New Hampshire - Comcast - Page 28 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #811 of 2507 Old 01-08-2006, 09:41 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I picked up an SA 8300HD DVR box yesterday and bid a fond farewell to my trusty SA 3250HD STB. It was a trooper! I had to get the DVR because I'll be traveling the next few weeks and I need my Patriots in HD!

First things first:
1) This box was a piece of cake to set up. I bought a HDMI to DVI converter at the Radio Shack in the mall right by the Londonderry office and my TV acted is if nothing was different. It was straight swap.
2) The guide comes up when you press guide!! Wow! I was so sick of the SA 3250HD's annoying requirement of pressing "Guide" followed by "Sel" to get the guide. One button and the guide comes up.
3) The HD channels come up so much faster! If I had known the 8300HD was this much better, I would have made this switch months ago. So much faster than the 3250HD.
4) I am not getting HDNET, HDNET Movies, INHD, INHD2, ESPNHD, ESPN2HD, DISCHD or NFLHD. Everything else is working though. I expect it's just a matter of my box getting a signal from the mother ship.

Anyone on the fence, I'd recommend this so far.

Oh yeah, one problem so far is that I recorded the Pats/Jags game as an experiment. The darn thing stopped recording with two minutes to go in the game! I'll have to look into how to program the thing to record Chan/Start Time/Stop Time. I assume it'll be easy to do.

I have a question for anyone out there who's tried: Does the SATA external port work? What drive would you recommend?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #812 of 2507 Old 01-08-2006, 09:45 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by bresna View Post

I picked up an SA 8300HD DVR box yesterday and bid a fond farewell to my trusty SA 3250HD STB. It was a trooper! I had to get the DVR because I'll be traveling the next few weeks and I need my Patriots in HD!

First things first:
1) This box was a piece of cake to set up. I bought a HDMI to DVI converter at the Radio Shack in the mall right by the Londonderry office and my TV acted is if nothing was different. It was straight swap.
2) The guide comes up when you press guide!! Wow! I was so sick of the SA 3250HD's annoying requirement of pressing "Guide" followed by "Sel" to get the guide. One button and the guide comes up.
3) The HD channels come up so much faster! If I had known the 8300HD was this much better, I would have made this switch months ago. So much faster than the 3250HD.
4) I am not getting HDNET, HDNET Movies, INHD, INHD2, ESPNHD, ESPN2HD, DISCHD or NFLHD. Everything else is working though. I expect it's just a matter of my box getting a signal from the mother ship.

Anyone on the fence, I'd recommend this so far.

Oh yeah, one problem so far is that I recorded the Pats/Jags game as an experiment. The darn thing stopped recording with two minutes to go in the game! I'll have to look into how to program the thing to record Chan/Start Time/Stop Time. I assume it'll be easy to do.

I have a question for anyone out there who's tried: Does the SATA external port work? What drive would you recommend?

Glad you have had success 1.5 years ago i traded the 8300 back in for the 3250.. however does the 8300 offer Passthru and the ability to use HDMI AND S-video out at the same time? the 3250 does and thats how i have mine hooked up to Tivo.. Plus I upconvert my HD signals to 1080i as I hate 720p in native..

Oh well i'll probably opt for the tivo series 3 when it comes out later this year:
http://www.livejournal.com/community...rs/tag/series3

-t
post #813 of 2507 Old 01-08-2006, 09:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

This same thing happened for me (here in CT) when I got my 8300HD. I waited for hours and the channels never came in. I had to call Adelphia up and within 2 minutes of being connected to the person, they sent a signal to my box and the channels magically came on. I suggest you do the same.

Quote:

I haven't done so myself, but everyone that I've heard of who has tried it has had success. I believe when you turn the 8300HD on with the SATA drive attached, it asks you if you'd like to format. You format it, and then your DVR works just like it did before but with more hard drive space. It's seemless!
post #814 of 2507 Old 01-08-2006, 12:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulieORF View Post

This same thing happened for me (here in CT) when I got my 8300HD. I waited for hours and the channels never came in. I had to call Adelphia up and within 2 minutes of being connected to the person, they sent a signal to my box and the channels magically came on. I suggest you do the same.

Yup. All it takes is a call. Unfortunately, I had to make several calls since Adelphia had managed to forget EVERY SINGLE piece of ordering information I had given them when I set up my install appointment. Took a few days to sort everything out...

I too shall be re-joining the TiVolution once the Series3 is shipped. Had to ditch my DirecTiVo for the 8300HD DVR here in my new house due to no line of sight on the DirecTV birds, and the need for HD DVR fun.
post #815 of 2507 Old 01-09-2006, 06:32 AM

I heard a story on the radio this morning that TIVO is in tough financial straits. I'd be hesitant to count on them being around in the future. With this DVR, I really don't see why I'd need TIVO anyway. It does what TIVO would do. Why have both?
post #816 of 2507 Old 01-09-2006, 06:49 AM
AVS Special Member

It does NOT do what TiVo does. It is a poor imitation at best.

