New Hampshire - Comcast - Page 4 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 2507 Old 03-08-2004, 03:59 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I noticed that Sunday afternoon MAX HD was having audio sync problems too. It must be an Adelphia problem.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 2507 Old 03-08-2004, 04:04 AM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Dave, thanks for this! I have to say though, that I almost have to wonder if Adelphia isn't reading this forum topic... I watched "Alias" last night just before "The Practice" and it was about as best as I can remember. If history holds, "George Lopez" on Friday night should be the best show to do an A/B comparison.

I would guess that the pleasant attitude of the Adelphia people vs. the surly attitude of the MUR techs got me predisposed to blame this on MUR. Well, it's back to Adelphia... although I would prefer to wait until there is a truly horrible offset so we have no doubt. It was so close last night, I had to really look for it.

On the bright side, if it is Adelphia, they have no problems with their other channels so that bodes well with them being able to fix it.

Kevin
post #93 of 2507 Old 03-09-2004, 01:40 PM

I'm on Adelphia HD in Gloucester, and we have the occasional audio synch problems too. Not only is there an audio synch problem on the HD channel, but if you switch between standard def and high def of the same channel, there's a huge delay on the high def. I can watch a program on standard def and switch to high def for a recap of the previous 5 seconds.

The zoom function works well on non-letterboxed "high def". If you zoom the 480p signal, you get a full screen with good reception although it's a bit blurry because of the zoom.
post #94 of 2507 Old 03-09-2004, 02:05 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally posted by boslaw
I'm on Adelphia HD in Gloucester, and we have the occasional audio synch problems too. Not only is there an audio synch problem on the HD channel, but if you switch between standard def and high def of the same channel, there's a huge delay on the high def. I can watch a program on standard def and switch to high def for a recap of the previous 5 seconds.

I've noticed the same thing. I've also noticed a slight timing difference between the analog audio-out and the coax digital-out. I have the analog connected to my TV and the coax to my stereo receiver. When in hi-def, if I have both the TV speakers and the stereo on, it sounds like it's in a tunnel...doesn't happen with the SD channels. Perhaps that's contributing to the synch problems? I don't know...I'm not a technician (although I'm forced to play one by Adelphia )
post #95 of 2507 Old 03-10-2004, 05:48 AM

In the past I didn't hear a difference between the digital & analog audio outputs but I'll have to check again.

Well, I still have to wonder if someone from Adelphia isn't reading this forum... last night, both "I'm With Her" and "According to Jim" were synchronized pretty good. They're still not as well synchronized as the other HD network stations but at least it's watchable.

Kevin
post #96 of 2507 Old 03-10-2004, 06:56 AM

My wife just picked up our DVR from our local Adelphia office (we originally called their main number and were told it wouldn't be available for 1 month - as usual, they have no idea what's going on).

I was kind of surprised at the cost -- an extra $7.95 for the box, plus an additional $4.50 for the service (per month). This is in addition to the HD box. The fees are really adding up and I'm not sure I'll keep one or both of these services. We already have the complete package (cable modem plus every digital cable channel, including all pay channels). You'd think we'd get some kind of break since we're paying for every possible Adelphia service.
post #97 of 2507 Old 03-10-2004, 07:19 AM
Advanced Member

boslaw: I'd be very interested to hear what you think of the DVR. Maybe you could give us a review of the pro's & con's after you've used it for awhile. I'll be curious to find out how recorded HD looks. $12.45/mo. doesn't seem too bad if you get a lot of use out of it...but it sure keeps piling up, doesn't it?!
post #98 of 2507 Old 03-10-2004, 10:15 AM
Advanced Member

boslaw: What's the make & model? Is it the LG LST-3410A? I'd like to do some research on the AVS threads under HD Recorders. Thanks!
post #99 of 2507 Old 03-10-2004, 12:32 PM

perrycom: I don't have it yet, but it's the SA 8000HD.

Adelphia is exclusively a SciAtl shop.
post #100 of 2507 Old 03-10-2004, 12:45 PM

I'll post a review after I get home tonight.

Re: SciAtl shop-- I actually saw some news releases on the web that mentioned Adelphia rolling out some Moxi boxes, so they may not be 100% SciAtl shop. I'll know more when I get home.
post #101 of 2507 Old 03-10-2004, 12:49 PM
Advanced Member

Thanks for the info, H.

boslaw said that it is in addition to the HD STB (SA 3250HD)...are you sure? I thought it would replace it, which would mean it would only cost $4.50 more per month for the service/box upgrade. I'll try Adelphia CS...wish me luck!
post #102 of 2507 Old 03-10-2004, 12:51 PM

My local Adelphia office (Gloucester, MA) told my wife that we needed both boxes. We'll find out for sure tonight. I'm pretty sure it replaces the standard def box, but I just don't know about the HD box.
post #103 of 2507 Old 03-10-2004, 12:56 PM

Hello Everyone,
Im new to this and have some questions.
I currently have a OTA setup and Adelphia's Classic Cable programing. What would the settop box and program upgrade cost me in order to get HD.
post #104 of 2507 Old 03-10-2004, 01:23 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally posted by tkinatk
What would the settop box and program upgrade cost me in order to get HD.

