New Hampshire - Comcast - Page 34 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #991 of 2507 Old 11-09-2006, 05:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
So did you guys officially become Comast overnight? I'm reading that VT Adelphia systems did. If so, does your guide look different? Do you notice any other changes?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #992 of 2507 Old 11-09-2006, 06:18 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
No changes here.. still the ugly blue/tan combination of colors.. no new fancy guides, and the guide still says adelphia..

I rarely use it , as I use my Tivo guide 90% of the time.. only use the SA3250 for HD channels..
post #993 of 2507 Old 11-09-2006, 06:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Funny thing here in CT is that when Adelphia tookover years ago, they never even put their name in our guide. Only a couple of years ago when they added VOD, did we actually see the Adelphia name anywhere.
post #994 of 2507 Old 11-09-2006, 06:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Didn't notice any changes last night. Here are a couple of newspaper articles concerning the transition :

Union Leader : Adelphia->Comcast transition

Interesting bits :
  • next week : High-speed internet
  • end of month : Comcast VOD
  • end of year : Comcast digital voice

Nashua Telegraph : Adelphia->Comcast transition

Interesting bits :
  • $99/month "value bundle" deals will be made available (1-year voice, TV, internet)
  • Billing conversion has already been completed
  • Comcast VOD will triple available content
  • PowerBoost (temporary 2x internet speed bursts) available
post #995 of 2507 Old 11-09-2006, 08:32 AM
Advanced Member

Been doing some research over the past few days w/comcast.. Here is what I have learned in regards to packages..

1. Current adelphia packages/prices will remain as is. No expiry date has been set.
2. Channel listings and packages are expected to be online on comcast.com by the end of the month.
3. If you switch ANYTHING in your current package you'll revert to a 100% comcast setup. There is no going back.

My current Adelphia setup w/Digital Bronze:
$51.90 - Basic Cable
$0.00 - Digital Channels (included in "bronze")
$8.95 - SA3250 box rental
$3.75 - Cablecard
$50.45 - Internet (4mb down / 384 up)
$17.00 - Adelphia Premier Internet upgrade (6mb down/784 up)
Total: $132.05 + TAX

Trying to get a comparison, here is Comcast:
$50.45 - Basic Cable
$6.20 - Digital Channels (adds in "cable HD" channels, NESN, INHD, etc)
$9.20 - SA3250 box rental (First box $9.20, second box $11.20)
$0.00 - Cablecard (first free, second $2.95)
$42.95 - Internet (6mb down / 384 up)
$10.00 - Comcast Internet plus upgrade (8mb down/784 up)
Total: $118.80 + TAX

Strange if you "convert", its actually cheaper... I'm thinking of switching to Dish due to the amount of HD programming, but i'm hesitant as they don't have NESN HD yet, and I MUST have the sox in HD..

I may try Dish for their $29.99/mo HD package w/one tuner hooked up to my HD tv to see what it is like.

-t
post #996 of 2507 Old 11-09-2006, 11:09 AM
Advanced Member

Ok as usual, comcast was completely confused... forget what I said in the previous post. There is no apples to apples comparison, and i'm just going to wait until the new packages and rate sheets come out before i make any changes. It sounded if I made a change today I'd loose both HDNets, NFL HD, Fox SNE HD! forget that.. i'll let them tell me when its time to move.. and then maybe dish will have NESN in HD

-t
post #997 of 2507 Old 11-09-2006, 11:12 AM

I just wish FIOS TV was a possibility.

Jason
post #998 of 2507 Old 11-09-2006, 11:17 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnoel View Post

I just wish FIOS TV was a possibility.

I agree, but the latest on dslreports doesn't look good.. If Verizon sells out, we'll never see it.. NESN HD on Dish is the last thing holding me back.. Unless DirectTV can start offering locals w/out an OTA antenna, then i will consider them too.. Big changes and channel offerings for both Dish and Directv next year..

-t
post #999 of 2507 Old 11-09-2006, 12:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdwms View Post

I agree, but the latest on dslreports doesn't look good.. If Verizon sells out, we'll never see it.. NESN HD on Dish is the last thing holding me back.. Unless DirectTV can start offering locals w/out an OTA antenna, then i will consider them too.. Big changes and channel offerings for both Dish and Directv next year..

