New Hampshire - Comcast - Page 20 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #571 of 2507 Old 12-20-2004, 08:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Yeah I'm aware of the problem too. One of two things. Incompetent employees or incompetent management that won't pay for appropriate equipment. Either way, continual unprofessionalism from their company. Now things screw up from time to time, but this is a constant issue with these guys. If I ran a datacenter this poorly I'd have been fired long ago. Of course it means nothing to them regardless, they're getting paid by the advertisers as long as it's broadcast I'm sure. At least this will be the last time the Pats are on ABC for the season (I think...hopefully).
-Trouble
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #572 of 2507 Old 12-21-2004, 08:05 AM

They are done with ABC, unless they lose the bye-I think wild card weekend is exclusively on ABC. As a football fan, I will still be steamed if they cannot get this fixed because I love watching the playoffs, no matter who is playing. After that it's CBS and Fox. Fox has the Super Bowl.

Can we complain direct to Adelphia? Will they have more clout? Lets face it, us calling WMUR has no bearing since we do not pay them for their feed (directly anyway).
post #573 of 2507 Old 12-21-2004, 08:07 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by wdwms
I got through to WMUR.. No HDTV tonight, the are aware of the problem but can't fix it for tonight.. what a waste...

Yeah, the problem was the switch was in Manchester and the guy responsible couldn't reach it from the mall.
post #574 of 2507 Old 12-21-2004, 08:09 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Well, I just got off the phone with Adelphia's "customer service". It's laughable what they consider "service" to me. Basically, it's a person sitting in Buffalo taking notes that will be entered into a computer database where it will reside forever. No one will do anything, but they think this will help me.

Last night's Patriots snafu was rediculous. The PATRIOTS for crying out loud! Didn't WMUR figure maybe some people might have wanted HD for this?

The person on the phone told me that she would have the Londonderry office's head of customer service (Frank Lake maybe?) give me a call. The thing is, he will just recite the mantra that, "We're in New Hampshire so we have to carry WMUR", which we know is BS. They carry WCVB in SD, why not in HD? Their argument holds no water.

Has anyone gotten through to WMUR today to ask them what the heck they plan to do about this?

Kevin
post #575 of 2507 Old 12-21-2004, 10:44 AM
AVS Special Member

LOL, I totally think you're right richm! Screwin up MNF -WHEN YOUR LOCAL TEAM IS PLAYING- is sooooo pathetic. I bet Al Kaprillian (sp?) over at WNDS wouldn't have let that happen! HIGH PRESSHAH!

-Trouble
post #576 of 2507 Old 12-22-2004, 12:44 PM
Advanced Member

Guys: Here's what they're telling me (via email this morning):

"We have been having some bad equipment failures with the ABC equipment,
over the past few weeks.
I'll explain, there are 16 pieces of equipment from receiving the signal
until transmitting it.
We have had problems with 6 of them !
Today we have found what we believe to be the last faulty piece.........the
LNB in the dish.
We have swapped it with a similar one and we should be good until a
replacement arrives tomorrow or Thursday.

I don't know if anybody has told you, but all of this equipment we use is
supplied to us by ABC, so, when there is a problem, we have to work with
them to find out which piece is bad and then they supply us with another.
So you can see that sometimes it may take a couple of days to fix each
problem.

The Master Contol operators switch the progamming from SD to HD, but if
there is a problem they can switch it back.
There is nothing they can do to fix a HD problem.

I'm quite sure that this was a weather related problem and that once we
replace the LNB we should be good.

Cameron, thanks for your patience, and, believe me, we are just as
frustrated.

It is always good to hear from you even though the contents of your emails
may be unpleasant for me to read."

Hopefully they'll take care of it.
post #577 of 2507 Old 12-23-2004, 05:45 AM

Thanks for the update. Its good to know they are as frustrated as we are with the continual problems.
post #578 of 2507 Old 12-26-2004, 07:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:

Originally posted by bresna
Well, I just got off the phone with Adelphia's "customer service". It's laughable what they consider "service" to me. Basically, it's a person sitting in Buffalo taking notes that will be entered into a computer database where it will reside forever. No one will do anything, but they think this will help me.

