New Hampshire - Comcast - Page 17 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #481 of 2507 Old 09-30-2004, 08:19 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
richm - I too am somwhat leary, although I doubt a new company would come in and reduce the number of channels we get. What i don't know is - since I'm not sure, but I don't think Comcast has a deal w/ HDNet - would the new company pick up the rights to Adelphia's deals that they already have in place? On the plus side, Comcast does have the NFL Netowrk w/ VOD. I'm assuming Comcast since they're all around us here in Merrimack.

As for Lost - looked fine here, but I had some audio drop-outs last night - anyone else?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #482 of 2507 Old 09-30-2004, 11:34 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Last night I was watching Hawaii on NBC-HD and the audio sync was off a bit.

I am still having audio problems with ABC-HD with regards to their using the L & R of the 5.1 audio for the stereo feed. I switch on the HT receiver and turn the volume way down (still too loud for the sleeping kids) and it's better. I wish they'd get their act together.

Later,
Kevin
post #483 of 2507 Old 09-30-2004, 12:01 PM
Advanced Member

kevin - did you try my contact there - I PMed you w/ info.
cameron
post #484 of 2507 Old 09-30-2004, 12:06 PM

Cameron, I've tried calling that contact at WMUR a few times but he doesn't seem to answer his phone.

I am disappointed because they seem so close... they finally got the synchronization down. All they need now is to fix the 5.1/stereo conversion and everything would be perfect.

Kevin
post #485 of 2507 Old 09-30-2004, 12:21 PM
Advanced Member

I've had more success emailing him
post #486 of 2507 Old 10-12-2004, 06:10 AM

I have a mits ws-65869 w/ a integrated qam. I tried to run a autoscan for hdtv stations but the autoscan causes my tv to lose power (not shut-off it loses power). Does anyone know what causes this? or does any know the channel numbers so I can input them manually or a way I can convert the adelphia channels to the integrated tuner?

Thank you
post #487 of 2507 Old 10-12-2004, 06:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Oh no! My HD channels right around FOXHD are breaking up as of the second hitter in the sox game! Am I the only one with this problem? the INHD/HDNETs and most of the movie channels are fine...I was watching 'Volcano' no issue at all up to the start of the game, game started, looked fine and then WHAM, all whacked out!
-Trouble
post #488 of 2507 Old 10-12-2004, 08:05 PM

sucks here too.
DJ
post #489 of 2507 Old 10-12-2004, 08:13 PM
Advanced Member

called FXT's #, got the news room & reported the problem to engineering @9pm...they fixed it. Unfortunately, sometimes it takes someone to report the problem to the station...don't know why they can't tell there's something wrong.

One problem though...they score didn't change from SD to HD
post #490 of 2507 Old 10-12-2004, 08:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Was fixed as of 9:15...Oh man not sure I like seein this in HD
-Trouble
post #491 of 2507 Old 10-13-2004, 08:38 AM

I had the problem as well, with all of the networks, plus some of the movie HD stations, so I don't think it was a Fox issue. I gave up and went to bed before it was fixed (it was 6-0, and I had a 6AM flight, so can I be forgiven?)
post #492 of 2507 Old 10-14-2004, 11:44 AM
AVS Special Member

richm: No, I'm sorry you cannot be forgiven for not sitting through the torture like the rest of us I also don't think it was Fox's problem...other channels were whacked out too. My boss who lives in Hudson also had the problem.

WMUR was just black last night during the debates!
-Trouble
post #493 of 2507 Old 10-14-2004, 03:49 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Troubleshooter

WMUR was just black last night during the debates!
-Trouble

Yeah, I noticed that too. I have my DVR set to record Lost, flipped over to check it and saw the blank screen at 8:00. At least I caught it in time to record the SD channel. Guess WMUR forgot they were supposed to broadcast on their HD channel...lol. Too bad we can't get the WCVB HD feed.
DJ
post #494 of 2507 Old 10-15-2004, 08:59 AM
Advanced Member

Contacted MUR. They said the problem was theirs. It's fixed (at least for now).
post #495 of 2507 Old 10-15-2004, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by perrycom
Contacted MUR. They said the problem was theirs. It's fixed (at least for now).

What's MUR's current power at ? I'm way up here in Bradford, Vt (05033) ,right on the NH border, but I'm at 800 feet. I have a roof top ant with roter and do manage to get some signal activity on channel 59 but it won't lock. I have an 811 (Dish) and it shows 40 to 49% with an occassional spike into the 50s & low 60s but not long enough to lock in.

I'm wondering that when the leaves fall and if they boost their power soon I'll be able to get it. Right now I get absolutly no OTA digital except Vt & NH PBS.

I have talked to WNNE and they hope to start testing digital on channel 25 next month. They said they will pass through all NBC HD programs.

