G 
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2312 of 2507 Old 08-12-2010, 05:50 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi, yes, tried 4.1, and a few others. Oddly, i'm watching the game on 29.1 right now. But it's very choppy. All other common HD stations come in fine, ABC, Fox, and others. At halftime I'm going to connect directly to my TV and see if it's just my Happauge 1800 causing the issue.

Update--- I split my cable (yes, hideous but I had to test this) I have a Happauge HVR-1800 and a Sony 46" tv. The Sony TV gets WBZ-HD on 4.1, the PC tuner card does not. I am going to update my 1800 drivers and see if anything changes, I'm currently using the default Microsoft Windows 7 drivers. Will update later.

Edit #2- ok, updated drives did zilch. Not sure why this won't get WBZ but gets tons of other channels just fine. AND my TV picks up WBZ fine also, same cable. Very odd.
post #2313 of 2507 Old 08-15-2010, 06:02 PM

Liked: 11
When will Comcast wake up and realize New England customers would also like to watch SPEED HD which they carry in many other systems throughout the country.
And adding FSCHD would also help cement Comcast as a leader in Sports coverage and add value to the $8 Sports Pack especially outside Football Season when Redzone channel isn't on.
post #2314 of 2507 Old 08-16-2010, 06:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sicariis View Post

When will Comcast wake up and realize New England customers would also like to watch SPEED HD which they carry in many other systems throughout the country.
And adding FSCHD would also help cement Comcast as a leader in Sports coverage and add value to the $8 Sports Pack especially outside Football Season when Redzone channel isn't on.

years maybe. comcast is very slow when it comes to bringing new channels. i just for curiosity browsed some other states and they have a few more channels than us here, which is a shame.

btw, does anybody here got the 3d channels activated yet ? i got a 3d tv and called comcast to activate them but they said it is not available in my area yet even tho i can still access them (with that black screen and a message in the middle) on channels 333 and 334.
post #2315 of 2507 Old 08-16-2010, 06:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Yes , although I don`t have a 3D TV , { yet } last thursday I tuned to ch. 333 and there was golf , well 2 actually.

It seems they are using a side by side ( as opposed to panel top + bottom ) for there 3D signal.

There wasn`t much point in hanging around , but there was NO NEED for any activation
although I have heard talk about it.

From what I hear , if it needs to be activated , it`s FREE , you just have to call CS , but so far there has been a clean signal.

Right now it is just a page add that states more events on the way.

My guess would be Super Bowl 2011 / Daytona 500 / and stuff like that.

I really don`t think you will see much in the way of normal tv viewing ( tv shows ) or movies , BUT !!

I would not be surprised to see Avatar show up on ch. 333 next Fall

Later ,

Gary 
post #2316 of 2507 Old 08-16-2010, 06:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Kind of OT , but :

Has anyone suffered outages last week and yesterday ( Sun. 15 Aug. ) ?

Aug. so far:

Last week no program guide and my box crashed and it took several calls and about 3 hours to do a complete "wipe & re-boot" later that day the program guide was back up.

Yesterday , NO phone or internet service for about 2 hours.

For the past month my internet speed has been all over the place , at times as low as
6 MBs down and 1.5 up.

Sometimes it`s a-ok around 24~25 D & 3 ~3.5 up.

They must be doing something ?

I am off the Londonderry feed , and as mentioned here before , I guess we are the last
for the complete re-build.

I still don`t have Hallmark HD / Weather HD / QVC HD and a few others are still missing.

Still don`t have on screen caller ID

Still don`t have the new menu system for On Demand

So , if anyone cares to comment or has added info , please post !

Later ,

Gary 
post #2317 of 2507 Old 10-19-2010, 10:18 AM
Advanced Member

FYI, just got an automated call from Comcast regarding new guide programming for SA boxes. Apparently tonight in my area (Milford) they are re-programming the SA boxes with new guide software. This doesn't affect me as I have Tivos, but more info can be found here: http://www.comcast.net/meetyourguide/

Looks like the SA boxes will finally shed their 1997 look, get ads and other junk now...glad I don't have one!
post #2318 of 2507 Old 10-19-2010, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdwms View Post

FYI, just got an automated call from Comcast regarding new guide programming for SA boxes. Apparently tonight in my area (Milford) they are re-programming the SA boxes with new guide software. This doesn't affect me as I have Tivos, but more info can be found here: http://www.comcast.net/meetyourguide/

Same here.

