefully fix it up for you. Have you had support "rehit" your card a couple times? I've read where that sometimes will get things going.

As for this quoted section, there generally is no problem at all with getting OTA with a rooftop antenna in Kalamazoo. Many do it including myself. Not too far from the towers at all. Heck, with a rotor you can pick up South Bend and Lansing as well. Possible you live down in a ravine or have multipath issues. But just wanted to post an FYI that there shouldn't be a problem outside of some extreme circumstances.
The Comcast tech came over a few days ago and resolved my Cable Card issue. There was a kink in the cable feed to my HDhomerun box. The cable was bent because the heavy desk it sits behind was pushing up against the cable. He also indicated that I had the wrong kind of spliter. Comcast requires a 5 - 1002 mhz spliter and not a 5 - 1000 mhz. They apparently need that last 2 mhz. Rescanned all the channels after changing all this out and I went from 322 channels to 428 channels. Everything works great now. Learned a lot from the Comcast tech. They do have a few good people working for them.
post #8107 of 8126 Old 01-05-2016, 10:57 PM

Quote:

The Comcast tech came over a few days ago and resolved my Cable Card issue. There was a kink in the cable feed to my HDhomerun box. The cable was bent because the heavy desk it sits behind was pushing up against the cable. He also indicated that I had the wrong kind of spliter. Comcast requires a 5 - 1002 mhz spliter and not a 5 - 1000 mhz. They apparently need that last 2 mhz. Rescanned all the channels after changing all this out and I went from 322 channels to 428 channels. Everything works great now. Learned a lot from the Comcast tech. They do have a few good people working for them.
post #8108 of 8126 Old 01-06-2016, 06:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkuchtaofmi View Post
Maybe not so good. That 2 MHz thing is just a load of BS, that is not how splitters work. A splitter rated to 1000MHz works just fine with a 1002 MHz signal. Now if you needed to split 2500MHz like satellite that would be different, the signal losses would increase as you moved to the higher frequencies. Are you sure he did not tell you 2000MHz was needed?
post #8109 of 8126 Old 01-06-2016, 07:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by texasbrit View Post
Maybe not so good. That 2 MHz thing is just a load of BS, that is not how splitters work. A splitter rated to 1000MHz works just fine with a 1002 MHz signal. Now if you needed to split 2500MHz like satellite that would be different, the signal losses would increase as you moved to the higher frequencies. Are you sure he did not tell you 2000MHz was needed?
You are probably right, the 2 mhz probably does not make much difference. They gave me the new spliter for free. The new splitter does say 5 - 1002 mhz, so does a 2nd one I got from a different Comcast source. They (Comcast) really like the 1002 mhz rated splitters.

The bent cable was probably the real issue. I am just reporting what the Comcast tech reported. Thanks for the feedback!

Last edited by jkuchtaofmi; 01-06-2016 at 07:22 AM.
post #8110 of 8126 Old 01-07-2016, 06:37 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by skis3 View Post
I know this is a very old entry, but it is exactly the information I was looking for over the last few hundred threads.

I live in Holland, MI by Holland State Park. We are using a Winegard HD8200U on a mast about 25 feet off the ground and pointed at 110 degrees magnetic. We have a Winegard AP8700 preamplifier installed due to the long cable run outside an inside the house. I have unplugged the preamplifier and lost many stations so I know it is effective; my estimated insertion loss from cable length, a 4-way splitter, and a 2-way splitter is 15.2 dB.

We currently receive RF channels 7, 11, 13, 19, 20, 24, 33, and 45. Having all the leaves down allows us to get 13 and 33 in the winter months, only. What can I do to get RF channel 8? My wife really wants to watch CBS. I have considered stacking on another Winegard HD8200U with a diplexer pointed in the same direction to boost my gain by 2.5-3 dB.

Do I have any other options besides a rotor, stacking on another matched antenna, or switching to a different antenna setup?

