post #751 of 2507 Old 08-18-2005, 08:45 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stable Dave View Post

Is the HDMI enabled on these boxes? I asked the person at the 800# and she said no. I then called tech support and spoke with someone else who seemed to know what he was talking abou and he also said no.

Is anyone using an 8300HD with Adelphia through the HDMI port?

I'm thinking about a 55" Sony A20 but I am concerned about PQ on SD channels. They said the only options are component or Cablecard. I really don't want to give up the features of the set top box and was hoping that HDMI would give me a better picture than component.

Anyone have any experience that may be applicable?

Thanks

I believe HDMI is enabled, my neighbor has one and its working fine. I use a 3250 with DVI out. For best PQ on SD channels do one of the following:

Turn off 480p, 480p widescreen and 480i widescreen in the setup, then use pass-through so that SD channels go to your tv via 480i. The scaler in the tv is generally better than what is in the cable box.

Other option, use HDMI for HD channels only, do Composite out for SD. Yes composite can produce a better picture for SD.. component/hdmi for SD generally doesnt look good.

-t
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #752 of 2507 Old 08-18-2005, 09:37 AM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by wdwms View Post

I believe HDMI is enabled, my neighbor has one and its working fine. I use a 3250 with DVI out. For best PQ on SD channels do one of the following:

Turn off 480p, 480p widescreen and 480i widescreen in the setup, then use pass-through so that SD channels go to your tv via 480i. The scaler in the tv is generally better than what is in the cable box.

Other option, use HDMI for HD channels only, do Composite out for SD. Yes composite can produce a better picture for SD.. component/hdmi for SD generally doesnt look good.

-t

Thanks for the help. I would probably need to toggle inputs in the latter scenario though, right? I'm an incessant channel clicker and that would seem to be a lot of trouble.

Guess I'll just make sure I can return it if I don't like it.
post #753 of 2507 Old 08-18-2005, 09:41 AM
Advanced Member

Yah you'd need to toggle inputs, but seeing there is only 16 HD channels if you see something you like, flip over to it..

For me I do all my SD through Tivo, so i reserver the HDMI input for watching HD or watching SD if tivo is busy w/something i don't want to watch..

-t
post #754 of 2507 Old 08-19-2005, 06:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Have Question ?
I just had a CC installed ( Adelphia - Merrimack ) in my new Sony - XS955 and I have lost the ability to "channel program" & "add digital cannels" , they are grayed out of the tv`s menu.
OK - So the card takes over like a box , I can sort of live with that , BUT , what happens when you must do a "hard reset" OR hit the cable card reset ?
I would be logical to just turn off the tv until it gathered data from the server , or would I have to remove the card and do a reboot and call in the host ID # ?
This is something that we all should know how to do , IMO.
Also , the amp I was using was doing a fine job for realy clearing up the SD channels , but I found out that it was blocking INHD , IDHD2 , HD-Net & HD-Movies ( wathched Crossroads this afternoon and WOW ) anyway some of the SD digital channels were not affected by my amp.
So I disconnected it and now have to settle for SD in real SD , before using the amp , I realy couldn`t see why everyone says SD looks like crap , heck , my old Sony tube must realy be in bad shape ( still have it covered ).
As always , many thanks for any and all help ! Jim are you on this forum ?
Gary
post #755 of 2507 Old 09-01-2005, 06:27 AM

I have the 8000HD box & a Samsung HLP50. I was trying to use the DVI connection. It seems to work great except when using the DVR functions. When I pause and play, I get errors on the screen about the copy protection and I can't watch the recorded stuff.

Is this a cable box issue or a TV issue? I'm thinking of exchanging the box for the 8300HD box. Maybe that will work better.
post #756 of 2507 Old 09-03-2005, 10:41 AM

For some reason I can't get sound from either the digital coax or digital optical out of my Explorer 8300HD box.

I've tried everything (I think) including calling Adelphia, where the guy I spoke with had almost no idea what I was talking about. I've had this working with no problem in the past, but this is stumping me. I guess I can put in a service call, but I'm thinking it's probably something stupid I'm missing. I set the output to "dolby digital" in the settings menu but can't get anywhere.

Right now I'm stuck using stereo.

Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks in advance.
post #757 of 2507 Old 09-03-2005, 01:41 PM - Thread Starter

What receiver are you using and did you check that your input is what you think it is?

My older Denon receiver didn't like something about the Dolby signal, I think I used the non-dolby setting until I replaced my receiver.

-Dave
post #758 of 2507 Old 09-03-2005, 06:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDorBust View Post

What receiver are you using and did you check that your input is what you think it is?

My older Denon receiver didn't like something about the Dolby signal, I think I used the non-dolby setting until I replaced my receiver.

I finally figure it out. I had both the audio 1 and DVD set to digital coax 1. Now all I've got to do is consolidate those clickers.

Thanks
post #759 of 2507 Old 09-11-2005, 04:28 PM

Hello,

I've had the 8300 since February. It has been quite the struggle compared to my Tivo but I won't go there. The problem that I'm having is:

In my area, my "season pass" options are "Record all shows on this channel at any time" (which I've never used) and "Record all shows in this time slot"

Well, that's great, except for one of my shows is on Wednesday at 9pm. It also re-runs every single night at 9pm. So now I get 5 shows per week when I only want one.

Fine. I've lived with it since February, however NOW I have a conflict with recording two shows on Monday nights at 9pm because I always have this Wednesday night show also recording on Mondays. Ok, look. I'm no rocket scientist but give me a break. How difficult would it be to program an option that says "record this show on THIS DAY ONLY in this time slot" Screw the magic "first run flag" which we don't have in NH. I heard it's flaky at best.

SO my question is, how are people working around this? Is it possible to set up a manual recording that repeats weekly? I'm going to try that if possible. That's the only thing I can think of. Pretty pathetic if you ask me but I have to say, the picture quality on HD football with HDMI and Dolby 5.1 has been well worth the switch. Just annoying to use the 8300 and on top of that Adelphia doesn't even carry all the latest features.
post #760 of 2507 Old 09-12-2005, 11:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Hi -
I cannot find the unscrambled local HD stations for PBS, Fox or UPN (channel 56) on my cable when I use my LG LST-3410A HD tuner. I've found the others (ACB, CBS, NBC, & WB) at 112-1, 112-3, 112-2, and 90-13. PBS used to be 113-3, but seemed to have moved a year or so ago. Can anyone help me find the missing stations?

Thanks
post #761 of 2507 Old 09-14-2005, 11:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 17
I tried the New Hampshire Adelphia clear QAM stations and it did not work. I really want to find the local FOX but am having no luck. Please help!
post #762 of 2507 Old 09-19-2005, 04:30 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Yesterday's Patriots HD telecast was totally separate from the SD broadcast during breaks. The commercials were different, the lead-ins, both graphically and aurally were different. At one point while viewing split-screen, each channel had a competing product! There was a Kentucky Fried Chicken commercial on one screen going up against a Wendy's commercial on the other. My question is, does the station get paid twice? Do the advertisers know this going on? I'd be very curious, considering how much grief I got when I complained about CBS being unavailable in HD. They claimed it was revenue.
post #763 of 2507 Old 09-19-2005, 05:42 PM
AVS Special Member

I watched the "Pat`s" too in HD
To bad Brady and Co. didn`t have there game on.
How many channels do you get in 5.1 DD
I have a CC and so far on INHD , INHD2 , HDnet & HD Movies , of course this is a start.
I sure hope there will be more HD channels added , like WB , SciFi , TNT ...ect.
Gary
post #764 of 2507 Old 09-23-2005, 04:41 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Wednesday nights Lost taped in SD for me as well as the new show which followed up (blanking on the name).

