post #1081 of 2507 Old 01-15-2007, 03:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by wdwms View Post

Didn't get any notice of that yet, but it ticks me off.. We'll probaby be told that this is done to "make room" for more exciting (insert yawn here) HD channels. All this because Comcast and HDnet can't agree on anything... sad...

I received a larger-than-usual bundle with my monthly Comcast bill, but I didn't see anything about losing HDNet. Just a bunch of pricing changes and a channel listing.

From what I gather from other forums involving other regions, Comcast is "exchanging" the HDNets for channels that we already receive (TNT, ESPN2, etc). So, I expect to simply lose the HDNets with no new channels. Kinda stinks, but it does make room for new additions down the line.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1082 of 2507 Old 01-15-2007, 07:34 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Simoneau View Post

I received a larger-than-usual bundle with my monthly Comcast bill, but I didn't see anything about losing HDNet. Just a bunch of pricing changes and a channel listing.

From what I gather from other forums involving other regions, Comcast is "exchanging" the HDNets for channels that we already receive (TNT, ESPN2, etc). So, I expect to simply lose the HDNets with no new channels. Kinda stinks, but it does make room for new additions down the line.

I do all electronic billing so I don't get any mailings.. regardless, if they drop HDNet/Movies I'll take UHD and NatGeo in return, MHD is useless in my eyes. Those are three channels we don't have now but most Comcast regions get.

But if Comcast tells me that dropping the channels is so they can provide "better service" I'll be a bit more ticked off.

I have to keep reminding myself that we are still at just the beginning of HD service, the years to come will only improve what we can receive, and 2009 will be the glory year when we all go digital. I should be happy w/what channels we do have, afterall in 2002 we had HD service for the first time and had 5 channels, and one of them (PBS) was a loop of scenery over Greece.

-t
post #1083 of 2507 Old 01-15-2007, 08:01 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bresna View Post

I got a mailing from Comcast and it looks like we lose HDNet and HDNetMovies on February 1st. Damn. I was hoping that they would be able to continue carrying these channels under Adelphia's agreement, but I guess not.

C'mon Verizon FIOS, we need some competition for Comcast!!

Ridiculous! I haven't received the notice yet, but I will definitely miss these two channels. I love watching Arrested Development in HD, and HDNet movies always has something interesting to watch.

Once again Comcast sticks it to us under the claim of "improving service"

BDP-83 EAP (first 50)
post #1084 of 2507 Old 01-15-2007, 08:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobloblaw View Post

Ridiculous! I haven't received the notice yet, but I will definitely miss these two channels. I love watching Arrested Development in HD, and HDNet movies always has something interesting to watch.

Once again Comcast sticks it to us under the claim of "improving service"

Comcast cannot legally give you these channels. They do not have the rights to do so. If / when Comcast negotiates a deal for HDNet, then you'll get these channels back at the same time the rest of Comcast nation gets them for the first time.
post #1085 of 2507 Old 01-15-2007, 09:22 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulieORF View Post

Comcast cannot legally give you these channels. They do not have the rights to do so. If / when Comcast negotiates a deal for HDNet, then you'll get these channels back at the same time the rest of Comcast nation gets them for the first time.

Techinically, couldn't Comcast give us the channels until the previous agreement expired (ie: the Adelphia contract between HDNet and such). A take over of markets I'd assume means a take over of contracts and such for that market. I'm only guessing here...

Understood Mark Cuban and Comcast can't agree on what socks to put on in the morning let alone a deal to give HDNet to Comcast subscribers, but what ticks me off is how Comcast won't tell you the truth (do they ever?) and instead passes off removing channels as a "service improvement".

I've only watched a handful of shows on HDNet, but we've grown fond of Dead Like Me and a few others. But on a whole them taking it away only adds to the frustration and makes the switch over look worse. Comcast (or any cable company) will always be the bad guy no matter what they do, but up front honesty would go a long way to improving customer satisfaction and loyalty.