Thanks
Bob
Bob,

The post you found, suggests staying away from the preamp at the antenna

"As you approach the lake shore from Holland to Ludington you may have problems picking channel 3, RF channel 8, this due to interference from the PBS station across the lake in Milwaukee. If this is happening to you the best solution is to finely tune the direction of your antenna to minimize channel 8 Milwaukee while still receiving channel 8 virtual 3, Kalamazoo. It helps to have a higher gain antenna with a good front to back ratio. Also, this is a situation where antenna height may be a disadvantage. Have the antenna as low as possible, while still picking up your local channels. One last thing to watch out for is a mast mounted pre-amp. They are not needed for VHF if the RG 6 cable is less than 100 feet, and can cause a great deal of problems if you are close to an FM station's tower. The amp will overload and you will lose channels 3 and 8."

When I needed to split the signal more and runs became longer I bought this http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...sr_1_7&s=tv&sr and mounted it in an outside utility box (bought at the same time) on the side of my house. It boosts the signal at the splitter without amplifying the signal. This particular one comes in a 1, 2, 4, or 8 ports. I needed 6 ports so I bought the 8 and capped the two I don't use with terminators. I am on the NE side of GR and hardly ever need to use my rotator in order to get ch's 13 and 35. All this feeds two TVs, 3 FM receivers and a HD Homerun (dual tuner)

Good Luck,
Dominic
post #8111 of 8126 Old 01-09-2016, 11:44 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
NW Kalamazoo County, MI - Possible Cutting Cord

Thinking about cutting the cord. Looks like I might have to go to an attic mounted antenna according to TV Fool.

http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...51349fffa0815d

I've attached a view looking due north. You can see to the right a maple tree silhouette. To the right of that is a row of about 8 large blue spruce which have a row of Lombardi Poplars behind it. I am standing on the deck of the house which is a walkout. Behind me is the house that is about 24' wide all windows and a 10' cathedral ceiling. 24' back from that is where the attic starts. I thought about getting a Winegard Fl5500a and just see what happens. Basically all I care about is ABC, CBS, Fox and NBC and would be distributing it to 2 TVs and most likely a 3rd and rarely a 4th (if ever and it would be the floor below the 3rd).

Main TV is a 4K TV connected to an Denon AVR4000. Has a Roku connected to it too. Would probably do a DVR setup as well.

Looking for your thoughts on what approach to take. I would have no problem mounting it up on the wall above the windows in the cathedral ceiling part rather than fishing stuff up to the attic.

Thanks in advance
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	view.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	780.8 KB
ID:	1174546  
post #8112 of 8126 Old 01-10-2016, 06:48 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbofoxman View Post
Thinking about cutting the cord. Looks like I might have to go to an attic mounted antenna according to TV Fool.

http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...51349fffa0815d

I've attached a view looking due north. You can see to the right a maple tree silhouette. To the right of that is a row of about 8 large blue spruce which have a row of Lombardi Poplars behind it. I am standing on the deck of the house which is a walkout. Behind me is the house that is about 24' wide all windows and a 10' cathedral ceiling. 24' back from that is where the attic starts. I thought about getting a Winegard Fl5500a and just see what happens. Basically all I care about is ABC, CBS, Fox and NBC and would be distributing it to 2 TVs and most likely a 3rd and rarely a 4th (if ever and it would be the floor below the 3rd).

Main TV is a 4K TV connected to an Denon AVR4000. Has a Roku connected to it too. Would probably do a DVR setup as well.

Looking for your thoughts on what approach to take. I would have no problem mounting it up on the wall above the windows in the cathedral ceiling part rather than fishing stuff up to the attic.

Thanks in advance
It really all depends on how far from the towers you really are. The main tower farm for the local stations is at Gun Lake. According to the link you provided most of the main towers are between 20 and 30 miles from you, Ion is 45 miles. Also note that they would be more North East to East of your location, not due north.

In my experience in the Kzoo area one of those flat antennas that attach to your TV or you put by a window just isn't enough, we're too far from the towers. You'll need an attic antenna at the least if not one up on your roof. I'm in a Cape Code style house north of the airport and I have a 10 foot antenna on my roof to get all the channels. With a flat antenna or attic I only get a couple channels and they aren't solid. I also have a booster as well or else I can't get anything in. So long as you don't mind doing it a roof mounted antenna is your best bet. And might as well get a rotor so you can swing it around and get South Bend or Lansing stations too if you'd like at certain times (like a football game that's on CBS in South Bend might be one you'd rather watch then then one on our CBS).