In the past 3 years, I've used all the major DVR platforms on a regular basis at home : DirecTV's TiVo, Comcast's 6412 HD DVR, and Adelphia's 8300HD DVR. Without a doubt, the quality of the DVRs varied greatly.

Comcast's box liked to crash in the middle of the night, but was relatively easy to use and operate.

TiVo is the gold standard as far as I'm concerned. Best interface, best features and they actually care about their customers. Bug fixes would be issued in a matter of days. Try that with a cable company. Yeah, right. Try calling a cable Customer Service Rep with a problem : "Gee, we've never heard of that problem before. Reboot your box."

The 8300 is the Fisher-Price box of the bunch. Poor interface. Poor functionality. Software that's over a year old. Why can't you watch a program from the beginning while it's recording ? Why does the graphical interface look like one step above a Commodore 64 ? Why is it next to impossible to find programs in the program guide ? Why is there only 6 days of program information ? Why does this thing record EVERY SINGLE EPISODE of a series, when I only want to record new episodes ? Why is the remote a piece 'o junk ? The questions could go on for days...

The 8300 is the absolute bare minimum for DVR functionality. You'd be surprised and impressed by what's possible on a real HD DVR box...
post #817 of 2507 Old 01-09-2006, 09:01 AM

Paul, from someone coming from a VCR, this DVR is a godsend. It does what I want it to do which is record a show for later playback. The fact that it does HD makes it as huge improvement. What you've described are additional features which are not available with VHS so I don't really miss them.
post #818 of 2507 Old 01-09-2006, 09:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Agreed. For DVR first-timers, this thing is the best thing since sliced bread. However, as someone who hasn't used a VCR in 6-7 years, this thing leaves a lot to be desired.
post #819 of 2507 Old 01-09-2006, 07:13 PM

Got to agree with Paul in regard to the DVR functionality. Seems SA could have put better software in the box. The 8300 DVR might be stripped out, but the price is right for HD recording. For cheap HD recording I can live with the crappy feature set. Got a feeling once stand alone HD DVRs (like the S3) hit the market the cable companies will step up their game with software features.
DJ
post #820 of 2507 Old 01-13-2006, 01:16 PM

Any idea when we are going to get some new HD channels around here? Im a bit north of Boston and Adelphia hasnt added an HD channel in a long time since I believe UPN. I noticed Adelphia has been pickin up regional Fox Sports in HD around the country, but yet nothing for Fox Sports New England in one of the biggest markets? TNT HD? Anything?
post #821 of 2507 Old 01-13-2006, 01:20 PM
AVS Special Member

From what I can gather, we've already got one of the best HD packages available in the country. Sure, there's other stuff out there worth gettting (Universal HD for example), but we've already gotten most of the good stuff already.

Having had Comcast for a bit before moving to an Adelphia town, you're not missing anything by not having TNT-HD. Unless you really, REALLY like upconverted and stretched SD programming, and about 100 showings of Law&Order a day.
post #822 of 2507 Old 01-13-2006, 01:22 PM
Advanced Member

I would think (although I don't know for sure) that they probably are on a holding pattern up here with the pending switch-over to Comcast.

I'm just hoping that we don't lose any channels once we switch companies.
post #823 of 2507 Old 01-13-2006, 01:36 PM
AVS Special Member

The only differences I see between Comcast (Nashua) and Adelphia (Amherst) I see :

* Adelphia has Ch 11 instead of Ch 2 for PBS. I'd rather have WGBH, but WENH isn't bad.
* Adelphia has Ch 5 + 9 for ABC. No biggie.
* Adelphia has ESPN2, but will soon be added by Comcast (if not already).
* Adelphia has NFL-HD. No biggie.
* Adelphia has HDnet and HDNet Movies. Biggie.

* Comcast has WB56 WLVI. I don't care, but the wife would love Gilmore Girls in HD.
* Comcast has TNT HD. Yeehaw! 100 showings of Law & Order a day!

The only thing I can see losing is HDNet, unless Comcast decides to pick up the costs for it on the transition. Since they haven't done so already, I'm not optimistic.
post #824 of 2507 Old 01-13-2006, 02:17 PM
Advanced Member

Paul,
Agree on most of your analysis, except for a few points:
PBS - we get the HD national feed (as far as I can tell) from ENH. Is it the same with GBH?
ABC - it comes in handy to have both, especially when MUR has problems (which seems to happen quite often).
NFL-HD - It is a biggie to me - NFL Game of the Week is a great production, especially when the Pats are involved.
Agree on the rest, especially HDNet/Movies.