WaltinVt

A moral wrong is not a civil right
post #496 of 2507 Old 10-16-2004, 07:10 AM

According to AntennaWeb, you need the strongest antenna out there with a preamp to get almost all of the HD stations. If you don't already have this combo, you may be out of luck. In looking at your listing for zip, 05033, I see where most of your channels are UHF. Here's the lisiting:
uhf - W38CB -- 38 - ABC - LITTLETON - NH
uhf - W15BK -- 15 - PBS - HANOVER - NH
uhf - WVTA -- 41 - PBS - WINDSOR - VT
uhf - WVTB -- 20 - PBS - ST. JOHNSBURY - VT
uhf - WNNE -- 31 - NBC - HARTFORD - VT
uhf - WLED -- 49 - PBS - LITTLETON - NH
vhf - WCAX --- 3 - CBS - BURLINGTON - VT

If your aerial is older and was set up more for VHF, you likely have a simple UHF array. There are some very high-end UHF antennas being made today. One I would look at if I were you is the Channel Master 4228 8-Bay. Channel Master also makes some nice preamps. Good luck in your efforts. Your problems are why I was ecstatic that Adelphia offered HD over the cable. I was not looking forward to the problems you're having.

Kevin
post #497 of 2507 Old 10-16-2004, 07:37 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by bresna
According to AntennaWeb, you need the strongest antenna out there with a preamp to get almost all of the HD stations. If you don't already have this combo, you may be out of luck. In looking at your listing for zip, 05033, I see where most of your channels are UHF. Here's the lisiting:
uhf - W38CB -- 38 - ABC - LITTLETON - NH
uhf - W15BK -- 15 - PBS - HANOVER - NH
uhf - WVTA -- 41 - PBS - WINDSOR - VT
uhf - WVTB -- 20 - PBS - ST. JOHNSBURY - VT
uhf - WNNE -- 31 - NBC - HARTFORD - VT
uhf - WLED -- 49 - PBS - LITTLETON - NH
vhf - WCAX --- 3 - CBS - BURLINGTON - VT

If your aerial is older and was set up more for VHF, you likely have a simple UHF array. There are some very high-end UHF antennas being made today. One I would look at if I were you is the Channel Master 4228 8-Bay. Channel Master also makes some nice preamps. Good luck in your efforts. Your problems are why I was ecstatic that Adelphia offered HD over the cable. I was not looking forward to the problems you're having.

Kevin

Thanks Kevin,
My antenna system was installed last month. Not sure what model, but it's a Channel Master with rotor and a 2 part amp (part on antenna & part that plugs in near TV). The whole system cost over $500 installed and he said it was one of the best UHF systems.

Regarding antennaweb.org. They're hopelessly out of date with their listing (at least for my zip) and although I've contacted them twice, they still have not added VPT's channel 24-1 thru 24-5 which is the strongest digital station in the whole area. I pick it up at 85% and 24-5 has stunning HD. Neither do they list channel WNNE-DT, channel 25, which will be testing their digital next month. They're sharing the VPT site, so their signal should be great.

My main concern right now is trying to improve my signal enough to lock on 59 (WMUR-DT) since it's probably my only chance at an ABC digital station. Just last night I got it to flash a picture for an instant a couple of times but it wouldn't stay. It mostly bounces around 49% and then about once every few minutes it will spike to mid 50s and every once in a while it will hit 60s for a split second.

I don't know how to tell if it's that I'm not high enough or a multipath problem or the station power. If I thought they we're going to increase their power soon, I'd just wait it out.

WaltinVt

post #498 of 2507 Old 10-16-2004, 07:47 AM

Walt, a 2 amp system can cause some problems. Are the 2 amps variable gain? You may need more gain on the mast and less gain downstream. Either way may help. FWIW, $500 doesn't seem like too much. The system I was looking at would have been at least that much and I was planning on doing the install myself.

BTW, if it's MUR's problem, I wouldn't be the least bit surprised. They have been the biggest thorn in my side for HD, even on Adelphia's cable. They still haven't fixed their audio problems. I wish Adelphia would switch to WCVB out of Boston.
post #499 of 2507 Old 10-18-2004, 06:48 PM
AVS Special Member

It's kinda sad but I also wish they'd go with WCVB. Maybe someone at WMUR reads this and notices that WE"RE GETTING TICKED OFF HERE WMUR GUYS!
-Trouble
post #500 of 2507 Old 10-20-2004, 07:51 AM

Ugh, Fox was having real problems last night with the HD feed. It kept jumping in and out with camera changes. Plus, it seems they switch from true HD to just widescreen sometimes. For example, when they focus on the batter, the crowd in the background is very blurry. When I watch NESN HD, I know what color eyes the girl in the fourth row has from the same angle. Anyone else notice this difference?
post #501 of 2507 Old 10-20-2004, 08:16 AM
Advanced Member

It was a FOX-national feed problem, according to the Programming thread. It was very obnoxious, but WHAT A GAME!!!

GO SOX!
post #502 of 2507 Old 10-20-2004, 03:28 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by bresna
Walt, a 2 amp system can cause some problems. Are the 2 amps variable gain? You may need more gain on the mast and less gain downstream. Either way may help. FWIW, $500 doesn't seem like too much. The system I was looking at would have been at least that much and I was planning on doing the install myself.