Hope that helps.

Scott
post #8113 of 8126 Old 01-20-2016, 11:58 AM

Looks like 41.3 (Grit TV) just got added to the OTA lineup.
post #8114 of 8126 Old 01-21-2016, 06:00 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by millerbrad View Post
Looks like 41.3 (Grit TV) just got added to the OTA lineup.
Yep, saw it in testing for a couple weeks now. I just got a Tivo Bolt right after New Year's and it picked up 41.3 on a scan but had no guide data. Last night it had preliminary guide data of "upcoming" so official launch date should be near but you can watch stuff now.

Also looks like WOOD changed 8.3 from weather radar to the LAFF channel. Looks like it's a sitcom channel. Ended up watching an old episode of Night Court last night. LOL And 3.3 is Comet TV, a sci-fi channel but we've had that for a couple months.

Now I just wish I could get in WXSP for Cozi TV, I can't get in 15 from GR nor the local Kzoo repeater which is channel 50. I don't know if TV8 still watches this forum but it would be great if you could turn up the power on channel 50 so it was more then an LED light bulb.

For a cord cutter there are just tons of stuff OTA to watch, good times.

Scott
post #8115 of 8126 Old 01-21-2016, 06:05 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I should add, the Tivo Bolt is amazing. Very fast, love the guide and that I actually have guide data for all the subchannels. Rovi guide that used for WMC now and Channel Master still is missing a number of subchannels. Worth it to pay for the Tivo.

Also lots of streaming options built in. Netflix, Amazon (and Prime), Hulu, Vudu all there and you can setup a "One Pass" which totally integrates all of them (you can choose which services you get). So for example I can setup a One Pass for an old show Emergency for my wife. It'll record episodes that broadcast on MeTV and show all the ones available on Netflix all in one listing and if you choose a Netflix episode it'll just start playing just like your recorded episode. Very nice.

I still do have Charter cable until the initial deal runs out this summer. I could get a cable card but I'm not going to bother with it as I plan to dumb the cable package and go back to just Internet anyway.

Now if SlingTV would come to Tivo I'd be all set.

Scott
post #8116 of 8126 Old 01-21-2016, 07:16 AM

Quote:
Yep, saw it in testing for a couple weeks now. I just got a Tivo Bolt right after New Year's and it picked up 41.3 on a scan but had no guide data. Last night it had preliminary guide data of "upcoming" so official launch date should be near but you can watch stuff now.
41.3 has guide data in SageTV via SchedulesDirect, so it should probably show up soon.

Now if only these new subchannels would broadcast 16:9 video. Not really applicable to LAFF, since it's mostly just old sitcoms. But the movies Comet shows are 4:3 transfers pillarboxed in 16:9, and GritTV is 4:3 transfers broadcast in 4:3. Even if it's 480i, WWMT has (finally) shown that 16:9 content in 480i can actually look pretty decent with their CW station.
post #8117 of 8126 Old 01-22-2016, 05:43 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

FYI that guide data started for GRIT at 7 pm last night on my Tivo.

Scott
post #8118 of 8126 Old 01-24-2016, 07:13 AM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Oh WOW! I'm new to this forum I have been posting in the HTPC area and just discovered that I can network with people from my own area about OTA. I could definitely benefit from your advice and experiences as to what to buy. The people I don't know where to start. These are my results from TVFool. I know the people using the TVs here probably wouldn't mess with rotators, so I need to keep that in mind which may mean more than one antenna.

Thanks TONS!
post #8119 of 8126 Old 01-24-2016, 09:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 22
You need to tell us what stations are on your "must have" list.
post #8120 of 8126 Old 01-25-2016, 05:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by texasbrit View Post
You need to tell us what stations are on your "must have" list.
Coming from cable, I don't know the channels very well and which are the HD versions but this is a list:
WOOD TV Channel 8 NBC
WZZM Channel 13 ABC
WWMT Channel 3 CBS
WGVU Channel 35 PBS
WOTV Channel 41 ABC
WTLJ Channel: Digital - 54.1, 54.2, 54.3 TCT
WLLA Channel 64.2 MeTV

Thanks!
PS: I noticed that some area stations stream over the Internet also now, TCT being one of them.