We'll see....
post #825 of 2507 Old 01-13-2006, 02:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Need Help !
Did my bad CC screw up the tuner in my Sony PDP ?
Or was it just a real Firday the 13th ?
Here`s the deal , last nught I`m watching ER and all of a sudden the channel goes bonkers , fragments and then nada. So I reset the cable card and , while doing so noticed my remote was acting screwy , like it had dead batteries. Anyway the batteries in it are new and this is my true horror story. Finally was able to get to reset , only to find 75% of my channels (both HD & SD) were missing , GONE , --WTF so I turned off the tv and unplugged the cable card. Then turned on my tv and here`s where it gets really wierd , ny XS usually takes 9 sec. to power up ( yes I do count the light flashing ) , only this time it took almost 13 ( woulnd`t you knwo it ). so I had to do a manual channel search ( about an hr. wasted ), then the picture was fine , no CC so I had to hunt for any HD`s to be found ( and they were not on 7... like they shoud have been, Anyway found I was missing most even ones that you get without a CC.
So , I called Adelphia and explained my fun and joy , and was help by a very nice lady , anyway we went through the whole thing of putting the CC back in and then back out and somewere in the process my tv desided to correct itself. After a series of "hits" and a call back my tv fired up with 9 blinks with a CC did the reset thing and only 38 analog and no digital, so I gave her all the info I could get from the menu , Mac Address, BootRom ect. + confirmed Auth.# and it all checked out but the CC had gone bad, got a guy comming Tues. asked her to ask him to bring extras. Anyway while she was on the line , I asked her to hold while I removed the CC , so turned of tv and removed CC then powered up the TV and bingo 9 flashes so tv heel thy self , not so fast.
Hung up the phone and turned the tv off , about a half hour latter , turned tv on ( just to make sure ) 13 blinks WTF.
So I called A` again and spoke with another lady who wanted me to use a bad CC , $!~~ not what i said but thought , and further explained the prroblem and that I had callded earlier and spoke to `C , and she was most helpful and all I wanted was a "hit" , so she said put the CC back in explained that I dont get many channels , but she said I need something to hit , so OK back goes the CC and she zapps it (tv off _of course) and then I turned it on and counted 16 blinks , so I said we`re going the wrong way here. Please try it my way , she said OK , so turned the tv off , pulled out the CC and asked her to give me a "null signal" hit. OK she replied so I turned on the tv and bingo 9 blinks.
However , since then I have turned the tv off and now I`m getting 13 blinks.
Can someone with a higher brain function than me help figure thsi out, please.
THIS IS NOT A FRIDAY THE 13 th JOKE , although it would make a good one.
It just doesn`t make sence , the only thing I can imagine is the when the CC got fried it took part of my tuner with it , picture is not as smooth , asa before even when the CC was installed , and yes I am using a broadband amp , a Mortorola. PPPPPPlease help
Thanks , Gary
Somewhere south of Ware
post #826 of 2507 Old 01-18-2006, 08:31 AM
Advanced Member

Is it me or has Adelphia gone lame duck in regards to adding new content? I can't remember the last time we got a new channel!
post #827 of 2507 Old 01-18-2006, 08:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuzzy View Post

Is it me or has Adelphia gone lame duck in regards to adding new content? I can't remember the last time we got a new channel!

Yes, I've spokent to a high ranking member of the Northeast Regional office of Adelphia pretty much summing up Adelphia as lame duck when it comes to negotiating new carriage agreements. He's said that most decisions will be left for Comcast to make when they come in. So don't expect any new channels until Comacst is in.
post #828 of 2507 Old 01-18-2006, 08:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Yup, Adelphia's gonna sit tight until Comcast comes in and starts calling the shots. Makes sense. Shouldn't be too much longer now...
post #829 of 2507 Old 01-18-2006, 10:07 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Simoneau View Post

Yup, Adelphia's gonna sit tight until Comcast comes in and starts calling the shots. Makes sense. Shouldn't be too much longer now...

I hope not much longer...any ideas when?
post #830 of 2507 Old 01-18-2006, 10:09 AM
AVS Special Member

No idea. Original word on the street was 1st quarter 2006, but then might have been pushed back a few months.
post #831 of 2507 Old 01-19-2006, 05:19 AM
glp

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulieORF View Post

Yes, I've spokent to a high ranking member of the Northeast Regional office of Adelphia pretty much summing up Adelphia as lame duck when it comes to negotiating new carriage agreements. He's said that most decisions will be left for Comcast to make when they come in. So don't expect any new channels until Comacst is in.