Don't quote me on this, but without Powerlink, and no premium channels (HBO, etc.) I think it's around $65/mo., but you'd also get many digital SD channels you don't get with basic. You'd be better off going into your local office or call to confirm.
post #105 of 2507 Old 03-10-2004, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by tkinatk
I currently have a OTA setup and Adelphia's Classic Cable programing. What would the settop box and program upgrade cost me in order to get HD.

I added HD to my Adelphia package... which I think was "Adelphia Classic Cable", which includes broadcast basic & expanded basic, and it added $7.95 per month to my $42. The box "rental" is included in the $7.95 monthly fee.

Kevin
post #106 of 2507 Old 03-10-2004, 04:03 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by boslaw
My wife just picked up our DVR from our local Adelphia office (we originally called their main number and were told it wouldn't be available for 1 month - as usual, they have no idea what's going on).

I was kind of surprised at the cost -- an extra $7.95 for the box, plus an additional $4.50 for the service (per month). This is in addition to the HD box. The fees are really adding up and I'm not sure I'll keep one or both of these services. We already have the complete package (cable modem plus every digital cable channel, including all pay channels). You'd think we'd get some kind of break since we're paying for every possible Adelphia service.

I'm waiting for the DVR in Hudson, hope it is worth it. Miss my TIVO! I was told with the package I have (ultimate Advantage) it would be an extra $4.95. I love the idea of recording HD, also heard it records 2 channels while you can watch another. They said it would be an SA8000 model w/80 gig drive. TIVO just didn't cut it, tough to watch half a program in HD then return and watch it in anolog.
DJ
post #107 of 2507 Old 03-10-2004, 08:17 PM

Here's my first night review:

1. It is, in fact, the SciAtl 800SD box.
2. It does not receive HD programming (even though I'm an HD subscriber). You must use your HD box from Adelphia
3. It is pretty damn cool!

I have never used tivo before, but I always wanted one. It was always too hard to justify the cost, and I knew that I'd eventually either switch to satellite, or my cable co would offer it. Now that it's here, I can see why so many people love it. It's extremely easy to use, and it's awesome to be able to record shows with no effort at all (sure as hell beats a vcr).

I didn't delve too much into the features, but from what I can tell, there's no way to set different levels of quality for your recordings - one quality fits all. The playback looked identical to the regular program.

The only way that I could tell it to record a season of a show is to find that show in the guide (if I want to record a show that isn't on until tomorrow, I just scroll the guide to tomorrow's shows). I don't know how far out the guide goes- maybe a week.

The box gives you picture in picture, and I think the brochure said you can record 2 shows while watching another.

I don't think the box can distinguish between first runs and re-runs- I think it will record every single episode of a show if that's what I choose. I guess I'll find out soon enough when my HD starts filling up.

You can hear the hard drive spin up and down. It's slightly disconcerting to hear that sound if you've never had a computer hooked up to your tv before. It's not loud enough to bother when you're watching something, but it was noticable when we first powered up the box.

The box doesn't seem to have any capability to suggest programming - it records what you tell it, and that's it.

Channel 800 just shows you a list of the programs you've selected to record. You can get the same display by pushing the "list" button on the remote.

The remote is large, and the buttons are a bit scattered. It will take a while to build muscle memory on this remote.

That's it for now. So far, I think this is worth far more of my money than HD. I may actually cancel HD until more channels show up. I can't see paying for two boxes in my living room, especially if the only additional use I get out of the HD box will be watching the 6 HD channels that are available. Those channels don't have enough true HD programming yet, and there are numerous kinks to be worked out to justify the extra $$ for me.

Good luck and hopefully it's in your area. Don't rely on a phone call - if channel 800 shows up in the guide in your area, then just head to your local office and ask for it.

~Andre
post #108 of 2507 Old 03-11-2004, 06:13 AM
Advanced Member

Thanks Andre - good review! Sounds pretty awesome...I especially like being able to record 2 shows at the same time while watching another.

Only drawback I see is another damn remote!!
Cameron
post #109 of 2507 Old 03-11-2004, 12:21 PM

HOLY COW.

I can't believe they bothered with the 8000SD.

I don't NEED a DVR that can't record High Definition.
That's what TiVo is for.

Classical Adelphia "behind the edge" thinking.