-t
post #1086 of 2507 Old 01-15-2007, 09:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdwms View Post

Techinically, couldn't Comcast give us the channels until the previous agreement expired (ie: the Adelphia contract between HDNet and such). A take over of markets I'd assume means a take over of contracts and such for that market. I'm only guessing here...

Understood Mark Cuban and Comcast can't agree on what socks to put on in the morning let alone a deal to give HDNet to Comcast subscribers, but what ticks me off is how Comcast won't tell you the truth (do they ever?) and instead passes off removing channels as a "service improvement".

I've only watched a handful of shows on HDNet, but we've grown fond of Dead Like Me and a few others. But on a whole them taking it away only adds to the frustration and makes the switch over look worse. Comcast (or any cable company) will always be the bad guy no matter what they do, but up front honesty would go a long way to improving customer satisfaction and loyalty.

-t

We (the subscribers) don't have access to the contracts, and what out clauses may be included. For all we know, the Adelphia/HDNet contract was nullified by the sale to Comcast. 2/1 (the date of the removal of HDNet) marks 6 months exactly from the day Comcast assumed control of Adelphia. That seems like it was part of some clause in the contract which stated that HDNet could remain on the system lineup for six months, then it must go. That is speculation, but seems plausable.

My last bill from Adelphia said HDNet and HDNet Movies will be removed on 2/1, but that they would be replaced by other HD services. They never said to us in Connecticut that they're removing these channels to improve our service. Maybe it was poor wording or poor writing from whoever or wherever you got that statement from.

Prepare to go through the same thing when it comes time for Comcast to remove ESPNU...
post #1087 of 2507 Old 01-16-2007, 05:42 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:

INHD2 has vanished, and been replaced by TNT-HD.

Oh joy, now we have access to the 1000's of hours of "Law and Order" and stretched SD content.

i've noticed that some of these law & orders on TNTHD are zoomed linearly -
i think they were originally aired in 4:3 but have been remastered & zoomed for TNTHD.
perhaps these older L&O were filmed in what is called "16:9 safe" mode even though they were originally displayed as 4:3 . actually i'm not even sure if they were originally recorded using film or not.
post #1088 of 2507 Old 01-17-2007, 10:28 AM
Advanced Member

post #1089 of 2507 Old 01-17-2007, 12:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuzzy View Post

No FiOS TV for NH

http://sev.prnewswire.com/telecommun...6012007-1.html

I've read quite a bit about this topic today, and I still don't know what to make of it. On the face of it, I read that Verizon sold its POTS (plain old telephone service -- old copper network) to this other company. I keep seeing mentions of "local exchanges", which to me means POTS.

The deal is NOT all-inclusive. Verizon is still retaining quite a bit of their stuff in the area. Not sure if this includes/excludes FIOS, which is never explicitly mentioned in any article that I've read yet. From the article above :

Quote:

The transaction includes Verizon's switched and special access lines in the three states, as well as its Internet service, enterprise voice CPE (customer premises equipment) accounts, and long-distance voice and private line customer accounts (for customer private lines with beginning and ending points within the three states) that Verizon served in the region before the 2006 merger with MCI, Inc. The transaction does not include the services, offerings or assets of Verizon Wireless, Verizon Business (former MCI), Federal Network Systems LLC, Verizon Network Integration Corp., Verizon Global Networks Inc., Verizon Federal Inc. or any other Verizon businesses in these states.

post #1090 of 2507 Old 01-17-2007, 12:27 PM
Advanced Member

Regardless, if verizon is going to do something, I'd say we are all at least a year away from any decent FIOS deployment. I'm in Milford, land of the 50 year old CO, so I'm betting we wont' get anything for years...

-t
post #1091 of 2507 Old 01-17-2007, 06:43 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
I already can get FIOS Internet service. I got the notice last week. What the heck is so hard about adding TV when the fiber-optic cables are already there? I just don't get Verizon in this. Offer me TV and high-speed Internet and I'll buy. Otherwise, I'm sticking to DSL and Comcast and saving about $30/month.
post #1092 of 2507 Old 01-17-2007, 06:51 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I already can get FIOS Internet service. I got the notice last week. What the heck is so hard about adding TV when the fiber-optic cables are already there? I just don't get Verizon in this. Offer me TV and high-speed Internet and I'll buy. Otherwise, I'm sticking to DSL and Comcast and saving about $30/month.

My wife's Uncle works for Verizon and did work at the Burlington, MA Verizon TV/FIOS facility.. the undertaking and equipment is huge, its not just flipping a switch..

My understanding is that in areas in NH where FIOS was started, Verizon will finish, but no new areas coming online..

-t
post #1093 of 2507 Old 01-17-2007, 07:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

At that point, it's more a legal battle than anything else. Lots of lawyer's fees and jumping through hoops just to get authorization to carry TV signals. Verizon decided it wasn't worth the cost to go through the convoluted NH process when the NJ process was a lot easier for them to manage.
post #1094 of 2507 Old 01-18-2007, 10:21 AM
AVS Special Member

It appears that FIOS is indeed part of the sell-off, unfortunately. LINKY

Quote:

Our DSL network is very similar to the network that FairPoint uses today, Ruesterholz said. We have a small amount of FiOS in New Hampshire that will be moving over to FairPoint.

Ruesterholz being : "Verizon Telecom President Virginia Ruesterholtz"
post #1095 of 2507 Old 01-19-2007, 10:15 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

It appears that FIOS is indeed part of the sell-off, unfortunately. LINKY

Ruesterholz being : "Verizon Telecom President Virginia Ruesterholtz"

From that last link: "That broadband will not be FiOS in either a strict or loose sense."

-Dave
post #1096 of 2507 Old 01-20-2007, 05:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDorBust View Post

From that last link: "That broadband will not be FiOS in either a strict or loose sense."

Sounds like "DSL for everyone" if you ask me. There's a bit of encouraging news in there that FairPoint wants to expand to offer video, which I assume means cable.

I guess I'm lucky that we got FIOS at all.
post #1097 of 2507 Old 01-20-2007, 07:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Sounds like "DSL for everyone" if you ask me. There's a bit of encouraging news in there that FairPoint wants to expand to offer video, which I assume means cable.

Yeah, sounds like they're a big proponent of making DSL available to everyone. If they keep their costs competitive, it should net them some business. Otherwise, they'll get their clocks cleaned by the cable guys' high speed access. They can also target DSL roll-outs to the more "rural" towns that don't have cable service.

Unfortunately, their "video solution" isn't gonna get it done. Especially in contrast to the cable and even satellite guys. Fairpoint wishes to do IPTV over DSL, and that is a pipe dream at best, especially in rural areas where your loop lengths are going to be enormous. You might be able to squeeze one low-quality SD channel over DSL in those situations, but that's it. No HDTV. Slow as hell channel changes. No dual tuning devices. Non-competitive, and a likely waste of their corporate dollars.
post #1098 of 2507 Old 01-20-2007, 08:08 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Yeah, sounds like they're a big proponent of making DSL available to everyone. If they keep their costs competitive, it should net them some business. Otherwise, they'll get their clocks cleaned by the cable guys' high speed access. They can also target DSL roll-outs to the more "rural" towns that don't have cable service.

Unfortunately, their "video solution" isn't gonna get it done. Especially in contrast to the cable and even satellite guys. Fairpoint wishes to do IPTV over DSL, and that is a pipe dream at best, especially in rural areas where your loop lengths are going to be enormous. You might be able to squeeze one low-quality SD channel over DSL in those situations, but that's it. No HDTV. Slow as hell channel changes. No dual tuning devices. Non-competitive, and a likely waste of their corporate dollars.

