Grand Rapids, MI - HDTV - Page 272 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
post #8131 of 8157 Unread 04-30-2016, 06:11 PM
TV8

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gassy56 View Post
A question for TV8. WXSP in Kalamazoo on 50 has no guide data. Are there plans to add that in the future? Also, my Samsung Smart TV ids the channels as 50.3, 50.4, and 50.5. My cheapie Insignia ids them correctly as 50.1, 50.2, and 50.3. Any idea why the Samsung is wrong?
Call WOOD TV and ask for the Chief Engineer. I am recently retired from there so I can't help you. The multiplexer at those sites are quite old and quide data drops out. I doubt those stations will be around much longer than next year. They will probably be put into the spectrum auction currently going on with the FCC.

Mike L.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #8132 of 8157 Unread 04-30-2016, 06:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TV8 View Post
Call WOOD TV and ask for the Chief Engineer. I am recently retired from there so I can't help you. The multiplexer at those sites are quite old and quide data drops out. I doubt those stations will be around much longer than next year. They will probably be put into the spectrum auction currently going on with the FCC.
Thank you for the reply. The PSIP data showed up a couple days ago and now the Samsung tv correctly ids it as 50.1, 50.2, and 50.3. Programming guide data is there also. I had contacted them a week or so after my post here and the CE replied they would look into it. Took a couple weeks or so to work again, but it might have involved replacement equipment, re-licensing, or a body to get to Kalamazoo.
post #8133 of 8157 Unread 06-20-2016, 09:08 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Grand Rapids, MI

Cascade/Forest Hills
Hi. Have not posted for a while but just wanted to mention the problem am having. I've had OTA for about 7 years. I had the 3-element antenna area special called Royal 17 by AntennaCraft. Last year, my antenna man convinced me to upgrade to a 2-element. Overall it works fine but there are days (nice days at that) where 35, 3 and 13 are either pixellated or totally out - like yesterday.

The current setup has a preamp at the antenna.

Just wondering if anyone experiences what I experience and any suggestion to keep it stable. Thanks.
post #8134 of 8157 Unread 06-20-2016, 10:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 288 Post(s)
Liked: 94
Hi, tobybul

Please post a link to your tvfool report so that we can see what the signals look like at your location.

this where you do the report
http://www.tvfool.com/index.php?opti...pper&Itemid=29

the link is in bold type near the top of the report

your report should look something like this
http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...e2cb27520e4354

If you can not measure it, you can not improve it.
Lord Kelvin, 1883
www.megalithia.com/elect/aerialsite/dttpoorman.html

Last edited by rabbit73; 06-20-2016 at 11:00 AM.
post #8135 of 8157 Unread 06-20-2016, 10:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Last year, my antenna man convinced me to upgrade to a 2-element.
What does the "2-element" antenna look like?
Quote:
The current setup has a preamp at the antenna.
What preamp are you using?

What direction is the antenna aimed?

Quote:
35, 3 and 13 are either pixellated or totally out
What are the callsigns?

35, WGVU PBS, real channel 11, virtual channel 35.1, 279 degrees
3, WWMT CBS, real channel 8, virtual channel 3.1, 188 degrees
13, WZZM ABC, real channel 13, virtual channel 13.1, 322 degrees

Is that right?

Lord Kelvin, 1883

Last edited by rabbit73; 06-20-2016 at 11:02 AM.
post #8136 of 8157 Unread 06-20-2016, 11:47 AM
AVS Special Member

I see a lot of trees in your area; any in the signal paths?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	tobybulAVStrees.JPG
Views:	50
Size:	100.9 KB
ID:	1507153  

Lord Kelvin, 1883
post #8137 of 8157 Unread 06-24-2016, 11:25 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by rabbit73 View Post
I see a lot of trees in your area; any in the signal paths?
I'm not far from there, those trees are to his North. Channel 3 is to his South, almost a perfect 180 degrees. Channel 3 is 174 degrees for me, 35 is 262 and 13 is 323. His settings can not be far off from mine.
post #8138 of 8157 Unread 06-30-2016, 05:00 AM

Is anyone having issues with WOODTV this morning? actually I think it started late last night.... I'm getting a really low signal with no picture or very spotty reception.
post #8139 of 8157 Unread 06-30-2016, 05:22 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by kab123 View Post
Is anyone having issues with WOODTV this morning? actually I think it started late last night.... I'm getting a really low signal with no picture or very spotty reception.
Same here was bad enough that I was thinking I might need to climb the tower to check things out. Looks like it is on their end.