Last edited by Mad Jack; 01-25-2016 at 05:15 AM. Reason: More information
post #8121 of 8126 Old 01-25-2016, 10:29 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Jack View Post
Coming from cable, I don't know the channels very well and which are the HD versions but this is a list:
WOOD TV Channel 8 NBC
WZZM Channel 13 ABC
WWMT Channel 3 CBS
WGVU Channel 35 PBS
WOTV Channel 41 ABC
WTLJ Channel: Digital - 54.1, 54.2, 54.3 TCT
WLLA Channel 64.2 MeTV

Thanks!
PS: I noticed that some area stations stream over the Internet also now, TCT being one of them.
I'm over by Cornerstone University. I have a medium antenna mounted on my roof with a rotator. It works perfect. I use it for TV and FM radio. I have had the antenna and rotator for 20 yrs going back to my days in Rhode Island so you see it can last a long time. I use the rotator more when I listen to FM radio, although that can change from location to location. I get channels 3, 8, 13, 15, 17, 35, 41, 43, 54, and 64 plus all their sub channels for a total of 34 channels. Hope this helps.
Dominic
post #8122 of 8126 Old 01-25-2016, 04:53 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
It really all depends on how far from the towers you really are. The main tower farm for the local stations is at Gun Lake. According to the link you provided most of the main towers are between 20 and 30 miles from you, Ion is 45 miles. Also note that they would be more North East to East of your location, not due north.

In my experience in the Kzoo area one of those flat antennas that attach to your TV or you put by a window just isn't enough, we're too far from the towers. You'll need an attic antenna at the least if not one up on your roof. I'm in a Cape Code style house north of the airport and I have a 10 foot antenna on my roof to get all the channels. With a flat antenna or attic I only get a couple channels and they aren't solid. I also have a booster as well or else I can't get anything in. So long as you don't mind doing it a roof mounted antenna is your best bet. And might as well get a rotor so you can swing it around and get South Bend or Lansing stations too if you'd like at certain times (like a football game that's on CBS in South Bend might be one you'd rather watch then then one on our CBS).

Hope that helps.
Borrowed a friends Clearstream 2V and just have it sitting here in the living room on top of a chair. pointing north. I found 41 channels from my location.

Is WXMI really only 720? WWMT, WOOD and WOTV all come in at 1080.
post #8123 of 8126 Old 01-25-2016, 08:14 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbofoxman View Post
Borrowed a friends Clearstream 2V and just have it sitting here in the living room on top of a chair. pointing north. I found 41 channels from my location.

Is WXMI really only 720? WWMT, WOOD and WOTV all come in at 1080.
Excellent, you must be just far enough north. Always worth a try.

Yes, WXMI is 720p. Fox has always been 720p and still is today. ABC also is 720p but WOTV may be 1080i since WOOD (NBC) actually runs the station and NBC (and CBS) are 1080i.

Scott
post #8124 of 8126 Old 01-30-2016, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dominic26 View Post
I'm over by Cornerstone University. I have a medium antenna mounted on my roof with a rotator....I get channels 3, 8, 13, 15, 17, 35, 41, 43, 54, and 64 plus all their sub channels for a total of 34 channels...I use the rotator more when I listen to FM radio, although that can change from location to location.
I'd like to see that here at Lamar Park without rotating. I don't have anything with a digital tuner at the moment to test with.
post #8125 of 8126 Old 01-31-2016, 04:58 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Jack View Post
I'd like to see that here at Lamar Park without rotating. I don't have anything with a digital tuner at the moment to test with.
There are times when I have have to use the rotator on 13, 15, 35 and 43. Not often, but like I said, each location is different.
post #8126 of 8126 Old Today, 05:33 PM

New OTA subchannels showing up for me tonight.

15.3: ESCAPE (480i 4:3)
41.2: getTV (480i 4:3)
Moved to 41.4: Radar (480i 16:9)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception