Originally Posted by Paul Simoneau
I'm not counting on FIOS-TV any time soon. There's just too much for them to do (regulatory, laying fiber, installing head-end gear, etc) for it to happen any sooner than that. Too bad, because it sounds like it's really nice.
DirecTV does offer 4,5,7,25 and NESN in HD, if I'm not mistaken. The downside is that you'll be watching HD-Lite and not real HD.
I wont' fall for DirecTV's HD-lite.. thats a joke...and it has a pending lawsuit! I have a few requirements before I switch to any carrier:
1. All digital SD service - tired of playing games with cable company's "Digital Cable".. yeah sure, maybe 40 channels are digital the rest are analog turds. 1 point each for Dish and DirecTV.
2. True HD service - Cable/Dish Network are the better, DirecTV comes in last w/its HD-Lite Points? 1 and 0 respectively.
3. NESN HD - Cable 1 point, DirecTV 1 point, Dish 0 points
4. Decent HD Programming - I'll pay a bit more if I get more. But i'm tired of getting the run-around w/cable companies and their "agreements". Look at HDNet for example. Comcast is Slooooow to move. At least we've saw movement with Adelphia. Not counting premium channels we have:
Current Adelphia: 17
DirectTV: 7 + locals if you have OTA antenna
Dish: 25 + 4 locals = 29
Points: 1 0 2
5. Local HD channels w/out an OTA anteann - I can't get crap where I live with out an antenna the size of montana... Cable is a non issue, DirecTV requires OTA, and Dish now has local HDs over the satellite. 1 0 1 is our scoring
Lets add up the points..
So its close for cable and Dish.. crazy.. so now i have to pick what i need.
Honestly i'm thinking about adding Dish just for 1 HD tv so I have some other stuff to watch. Yes it will be $50 a month extra, but I can't give up NESN HD. there is no way. If you look at the list above, thats the 1 thing stopping me from converting to 100% dish, dropping comcast for HSI, and going w/Verizon DLS at $29.99 a month.