-t

I'm not counting on FIOS-TV any time soon. There's just too much for them to do (regulatory, laying fiber, installing head-end gear, etc) for it to happen any sooner than that. Too bad, because it sounds like it's really nice.

DirecTV does offer 4,5,7,25 and NESN in HD, if I'm not mistaken. The downside is that you'll be watching HD-Lite and not real HD.
post #1000 of 2507 Old 11-09-2006, 12:19 PM

Well the fiber is already laid down in my town and fios internet is avaialable. So for me fiostv is so close but sooo far away

Jason
post #1001 of 2507 Old 11-09-2006, 01:07 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Simoneau View Post

I'm not counting on FIOS-TV any time soon. There's just too much for them to do (regulatory, laying fiber, installing head-end gear, etc) for it to happen any sooner than that. Too bad, because it sounds like it's really nice.

DirecTV does offer 4,5,7,25 and NESN in HD, if I'm not mistaken. The downside is that you'll be watching HD-Lite and not real HD.

I wont' fall for DirecTV's HD-lite.. thats a joke...and it has a pending lawsuit! I have a few requirements before I switch to any carrier:

1. All digital SD service - tired of playing games with cable company's "Digital Cable".. yeah sure, maybe 40 channels are digital the rest are analog turds. 1 point each for Dish and DirecTV.

2. True HD service - Cable/Dish Network are the better, DirecTV comes in last w/its HD-Lite Points? 1 and 0 respectively.

3. NESN HD - Cable 1 point, DirecTV 1 point, Dish 0 points

4. Decent HD Programming - I'll pay a bit more if I get more. But i'm tired of getting the run-around w/cable companies and their "agreements". Look at HDNet for example. Comcast is Slooooow to move. At least we've saw movement with Adelphia. Not counting premium channels we have:
Current Adelphia: 17
DirectTV: 7 + locals if you have OTA antenna
Dish: 25 + 4 locals = 29

5. Local HD channels w/out an OTA anteann - I can't get crap where I live with out an antenna the size of montana... Cable is a non issue, DirecTV requires OTA, and Dish now has local HDs over the satellite. 1 0 1 is our scoring

Lets add up the points..

Cable 4
DirecTV 2
Dish 5

So its close for cable and Dish.. crazy.. so now i have to pick what i need. Honestly i'm thinking about adding Dish just for 1 HD tv so I have some other stuff to watch. Yes it will be $50 a month extra, but I can't give up NESN HD. there is no way. If you look at the list above, thats the 1 thing stopping me from converting to 100% dish, dropping comcast for HSI, and going w/Verizon DLS at $29.99 a month.

-t
post #1002 of 2507 Old 11-09-2006, 01:10 PM
AVS Special Member

NESN HD on DirecTV is the worst looking "HD" I've ever seen in my life. The Boston HD locals look the same as NESN HD does, absolute garbage.
post #1003 of 2507 Old 11-09-2006, 01:20 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulieORF View Post

NESN HD on DirecTV is the worst looking "HD" I've ever seen in my life. The Boston HD locals look the same as NESN HD does, absolute garbage.

I adjust my scoring:

Cable 4
DirecTV 1
Dish 5
post #1004 of 2507 Old 11-09-2006, 01:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I wont' fall for DirecTV's HD-lite.. thats a joke...and it has a pending lawsuit!

LOL. I can understand the lawsuit, but I really don't see it going anywhere. Kudos to the guy for firing up the suit, but I think he's just spinning his wheels.

Quote:

1. All digital SD service - tired of playing games with cable company's "Digital Cable".. yeah sure, maybe 40 channels are digital the rest are analog turds. 1 point each for Dish and DirecTV.
-t

Allow me to further muddy the waters for you, then.

Comcast went through their ADS (analog-digital simulcast) cut over a couple of years ago while I was still with Comcast. All analog channels have digital counterparts, top to bottom. So, if you're looking for a crisp digital feed, rather than a somewhat-snowy analog feed, Comcast should warrant a point.

However, if you're talking about the tiers of pricing and packages then you're right, the satellite guys offer far more digital channels (200+) in their "entry" level packages.
post #1005 of 2507 Old 11-09-2006, 01:34 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Allow me to further muddy the waters for you, then.

Comcast went through their ADS (analog-digital simulcast) cut over a couple of years ago while I was still with Comcast. All analog channels have digital counterparts, top to bottom. So, if you're looking for a crisp digital feed, rather than a somewhat-snowy analog feed, Comcast should warrant a point.

