New Hampshire - Comcast - Page 25 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #721 of 2507 Old 04-22-2005, 08:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm going to guess they will do whatever it is that makes life more difficult for the subscribers, costs subscribers more money and takes away features that Comcast won't be able to charge for. Sorta seems to be the way to do business these days
-Trouble
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #722 of 2507 Old 04-25-2005, 07:09 PM
Advanced Member

Did anyone else notice that Adelphia appears to have "enabled" the DVI port on the 8000HD?

However, I say "enabled" because even though the port now seems to be active, it immediately disables all inputs, component included, stating that my TV is not HDCP compliant. This is nonsense, as I have a Samsung HLP5653 set, which definately has a HDCP compliant DVI port.

Has anyone else had any luck getting the DVI output to work on their TV's?
post #723 of 2507 Old 05-14-2005, 04:48 AM

The DVI port sort of works on mine. I say sort of because I can view realtime cable but can't view anything from the DVR. I switched back to the component cables for now. Probably will leave it that way since I'll need the DVI port for the new XBox 360 when it comes out!
post #724 of 2507 Old 05-16-2005, 07:48 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
What should I do? My underground cable died on March 2. They came and figured it out in about 15 minutes. The solution: run a temporary cable across the snow. When the spring thaw came, they'd run a new cable through the conduit.

It's now May 16th. I am now mowing the lawn around this temporary cable and it is a BIG PIA.

Adelphia refuses to return any calls.

I am being told they have to dig up my lawn to run a new cable (No way!!)

They say they always return calls so my case is unusual. (Ha!)

Every time I call, their records say that I was never promised a return call. (Steam coming out of ears)

I'm pretty peeved right now. I am very seriously considering giving DirecTV a shot, something I never would have done since Adelphia's HD package is so good.

What can I do? Should I just dump these guys?

A pretty ticked off,
Kevin
post #725 of 2507 Old 05-17-2005, 04:43 AM
Advanced Member

Kevin: Check your PM
post #726 of 2507 Old 05-18-2005, 02:03 PM

"Adelphia Customer Service "

I feel your pain. We have been having intermittant trouble with our internet connection from Adelphia for a year and last month they finally determined that they need to replace the cable from the street to the house. They had Dig Vermont come out within 2 days of the dermination but I am still waiting on them to come and replace the cable. They first said they were waiting on a permit from the town but when we called the town they said the permit could be issued within a day. Now they just aren't returning our calls. So we have all these little flags running across our lawn which makes mowing a real challenge. They say they have until June 11th to complete the order which will be 2 months from the original call. If I had any alternative for high speed internet I would definately switch.
post #727 of 2507 Old 06-04-2005, 06:37 PM

Did anyone else catch the Red Sox game on Fox-25 HD (channel 725) today? I kept rubbing my eyes... something was up with their HD picture. It didn't have the depth you get with the NESN and WSBK HD broadcasts. The thing is, they must have been using the same cameras. Maybe using 1080i cameras for a 720p broadcast screws up the picture?

Kevin
post #728 of 2507 Old 06-05-2005, 12:22 AM
Advanced Member

Game on Fox was widescreen 480i.Only playoffs and All-Star Game will be HD on Fox.
post #729 of 2507 Old 06-14-2005, 07:10 AM

Hi all:
I am moving next month from Florida to Londonderry, and will be considering Adelphia --does anyone have the specs on the current DVRs that are being used as far as 80 or 160 gb capacities, HD storage hours, brands (ie all SA?) etc. I called the national Adelphia customer service line, and that person didn't even think that Adelphia's DVRs could record/play back in HD, but that seems to be false information. You guys seem to know more about Adelphia's equipment than Adelphia! I hope the DVRs can at least hold 20 hrs of HD content--I am spoiled by my DirecTV Tivo, but the HD content is so limited and the HD DVR so expensive that, at least for now, cable seems the way to go.
Thanks
post #730 of 2507 Old 06-14-2005, 07:16 AM

Liked: 11
All SE equipment and they have the 8300HD (HDMI ACTIVE)with the 160GB HDD.

Jason
post #731 of 2507 Old 06-14-2005, 08:12 AM

Thanks Jason:

Another quick question:

I read somewhere that some cable companies don't have these DVR's activated to record "first runs" instead of "all episodes"--what is the deal in NH?--not being able to record first episodes only would really be a problem in terms of filling up the hard drive fast.

Kevin
post #732 of 2507 Old 06-15-2005, 08:55 AM

The DVR software pales in comparison to my old DirecTiVos. You are correct in that there is not a record first runs option (the guide doesn't have repeat info). You also have to manage the disk capacity more as there isn't a Save Until Space Needed (unless I haven't figured it out) way that works like the tivo. The system either deletes the programs according to your retain time, or you could theoretically miss a new recording if you haven't left enough room for it.

Catching up with a recording in progress is a pain as well. When you select it from the list, it gives you the point in progress, so you have to rewind. It also abruptly stops at the end of the recording time, so if you haven't caught up, you have to go in to that recording again, hit skip to end, and rewind. Not fun to see 5 adults trying to hide their eyes while rewinding the last 10 minutes of Lost so you don't see the cliffhanger too soon. If I catch a live program at a commercial, I often stop/save and then start a new recording for the remainder; but it is a bit clunky. Still, the ability to skip the high upfront purchase cost of the HD TiVo was nice.

I probably wouldn't be with Adelphia if the house I bought last year had a treeline that would have let me stick with my 3 DirecTiVos; but the Adelphia HD content has been so good, I'm not complaining.

Mike
post #733 of 2507 Old 06-21-2005, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirka View Post

You also have to manage the disk capacity more as there isn't a Save Until Space Needed (unless I haven't figured it out) way that works like the tivo. The system either deletes the programs according to your retain time, or you could theoretically miss a new recording if you haven't left enough room for it.

Mike

You can go into preferences and turn on Auto Erase and it will erase the oldest recording to make room for new ones.
post #734 of 2507 Old 06-22-2005, 05:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwelicka View Post

You can go into preferences and turn on Auto Erase and it will erase the oldest recording to make room for new ones.

I know at one point when I had Auto-Erase turned on it was erasing everyting after the "Time to Save" setting had passed, so I was effectively losing anything older than 2 weeks old. I don't remember there being a Until Space Needed option on the save time; but I can check again.
Thanks!
post #735 of 2507 Old 06-22-2005, 05:48 AM

The last few times that I've watched NESN-HD, they didn't seem to be stretching the SD picture. Has anyone else noticed this? I haven't tried watching anything other than a Red Sox post game show. Are they pillar-boxing their other SD shows? If they are, that's great news.

Kevin
post #736 of 2507 Old 06-22-2005, 11:52 AM
Advanced Member

Kevin -
I've noticed the same thing...finally someone woke up!

Don't know about the SD shows, but I'm curious as well.
post #737 of 2507 Old 06-24-2005, 05:29 AM

An insider on the Boston-area Comcast thread is saying that they're getting Disney-HD. I didn't even realize that Disney was going HD. Anyone know if Adelphia has this in their plans? They've been leading the pack in this area.

In that same thread, the insider is also saying that they're going to add a surprise HD channel. Is there another HD channel upcoming that I don't know about? Speculation seems to be that it might be Universal-HD. They apparently already have TNT-HD. C'mon Adelphia, keep ahead of the pack here!

Kevin
post #738 of 2507 Old 06-25-2005, 07:59 AM

I watched the show NUMB3RS for the first time last night and although the show was OK, I didn't think the HD picture was very impressive. There was zero depth to it. I would be willing to bet that last night's broadcast was widescreen SD. Maybe someone forgot to throw the switch?

Also last night, something happened at WSBK-38 HD between the 2nd & 3rd innings on 738. First a commercial graphic froze on the screen with the Red Sox game audible in the background, then it just went black. It stayed that way the whole rest of the game. I had to watch it on WSBK's SD channel (channel 12).

Kevin
post #739 of 2507 Old 06-26-2005, 08:43 PM - Thread Starter

The glitch during the Red Sox was discussed in the Boston forum:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?p=5805053

-Dave
post #740 of 2507 Old 07-07-2005, 06:55 AM
Advanced Member

Does anyone know if the HDMI enabled 8300HD is being provided to MA customers also?
post #741 of 2507 Old 07-31-2005, 07:40 AM
Advanced Member

Has there been any update on when the changeover to Comcast will take place. I'm wondering if Adelphia is even bothering on adding new channels?
post #742 of 2507 Old 08-01-2005, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuzzy View Post

Has there been any update on when the changeover to Comcast will take place. I'm wondering if Adelphia is even bothering on adding new channels?