Optoma HD33
120" Elite ultra white screen
Denon 4311
INuke 3000
MiniDsp 2x4
SVS PB12 plus/2 & (2) SI HT18 in miniMartys
post #8140 of 8157 Unread 06-30-2016, 10:01 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 18
I was getting pixilation and freeze-ups on Charter cable as well.
post #8141 of 8157 Unread 07-01-2016, 08:12 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
It appears there were/are some atmospheric conditions affecting the WOOD signal.

http://aprs.mountainlake.k12.mn.us/

http://www.dxinfocentre.com/tropo.html
post #8142 of 8157 Unread 07-17-2016, 03:05 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 0
First post ... hoping for advice ...

Trying to get local channels (NBC, ABC, CBS, FOX) here in Wyoming Michigan and not having much luck at all. I tried the best indoor options from RCA Flat (17xx), a Terk Trinity and a ClearStream from Best Buy (which was the best). Did not try a Wineguard (saw at Home Depot) before I gave up to try to get smarter.

Found the TV Fool site and got a report confirming the distance is 31 miles or less (can't post a link to the report because I'm new).

I started with a 40 mile antenna thinking the Walmart a few miles away showed everything was 25 miles or less from the store. The others were 50 or 60 and all amplified and I could not get ABC ever, FOX always and the other two hit or miss. I'm guessing an indoor antenna isn't going to work at my house.

So then I got to thinking that I have an old DISH on my roof ... with a mounting pole and coax running in to the house. I could put an antenna on this I think.

Would that work? If so any ideas on a good antenna choice ... one that isn't "fussy" maybe???

Looking forward to feedback! Thanks in advance!!!
post #8143 of 8157 Unread 07-28-2016, 07:16 AM

Reuse of dish antenna mount and coax

Yes you can reuse the coax cable from your old dish antenna, and the mast your dish antenna is on (take the dish down if your not using it). I'm not from the GR area, so I'm not an expert (but I do get most the GR stations at my house between Lansing and Charlotte). Your CBS/CW and NBC stations are South of your location and are on VHF channels 7 and 8, and one of your ABC stations is Northwest of your location and is on VHF channel 13 (your other ABC station is SE and on UHF). If you have a old set of "rabbit ears" indoor antenna you could try them to pick up these three VHF stations indoors. If you put up an outside antenna you will want one that covers both VHF and UHF. There is one type of UHF antenna that also works on the higher VHF channels, some call it a "bow tie" antenna, and the smaller version of it has four bowties on it with a metal screen behind the bowties. That said it's a directional antenna and I'm not real sure your going to get all the stations in GR with that pointed in one direction from your location. If you put a rotor under it so you can move the antenna I bet that would work great for you. I think the local electronic supply house in GR is Bursma Electronics they may be able to help you with antenna choices.

The other stations in your market are all on UHF with PBS being NW of you I think, and Ion being SE. Your Fox station is also south of you near your CBS/CW and NBC stations.

You could try one of the Omni directional disk antennas on top of your mast outside. I bet that would work better than anything you have tried inside.

Hope this helps.
post #8144 of 8157 Unread 07-28-2016, 03:13 PM

NoBC with indoor antenna ...

I like reusing the mounting for sure!

Two weekends ago I tried 5 antennas ... the five best I could buy locally. By far the ClearStream model was best with 20 channels but no ABC anywhere. I have since discovered that a house with aluminum siding is going to be an issue ... my daughter in Milwaukee get all the channels with a really cheap RCA antenna but it seems like the towers are really close to her.

According to the ClearStream website the 2V model should get most everything (including ABC) and it is a multi-directional antenna. Maybe any antenna will work outside?

My dish pole is on the south west corner of the house ... 10' off the ground ... if I pointed an antenna towards the south east it would be facing a bunch of big trees.

