New Hampshire - Comcast - Page 21 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #601 of 2507 Old 01-12-2005, 01:42 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
The SA8300HD box is available in Londonderry. I now have three of them running in my house. I will caution that they seem a little buggy at this point. Twice, on seperate boxes, the machine crashed and rebooted while I was navigating the VOD menus. Also, last night it failed to record a program that I had scheduled for recording. I haven't had time to test out the HDMI port on the back yet. It does come with an external SATA port for hooking up an additional hard drive which it says to contact my local cable company to see which hard drives are compatible.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #602 of 2507 Old 01-12-2005, 02:00 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by bresna

Did anyone watch "Alias" last week on WMUR? On the SD broadcast which I taped, they used a left-hand & bottom banner asking for donations for tsunami relief aid. It was there for the entire broadcast.
Kevin

On a related note, did anyone else notice during the playoff games (I cannot remeber if it was Fox or NBC, but I'm pretty sure it was Fox) on Sunday, that when the "update" showed up on the bottom of the picture, the HD picture got distorted? Every 10 minutes or so, this thing would pop up and the picture would get stretched. Thats annoying enough, but of course there is nothing to update since it's the only game going on, so it is basically a commercial for Fox show. That better get fixed before the Super Bowl!
post #603 of 2507 Old 01-12-2005, 02:05 PM

What does the SA8300 offer over the SA8000?
post #604 of 2507 Old 01-12-2005, 02:51 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:

Originally posted by marchess
What does the SA8300 offer over the SA8000?

Unless what I've been reading in other threads isn't true, the SA 8300 HD:
Changes channels much faster
Has an active DVI port (via HDMI with an adaptor)
Allows for pass thru HD resolutions (through both HDMI and component)
Is simply an "upgraded" SA 8000 HD box

All in all, having seen how the SA8000 HD box works on my friend's TV, I don't like the fact that he has to manually switch the box to each HD resolution. That is enough to get me to stay away. I like my SA 3250 HD and all I want is this box with a DVR. I believe the SA 8300 HD is that box.

Kevin
post #605 of 2507 Old 01-12-2005, 03:31 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Originally posted by pbiondo
...I now have three of them running in my house...

What size is the hard drive? 80g? I have the 8000 and I quickly run out of room! SA offers a 160g, but I doubt we'll get that.
post #606 of 2507 Old 01-12-2005, 08:37 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by perrycom
What size is the hard drive? 80g? I have the 8000 and I quickly run out of room! SA offers a 160g, but I doubt we'll get that.

I haven't checked, but the manual that came with it says it has a 160g hard drive. If you'll tell me how to check, I will. Of course, if we can add an additional hard drive, that should also help.
post #607 of 2507 Old 01-13-2005, 06:20 PM

I'm lucky I was able to watch Lost and Alias in HD with my OTA tuner last night on WCVB, because when WMUR DID get around to showing it, they didn't broadcast in HD..

Really starting to hate WMUR now.

BTW, anyone watch West Wing last night iwth all the Nashua and Litchfield references?
post #608 of 2507 Old 01-13-2005, 07:06 PM

Oh happy day!

Oh happy day

Oh happy daaaaay!!

Oh happy day

Wcvb is here

Oh happy day

No more MUR

Oh happy day!!
post #609 of 2507 Old 01-13-2005, 09:18 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 17
stable dave, the get/don't-get symptoms you describe reminds me of what i see on one of my HD boxes from adelphia. my downstairs box gets all the channels it should but upstairs i only get a few of the HD channels. it's definitely because of the crappy cable i have leading to upstairs. it's RG6 but i think it's just too long, too much dB loss due to splitter too. the analog low-number channels barely come in. i know it's the cable which is at fault, and figure i'm lucky to get any of the HD channels.
well, good luck with your setup!
post #610 of 2507 Old 01-14-2005, 10:26 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by tveli
my downstairs box gets all the channels it should but upstairs i only get a few of the HD channels.

On the channels you don't get on the upstairs box, what do you get on the screen when you tune them in? I'm asking because I wanted to make sure that Adelphia just hasn't screwed up the programming of your upstairs box. You may have gone over this with Adelphia already, but thought I'd check.

Paul
post #611 of 2507 Old 01-14-2005, 10:41 AM

You may need a signal amplifier for the long cable run? I know I had issues with HD stations being dark until I put one in. It needs to bi-directional.
post #612 of 2507 Old 01-14-2005, 12:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Any splitters also gotta be able to do 1GHz! I found this out the hard way when TV's on the other side of a 900MHz splitter didn't get any HD channel picture!
-Troube
post #613 of 2507 Old 01-14-2005, 01:51 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Troubleshooter
Any splitters also gotta be able to do 1GHz! I found this out the hard way when TV's on the other side of a 900MHz splitter didn't get any HD channel picture!

Actually, I would go with 2 GHz splitters. The 1 GHz models might roll off pretty fast. I found that the 2 GHz RCA splitters that Radio Shack sells in the "satellite" section work very well. You could also get a multi-output amplifier and avoid splitters altogether.

CompUSA and BestBuy sell a nice Monster Cable splitter that goes to 2 GHz as well, but I would personally avoid it. I'm boycotting all Monster Cable products. Their litigation against everything with "monster" in it is ludicrous. I'm not giving them any more of my money until they stop the idiocy.

Kevin
post #614 of 2507 Old 01-14-2005, 11:00 PM - Thread Starter

I have a Radio Shack bidirectional distribution amplifier that works well.

-Dave
post #615 of 2507 Old 01-15-2005, 09:06 AM

Thats also what I have and I have had no problems
post #616 of 2507 Old 01-15-2005, 07:02 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 17
pbiondo on the hd channels which do not come in on the long run cable,
i get the channel banner and a blank/dark screen. occasionally/rarely a couple of mpeg chunks will flash.
very rarely. and again, the analog/low number channels are VERY fuzzy.

richm, i have tried an amp but maybe not a good enough quality amp.
bi-directional? you're kidding right? firstly i am not interested in any
signal going in the reverse direction (am i?!)
econd it wouldnt make sense to amplify
bidirectionally at one spot, only at opposite ends., if i were so interested.

as for splitters, oh yeah, definitely 2Ghz required. 1Ghz does not cut the mustard for these apps, or for cable modem either.

monster cable is suing everyone who uses the word monster?
they may well have valid trademark claim there, let the courts figure it out.
post #617 of 2507 Old 01-16-2005, 07:18 AM

Quote:
pbiondo on the hd channels which do not come in on the long run cable,
i get the channel banner and a blank/dark screen. occasionally/rarely a couple of mpeg chunks will flash.
very rarely. and again, the analog/low number channels are VERY fuzzy.

Depending on which set-top box (STB) you have, you'll find threads in the HDTV>HDTV Hardware forum that will enable you to get to the system screen. I know for the Scientific Atlanta 3250 HD, it's accessed by pressing the "Select" button on the front of the box for 2 or 3 seconds until the mail message indicator lights up and then pressing the "Info" button. Page up and down for more screens.

Find out how much power your box is receiving. If it's less than 10 dBm, it's too low for good HD reception. Most people get a good picture if the power is above 10 dBm.

Quote:

My amp is not bi-directional. I was given it by my brother. It's a great amp but because it's not b-directional, I cannot order any "On Demand" channels or Pay-per-view events. The bi-directionality is not amplification but simply communication.

Quote:

as for splitters, oh yeah, definitely 2Ghz required. 1Ghz does not cut the mustard for these apps, or for cable modem either.

1 GHz may be OK, I've just found that not all 1 GHz splitters are created equal. Going with a 2 GHz splitter is just safer.

Quote:

monster cable is suing everyone who uses the word monster?
they may well have valid trademark claim there, let the courts figure it out.

The courts shouldn't even be involved. If Monster Cable wasn't suing everyone from Disney (for their movie "Monster's Inc") to Sesame Street (for the "Cookie Monster"), I would gladly recommend their products. I just don't like their current legal tactics. I think they're jerks. However, this conversation is for another thread. There should be one in another forum where we can discuss this. I know there are several over on Steve Hoffman's forums. We should keep this there. Sorry I brought it into this thread.

Kevin
post #618 of 2507 Old 01-17-2005, 06:58 AM

Quote:

You should use the amplifier where the cable comes into the house. My amp has four connections, so you can run 4 lines from the main cable line. Thats is the only way it would work, since you are correct in that it makes no sense to amplify a signal that has been split already. Sorry I didn't make that point before.

And the bi-directional is required for OnDemand stuff.
post #619 of 2507 Old 01-20-2005, 06:58 AM

I was able to compare WMUR-HD to WCVB-HD for "Alias" last night. Interesting. WMUR's picture was better. My wife and I both agreed. The blacks were "grainy" on WCVB and there was some pixelization as well. Not WMUR. However, WCVB's audio was perfect. Not so for WMUR... the audio still seems to switch between 5.1 and stereo at times and the overall sound level is a bit lower.

It's good to have a choice!

Kevin
post #620 of 2507 Old 01-20-2005, 02:47 PM

Quote:

stable dave, the get/don't-get symptoms you describe reminds me of what i see on one of my HD boxes from adelphia. my downstairs box gets all the channels it should but upstairs i only get a few of the HD channels. it's definitely because of the crappy cable i have leading to upstairs. it's RG6 but i think it's just too long, too much dB loss due to splitter too. the analog low-number channels barely come in. i know it's the cable which is at fault, and figure i'm lucky to get any of the HD channels.
well, good luck with your setup!

I haven't checked in for a while, so I'll give you an update on my 8300HD situation.