nuzzy I've been following the progress of this via the google alert system. I have it set up to send me anything that has anything to do with adelphia. So far nothing. There seems to be a fight starting over what the sell could do to Directv and Dish asa well as other cable systems. This has something to do with sports. IE Comcast will controll NESN and stop both sat. services from carrying it. Also some towns, mostly in Maine are fighting it. Most likely this is not what you wanted to here. Sorry
post #743 of 2507 Old 08-01-2005, 04:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleBuddy View Post

nuzzy I've been following the progress of this via the google alert system. I have it set up to send me anything that has anything to do with adelphia. So far nothing. There seems to be a fight starting over what the sell could do to Directv and Dish asa well as other cable systems. This has something to do with sports. IE Comcast will controll NESN and stop both sat. services from carrying it. Also some towns, mostly in Maine are fighting it. Most likely this is not what you wanted to here. Sorry

Could you give me a link to this? I'm very interested in the NESN and Comcast thing.
post #744 of 2507 Old 08-01-2005, 05:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:

They carry the SD version. Comcast does not own NESN They do have the HD version and that is not on DirectTVo or Dish.
post #745 of 2507 Old 08-01-2005, 08:29 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

The longer the better for me. I'm not a big Comcast fan after they threatened me with terminating my HSI after say I was downloading too much, yet they said they don't cap their bandwidth when I used to live in Plaistow.
post #746 of 2507 Old 08-02-2005, 07:01 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Spoke w/a friend last night, looks like Comcast switchover will be in February..
post #747 of 2507 Old 08-13-2005, 06:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Hi Folks,
Need Help !!!!!
I have a tech. comming out to install a Cable Card in my new Sony "XS-955" .
I realy need to know if the tech`s up here are carefull with other peoples stuff !
PLEASE , there not comming out till Thursday and I need to sleep sometime LOL
I just want to make sure that there not going to screw up my new tv.
Thanks for any help and suggestions.
Gary
O-BTW > sorry if this has been asked before , but was to lazy to surf thur 25 pages
post #748 of 2507 Old 08-14-2005, 06:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jedi29 View Post

Hi Folks,
Need Help !!!!!
I have a tech. comming out to install a Cable Card in my new Sony "XS-955" .
I realy need to know if the tech`s up here are carefull with other peoples stuff !
PLEASE , there not comming out till Thursday and I need to sleep sometime LOL
I just want to make sure that there not going to screw up my new tv.
Thanks for any help and suggestions.
Gary
O-BTW > sorry if this has been asked before , but was to lazy to surf thur 25 pages

I would do yourself a favor and make your way over to the other AVS forums and search around the hardware forums for how this is done with your set. You may find that will be more of an expert at it than any technician that they might send out. That's been my experience to date.

Also, is is covered in the owner's manual?

My gut feeling is that you should be OK. However, I'd be going through the HDTV hardware forum to look and see if there are any "gotchas".

Kevin
post #749 of 2507 Old 08-14-2005, 08:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Hi Kevin,
Thanks for the tip !
I`m sure that I would have no problem doing the install myself.
At first ( 3 times ) when I called the 800# they said "sure you can do it your self , if you think you can" and I stated that I knew what to do and to call them back with the code numbers. They said "fine , I`ll call in a work-order and you can pick up your card" , that was great until I went to pick up the card. I was told "there is no way that you or anyone else is going to install a cable card in there own tv " I went on to explain that I knew how to do it and that I called there 888# and they said "just go to your local office to pick it up" .
Anyway they never gave me a card , but set up a free install.
I just don`t want someone , albeit with good intentions, to mess up my new tv.
They {Adelphia} should really re-think there policy.
They hand out cable boxes and let people install them , a CC can`t be much to install IF it`s done right.
I`ll get whatever info from the other forums that I can , if you see something that would really help , please post a link , many thanks for replying and all your help.
Will post the results , whatever it may be.
Have a great weekend
Gary
post #750 of 2507 Old 08-18-2005, 07:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slaine View Post

Does anyone know if the HDMI enabled 8300HD is being provided to MA customers also?

Is the HDMI enabled on these boxes? I asked the person at the 800# and she said no. I then called tech support and spoke with someone else who seemed to know what he was talking abou and he also said no.

Is anyone using an 8300HD with Adelphia through the HDMI port?

I'm thinking about a 55" Sony A20 but I am concerned about PQ on SD channels. They said the only options are component or Cablecard. I really don't want to give up the features of the set top box and was hoping that HDMI would give me a better picture than component.

Anyone have any experience that may be applicable?

Thanks
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page