Any ideas would be appreciated.
post #8145 of 8157 Unread 07-28-2016, 03:14 PM

Oops ...

Meant no ABC!
post #8146 of 8157 Unread 07-29-2016, 09:09 AM

Ten feet isn't up very high, but being outside should work better for you. I did some looking and it seems your PBS station is on channel 11 VHF, sorry I thought they were on UHF (I can't get that station from my house).

The trees shouldn't hurt you at all on the VHF stations, they could on UHF, but try with your current mast before trying to relocate it to another place to avoid the trees. I don't know what to tell you on your ABC options being your between the two stations. One option would be to get a separate high VHF antenna and point it at channel 13's tower and run a separate coax cable for that one antenna. One of the bowtie antennas pointed toward ABC WOTV on channel 20 may work fine for getting everything in that general direction.

The TV Fool web site should be able to tell you if WZZM channel 13 or WOTV channel 20 looks the easiest to get from your location.
post #8147 of 8157 Unread 07-29-2016, 03:30 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRJimbo View Post
I like reusing the mounting for sure!

Two weekends ago I tried 5 antennas ... the five best I could buy locally. By far the ClearStream model was best with 20 channels but no ABC anywhere. I have since discovered that a house with aluminum siding is going to be an issue ... my daughter in Milwaukee get all the channels with a really cheap RCA antenna but it seems like the towers are really close to her.

According to the ClearStream website the 2V model should get most everything (including ABC) and it is a multi-directional antenna. Maybe any antenna will work outside?

My dish pole is on the south west corner of the house ... 10' off the ground ... if I pointed an antenna towards the south east it would be facing a bunch of big trees.

Any ideas would be appreciated.
Have you tried running a report yet at ww.tvfool.com ? Post your results so we can see them. Also 10 feet is not very high. Height is not an issue for satellite since it is pointing into the sky. I ran tvfool reports in 2 to 3 spots in Wyoming. It shows some channels not having LOS, instead being 2 edge. In each case I raised the height to 20 ft off the ground and and all the stations went to LOS. Depending on where you are height may be your issue.

Dominic
post #8148 of 8157 Unread 07-29-2016, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dominic26 View Post
Have you tried running a report yet at ww.tvfool.com ? Post your results so we can see them. Also 10 feet is not very high. Height is not an issue for satellite since it is pointing into the sky. I ran tvfool reports in 2 to 3 spots in Wyoming. It shows some channels not having LOS, instead being 2 edge. In each case I raised the height to 20 ft off the ground and and all the stations went to LOS. Depending on where you are height may be your issue.

Dominic
The tvfool link is this ... tvfool.com/?option=com_wrapper&Itemid=29&q=id%3de2cbf361162c9 c

If I'm reading this right I should be look towards 148 degrees more or less to get ABC, NBC, CBS and FOX ... with ABC the hardest to get. The ClearStream Indoor Amplified pulled all but ABC. This was in the front of the house with a big window due north ... although I put all the indoor antennas I tried on a 25' coax and moved around the house.

I have a Dish mast on the roof right now and a cable running in to the basement ... this would be 10' off the ground. If I go at 148 degrees it is straight in to a big maple tree with a couple much bigger oaks behind that. If I point it north (mast on the west side of the house) I pretty much have a clear viewuntil the back yards across the street ... but those stations are all further down the list which I think is less likely to get.

I have a RCA ANT800F antenna (outdoor flat amplified) and a ClearStream 2V sitting on the table to try next. Thinking that getting outside of the aluminum siding could be a big difference.

Or maybe I'm chasing the wrong thing and should be getting the old school style antenna???
post #8149 of 8157 Unread 07-29-2016, 04:24 PM

TVFool link ..

I need one more post to include a link ...
post #8150 of 8157 Unread 07-29-2016, 04:26 PM

Full TVFool link ...