Correct, there is no way they are going to be able to keep up with cable. Even now Verizon can't touch Comcast in the speed category w/DSL. Even with short loop lengths its just not going to happen. I'll write the off now as a "non-condender" in the mediacaster options here in southern NH.

The trend was for us to see a choice in companies giving us broadband, ie Verizon going from just telco to telco/internet/tv to compete w/the cable companies. Obvious now we may never see that choice.

If Fairpoint isn't going to do FIOS then forget it, i'll just use them for a land line... It is sad that in this world of high-tech we are so often at the mercy of take overs and corporate directions that often just don't add up.

-t
post #1099 of 2507 Old 01-22-2007, 05:08 AM

Nice to see an area where fellow Granite Staters reside. Hey, does anyone have any experience with OTA in the area? I would imagine I can get WMUR out of Manchester, but was wondering if anyone has tried to get any of the Boston stations. I'm thinking there's no way to do it unless I put some massive antenna on my roof, but didn't know if anyone had an antenna in their attic or something like that to get the HD reception.

I appreciate any experiences people have had.
post #1100 of 2507 Old 01-22-2007, 05:42 AM - Thread Starter

The correct place for OTA discussions is here:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...4&page=1&pp=20

That covers the Boston DMA, which includes NH.

-Dave
post #1101 of 2507 Old 01-23-2007, 03:32 AM

I ordered FIOS Internet yesterday. I was going to stick with DSL, but a few things they said got me to switch.

1) They now offer a lower-speed (5 Mbps/2 Mbps) for $39.99/month
2) There are additional fees and taxes totally about $4 on my $29.99 DSL bill that aren't on the FIOS bill (like that'll last! )
3) The person on the phone said she lived in Derry and her brother-in-law is working in the field on the FIOS rollout. He told her that every installation includes the ability to transmit TV. All they are waiting for is a NH state decision. She said they (Verizon) got a preliminary decision in December and they thought they could move forward but they are still waiting final approval.

I really want this to happen. I may not switch over because so far Verizon FIOS TV has been unable to get NESN, but I do want Comcast to have some competition for subscribers who can't get satellite (because of the forest in their backyard).

BTW, be warned that once you switch to FIOS, they rip the copper wire feed to you house, replacing it with fiber. I can't go back now.

I hope this doesn't screw up my telephone service, making me sound like I'm talking on a crackly cell phone.
post #1102 of 2507 Old 01-23-2007, 04:53 AM
Advanced Member

sorry bresna, but NOBODY in NH/ME/VT is getting FiOS TV. And after next year nobody is getting FiOS period. Verizon sold it's assets in NH/ME/VT to Fairpoint. Read the previous posts.
post #1103 of 2507 Old 01-23-2007, 06:27 AM

Quote:

sorry bresna, but NOBODY in NH/ME/VT is getting FiOS TV. And after next year nobody is getting FiOS period. Verizon sold it's assets in NH/ME/VT to Fairpoint. Read the previous posts.

Of course I asked about the spin-off/sale. If you notice, I already commented in a previous post about the upcoming spin-off.

The person on the phone said that the deal wouldn't happen for more than a year and that the spin-off/Fairpoint company would continue the same as before. She said that they've been told that the new company will continue to try and offer FIOS Internet and cable TV to everyone.

FIOS is being installed in my house and they're removing my copper wire. Whatever it's going to be called by Fairpoint, it's still going to be a fiber-optic system that supports TV. Fairpoint wants to make money and ignoring this potential revenue stream would be foolish on their part.
post #1104 of 2507 Old 01-23-2007, 06:59 AM
AVS Special Member

I originally had an Adelphia/Comcast CableCard install scheduled for 1/9/2007, but the installer said that they were out of them due to some sort of "recall". I just called 800-COMCAST to reschedule an appointment, and the computer wouldn't let the CSR set an appointment, leading her to believe that they're still out of stock. She promised to have the local office contact me with an update. I'm not optimistic about hearing from them, though.