I've also had problems with other shows -- 2 weeks ago Prison Break was in SD though this week it was in HD -- is anyone else experiencing this -- it's quite annoying.
post #765 of 2507 Old 09-23-2005, 10:32 AM

Lost and Prison Break recorded just fine for me on my 8300HD on channel 705 (in Hudson). I recorded Invasion but haven't watched it yet. I haven't had any problem with broadcasts being even partly in SD (other than commercials and the second or two following them) for several months.
Mike
post #766 of 2507 Old 10-16-2005, 09:15 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Yesterday's Notre Dame-USC college football matchup had pretty poor video. I saw parts of the beginning of the game on Comcast HD at Circuit City in Salem, as I was showing my wife the picture of the new Sony 60 inch SXRD television. I noticed macroblocking as well as splotchy gray in black areas. I freaked, thinking it was the set but when I clicked over to the Auburn game on CBS (?), the picture was fine. I thought it was just Comcast.

I got home and switched on my set and it appeared that Adelphia wasn't getting a better feed than Comcast. Did anyone else notice it?
post #767 of 2507 Old 10-16-2005, 09:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bresna View Post

Yesterday's Notre Dame-USC college football matchup had pretty poor video. I saw parts of the beginning of the game on Comcast HD at Circuit City in Salem, as I was showing my wife the picture of the new Sony 60 inch SXRD television. I noticed macroblocking as well as splotchy gray in black areas. I freaked, thinking it was the set but when I clicked over to the Auburn game on CBS (?), the picture was fine. I thought it was just Comcast.

I got home and switched on my set and it appeared that Adelphia wasn't getting a better feed than Comcast. Did anyone else notice it?

I had the same problems with WVIT-DT on Adelphia in Connecticut, as well as WVIT-DT OTA. I think it was a general NBC problem.
post #768 of 2507 Old 10-17-2005, 05:40 AM

I watched the whole game and had no issues in Hudson. Maybe the rain affected some of the lines? I have noticed that when it rains, I get some clicking/snapping noises on the digital stations, which goes away when I divert the sound to my surround system. Didn't happen during this game, but did later Saturday night. Was fine all day during Sundays football games, with the sun finally coming out.
Great game though, would have loved to see ND pull it out.
post #769 of 2507 Old 10-25-2005, 09:59 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I've been following this thread for a while and have a few questions that hopefully someone can help me out with. I'm trying to nail down my options for a dedicated theater I'm (hopefully) putting together in my basement.

1) Anyone using Adelphia's cablecard service? I'm considering this since I'm not really interested in any on-demand services and would like to save a few bucks. A quick search of the thread seems to indicate that not to many people go this route, are there compatibility issues?

2) Is there a place on Adelphia's website that posts their price list? I haven't been able to find it.

3) Is anyone using the 8300HD in pass-through mode to a video processor? I'm considering using a DVDO VP30 in my system. I realize that this question may be more suited to the VP30 or 8300HD forum, but I'm curious if anyone in the area is doing something similar with success. Feel free to PM me with a response on this so it doesn't take the thread off topic.

4) Is anyone running into issues with the HDMI output of the 8300HD into an HDMI switching receiver? The 8300HD forum has a bunch of people with HDCP issues, but it seems like this is also dependant on the cable provider keeping up with the updates from SA.

5) Any news on which HD channels we may gain/lose when the switch to Comcast occurs?

Thanks!

BDP-83 EAP (first 50)
post #770 of 2507 Old 10-25-2005, 10:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Hey BlahBlahBlah (nice nick, I love Arrested!),

1) can't help

2) Adelphia's web site is a mess, plain and simple. Even if you were able to extract a price out of it, it probably wouldn't be accurate as to what you'd be paying. There always seems to be a promotion going on, so you're going to get some kind of cut rate.

3) I'm using the 8300HD DVR via YPbPr with native passthrough to my Lumagen DVI processor. I have to go YPbPr since my HDTV is RGB in (no DVI or HDMI), and thus HDCP will prevent the DVI input from functioning. I'll PM or e-mail offline if you'd like.

4) can't help

5) Word on the street is that the switchover may occur in January or February. Absolutely no idea what's going to happen with programming or hardware as of yet. There's quite a bit of HD overlap, so the changes likely won't be very dramatic. Adelphia offers WMUR-DT(9), WENH-DT(11), HDNet, HDNetMovies, full time NESN-HD, NFL-HD, ESPN2-HD, where Comcast offers WLVI(56), WGBH(2) and NESN events on the INHD channels.
post #771 of 2507 Old 10-25-2005, 10:44 AM - Thread Starter

1) My Mits can accept a cable card, but Adelphia insists on performing the installation, and I wouldn't have a DVR, so I haven't bothered.