Here is the full TVFool link to my antenna report ... http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...e2cbf361162c9c

Basically I could not get either ABC station that are in the yellow section, I got all channels in the green section with the ClearStream indoor nicely.
post #8151 of 8157 Unread 07-30-2016, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dominic26 View Post
I'm over by Cornerstone University. I have a medium antenna mounted on my roof with a rotator. It works perfect. I use it for TV and FM radio. I have had the antenna and rotator for 20 yrs going back to my days in Rhode Island so you see it can last a long time. I use the rotator more when I listen to FM radio, although that can change from location to location. I get channels 3, 8, 13, 15, 17, 35, 41, 43, 54, and 64 plus all their sub channels for a total of 34 channels. Hope this helps.
Dominic
Dominic ... your reply earlier this year was to a person who lives 3-4 miles from me based on comparing TVFool reports (small world).

Question, when you say you have a "medium antenna" could you describe it based on something I could buy at say Home Depot or Menards or the like? Or maybe point me to a website to see what is working for you?

Lowes has a RCA ANT751R (I would think is small 'ish) and a 3037XR (7' long and 8' wide which I would call big).

Thanks in advance!!!
post #8152 of 8157 Unread 07-30-2016, 03:29 PM

Update!

I have a ClearStream 2v (from Best Buy) clamped to a chair on my front porch facing north ... and I'm getting ABC, NBC, CBS and FOX plus 19 other channels all clear with no pixilation!

I was thinking the antenna should be facing South and East according to TV Fool but what works works.

The ClearStream website tells me there are 10 more stations to be had, maybe mounting this on the old Dish mast will get those too ... although I can live without QVC I think.
post #8153 of 8157 Unread 07-31-2016, 07:21 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Dominic ... your reply earlier this year was to a person who lives 3-4 miles from me based on comparing TVFool reports (small world).

Question, when you say you have a "medium antenna" could you describe it based on something I could buy at say Home Depot or Menards or the like? Or maybe point me to a website to see what is working for you?

Lowes has a RCA ANT751R (I would think is small 'ish) and a 3037XR (7' long and 8' wide which I would call big).

Thanks in advance!!!
Jim,

What I have is your typical "old fashion" antenna that was common on rooftops since the 1950's. Medium just means the size of the elements. I had a LARGE Radio Shack I tried in RI that was almost 8 -10ft long! My problem back then was all the transmitters were NE of my location. I was at sea level with hills on the North and East of town and the ocean on the South. In those days I could only get a CT PBS station no matter what antenna I used, no Providence RI stations. Size only matters if distance is a problem.

More important is height. Some of your green is 1 and 2 edge, no Line of Sight (LOS). That means there is something (ie: ridge, hill, building etc) between your antenna and the transmitters. If you run your address again and increase the height to 20 ft I am willing to bet all those 1edge and 2edge stations become LOS and your NM (noise margin) goes up, all meaning a stronger signal. They may come in now, but when the weather changes you may see a difference. Look through some of the old posts. When it's cold and snowy will not be the time to increase your antenna's height. I am speaking from experience and the frustration of having been there.

The only reason I use the antenna I have, I've had it since the 90's. Long story short, it went into storage in 1999 for the Radio Shack and came into use when we moved to GR in 2008.

Dominic

Last edited by Dominic26; 07-31-2016 at 07:24 AM.
post #8154 of 8157 Unread 07-31-2016, 05:43 PM

Thans to all!!!

Between answers here and past posts I have OTA channels!

So this gets me to another question ... how does everyone know what is actually on these OTA channels?!

I'm hoping there is a website that I register on that I can mark the channels I actually receive and want to watch and then I can see a listing whenever I login.

Any suggestions on what works?
post #8155 of 8157 Unread 08-02-2016, 04:58 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

So this gets me to another question ... how does everyone know what is actually on these OTA channels?!

I'm hoping there is a website that I register on that I can mark the channels I actually receive and want to watch and then I can see a listing whenever I login.

Glad to help. As for the channels, the main are 3, 8, 13, 15, 17, 35, 41, 43, 54, and 64. Each has it's sub channels. I am on the way to work but can post some more info tomorrow for you.
post #8156 of 8157 Unread 08-02-2016, 05:47 AM

Quote:

TitanTV is a good TV listings site
post #8157 of 8157 Unread Today, 07:02 PM

Looks like the CW (WWMT 3.2) got updated to HD today...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception