Forum Jump: 

post #1171 of 2507 Old 04-09-2007, 02:40 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by LennyB View Post

Thanks for the reply. Are you on the Comcast Londonderry system?

Yah, sorry didnt mention that. I'm in southern NH on the former-Adelphia, now Comcast system.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1172 of 2507 Old 04-09-2007, 03:03 PM

The reason I asked is that I get Ch56 on 78-1 and Ch38 on 78-3 (Not the same as you). I am in Hudson on Comcast Londonderry.
post #1173 of 2507 Old 04-10-2007, 10:41 AM

Following is the results of my latest rescan for clear QAM channels, in Hudson NH on the Comcast Londonderry network. Do any of these results make sense to anyone? Over 300 channels were found, none visible except for these 9 and the music channels. Still no Boston channels except 38 & 56.

D0 TBN
D0-998 WZMY
D78-1 CW56
D78-3 Ch 38 WSBK
D80-9 Preview Channel
D81-1/45 Music Channels
D87-8 Preview Channel
D90-2 NHTV
D100-2 The Word Network
D111-2 Preview Channel, Cinemax?
post #1174 of 2507 Old 04-12-2007, 06:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Just noticed in the Amherst Citizen a full-page ad announcing the availability of Comcast Digital Voice in Mont Vernon and Amherst. Introductory offer is $26/month for the first three months. Then, in teeny, teeny, tiny, tiny print down at the bottom of the page, it says that the regular rate is $45/month.

Ouch. There's no way a VOIP service should cost that much... As a current Vonage customer who doesn't think they'll be around much longer (thanks to getting bitch-slapped by Verizon in court), I was looking at CDV as an alternative. Not at that price, though...
post #1175 of 2507 Old 04-12-2007, 06:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Simoneau View Post

Just noticed in the Amherst Citizen a full-page ad announcing the availability of Comcast Digital Voice in Mont Vernon and Amherst. Introductory offer is $26/month for the first three months. Then, in teeny, teeny, tiny, tiny print down at the bottom of the page, it says that the regular rate is $45/month.

Ouch. There's no way a VOIP service should cost that much... As a current Vonage customer who doesn't think they'll be around much longer (thanks to getting bitch-slapped by Verizon in court), I was looking at CDV as an alternative. Not at that price, though...

I saw this as well, and called the other day about trying to get the $99 triple play. They said that was not an option as I was already an existing customer and could only offer the $129 price for all three services. That was not worth the price for me.

As for the Vonage issue - I have had AT&T Callvantage for a couple of years and am quite happy with it. I pay $20/month (+ taxes) for unlimited service. This includes a $5 discount since I have Cingular cell service. There are lots of alternatives in the VOIP area, and $45/month is just plain too expensive.
post #1176 of 2507 Old 04-12-2007, 06:42 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Quote:

Yah $45 may seem high to you and I, but lets think about their target audience.
A lot of people are still paying per minute charges on long distance, so they are probably commonly paying over $100 in line and long distance charges. To them, more than 50% reduction in a bill seems amazing, hence they sign up and "save" money.

Now in our household we have a standard verizon land line for general incoming calls and local calls, we don't call LD on it. And we have an outgoing VOIP line from Broadvoice. $19.95 a month ($23.45 after tax) unlimited US and 21 countries, can't beat it.

-t
post #1177 of 2507 Old 04-12-2007, 10:15 AM

There is a difference between the VOIP service that Vonage offers and the service that Comcast has. Vonage is an unsuported best effort Internet service all the way while the Comcast service uses Comcast's High Speed Internet connection between the home and the headend, then it goes into dedicated highly reliable redundant connections to the rest of the world. Comcast's service is suported by them.

Mallego
post #1178 of 2507 Old 04-12-2007, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdwms View Post

No details on where the new channels would be (adelphia or comcast lineup). She didn't know about HDNet, and was unsure what I was talking about when I mentioned it, which is not a good sign. However I'm leaving my package as is until i get word that something new is coming.

I'm sure they will let us know, it sounded like this was coming down the pipe pretty soon, she said 2-3 months. We'll have to see.

-t

inside scoop

Comcast is planning to do all of NH adelphia footprint, starting next month. I beleive it will start on the 17th, they will start matching Comcast line-up for Nashua and Manch.
post #1179 of 2507 Old 04-12-2007, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mallego View Post

There is a difference between the VOIP service that Vonage offers and the service that Comcast has. Vonage is an unsuported best effort Internet service all the way while the Comcast service uses Comcast's High Speed Internet connection between the home and the headend, then it goes into dedicated highly reliable redundant connections to the rest of the world. Comcast's service is suported by them.

Mallego

also has battery back up, so on a day like today/ you loose power, you can still make a call on a non powered phone.

in the world of cordless everything, it's a
good idea to always have a "old" fashion phone in case of emergecy.

GL
post #1180 of 2507 Old 04-12-2007, 06:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Lantern View Post

also has battery back up, so on a day like today/ you loose power, you can still make a call on a non powered phone.