Quote:

Looks like the SA boxes will finally shed their 1997 look, get ads and other junk now...glad I don't have one!

Same here. Sheds the 1980's Fisher Price look, and gains a generic 1990's look. Ick.
post #2319 of 2507 Old 10-19-2010, 03:26 PM
AVS Special Member

I just got a "Voice Mail" from Comcast stating that tonight starting at 10 PM the change will start.

I looked at the web site ( link provided by wdwms / TY )

It states that if you have HDMI with Optical out for 5.1 , it might not work

That is how I have mine set up , BUT , I have the newer "Cisco" black box , so I guess I will know tomorrow.

Man , if I lose my 5.1 that is going to sux , it did say that a fix is in the works , but no time frame.

Also :

What about the new HD channels ??????

Have they forgot about them ?

Caller ID on TV screen ?

Londonderry feed still needs a lot of work , I think.

___BUT___ who knows maybe we will be surprised with all kinds of greatness !

___OR____ Disappointed with a box that doesn`t even work.

O__well , that`s Comcast !
post #2320 of 2507 Old 10-20-2010, 05:48 PM

I also got the new guide in Hudson last night. I never got a call but got some flyer about a week or two ago, but just threw it out thinking we wouldn't be eligible since I'm on the old Adelphia network.

Anyways, I don't like this new setup much at all. Maybe it will grow on me, but not only does it have that 90s look, but it also looks a little fuzzy to me. I know its not my tv because the HD channels look fine, just the guide. Almost like it wasn't made for HDTVs or something.

I hate the Ad for a show that is on now, or upcoming to record. It takes up a whole row and its just annoying seeing it over and over, especially for a show I'm already recording.

When recording the display doesn't show the clock but just rEC. I wasn't able to find how to change this in the settings, but I could have missed this.

I do like having the recording space available at the top rather than having to hit B, but so far thats the only positive.

Tivo is looking better and better, especially with the prices so cheap.
post #2321 of 2507 Old 10-21-2010, 04:28 AM

Anyone else notice this? My pet peeve is stretching a non-widescreen signal. And with the new user interface I can't figure out how to check the settings. I used to be able to get into a pretty detailed setup menu for the box. Anyone know how to get to it?

Thanks,
Jeff
Kingston, NH
post #2322 of 2507 Old 10-21-2010, 05:33 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tucker_bmd View Post

Anyone else notice this? My pet peeve is stretching a non-widescreen signal. And with the new user interface I can't figure out how to check the settings. I used to be able to get into a pretty detailed setup menu for the box. Anyone know how to get to it?

Years ago w/the SA boxes you could press the info & guide buttons w/the power off to get to a setup menu. I think, if memory serves me, that was to tell the box what formats your TV supported. Then after powering back on, there is a setup menu that would allow you to control the widescreen and resolution options (passthrough, etc). I think you press settings twice to get to that.

Tons of SA box info here: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=471859

May be an older box but I'm going to guess that most of the features are still there...

what SA boxes is Comcast even handing out in our areas now? I've had a Tivo for over 10 years so a Comcast box is the last thing on my mind!

-t
post #2323 of 2507 Old 10-21-2010, 07:16 AM

Sooo oddly enough I got the update last night... But only on one of my two boxes. I have a 8300hd and a rng200. The rng got the update but not the 8300. Odd. Must be on different schedules.

Also if you use the "stock" remote the buttons are all remapped. It's a pain in the ass.

Jason
post #2324 of 2507 Old 10-21-2010, 07:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnoel View Post

Sooo oddly enough I got the update last night... But only on one of my two boxes. I have a 8300hd and a rng200. The rng got the update but not the 8300. Odd. Must be on different schedules.

Also if you use the "stock" remote the buttons are all remapped. It's a pain in the ass.

This has been an issue for a lot of users based on the comcast blog (http://blog.comcast.com/2010/05/new-...ble-boxes.html)

Supposedly they are working on it and plan to roll it out to the other boxes tonight.
post #2325 of 2507 Old 10-21-2010, 07:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tucker_bmd View Post

Thanks,
Jeff
Kingston, NH

There is lots of discussion about this on the blog I posted above. Here is a quote from a Comcast rep regarding the settings:

Quote:

Regarding the default to 480 >> if you had pass-through selected before the guide change, you should now be set to 1080i with a 480p override. This will display HD sources in 1080i and SD sources in 480p.