So, still no CableCards are available in the area.
post #1105 of 2507 Old 01-23-2007, 07:37 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Of course I asked about the spin-off/sale. If you notice, I already commented in a previous post about the upcoming spin-off.

The person on the phone said that the deal wouldn't happen for more than a year and that the spin-off/Fairpoint company would continue the same as before. She said that they've been told that the new company will continue to try and offer FIOS Internet and cable TV to everyone.

FIOS is being installed in my house and they're removing my copper wire. Whatever it's going to be called by Fairpoint, it's still going to be a fiber-optic system that supports TV. Fairpoint wants to make money and ignoring this potential revenue stream would be foolish on their part.

They will not offer it (fiber). You can take it to the bank. The CS rep was lying to you to get your business. BTW- I wan't trying to be a jerk in my previous post. I was just asking to read about the sale.
post #1106 of 2507 Old 01-23-2007, 09:44 AM

Quote:

They will not offer it (fiber). You can take it to the bank. The CS rep was lying to you to get your business. BTW- I wan't trying to be a jerk in my previous post. I was just asking to read about the sale.

They have to keep supporting fiber for Internet and phone. It's is all I will have after the installer comes this weekend. I admit that Cable TV is "pie in the sky" but still, Fairpoint has to see the revenue potential there. It's not like Verizon was trying to do something stupid by going after FIOS-TV. There is clearly a market and I'll be there to fill it. Ha.

Don't worry about your tone. The way I get around "tone" when reading posts on forums on the Internet is to imagine that everyone is smiling when they type what they type. If you go in thinking that everyone is typing "angry", you'll think everyone's a wise guy.
post #1107 of 2507 Old 01-23-2007, 09:51 AM
Advanced Member

I agree. Fairpoint would be foolish not to, but from what i've read they are so far behind the 8-ball in terms of technology it doesn't seem possible. The only thing I can think of is that Verizon would train them. I hope there still is FiOS. I want the TV package. My brother has it in Andover, MA and it looks great.
post #1108 of 2507 Old 01-24-2007, 06:56 AM
Advanced Member

http://tvplanner.comcast.net/ now showing 702 PBS HD and 821 Nat Geo HD for the Londonderry (Digital) programming (which is for us here in Milford)...

-t
post #1109 of 2507 Old 02-03-2007, 09:43 PM
Advanced Member

Check out this article

Comcast: 'We're Not Worried About DIRECTV HDTV'
http://www.tvpredictions.com/burke020107.htm

Here is a snippet:
--------------------
The cable operator now offers less than 20 national high-def networks in most markets. But Burke told Wall Street analysts that Comcast will not try to match DIRECTV's HD lineup which is expected to include a large number of variety channels.

"We're not going to radically change our game plan," he said in an investors conference call. "We think we offer a superior HD experience."

Burke instead said Comcast will focus more on high-def movies, sports and local channels, which he said are most popular among his subscribers.
----------------------

When will Comcast wake up? They obviously don't get the fact that HD is here to stay and "I want my HDTV" is what people are saying!

Grrrrrr...

-t
post #1110 of 2507 Old 02-04-2007, 01:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Nuzzy- I believe that Verizon sold off their stake up north (Think Coos county...dunno the actualities) but us lowlanders down here in the south will be staying Verizon. I think this is actually a GOOD thing for the northerners because Verizon sure didn't care about them and they may just get new services. As for FiosTV anywhere here in NH....Not soon. Too many politicians have been buttered to let the cable co's have a monopoly. In their defense, they kinda had to offer that monopoly to get service for their areas 10-20 years or so ago. We had Harron Cable way back when and I think it was some other mom-n-pop not long before that. I shudder to think what it'd be like if we still had an organization like that! We'd still be calling on the phone to order PPV!
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page