New Hampshire - Comcast - Page 27 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

post #781 of 2507 Old 10-27-2005, 05:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Hi Paul,
I placed a second call Tuesday night and they said still out and those affected would receive a "loss a service" credit. Of course it never hurts to be heard
You had TV but no Web ? Strange
Good luck,
Gary
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #782 of 2507 Old 10-27-2005, 06:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
It was weird. My cable modem had to do the whole 5-30 minute re-train, as it does when you initially bring it up. Once it re-trained (or as the installer put it, "find it's frequency"), things were good.

Not having internet access wouldn't be that bad, except we're still in the honeymoon phase of our Vonage service. Trying to sell the wife on it is a tough sell when the net connection's down...
post #783 of 2507 Old 10-27-2005, 09:05 AM
Advanced Member

Has anyone else had a problem playing back Fox shows recorded to their 8300HD recently? To be more specific, I had a bunch of FOX shows scheduled to be recorded while I was on vacation. All the shows "appeared" to have recorded and were present in the recorded programs list on the 8300HD. However, when I attempted to play back the programs, it just redirected me to the main DVR channel.

Since I couldn't play them back, I deleted them, which is when I noticed that the disk utilization % did not go down, implying that the shows weren't actually recorded, or were automatically deleted after the fact.

I'm curious if anyone else has seen something like this occur in the last few weeks.
post #784 of 2507 Old 10-30-2005, 04:31 AM - Thread Starter

I did pickup an SA-8300 and I can confirm that HDMI works with my Mitsubish 52575 DLP. I have been able to watch premium HD channels with no complaints about HDCP (either live or recorded).

-Dave
post #785 of 2507 Old 10-30-2005, 04:42 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jedi29 View Post

My 2 Cents
I have been here a long time , and I have seen many ( well 3 ) cable co`s.
1st there was Americable , most complained about the rate increases , so they left.
2nd was Harron Com. , same thing , lack of support as well as other factors.
3rd , now we have Adelphia , and now there leaving soon.
4th , Comcast ????
No one really knows what that will be like. We can count on an other rate increase , but what else can we count on ?
More HD maybe TNT-HD ? maybe less HD ... ie: no HDnet or INHD , both of which I enjoy very much. Maybe we`ll get WB-HD ? Who knows ?
Sometimes I wish Americable never left !! , Be it ( they ) good or bad , they were more consistant than those that followed.
Like I said , just my two cents
Gary

Last Tuesday's outage was the worst I have seen in quite a while. I think Adelphia has been doing the best job of any of the incarnations, although I was disapointed when they switched to a nationwide support number.

However, the better service can probably be attributed to the switchover to fiber. The digital over coax was a disaster.

Has anybody heard the cause of last Tuesday's outage? I was out for 8 hours before service was restored around 8PM. I believe some were out for a longer period.

-Dave
post #786 of 2507 Old 11-04-2005, 08:55 PM

Dear god, this 8300HD is a complete piece of !@#$!!!!!! PLEASE! Someone tell me there is a firmware update or some HUGE changes coming down the pipe or I'm switching to Satellite. Seriously, I pay $125 a MONTH for basic digital cable + internet which is friggin highway robbery and then to top it off this friggin sub-standard beta test 8300HD piece of useless garbage up and decides to just drop shows whenever it feels like it. This single cable company bullcrap is ridiculous. If there were competing cable companies in the area this would never fly. PLEASE someone tell me it's me. I would love it to be a fluke and I can have them switch out my box and all my problems would be solved. The majority of my shows were dropped this week: Apprentice, Lost, Threshold, Killer Instinct, American Chopper... all dropped though if I look in the "to be recorded" list is shows them all. This thing is a friggin' piece of crap and I am 110% dissatisfied. It has been a tremendous struggle from day one with this heap having to babysit every show. I might as well get a VCR for F sake if I'm going to have to reschedule my shows every night.

Well, that's all. Just venting and wanting to see if anyone else has shows dropping left and right. PLEASE tell me there are alternatives on the way. I rue the day I sold my Tivo and switched to this crap. The HD capability is not worth the aggrivation.

BTW, as for all the people asking about HDMI it works great for me, issue free. (now that I said that it'll probably flake out knowing this POS box).
post #787 of 2507 Old 11-04-2005, 09:09 PM

It's weird how some people are having problems with the shows recording and other people (myself included) haven't had any. Maybe you should try exchanging boxes? I'd assume that we're all running the same firmware.

I've been keeping an eye on DirecTV's HD programming ever since I switch from it to cable for Internet access. The HD stuff is still pitifull in comparison to cable and satellite Internet is useless for work purposes. Once Verizon gets their fiber stuff run and I can get high speed Internet from them, I'd think of switching. The features of the DirecTV guides blows away the cable companies. For example, why can't I remove all the channels I don't get from the guide?

Anyways, hope you get the DRV stuff resolved. Mine probably won't work on monday and I'll start missing Futura and Family Guy.
post #788 of 2507 Old 11-05-2005, 08:40 AM
AVS Special Member

DirecTV is in the middle of a large transition to a new HDTV scheme (MPEG-4, new receivers, new antennae, etc), so I'd be wary of jumping in with both feet right now. Give 'em a year to fix the bugs, and then I'd seriously consider them.

Also keep in mind that Comcast is getting ready to scoop up the remnants of Adelphia. Perhaps Comcast's deep pockets will allow them to switch us over to the far superior Passport software (rather than the POS SARA crap we use now). Or, they could switch us all over to 6412's (which I've used before and isn't bad). TiVo is porting their OS to the 6412 right now, and it should be available next year as well. I can't wait for that to happen!

As it stands, the 8300 will continue to be Adelphia's only DVR option for the near term. Big things are very likely to occur next year.
post #789 of 2507 Old 11-05-2005, 11:10 AM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 11
It looks like the firewire ports are active on the SA8300HD now. I've managed to change channels via firefire, but have not been able to record anything yet -- anyone else have any luck?
post #790 of 2507 Old 11-05-2005, 01:22 PM

Well, that was a failure.

My SA8300HD is really acting flaky now, randomly rebooting, etc.

I'm running Win XP MCE w/Rollup 2.

I installed the Panasonic D-VHS drivers when the found new hardware wizard came up with SA8300HD Tuner AV/C Device. Everything was setup perfectly (also installed this XP SP2 firewire patch: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/885222/en-us) and installed the firewirebeta drivers from timmmoore -- channel changing via firewire worked *somewhat*. But recording, on any channel, whether HD PBS, CBS, etc produced nothing more than a 0k .ts file.

I'm going to unhook the firewire cable as my box has flaked out (rebooted already about 4 times). Anyone else have any luck?
post #791 of 2507 Old 11-19-2005, 09:56 PM

Hello,

Yes, Comcast is on the way. I realize that no hardware or service is flawless so we'll see if they improve things or not. I took the time to completely cleanse every recording from the box then reschedule everything. Seems to be OK this week. I agree that DirectTV HD lineup is pretty poor AND I want to keep Adelphia as my broadband service (I have to say, their broadband service is the best I've had ever. Super fast, uber reliable). But if I do that, the combination of both companies/services doesn't save me any $$$ . Haven't messed with Firewire or external SATA. I use HDMI for the connector and that's fine.

-TB
post #792 of 2507 Old 11-27-2005, 03:42 PM
Advanced Member

Has anyone heard of a possible ETA on the Comcast transition?
post #793 of 2507 Old 11-27-2005, 05:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by nuzzy View Post

Has anyone heard of a possible ETA on the Comcast transition?