To adjust the SD video settings, turn the cable box OFF and leave your TV on. On the front panel of the cable box, press the channel up and channel down buttons simultaneously to set these configurations. From here you can modify the override for your SD settings. The choices are Off, 480i, 480p and Stretch.

To adjust the HD settings, turn the cable box OFF and leave your TV on. On the front panel of the cable box, press the (Menu or Guide) + Info buttons on the front of the set-top box at the same time. The HDTV Setup Wizard screen appears. If your set-top box does not have these buttons, use your Comcast remote control and simply press the HD Zoom button. Then press the �A� key on the Comcast remote control (that button is right below and to the left of the myDVR button). That should walk you through the available settings and the setup process. As you have been doing, I would recommend leaving the cable box on.

post #2326 of 2507 Old 10-21-2010, 08:31 PM
Advanced Member

FYI, check your scheduled recordings if you have a DVR, mine were wiped out by the new software.
post #2327 of 2507 Old 10-21-2010, 09:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye3.1 View Post

FYI, check your scheduled recordings if you have a DVR, mine were wiped out by the new software.

Yes, mine too.

Also make sure you leave the DVR powered on as it will not record if the power is off now.
post #2328 of 2507 Old 10-22-2010, 06:22 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
I got zapped yesterday and all of my scheduled recordings got blown away. On top of that, it now says that my disc is full but I am almost certain that it is not seeing my external hard drive. I'm going to experiment tonight to see if that's true.

Oh, and I really hate this new guide!! Three programs and then an ad is all you see on each screen? Ludicrous. It takes forever to scroll through the guide now. And having the display switch to Rec instead of leaving the channel number? How stupid is this? I want to know the channel number that's recording, not just that it's recording.

Tivo has gotten cheap. Maybe it's time to switch.
post #2329 of 2507 Old 10-22-2010, 06:38 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kw79 View Post

Tivo is looking better and better, especially with the prices so cheap.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bresna View Post

Tivo has gotten cheap. Maybe it's time to switch.

***Paul_S and I grab a brew and toast to our Tivos that continue to work their magic...***

I've had a S1, S3, HD and now I've got two Tivo Premiers.. Paul, you've had at least an S3, Premier and others right?

Come on guys, join in... you'll never go back to the Comcast junk..

-t
post #2330 of 2507 Old 10-22-2010, 07:16 AM

Quote:

***Paul_S and I grab a brew and toast to our Tivos that continue to work their magic...***

I've had a S1, S3, HD and now I've got two Tivo Premiers.. Paul, you've had at least an S3, Premier and others right?

Come on guys, join in... you'll never go back to the Comcast junk..

-t

My TiVo's working just fine, thank you very much!

It's pretty rare (if ever) to see a TiVo update break stuff to this magnitude, as well.

Way back when I lived in Nashua, I had a DirecTiVo.
Since moving into Adelphia/Comcast land, I've had a Series3, and now have a Premier.
post #2331 of 2507 Old 10-22-2010, 09:18 AM

There is also the HTPC with Win7 MCE and the Ceton InfiniTV to consider. Run it at home and it works fantastically.
post #2332 of 2507 Old 10-22-2010, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoopsHD View Post

There is also the HTPC with Win7 MCE and the Ceton InfiniTV to consider. Run it at home and it works fantastically.

How does scheduling recordings work with that set up ?

Do you have to manually schedule stuff by channel/time, or is there a source of guide data that lends itself to series recordings ?
post #2333 of 2507 Old 10-22-2010, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul_S View Post

How does scheduling recordings work with that set up ?

Do you have to manually schedule stuff by channel/time, or is there a source of guide data that lends itself to series recordings ?

MCE has a built in guide and usually get up to 14 days of guide data for everything. With the Ceton tuner and a cable card you get the same channel mapping you get with your normal Comcast box. It does series recording, single recording, etc... though not sure if it can do some of the Tivo fancy stuff. But its also nice if you are a tinkerer you can get Show Analyzer and DVRMSToolBox and have it auto skip commercials. Has the 30 second quick skip. Its nice.