Hey I just noticed that Fox Sports New England is showing up after ESPN2 it looks like they only broadcast Celtics Home Games in HD but it's something new.
Gary
post #832 of 2507 Old 01-19-2006, 05:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by glp View Post

Hey I just noticed that Fox Sports New England is showing up after ESPN2 it looks like they only broadcast Celtics Home Games in HD but it's something new.
Gary

Lucky duck..
post #833 of 2507 Old 01-22-2006, 06:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Had quite a bit of trouble with my 8300 HD DVR box on Thursday night. My scheduled recordings were the Bruins game (NESN-HD) and My Name is Earl (NBC-HD). The box proceeded to crash every three minutes for quite some time. I tried hard reboots a few times, with no effect. The box would come up for a little while, get to channel 1 (Adelphia info page) and not let me change channels. A funny pattern ( a dash, "U", upside-down "U", dash ) would appear on the front display of the box, and then "boot". Repeat and rinse.

I was this close --> <-- to boxing up the DVR and bringing it down to the local Adelphia office when, it decided to not crash any more.

When I got to be able to drive the box, I went to the recordings section. There were probably 30-40 recordings of 2-3 minutes a piece, of both the Bruins and Earl programs. I was able to delete them all after while a while of time on the remote. Box seemed fine after that. Side effect seemed to be that I had lost authorization to watch NESN-HD, which I should be getting because it's in the Broadcast-HD package.

Called up Adelphia Customer Support. Tier1 was useless, Tier2 was quite helpful. She said that the problem was that I wasn't getting all of the channels I should be getting, since I had a "metallic" package. Probably a by-product of Adelphia's Byzantine channel lineups and packaging. So, she lit up *ALL* of the HD's for me, with the exception of the premium HDs (Shotime, Cinemax, Starz). Not sure if she was right or not, but it's nice to get the HDNets, INHDs, ESPNs.
post #834 of 2507 Old 01-23-2006, 06:59 AM

You should have been getting them all along if you have the HD Package.

Jason
post #835 of 2507 Old 01-23-2006, 07:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Well, that's the thing, isn't it ? All I want is HD, HBO and a DVR. To get this, Adelphia demands that I get this package, that package, this other package, this "metallic" package, and so forth. Extremely confusing.

Before moving to this Adelphia town, I had lived in a Comcast town. Much simpler to order, and I believe there are ways to receive HDs without having to order everything else under the sun as well. I'm anxious to see what Comcast does with us once they take over for Adelphia. Sure, we'll probably get a rate increase. But then again, they might actually pony up the cash to update the 8300 firmware to something worthwhile.
post #836 of 2507 Old 02-05-2006, 04:17 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Is it just me or is the center channel out on ABC for the Super Bowl? Worked fine for the first few 10 minutes or so and now gone.. All other channels are fine.
post #837 of 2507 Old 02-05-2006, 05:09 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by macattackman View Post

Is it just me or is the center channel out on ABC for the Super Bowl? Worked fine for the first few 10 minutes or so and now gone.. All other channels are fine.

WMUR seems to have lost the announcers for a good portion of the 1st half.. I switched over to the Boston ABC, although their 5.1 isn't as good.. But WMUR is back and I'm over on that one.. not sure if the announcers are broadcast on the center channel only..

Man, is it me, or are the Stones just aweful... Mick sounds terrible..

-t
post #838 of 2507 Old 02-06-2006, 08:08 AM

MUR will never solve their HD audio problems! They refuse to acknowledge them, so how can they fix them?

Thank god Adelphia added Boston's WCVB or we'd be stuck with MUR and their bush-league HD broadcast.
post #839 of 2507 Old 02-06-2006, 11:13 AM

The audio problem on WMUR (at my location, anyway) started right after the last LOCAL cutaway prior to the start of the 2nd quarter...It lasted for about 12 minutes. The DD5.1 was shut OFF during the local break and NOT reactivated after the switch back to Network....Thus, we got wonderful (ambient) crowd noise...and NO commentary....You'd have thought SOMEONE would have noticed when Michaels and Maddon are standing there, on camera, talking....and BOTH their mics are "dead"!!
I almost called Channel 9, since I knew it was on their end, not ABC (since WCVB's audio was OK) but held off, figuring no one would answer the phone, anyhow....(I used to work there MANY, MANY moons ago.... ) Luckily...it cleared up and was OK for the rest of the game...
And I also agree......the miking on the Stones could've been better...But, then, they even "fudged" the start of the National Anthem with Aaron Neville. And Aretha....well....IMHO, she didn't even NEED a mic!!!
post #840 of 2507 Old 02-06-2006, 12:53 PM

MUR used to have a tech that appreciated when you'd call up to point out a problem. Now, if you can ever get through, you'll likely get someone who will say it's Adelphia's problem. Since that first tech left (Stephan?), I haven't gotten any help. The last time I spoke to the HD tech, it was someone named Nigel, and he seemed interested but in the end, the problems remained and subsequent calls asking for Nigel have gone nowhere. Do they even have an HD support tech any more?
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page