Old ------ Edge ------ Cutting Edge ------ Bleeding Edge
^ Adelphia's idea of technology.
post #110 of 2507 Old 03-11-2004, 12:30 PM
Advanced Member

Are you friggin sh*tting me? No HD? I stopped by the office today to see if they had any. Thankfully, they didn't, because I would have had to return it. This makes no sense whatsoever. You blew it Adelphia!
post #111 of 2507 Old 03-11-2004, 12:38 PM

Frankly, I'm not sure the HD cost is worth it anyway. More than half of the shows are not broadcast in true HD, and there are only about 6 channels available. I hate having to zoom in on the 480p stuff. Anyway, if HD is mandated by the government, why should we have to pay extra for it? It should be included with basic cable. It's not like I'm getting any extra content-- just better quality of the same content I already pay for. These cable companies are looking to grab some cash now, and set a precedent. You know they'll probably keep the higher prices when HD is available across the board.
post #112 of 2507 Old 03-11-2004, 12:50 PM
Advanced Member

It is worth it for me, since I can't get an OTA signal where I live. Granted, I'd like more HD content and it's coming (albeit slowly), but for us, watching shows like CSI, Law & Order, Tonight Show, etc. in HD makes a HUGE difference. It's especially great for sports... football, golf, hockey (when we get it) and baseball (when we get it)... hell, we even watched the Daytona500 just because it was in HD and we're not even NASCAR fans. To me, once you've watched something in HD, there's no going back!! Everyone's entitled to their opinion...that's mine!
post #113 of 2507 Old 03-11-2004, 12:55 PM

Just called Adelphia Londonderry and confirmed this is NOT a HD DVR! They are a bunch of boneheads! I called twice before and was told it would record HD, now they say no. This is a bummer...was looking forward to this thing. I asked why in the f*ing world would you go with a non HD DVR when they rolled out HD service!! I hope enough people call and complain about their stupidity. F*ing losers! First they make people wait on a list for two months to get a HD box, now no HD recording option....idiots. Now I feel like looking into DTV. They do offer an HD TIVO with a 250 gig drive and real TIVO service.
post #114 of 2507 Old 03-11-2004, 01:43 PM
Advanced Member

OK...all is not lost. Just got a note from the regional manager, who indicates they will offer a HD-DVR SA box...they haven't decided on the size of the hard drive as yet. He says he expects it "fairly soon."

He also said he hears NESN by "after the beginning of April" and HDNet by the end of April.

In his words..."Hang in there. Good things to happen."

Don't shoot the messenger!!
post #115 of 2507 Old 03-11-2004, 02:22 PM

PerryCom, I don't mean to pry but what is your in with the manager of Adelphia?
post #116 of 2507 Old 03-11-2004, 02:28 PM
Advanced Member

I met him at a Merrimack Board of Selectman's Meeting, when I was trying to find out if they'd get CBS in time for the Super Bowl. He said to email him for updates...which I did and continue to do! I figure, since you can't get any answers from their CSRs...may as well go to the top.
post #117 of 2507 Old 03-11-2004, 02:45 PM

Perry,
Thanks for the info. It is just irritating when CRs in the same office are giving different information. The first one I spoke with specifically told me it would be an SA8000HD and even went on to describe the limitation of 7 to 10 hrs when recording HD on the 80 gig drive! Then I call back for an update and ask again is this HD "absolutely" is the response. Today, the CR that answered was very cautious with answers, but basically says no one ever said that. Maybe you could request from that regional manager that he pop out here and introduce himself. Maybe he could provide us with responsible feedback. With the canned responses we get from the office reps I'm wondering if they have a built in DVR so they don't forget the BS they are required to repeat.
post #118 of 2507 Old 03-11-2004, 10:08 PM
Advanced Member

dj - I understand the frustration, but I'm not sure that the local Adelphia managers even really know what's going to come down. As for CSRs...they are given scripts - literally - to answer questions...they don't know anything except what they are told (issued). At the time you called, they may well have thought (told to say) it was the HD unit. This is a company that is obviously scrambling to come out of bankrupcy, put on the good face, and hope that they can compete...I think they have good intentions, but when the money's on the table decisions are made based on the money...not on the service to a select segment of their customers (HD customers).

From a business model, it's hard to argue. Cable is a mass medium, and until HD is in the majority, we'll be fighting the dollar battle...and usually losing.
post #119 of 2507 Old 03-12-2004, 05:26 AM

Perrycom,
I do understand the CRs are required to read from their script and are just messengers. Some of the CRs do add their own opinions, as telling me about how she was testing one at her house, describing her NASCAR viewing experiences and reiterating the units HD recording capabilities. So this is why my surprise at no HD capability. IMO, they did demo the HD unit, but decided not to go with it last minute. As far as deciding HD size I believe there are 3 - 40, 80, 160 gig. Comcast and TWC rolled out the 160 gig, bet we get the 40 or 80 gig when finally offered. As you said dollars will make their decision.

It sucks for us as customers that we will have to visit friends with comcast to check out new technologies and services. Unfortunately the prior management not only screwed shareholders, but also us as customers. You are correct that dollars rule. I'm sure the bankruptcy trustee doesn't care about customer satisfaction, so we get the cheapest DVR option.

I got used to my TIVO and loved it, as an SD recording device this SA8000 is junk compared to a TIVO. The only edge it would have had was the HD capability.

I did look into DTV and it is more expensive considering the equipment charges. A low end DTV HD reciever start around $400. The DTV HD DVR receiver will cost around $1000 when it rolls out, it is actually a 250 gig TIVO. Soooo.....dollars will rule here also and I'll stick with cable .
post #120 of 2507 Old 03-13-2004, 06:59 PM

Wow! Is the audio sync off on ABC-HD's "Dr. Doolittle" right now! It's almost a full second delayed... totally unwatchable.

Kevin
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page