4) I tried a DVI to HDMI cable with my SA-8000 and it complained about HDCP. I am planning on picking up an SA-8300 to try it, but I have not yet done so. I will post my results when I get around to it (hopefully sooner rather than later because I need to return my rented modem given that I bought my own).

-Dave
post #772 of 2507 Old 10-25-2005, 11:53 AM

I could never get the 8000HD's DVI port to work with my Samsung TV. I brought it to the office and exchanged it for an 8300HD. I got an HDMI/DVI adapter to connect it. I haven't had any problems since doing this.
post #773 of 2507 Old 10-25-2005, 05:56 PM
Advanced Member

Thanks guys, I appreciate the info!

BDP-83 EAP (first 50)
post #774 of 2507 Old 10-26-2005, 12:32 PM
Advanced Member

One more question I have: When you sign up for HD service, does Adelphia come and do any sort of testing to ensure that the coax from the street to the house is the proper type/has enough bandwidth to handle the transmission without signal degradation?

BDP-83 EAP (first 50)
post #775 of 2507 Old 10-26-2005, 12:42 PM

I don't know about that. I'd assume they wouldn't come out unless there is a problem.

In my case, I was switching from satellite to Adelphia. I wanted a new cable as I had "accidently" cut the cable when digging in the yard. They ran a new cable as part of my install so that was nice.
post #776 of 2507 Old 10-26-2005, 01:35 PM
AVS Special Member

I signed up for Adelphia for a newly constructed home, and they had to send out a guy to do a "site survey" to make sure that I was going to get a good enough signal. It was only after this guy gave his OK that I got to schedule an install appointment.

When the installer came, he was VERY thorough. He replaced the brand new splitter my electrician had installed with one of his own, he re-terminated ALL of the coaxial cables, performed signal tests coming in from the street. You name it, he did it. All of this in a two hour install window. I was impressed. He didn't wait for the 8300HD DVR to come up, since that should have been the easy part. Turns out it wasn't...

I did have problems after the initial 8300HD DVR install (picture breakups on HDTV channels, poor analog quality). They sent the same installer out to do a signal quality test at the DVR jack, and found out that the electrician had goofed on the coaxial jack install, leading to poor signal quality. He had it fixed in 10 minutes.
post #777 of 2507 Old 10-26-2005, 02:15 PM
Advanced Member

You know, for all the bitching people have done about Adelphia (and they've certainly deserved it from time to time), I for one am nervous about the switchover to Comcast in terms of PQ and HD lineup. Time will tell I guess...
post #778 of 2507 Old 10-26-2005, 05:33 PM
AVS Special Member

My 2 Cents
I have been here a long time , and I have seen many ( well 3 ) cable co`s.
1st there was Americable , most complained about the rate increases , so they left.
2nd was Harron Com. , same thing , lack of support as well as other factors.
3rd , now we have Adelphia , and now there leaving soon.
4th , Comcast ????
No one really knows what that will be like. We can count on an other rate increase , but what else can we count on ?
More HD maybe TNT-HD ? maybe less HD ... ie: no HDnet or INHD , both of which I enjoy very much. Maybe we`ll get WB-HD ? Who knows ?
Sometimes I wish Americable never left !! , Be it ( they ) good or bad , they were more consistant than those that followed.
Like I said , just my two cents
Gary
post #779 of 2507 Old 10-26-2005, 05:39 PM
AVS Special Member

O--For those of you who lost cable yesterday , I was told that you will be getting a credit for "loss of service"
Just a FYI
Gary
post #780 of 2507 Old 10-26-2005, 09:21 PM
AVS Special Member

My cable modem dropped out yesterday, I wonder if that's covered. Does one have to file a complaint to get the credit, or will they pick up the tab automatically ?
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page