BTW, if it's MUR's problem, I wouldn't be the least bit surprised. They have been the biggest thorn in my side for HD, even on Adelphia's cable. They still haven't fixed their audio problems. I wish Adelphia would switch to WCVB out of Boston.

I really don't understand the "more vs less gain" issues but I know I don't have any adjustments on the part of the amp that plugs in the wall near my tv. I hate to climb way up to the antenna but would I be better off without the amp ? Does just unplugging the lower part do the same as not having an amp ? Told ya I didn't know much about this. I think if I could just boost my MUR signal about 10%, it would lock in.

WaltinVt

post #503 of 2507 Old 10-20-2004, 05:21 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by perrycom
It was a FOX-national feed problem, according to the Programming thread. It was very obnoxious, but WHAT A GAME!!!

GO SOX!

Great Game! The broadcast was kind of glitchy, do miss the nice NESN HD home games. It's nice when the Sox have a lead, you don't mind the glitches so much. Bugs me MUCH more when their behind...lol.
DJ
post #504 of 2507 Old 10-21-2004, 12:43 PM

Noticed you mentioned Hudson, Richm. I moved there a couple months ago and should be trying HD for the first time tomorrow (assuming my plasma gets delivered). The previous owner had an OTA antenna in the garage that I had him leave, so I'll be eventually (no tuner in plasma - might have to try bulding a htpc at some point for OTA) see what channels I can get in addition to Adelphia. Do you use OTA at all?

-Mike
post #505 of 2507 Old 10-22-2004, 05:50 AM

Welcome to town, Kirka. I do not use OTA at all, but I am quite pleased with Adelphia (at least the last year). Just a tip if you're getting the HD box-search this thread for the HD-DVR problems. There is something with the software that won't allow passthrough mode, which is the most convenient setting. Not sure if it is fixed yet.

Good luck
post #506 of 2507 Old 10-22-2004, 06:34 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by richm99
Just a tip if you're getting the HD box-search this thread for the HD-DVR problems. There is something with the software that won't allow passthrough mode, which is the most convenient setting. Not sure if it is fixed yet.

Good luck

rich,
Still no pass thru yet. Others using the same HD DVR on other systems have pass thru and other DVR features we don't get. Overall, I still like being able to record in HD.

kirka,
I'm also in Hudson. Adelphia HD has been pretty good. I If your lucky maybe you could get WCVB with your OTA, other than that I think Adelphia has you covered. I also use Adelphia for my HD, no OTA. I have the ultimate advantage package which gives me enough HD premium channels to keep me happy . Add in the HD DVR, there is always some HD programming to watch. I keep a few recorded HD SOX and Pats games on hand to make my friends jealous...lol. Enjoy your plasma TV.
DJ
post #507 of 2507 Old 10-22-2004, 09:39 AM

Thanks guys! I'm really looking forward to the Pats and Sox in HD. I recorded a few shows in HD to the DVR so I'll have a few things to check out once I get the plasma. I like that Adelphia has a couple other channels of HD content that I couldn't get via OTA. There's probably not much HD on WB or UPN (Adelphia doesn't carry those, right?).

I'll look into the passthru issue.

Thanks again!
post #508 of 2507 Old 10-24-2004, 11:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally posted by Troubleshooter
It's kinda sad but I also wish they'd go with WCVB. Maybe someone at WMUR reads this and notices that WE"RE GETTING TICKED OFF HERE WMUR GUYS!
-Trouble

WMUR is OWNED by WCVB and you guys ARE IN NH.
post #509 of 2507 Old 10-24-2004, 08:15 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by chitchatjf
WMUR is OWNED by WCVB and you guys ARE IN NH.

No, WMUR is not owned by WCVB. Hearst-Argyle owns both stations. But anyway, what does this have to do with the problems we are having with WMUR's HD service? If you're implying that WVCB has HD problems too, well then that's a different story.

As for where we are, I am much closer to Boston than I am to Manchester and I only started watching WMUR when I got HD. Before that, in SD, where I get both stations, I watched WCVB over WMUR... especially for the news. I still watch WCVB's news in SD.

Kevin
post #510 of 2507 Old 10-25-2004, 07:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Yeah, my point wasn't the content provided by the station, my point was that WMUR has been having tons of problems on the engineering side and I don't see these problems at all from WCVB (which I get OTA). WMUR's HD problems have been ongoing very commonly and pretty much constantly now for over two years. I'm not blaming a particular engineer here, maybe the staff doesn't have what they need in terms of equipment or whatever but I can say that out of all of the HD channels I get (via Adelphia and OTA) not a single one of the other channels has anywhere near the issues as WMUR. period. Not even the Spanish channel though they don't do HD admittedly, it's still digital! I'll admit here that I can't speak for WNDS because I haven't turned the antenna that way in ages. I really just get the feeling that nobody at WMUR actually watches the digital output and they have no idea when there's a problem until someone complains.
-Trouble
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page