Last night's Patriots snafu was rediculous. The PATRIOTS for crying out loud! Didn't WMUR figure maybe some people might have wanted HD for this?

The person on the phone told me that she would have the Londonderry office's head of customer service (Frank Lake maybe?) give me a call. The thing is, he will just recite the mantra that, "We're in New Hampshire so we have to carry WMUR", which we know is BS. They carry WCVB in SD, why not in HD? Their argument holds no water.

Has anyone gotten through to WMUR today to ask them what the heck they plan to do about this?

Kevin

Next time you hear the mantra "We're in New Hampshire so we have to carry WMUR" tell them that comcast carries WCVBDT IN MANCHESTER!
I sort of agree that if WMUR works THAT should be the ABC HD channel you get,BUT it dosne't seem to for you
post #579 of 2507 Old 12-30-2004, 09:03 AM

Hello all,

While ESPN HD and NFL HD show up as available (it doesn't say "call 800-xxx-xxxx to activate") I have never been able to get anything on those channels. NESN HD always works.

I don't get any of the HD Net stuff, but it also shows as available.

I have no problems with the regular channels and HBO/Starz. When I called after I got the new box a few weeks ago they said I should be getting ESPN and the others, but it would take a couple days to kick in. Some of the channels did kick in, but oter didn't (see below).

I tried calling them but was on hold forever. Is it just that certain channels aren't available in Milford yet or will calling and waiting to get through to them actually get me somewhere?

Thanks in advance for your help.

750 HBOHD -- works
751 SHOHD -- don't pay for it
752 STZHD -- works
753 MAXHD -- don't pay for it
770 HDNET -- doesn't work
771 HDMVS -- doesn't work
772 ESPNHD - doesn't work
773 NESNHD - works
774 INHD --- doesn't work
775 INHD2 -- doesn't work
776 HDDSC -- works
777 NFLHD -- doesn't work
post #580 of 2507 Old 12-31-2004, 07:27 AM - Thread Starter

Do you see HD Plus on your last bill? On my it shows as free, but I have the Ultimate Adv. Pak.

-Dave
post #581 of 2507 Old 12-31-2004, 09:40 AM

Try unplugging your box for 30 seconds and then plug back in. This worked for me to get NFL network working, and has worked in the past EVERY time a new station(s) gets added. For some reason the HD boxes have issues with updated channels.
Warning-it will take about 30 minutes or so for the box to completely regain the channels above 77. I usually do it after I am done watching TV for the night, or first thing in the morning. You don't want to have people over to watch a game in HD and then sit there waiting for the box to recover-it happened to me, luckily it came up in time for kickoff.
post #582 of 2507 Old 01-02-2005, 11:09 AM

I'm a little dissapointed in the picture quality today. It almost seems that this is their EDTV equipment, not HD. Since this is clearly a "B" game, is it possible they do not have the HD equipment here?
post #583 of 2507 Old 01-02-2005, 11:57 AM

Seems the end zone cameras are the problem. Sideline pics ae fine.
post #584 of 2507 Old 01-03-2005, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by HDorBust
Do you see HD Plus on your last bill? On my it shows as free, but I have the Ultimate Adv. Pak.

Yep.

I finally called during business hours and got someone on the phone. They said it should be getting everything. He was surprised it would get certain tier 2 channels (NESN and Discovery) and not others.

They said a service call should take care of it.