I exchanged for a new box and had the same problem. They agreed that the fact that I wasn't getting any error messages meant it was programmed correctly. They had me unplug the power and it came up and got all the channels.

Couple days later it reverted back to the same old problem. I tried unplugging it again but it didn't help. I've been too lazy to worry about it since then.

I guess it may have something to do with the cable run, but the programming didn't go in and out or anything. It was either all there working great or not there. Just the blank screen. I figured it was a problem with all the boxes, but it sounds like no one else is having trouble. Now that I think about it, the 2-99 level channels do look pretty bad. I'll try swapping them out tonight. If I have the same problem wih the old box upstairs I guess I'll need to do something with the cable run.

Thanks for the input everyone.
post #621 of 2507 Old 01-21-2005, 07:50 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by Stable Dave
I haven't checked in for a while, so I'll give you an update on my 8300HD situation.

I exchanged for a new box and had the same problem. They agreed that the fact that I wasn't getting any error messages meant it was programmed correctly. They had me unplug the power and it came up and got all the channels.

Couple days later it reverted back to the same old problem. I tried unplugging it again but it didn't help. I've been too lazy to worry about it since then.

I guess it may have something to do with the cable run, but the programming didn't go in and out or anything. It was either all there working great or not there. Just the blank screen. I figured it was a problem with all the boxes, but it sounds like no one else is having trouble. Now that I think about it, the 2-99 level channels do look pretty bad. I'll try swapping them out tonight. If I have the same problem wih the old box upstairs I guess I'll need to do something with the cable run.

Thanks for the input everyone.

Looks like you guys are on to something. I got a 2 ghtz splitter on the way home last night and now ESPN-HD is available. I don't know if I want to go through a lot of trouble since I've only got a 17" LCD upstairs, but it's good to figure out what was happening.

Thanks again.
post #622 of 2507 Old 01-23-2005, 09:40 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Originally posted by bresna
I was able to compare WMUR-HD to WCVB-HD for "Alias" last night. Interesting. WMUR's picture was better. My wife and I both agreed. The blacks were "grainy" on WCVB and there was some pixelization as well. Not WMUR. However, WCVB's audio was perfect. Not so for WMUR... the audio still seems to switch between 5.1 and stereo at times and the overall sound level is a bit lower.

It's good to have a choice!

Kevin

WCVB is multicasting an SD signal, so their bandwidth isn't dedicated to HD. Last I checked, WMUR has only the HD feed, so they should presumably have full-bandwidth dedicated to HD, which may explain the difference.

-Dave
post #623 of 2507 Old 01-24-2005, 06:16 AM

Did anyone else have WBZ-HD kick out of HD in the middle of the game last night? It happened around the 3rd quarter. I had to wait until a commercial and switch it to ABC-HD and then back to WBZ-HD to get 1080i back.

Kevin
post #624 of 2507 Old 01-24-2005, 07:37 AM

Yeah, happened to me as well. But I was just happy we got a near flawless signal for the game. With the weather around here, I was nervous the broadcast would be affected.
Also happy with the on-field performance as well
post #625 of 2507 Old 01-25-2005, 10:39 AM

Anyone else not getting ESPN HD on 772?
post #626 of 2507 Old 01-25-2005, 12:25 PM
Advanced Member

just checked...it's fine here.
post #627 of 2507 Old 01-28-2005, 08:28 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by Stable Dave
Looks like you guys are on to something. I got a 2 ghtz splitter on the way home last night and now ESPN-HD is available. I don't know if I want to go through a lot of trouble since I've only got a 17" LCD upstairs, but it's good to figure out what was happening.

Thanks again.

Got a final resolution today. I placed a service call and they switched out the splitter and evrything is up and running. I wasn't home so I didn't see what he put on, but the wife says it was just a splitter and no booster was needed.
post #628 of 2507 Old 02-02-2005, 09:05 AM

Last night made it two weeks in a row that NBC wasn't able to show "Committed" in HD, even though there was a banner across the bottom during the beginning saying it was being broadcast that way. Anyone got any ideas what's up with this? The premier episode was shown in HD but none since.

Also, last night I was once again able to compare ABC-HD between WMUR and WCVB. As it was the last time, the picture was much better on WMUR but the audio was much better on WCVB. WMUR's audio problems are pretty obvious when you switch between the two. There were scenes in "The George Lopez Show" where you couldn't even hear the dialog over the laugh track. A switch over to WCVB and "bam", dialog.

Kevin
post #629 of 2507 Old 02-04-2005, 06:45 AM

ESPN2-HD showed up at channel 778 last night! Just in time for March Madness... well, that's assuming they have enough HD cameras for that.

Kevin
post #630 of 2507 Old 02-04-2005, 07:48 AM

Is anyone running the 8300HD through it's HDMI out....is this working?
If so, how do you like it..?

Thanks,
-mike-
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page