However, if you're talking about the tiers of pricing and packages then you're right, the satellite guys offer far more digital channels (200+) in their "entry" level packages.

I got my goggles on so muddy water, bring it on!

I assume, and its a big assumption that Adelphia didn't do the analog/digital simulcast... So I get to watch low end channels (say 2-20) with magical banding, snow, speckles, and an overall crappy picture. 7 always looks good, 5 looks like someone has 17 blenders running on an unfiltered circuit. I was able to polish the turd with a filter and a few other magical devices. My SD tvs look fine, HD tvs, well could be better..

Now I do have a cable card in our 50" plasma.. and on the low channels, lets call them "digilog" (more appropriately, ANALtal) I get artifacting and they look like junk. So Adelphia may have done the simulcast, but its ineffective.

Viewing through the SA3250 seems to just display the analog portions of the channels for 2-90

Oh the fury... I just want a decent picture and "a la cart" ordering.. no need for the "24 Hour Outdoor Lifetime & Tears" channels... I swear you end up paying for more junk you don't want..

-t
post #1006 of 2507 Old 11-09-2006, 01:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I got my goggles on so muddy water, bring it on!
Now I do have a cable card in our 50" plasma.. and on the low channels, lets call them "digilog" (more appropriately, ANALtal) I get artifacting and they look like junk. So Adelphia may have done the simulcast, but its ineffective.

[devil's advocate]Or, your plasma's deinterlacer and/or video scaler isn't getting the job done with the signal that's being provided to it. [/devil's advocate]

Quote:

Viewing through the SA3250 seems to just display the analog portions of the channels for 2-90.

Can you go into the diag screens while tuned to an "analog" channel and see if it's decoding 256QAM or a truly analog signal ?
post #1007 of 2507 Old 11-09-2006, 02:00 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

[devil's advocate]Or, your plasma's deinterlacer and/or video scaler isn't getting the job done with the signal that's being provided to it. [/devil's advocate]

Can you go into the diag screens while tuned to an "analog" channel and see if it's decoding 256QAM or a truly analog signal ?

hehehe yah well it is a cable card afterall..

Got into the info menu, it does say 256 QAM... and i rarely look at this picture, but the low end channels are just as fragmented and show artifacting, just like the cable card inputs.. Granted its hooked up via component, i can try composite or s-video to help polish the turd..

-t
post #1008 of 2507 Old 11-09-2006, 05:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

hehehe yah well it is a cable card afterall..

Got into the info menu, it does say 256 QAM... and i rarely look at this picture, but the low end channels are just as fragmented and show artifacting, just like the cable card inputs.. Granted its hooked up via component, i can try composite or s-video to help polish the turd..

-t

Well, then it's clearly a digital channel. I'd suspect that your picture breakups are caused by a signal level (either low or high) issue.
post #1009 of 2507 Old 11-09-2006, 07:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Looks like there will be some available bandwidth for more HDTV heading into the new year. INHD and INHD2 to merge : LINKY
post #1010 of 2507 Old 11-10-2006, 07:55 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Well, then it's clearly a digital channel. I'd suspect that your picture breakups are caused by a signal level (either low or high) issue.

Got them coming out here next wednesday.. they said the digital simulcast should be super clear.. so what i'm seeing isn't correct.. good to hear..

-t
post #1011 of 2507 Old 11-11-2006, 06:01 PM

Just a little update on the conversion to Comcast. I won't talk about the less channels since that seems pretty clear.

But, I wanted a SA8300 box instead of the 8000 that I have. They said they would be happy to change it over for us, BUT...... they would have to change us to Comcast programming which means about $20.00 a month more and you already know there are less channels. They said they could only grandfather my exisiting programming with the existing box.

I told them to keep their box and I'll use the one I have even though it is lacking.

Sounds like bull to me. I hate monopolies. FIOS where are you!
I have Adelphia cable with internet. I have two boxes (one HD and one regular), I have HBO and Cinemax and it cost me about 130 a month. Comcast would be 160 and less chanels. What a rip off. I am disgusted with the whole thing.
post #1012 of 2507 Old 11-11-2006, 07:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Americable ??????
Anybody remember them ???
Everyone in town bitched because of the increases.
Right now I would bet that Americable , would be welcome with open arms.
So where do we stand with this Comcast deal anyway ?
I just got a new tv and was going to get a box , but for an additional 20 bucks , forget it.
New tv won`t support cable card , if it did , Comcast probly wouldn`t support it either.
>I`m ugly right now<<br /> Don`t knock / that`s all I have to say about that !