Thanks
post #585 of 2507 Old 01-03-2005, 04:46 PM
AVS Special Member

I know this is OT but since you guys are local....Anyone interested in a 119" 16:9 Dalite Hipower screen for a good deal? 100% perfect condition but I switched to a ceiling mount and its killed it for me. Looking to get another non hipower. Screen is AMAZING if you have a floor or other mount closer to eye level as I had it when I bought the screen but after getting theater seating I can't use my tabletop anymore. I can demonstrate the difference if need be. Reason I post it here is that I can't see shipping the thing in any safe way. I've had it since last spring, again its great as long as you arent ceiling mounting your PJ. My family thinks I'm nuts and barely sees a difference. It's in use in my theater now and anyone really interested can see it in action. It's not awful to watch even with a ceiling mount but I know there's a better option for my setup. Just let me know! Sorry for the disruption.
-Trouble
post #586 of 2507 Old 01-04-2005, 11:03 AM

Question for users of the SA 8000HD reciever. Do you have the firmware upgrade to enable the passthrough or DVI yet?
post #587 of 2507 Old 01-06-2005, 02:10 PM
Advanced Member

Looks like we'll be getting ESPN2-HD very soon! Too bad the NHL is no more....

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...0&pagenumber=1
post #588 of 2507 Old 01-08-2005, 07:33 AM

Hi Everyone, I know this is the NH forum, but we really do not have many Adelphia HD folks down here on the cape. We usually get the HD channels a month or two after you guys up North, and I have two issues that have developed sonce getting DISC HD and NFLHD.

Once they came through I noticed a pulsing brightness on INHD1 and DISC HD. It is only on those two channels, but was not there before on INHD1 (I have recorded a few shows from INHD1 pre-Disc HD launch and do not see it on the DVR). Anyone else have a similar situation?

On the Free On Demand Channels, is anyone else noticing that we are not getting as much as Comcasts ID service. ex, some of the kids shows, discovery, etc.

Any help would be appreciated, and thanks.

"Don't ever let anyone tell you you have a ten cent fart for a brain unless you only have a dollar in your pocket !!"
post #589 of 2507 Old 01-08-2005, 09:59 AM

I have seen this pulsing brightness, but not on NFL. I get it for both INHD channels as well as WMUR-HD (ABC). It is intermittent, but I have been getting it for a year. My guess is the equipment trasnmitting the siganl may have an issue. We have quite a few issues with the WMUR feed in HD due to their equipment, so I think it has to be related.
I am hoping the playoff games today on ABC do not have the problem
post #590 of 2507 Old 01-09-2005, 10:39 AM

I was watching INHD1 yesterday and I was noticing that the blacks were not looking too good. They were all splotchy with grey. I never noticed before.

MUR is still our biggest problem up here.

Kevin
post #591 of 2507 Old 01-12-2005, 06:50 AM

I was setting up my HD DVR for tonight and it looks like Lost isn't being shown at 8 PM on WMUR HD, at least in Hudson. The schedule shows a hockey game instead, with Lost being shown some time well after midnight (I don't have the exact time since I was just scrolling ahead).

I guess I'll have to see if my OTA tuner can pick up WCVB's HD feed.

Just thought I'd give a head's up.
post #592 of 2507 Old 01-12-2005, 08:00 AM

WMUR's website shows a Dartmouth hockey game starting at 7:00. They also say it will be done by 9:00 for Alias... I don't buy that. I guess I'll be watching "Alias" in SD on WCVB tonight.

Did anyone watch "Alias" last week on WMUR? On the SD broadcast which I taped, they used a left-hand & bottom banner asking for donations for tsunami relief aid. It was there for the entire broadcast. I think it was a bit too much. They could have kept it to 1 side of the screen, not 2, and they could have made it transparent. As it was used, they appeared to be overlaying on top of the picture. It got annoying after about 30 minutes. I doubt "annoying" is the response they were looking for.

Too bad I have such a non-reponsive cable company. BTW, I never did hear back from them with their "promised" call back from the local Londonderry office. As I suspected, Adelphia's move to national call centers was simply a way to make it impossible to actually get an answer.

I repeat what the HD broadcast engineer at WCVB told me: "There are no legal or financial reasons why they do not carry our HD broadcast. There is nothing stopping them from carrying our HD signal on their system".