GL

May be, and may not be. My brother-in-law's had the Comcast Digital Voice for about 6 months, and it's definitely a large box with a built in battery. However, when the Comcast guys were here installing my CableCARDs, they said that the box was approximately the size of my current Linksys PAP2 ATA. These guys definitely knew their stuff, and they were dead on with the roll-out time lines.

Anyhoo, I've got all my net/phone stuff (router, Vonage, cable modem, cordless phone base) on a UPS anyways. It'll take an ISP network outage to take me down.
post #1181 of 2507 Old 04-12-2007, 07:00 PM

do you have a generator? UPS is only designed to be temp power 5-25 mins to perform proper shut down or avoid power hicups.
post #1182 of 2507 Old 04-12-2007, 07:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

do you have a generator? UPS is only designed to be temp power 5-25 mins to perform proper shut down or avoid power hicups.

I know, and I don't have a generator. All of these little widgets draw very little power, so I'll get substantially longer battery back up times than I would with a big, fat PC sucking the juice out of the battery. So, I'll only get a few extra hours of operation out of the UPS. Up to date, whenever I've lost power, it's been 1/2 day tops before the juice is back. After that, I've still got the cell phones as a backup plan.
post #1183 of 2507 Old 04-13-2007, 06:54 AM

Quote:

GL

Thats all well and good.. unless its your internet that goes down versus power My weakest link in the VOIP arena is always Comcast.. speeds and latency. Fortunately, they are coming out next week to take a peek.
post #1184 of 2507 Old 04-17-2007, 06:15 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

inside scoop

Comcast is planning to do all of NH adelphia footprint, starting next month. I beleive it will start on the 17th, they will start matching Comcast line-up for Nashua and Manch.

My Tivo changed the labels and programming for channels 770 and 771 from HDnet and HDnet Movies to Versus and Music HD, however its still HDnet broadcasts coming over the wire for now.. change must be coming soon.

So we loose two semi-decent channels and pickup (IMHO) two useless channels...

-t
post #1185 of 2507 Old 04-17-2007, 06:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

My Tivo changed the labels and programming for channels 770 and 771 from HDnet and HDnet Movies to Versus and Music HD, however its still HDnet broadcasts coming over the wire for now.. change must be coming soon.

So we loose two semi-decent channels and pickup (IMHO) two useless channels...

-t

Yuck.

My TiVo also pointed out over the weekend that another Spanish-language HBO channel had turned up.
post #1186 of 2507 Old 04-17-2007, 07:20 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Yuck.

My TiVo also pointed out over the weekend that another Spanish-language HBO channel had turned up.

Yeah Tivo claimed I get some other ESPN channel, not sure what it is, on 248...

*sigh*.. my quest for more HD keeps getting squashed.. if comcast picks up their act though i'm considering a series 3..

-t
post #1187 of 2507 Old 04-20-2007, 08:54 AM
AVS Special Member

My S3's channel list and guide data changed yesterday to reflect the swap of the HDNet/HDNetMovies for MHD/VersusHD, although the actually programming remained HDNet. Didn't get a chance to check this morning. I suppose it's only a matter of time...
post #1188 of 2507 Old 04-25-2007, 07:53 PM
Advanced Member

Ok it gets even odder now..

Tivo just deleted MHD/Versus and added back HDNet and HDNetMovies.. Additionally it added 756 which is WLVIDT HD (UPN)..

"Jane!!! Stop this crazy thing!!"

This is fun eh?
post #1189 of 2507 Old 04-25-2007, 08:52 PM
Advanced Member

I'm getting rid of E* and getting cable installed tomm. Ther person I spoke with was pretty knowledgeable and said they got an e-mail saying that A&E HD, National Geographic HD, Food HD, Versus HD, MHD, Universal HD should all be lit up by June on the former southern NH Adelphia network.
post #1190 of 2507 Old 04-26-2007, 04:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Ok it gets even odder now..

Tivo just deleted MHD/Versus and added back HDNet and HDNetMovies.. Additionally it added 756 which is WLVIDT HD (UPN)..

"Jane!!! Stop this crazy thing!!"

This is fun eh?

No changes on the list of channels for me. Still have HDNet/HDNetMovies programming with MHD/VersusHD guide info. Always had WLVI-DT, just no guide info. I've filed a report with the TiVo guide info folks, and haven't heard back from them yet.
post #1191 of 2507 Old 04-26-2007, 06:36 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuzzy View Post

I'm getting rid of E* and getting cable installed tomm. Ther person I spoke with was pretty knowledgeable and said they got an e-mail saying that A&E HD, National Geographic HD, Food HD, Versus HD, MHD, Universal HD should all be lit up by June on the former southern NH Adelphia network.

I guess that confirms what I had posted a few weeks back.. Certainly not the "30" channels the rep mentioned, but still some good ones in there..

-t
post #1192 of 2507 Old 04-27-2007, 07:49 AM
Advanced Member

Had my install yesterday. I was disappointed to see that they still use the SA 8300 boxes. The installer said he wishes they would get the new Motorola boxes that are IP based, so that you can watch recordings on other TV's via IP address. Maybe down the road?
post #1193 of 2507 Old 04-27-2007, 07:56 AM
Advanced Member

one other thing - I noticed on 738 that Jeopardy isn't in HD. Anyone know why?
post #1194 of 2507 Old 04-27-2007, 08:41 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Had my install yesterday. I was disappointed to see that they still use the SA 8300 boxes. The installer said he wishes they would get the new Motorola boxes that are IP based, so that you can watch recordings on other TV's via IP address. Maybe down the road?

Don't count on it, changing to Moto's means changing out the entire system... SA will be here for a long time..

If you dont' like the 8300 (or don't need the DVR capabilities), try a 3250.. still the same 1997 menu system and pathetic graphics, but gives you more options for singals coming out of the box for recording and such

-t
post #1195 of 2507 Old 04-28-2007, 04:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

No changes on the list of channels for me. Still have HDNet/HDNetMovies programming with MHD/VersusHD guide info. Always had WLVI-DT, just no guide info. I've filed a report with the TiVo guide info folks, and haven't heard back from them yet.

Yeah, I know, self-reply...

Guide data and channel list now are both back to being HDNet and HDNet movies. Perhaps there's a chance that we get to keep them, now that Comcast's going to turn up a bunch more HD channels ? More likely, unfortunately, that TiVo (and Tribune) jumped the gun on the channel switch over.

Bonus is that WLVI-DT now has guide data, so the wifey can watch her Gilmore Girls in HDTV now. Oh joy!
post #1196 of 2507 Old 04-28-2007, 04:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Yeah, what wdwms said. Fat chance. This area is stuck with the SA gear for the forseeable future. To switch over to Motorola gear, Comcast would have to outlay a huge amount of cash to update the head-end(s) and all the cable boxes that were out in customer homes. Not gonna happen any time soon. I'd say the earliest that happens is when the DOCSIS 3.0 rollout occurs (2010-2012).
post #1197 of 2507 Old 04-30-2007, 10:19 PM
Advanced Member

From DSL Reports

http://www.dslreports.com/forum/remark,18250363
-----------------
New letter from Comcast today, 4/28/07. Replacing HD Net w/8 new HD's. It already shared a slot in the spectrum, wont be freeing up much space.

A&E HD
FooD Network HD
HGTV HD
WLVI HD
Nat'l Geo HD
Universal HD
MHD
Versus HD/Golf HD

Edit>>>>>>>>>>>I should mention I'm in a former Adelphia area and have had HD Net since before the takeover.
------------------

So it looks like the changes are coming.. i must admit, that even in the absence the HDNets, this is one helluva lineup for this market area:

WGBH HD
CBS HD
ABC HD
NBC HD
WLVI HD
FOX HD
WSBK HD
HGTV HD
Vs HD/Golf HD
TNT HD
FOOD Net HD
NatGeo HD
A&E HD
ESPN HD
NESN HD
INHD 1
MHD
DSC HD
ESPN2 HD
FSNE HD
Universal HD
NFL HD

Paul, you have me thinking of a Series 3... hmmm...
post #1198 of 2507 Old 05-01-2007, 04:13 AM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
WLVI-HD has been on our system for several months now at channel 756.

I don't see how A&E HD, FooD Network HD, HGTV HD, Nat'l Geo HD, Universal HD, MHD & Versus HD/Golf HD can be better than the HDNet channels, particularly HDNet Movies. We get many of these channels in SD already. Getting them in HD isn't going to somehow make the programming better. HDNet Movies is constantly showing interesting movies. Trading old movies in HD for Rachel Ray isn't a good trade in my book.
post #1199 of 2507 Old 05-01-2007, 05:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Edit>>>>>>>>>>>I should mention I'm in a former Adelphia area and have had HD Net since before the takeover.

Shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!

Quote:

So it looks like the changes are coming.. i must admit, that even in the absence the HDNets, this is one helluva lineup for this market area:

WGBH HD
CBS HD
ABC HD
NBC HD
WLVI HD
FOX HD
WSBK HD
HGTV HD
Vs HD/Golf HD
TNT HD
FOOD Net HD
NatGeo HD
A&E HD
ESPN HD
NESN HD
INHD 1
MHD
DSC HD
ESPN2 HD
FSNE HD
Universal HD
NFL HD

Paul, you have me thinking of a Series 3... hmmm...

Yes, it is a nice line up for sure...

The S3 is nice as well. Only $499 if you're a past or present TiVo sub, $599 otherwise.
post #1200 of 2507 Old 05-01-2007, 06:45 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!

Yes, it is a nice line up for sure...

The S3 is nice as well. Only $499 if you're a past or present TiVo sub, $599 otherwise.

Hey i didn't write that shhhh comment, it was from the thread on dsl reports!

Where is it $499 for current subs? i have a S1 w/Lifetime... i want to keep that so i'd probably buy another S1 w/lifetime on ebay, xfer the lifetime over with that one, and the ebay it back...

This is interesting too, Rumored that Tivo will release a sub $300 HD DVR this fall

http://gizmodo.com/gadgets/take-this...all-256576.php

-t
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page