PS: Anybody catch the "Bush" race in HD on 7 , it didn`t look so great to me.
Have to watch the Pat`s win tomorrow , and see if it`s any better.
O-BTW: If your wondering , I`m using a Motorola BB amp and am getting a SNR of 38 on pass through HD. There has to be something else they need to do.
I was getting 26~28 before the change with a better picture , don`t make sence , unless I`m overdriving the signal.
post #1013 of 2507 Old 11-12-2006, 06:15 AM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy_Dan View Post

Just a little update on the conversion to Comcast. I won't talk about the less channels since that seems pretty clear.

But, I wanted a SA8300 box instead of the 8000 that I have. They said they would be happy to change it over for us, BUT...... they would have to change us to Comcast programming which means about $20.00 a month more and you already know there are less channels. They said they could only grandfather my exisiting programming with the existing box.

I told them to keep their box and I'll use the one I have even though it is lacking.

Sounds like bull to me. I hate monopolies. FIOS where are you!
I have Adelphia cable with internet. I have two boxes (one HD and one regular), I have HBO and Cinemax and it cost me about 130 a month. Comcast would be 160 and less chanels. What a rip off. I am disgusted with the whole thing.

Wait a minute... you told them your current box is malfunctioning and they told yo the only way they would fix it, was to switch over your service???

That's garbage. Tell them it's a repair, not a change in service! Your current hardware does not work with your new TV. Did you go directly to the office in Londonderry or call? If you called in, you were likely talking to someone in Atlanta or Buffalo. Go to the office with the malfunctioning SA-8000HD in hand and tell them you want an SA-8300HD. No additional charges. No change in service. Just a working box.
post #1014 of 2507 Old 11-12-2006, 11:34 AM

That's what they said. They said that ANY program change will result in the change to Comcast. Maybe I'll just go over there.

Where is the office in Londonderry? I was going to go to the one in Manchester but Londonderry is easier.
post #1015 of 2507 Old 11-12-2006, 01:29 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
The Londonderry office is on Route 102. Take exit 4 off of 93. Maybe 10 minutes west. Whenever I've gone in there, they've been great to deal with face to face.

Tell them it's not handshaking with your new TV and you need a new box. The SA-8000HD is no longer offered, so they'll give you an SA-8300HD. A straight swap - this is not a change of service at all. If you were adding channels or changing packages, then that's a change of service. Getting a working STB is not a change of service. They just want more money. Don't fall for that.
post #1016 of 2507 Old 11-13-2006, 09:03 AM
AVS Special Member

The high-speed internet cut over has begun. My internet access is out, as is that of my coworkers who live in the same town as I. Calls into customer service yielded what you'd expect from phone support, ranging from unknowing to estimates of 6 days of outage. Hopefully, I'll get my service back shortly, since I use Vonage for my home phone service.
post #1017 of 2507 Old 11-13-2006, 09:08 AM
Advanced Member

My administrative assistant is in the exact same boat (Merrimack) - Vonage and all. I'm waiting for mine top go out as well, since we're only 1 mile apart. Thought this was supposed to be seamless...
post #1018 of 2507 Old 11-13-2006, 09:11 AM

I am just hating Comcast!!!!!!!!!!!

I have been waiting a week for an apointment that was for today. I called becase they missed the window and now they are saying I never had an appointment. Now they want to set me up for the 17th.

I am calling to get DSL. I would rather have a slower connection then give these jerks my money. What really sucks is that Fios is available in my town - just not at my house.

Jason
post #1019 of 2507 Old 11-13-2006, 09:16 AM

Does anyone have the number of the local office in Londonderry?

Jason
post #1020 of 2507 Old 11-13-2006, 09:30 AM

Sorry for yet another post -

For thoses who may care - Just got off the phone with the Verizon FIOS folks. Turns out they are rolling out fios to underground utility developments. The CSR is putting in a request for my home to engineering. She said they will call me back in the next 24/48 hours with a date of availability, or she said potentially to schedule an install.

Crossing my fingers.

Jason
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page