Kevin
post #593 of 2507 Old 01-12-2005, 09:11 AM
Advanced Member

You're going to be very happy, Kevin...

Just got an email from the area manager for Adelphia. They're going to be adding WCVB-DT "within the next few days." He said one of the reasons is the technical problems MUR is having.

Thought I'd make your day, Kev!!
post #594 of 2507 Old 01-12-2005, 10:07 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by perrycom
You're going to be very happy, Kevin...

Just got an email from the area manager for Adelphia. They're going to be adding WCVB-DT "within the next few days." He said one of the reasons is the technical problems MUR is having.

Thought I'd make your day, Kev!!

I'm looking at the calendar... hmmm... did I go into a coma and wake up on April 1st? I can't be reading what I'm reading here. It would be too good to be true.

If it turns out to be true, I will take back all the bad things I've been saying about Adelphia!! Naaaaah, I can't take back ALL of them!

Cameron, I am so glad you get through to these guys. I never seem to get anything from them and it's not like I'm a nasty SOB (like I may sound here on the forums). I simply try to talk normally but in the end I get the "runaround".

BTW, the next time you talk with them, can you see if you can get an idea when they will start getting the SA 8300 HD DVR boxes? I may switch over to that box but not the SA 8000 HD.

In closing: WOOOOOOO HOOOOOOOO

Kevin
post #595 of 2507 Old 01-12-2005, 10:36 AM

WOW, that would be great if they add WCVB-DT.

I almost went into the Londonderry office on Friday as one of my 8000HD boxes froze up and then came back with an unrecoverable write error. I got it running again, though I saw some breakups in a subsequent recording (Boston Legal - did anyone watch this weeks in HD and have trouble?).

The 8300 might allow an external drive to be added to increase capacity, right, or am I confused? I'm relatively happy with the 8000; but I only use component (though it would be nice to have passthru resolution). Of course, I just bought a Marantz with component switching (among other things I needed); but I know I'll probably eventually switch to DVI/HDMI for HD.

Mike
post #596 of 2507 Old 01-12-2005, 10:50 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Originally posted by bresna
BTW, the next time you talk with them, can you see if you can get an idea when they will start getting the SA 8300 HD DVR boxes? I may switch over to that box but not the SA 8000 HD.

In closing: WOOOOOOO HOOOOOOOO

Kevin

I'll see what I can find out.

BTW, he also told me they're working on adding ESPN2-HD as well as ESPNU, which - I believe - is college sports, but in SD.

Cameron
post #597 of 2507 Old 01-12-2005, 10:56 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Originally posted by Kirka
...though I saw some breakups in a subsequent recording (Boston Legal - did anyone watch this weeks in HD and have trouble?)....

I did notice a few glitches with Boston Legal (one of the best and funniest shows I've seen in awhile, btw), but that may have been MUR's continuing problems which - apparently - will be rectified soon when we get CVB.
post #598 of 2507 Old 01-12-2005, 11:45 AM
Advanced Member

OK guys...this just in:

"SA has still not enabled the DVI output- we have been given dates but SA has missed the targets.

We do have the SA8300 available- Merrimack office does have a small supply.

ESPN II HD will be available in April."

Kevin: suggest you call your local office to see if they have them (if there is one in Hudson) and pick it up!!
post #599 of 2507 Old 01-12-2005, 12:38 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by perrycom
Kevin: suggest you call your local office to see if they have them (if there is one in Hudson) and pick it up!!

Um, Cameron, I'd love to call my local and reserve one. I can't anymore!

Do you know if I can contact them another way and get an SA 8300 HD DVR on hold? Of course, this is assuming I get this by the boss... I mean wife.

Kevin
post #600 of 2507 Old 01-12-2005, 12:50 PM
Advanced Member

Ummm..don't know who to call since they've changed to Buffalo...maybe you just take a chance and go there (assuming you can deal with your boss later!). You're not far from the Merrimack office - they'll give you one...PM me if you need directions.

Other than that, Bud, at least you know they have them available.
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page