My favorite bit about it... all audio and video is passthrough. The comp does not change it in any way (as long as you have an HDMI or Optical connection that can handle it... though most stuff today can, its the BluRay audio formats that have a problem).
post #2334 of 2507 Old 10-23-2010, 09:25 AM
glp

Quote:

Yes, mine too.

Also make sure you leave the DVR powered on as it will not record if the power is off now.

I tested that theory last night. Set a recording for midnight shut everything down got up this morning and the show was recorded. I'm not saying i like this new set up but I didn't experience the above failure
Gary
post #2335 of 2507 Old 10-23-2010, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jedi29 View Post

I just got a "Voice Mail" from Comcast stating that tonight starting at 10 PM the change will start.

I looked at the web site ( link provided by wdwms / TY )

It states that if you have HDMI with Optical out for 5.1 , it might not work

That is how I have mine set up , BUT , I have the newer "Cisco" black box , so I guess I will know tomorrow.

Man , if I lose my 5.1 that is going to sux , it did say that a fix is in the works , but no time frame.

Also :

What about the new HD channels ??????

Have they forgot about them ?

Caller ID on TV screen ?

Londonderry feed still needs a lot of work , I think.

___BUT___ who knows maybe we will be surprised with all kinds of greatness !

___OR____ Disappointed with a box that doesn`t even work.

O__well , that`s Comcast !

What channels are you referencing when you say "new HD"? I have two tivos and everything went to hell a few months back. Started saying that Fox moved and other channels were available but all I get is a black screen (basically everything from 715-749 and 791-799). I can't get anyone at Comcast to tell me what is going on. They keep sending technicians who say "I don't know" while the phone people tell me I should absolutely have those channels.

I am assuming that my area (near Peterborough) simply does not have them yet but shouldn't customer service or someone have that information?
post #2336 of 2507 Old 10-23-2010, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgorsk02 View Post

Started saying that Fox moved and other channels were available but all I get is a black screen (basically everything from 715-749 and 791-799).

I'm in the same boat you are where it seems like the vast majority of the region has those channels now but I (we) don't. I guess they just haven't gotten around to us yet, but it's been a LONG time and I'm definitely starting to feel ignored. They raised the rates, saying they were providing more and upgrading and blah blah but I'm not seeing it HERE. So why do I have to pay when they haven't gotten to me yet? (Rhetorical question)
post #2337 of 2507 Old 10-23-2010, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by glp View Post

I tested that theory last night. Set a recording for midnight shut everything down got up this morning and the show was recorded. I'm not saying i like this new set up but I didn't experience the above failure
Gary

You are correct. The box will actually power itself on to record so thats good. If you are recording something and try to shut it off, it will prompt you that you are recording something and won't turn off immediately.
post #2338 of 2507 Old 10-25-2010, 07:10 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Quote:

You are correct. The box will actually power itself on to record so thats good. If you are recording something and try to shut it off, it will prompt you that you are recording something and won't turn off immediately.

But after it turns itself back on, does it then turn back off? I'm hearing that it does not.
post #2339 of 2507 Old 10-25-2010, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoopsHD View Post

I took the plunge and pre-ordered the Ceton card. Hopefully I'll have it by the end of November, but I won't hold my breath based on all the delays.

Can't wait to give Comcast back these DVRs. I love my HTPC and already stream it to the bedroom with an Xbox so I think this solution will work well for me.

How was Comcast regarding the install of the cable card? Did they let you do a self-install or did they require a tech? Did they have any issues putting it in a PC?
post #2340 of 2507 Old 10-25-2010, 12:27 PM

Quote:

I took the plunge and pre-ordered the Ceton card. Hopefully I'll have it by the end of November, but I won't hold my breath based on all the delays.

Can't wait to give Comcast back these DVRs. I love my HTPC and already stream it to the bedroom with an Xbox so I think this solution will work well for me.

How was Comcast regarding the install of the cable card? Did they let you do a self-install or did they require a tech? Did they have any issues putting it in a PC?

I had a problem with my Ceton card when I first got it and spent a week troubleshooting with Ceton before they replaced it. But the install went pretty quick. Once the CC was inserted I got the pairing information, he called it in and paired and hit it... then I checked one of my subscribed channels to make sure it worked and that was it.
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page