From what I hear from some people at Adelphia, they expect everything to be approved and the deal to be completed anywhere between March and June. After that, no one seems to have any idea how long a transition to Comcast would take. It seems that the transition could be on a system-to-system basis, as opposed to everyone going over at the same time. I guess it depends on what systems still need upgrades, and other factors.
post #794 of 2507 Old 12-01-2005, 05:25 PM

Well, channel 732 (I think) just popped up for me, another PBS in HD.
Then my HD box croaked as did my SD box..
SD is back but HD down -- anyone else?
post #795 of 2507 Old 12-02-2005, 08:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Hmmmm.... Interesting. My 8300 DVR box croaked last night as well. It was fine this morning, but no 732 in my guide data yet...
post #796 of 2507 Old 12-05-2005, 10:55 AM

After 5 great years with the D* (satellite), I am giving cable the try...
There are several reasons for the switch over as follows:
1) having an HD Sony VPL-HS20 projector I want it put to full use
2) I can do it with the D* but I would have to fork $600+ for an HD box with PVR, no lease program, and also does only mpeg2 with no upgrade possible!!!
3) extra bucks for local channels
4) changeover will save me $$ in upfront fees and monthly payments since I also have broadband
5) after one year I will be considered a new customer to D* if I decide to go back and therefor can take advantage of "new customers only" deals...

Change over will be occuring tomorrow morning and hope all goes well...

One more thing, getting $200 d* buy back program for my 5 year old boxes...
post #797 of 2507 Old 12-05-2005, 10:59 AM
Advanced Member

Good luck - and welcome!
post #798 of 2507 Old 12-05-2005, 11:01 AM
AVS Special Member

rmoscoso,

Good luck with the install. My only advice would be to : 1) try to simplify things up front for the installer, so that his job is easier to complete and debug, and 2) check as much stuff as you can for correctness before the installer leaves.

Check the simple things like : do you get all the channels you think you've subscribed to (HBO, HD channels, etc). Make sure your DVI/HDMI gear handshakes well. All that good stuff.
post #799 of 2507 Old 12-05-2005, 12:50 PM

Thanks for the advise...

The only thing is that my projector has an hdmi input which i am already using with my dvd player and it also has a dvi input which will connect to the hdmi output of the SA8300HD. However since i only have a DVI to DVI cable I will need to stop by Radio Shack and pick-up an adapter just to make sure every thing works out will the installer is there...
post #800 of 2507 Old 12-07-2005, 07:15 AM
AVS Special Member

rmoscoso,

Any updates ?
post #801 of 2507 Old 12-07-2005, 08:15 AM

Short update...

Everything went ok. Ok because they brought an older version box, one with a DVI out put, which is ok for my setup since my projector has a DVI input. However, the installer and I agreed that he should get me the newer version since I was worried about the older firmware etc. After the new box was installed, and the box was activated (surprised to learn that these new boxes have their own IP address and can only work after they are activated over the internet). Since I have rewired most of my house and I did not do a great job with the connectors the installer redid all my connectors.

Though I have not had the chance, and probably wont until this weekend to check everything out, no problems with channels. Very impressed with the DiscvoeryHD channel, HDNet, HDNetMovies and some of the local channels. I left a game recorded on ESPN2HD and watched a few minutes of it.

I must say that the SA8300HD box seems very simple to use. I have one issue left to resolve and is as follows: I have my box in the theater room connected via HDMI to my projector, I also have a coax running to another standard televison on another floor I need to get the IR extender so I can control the box from upstairs. Also when viewing from the standard T.V. at times I would get a blank screen with green sign saying "HDMI/DVI not activated or enabled" or something like that. Question: Does anyone know if I have to go into the setup the RF port of the box correctly or does this box allow only one output to be activated?? I say correctly because the message pops up rarely when switching channels. I am also looking into getting a 50' s-video/audio cable instead of the coax but i need to make sure ift the outputs are enabled. Also, even the HD channels were displayed on my standard t.v.

That's all for now and I will posting more detailed info over the weekend.
post #802 of 2507 Old 12-10-2005, 03:50 PM - Thread Starter

I accidently knocked out my HDMI connection from my Mits DLP a few weeks ago, since then the 8300 has refused to work over HDMI through my Yamaha RX-V4600 receiver. It does, however, work when connected directly to the Mits.

The 8300 complains that the connection doesn't support CP over HDMI. Yamaha support says this is a known issue using cable settop boxes, but I don't understand why it was working prior to my accidently knocking out the HDMI connector.

Has anyone else had similar 8300 / HDMI issues?

-Dave
post #803 of 2507 Old 12-12-2005, 11:36 AM

I just had my Adelphia HD and DVR service installed. What a nightmare!!
1) The tech spent 45 minutes (no exageration!) trying to program the cable remote to work with my tv.
2) In his frustration and incompetence, he completely overlooked the initial set up of the SA8300 cable box with my tv through the "HD Setup Guide Screen".
3) After he left, I performed the installation myself after reading the SA8300 HD manual online. Don't they train these people???
4) After a day of watching HD, the HDMI handshake problem popped up. Every time I turned off my Panny TH-42PX50U, the SA8300 reset back to the default 480i. Switching to a component video cable solved the problem. (Thanks to the AVS Forum archives)

Now here's my big issue....
5) My VOD service is gone. I called once and a rep told me DVR was not compatible with VOD. I called a second time and a different rep tried flashing my box with a signal to restore the VOD service. Still nothing. I also tried unplugging the box to reset it, but that did nothing as well. Has anyone else had this problem? Any ideas?
Thanks
post #804 of 2507 Old 12-12-2005, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by F1GP View Post

4) After a day of watching HD, the HDMI handshake problem popped up. Every time I turned off my Panny TH-42PX50U, the SA8300 reset back to the default 480i. Switching to a component video cable solved the problem. (Thanks to the AVS Forum archives)

Now here's my big issue....
5) My VOD service is gone. I called once and a rep told me DVR was not compatible with VOD. I called a second time and a different rep tried flashing my box with a signal to restore the VOD service. Still nothing. I also tried unplugging the box to reset it, but that did nothing as well. Has anyone else had this problem? Any ideas?
Thanks

4. I haven't had any problems like this over the HDMI connection to my Samsung DLP. I'm using a HDMI/DVI connector on the box since I'm using the Samsung's DVI port instead. I don't think this will make a difference though.

5. Has anyone else ever had this problem - Do you mean terrible customer service or the VOD/DVR issue? LOL. I've had the terrible customer service but my VOD & DVR are working together fine. Sounds like you need to keep calling until you talk to a decent agent or try asking for a supervisor. That might work. I had them tell me how my wiring was bad the other Sunday because my Internet connection didn't work. Good thing those wiring gremlins were working that Sunday because they magically fixed the connection...
post #805 of 2507 Old 01-03-2006, 05:15 PM

What is up with WMUR? THere "HD" station has been SD for about a week now. Thank goodness we have a choice with WCVB, but what gives?
post #806 of 2507 Old 01-03-2006, 06:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Ya or yuck ,LOL
I just noticed that too , well it is Adelphia
Are you using a CC or a box ?
I`m using a CC with my XS-955 , and if your using a card , what the heck is a 161-6 error ?
I get those a bunch of times and have to reset the card.
WMUR 480i HD , now thats funny ! , since they were the first HD ch. in NE !
Gary
post #807 of 2507 Old 01-04-2006, 05:30 PM

I am using the old 3250 box until they get passthru enabled for the DVR. But I see tonight the game is in HD on WUR.
post #808 of 2507 Old 01-04-2006, 07:15 PM
AVS Special Member

There's a note on the Boston-OTA thread about WMUR suffering an HD hardware problem, which should be resolved shortly. Check out the latest few posts for details. As backwards as WMUR seems sometimes, they're not actually reverting back to SD...
post #809 of 2507 Old 01-05-2006, 04:08 AM

Someone in the DBS Forum told me that WMUR-DT had lost their STL and they should have it repaired by now (or very soon.....). Haven't checked 9-1 to see, though...
post #810 of 2507 Old 01-05-2006, 06:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Correction : it was the Boston-Comcast thread. HERE

In any event, it looks as though WMUR's looking to have it fixed quickly (next day or so).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page