AVS Forum banner

New Hampshire - Comcast

245K views 3K replies 134 participants last post by  jedi29 
#1 ·
This is the official thread for former Adelphia customers who have been switched to Comcast in NH.

Note that Adelphia ran over Scientific Atlanta gear, not Motorola, so those people with Motorola equipment can probably get answers in the Boston, MA - Comcast thread located here:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=793008

The following color coded table is courtesy of wdwms:

Comcast is currently offering the following HD channels in NH for former Adelphia customers:

Note: the above table is likely more up-to-date than the following:

-- -tier- description

704 CBSHD -- 112-1 - + -- WBZ-DT -- Boston, MA

705 ABCHD -- 112-2 - + -- WCVB-DT - Boston, MA (01/14/05)

706 FOXHD -- 113-1 - + -- WFXT-DT - Boston, MA

707 NBCHD -- 112-3 - + -- WHDH-DT - Boston, MA

708 WLVID -- -78-2 - + -- WLVI-DT - Boston, MA - New England CW - CW56 (01/05/07)

709 ABCHD -- 113-2 - + -- WMUR-DT - Manchester, NH

711 PBSHD -- 113-3 - + -- WENH-DT - Durham, NH

714 WSBKHD - -78-1 - + -- WSBK-DT - Boston, MA (03/21/05)

704 CBSHD -- -86-2 - + -- WBZ-DT -- Boston, MA

705 ABCHD -- -85-1 - + -- WCVB-DT - Boston, MA (01/14/05)

706 FOXHD -- -86-1 - + -- WFXT-DT - Boston, MA

707 NBCHD -- -85-2 - + -- WHDH-DT - Boston, MA

708 WLVID -- -90-2 - + -- WLVI-DT - Boston, MA - New England CW - CW56 (01/05/07)

709 ABCHD -- 113-2 - + -- WMUR-DT - Manchester, NH

711 PBSHD -- -91-2 - + -- WENH-DT - Durham, NH

714 WSBKHD - -90-1 - + -- WSBK-DT - Boston, MA (03/21/05)

750 HBOHD -- ----- - °° - HBO HD

751 SHOHD -- ----- - °° - Showtime HD

752 STZHD -- ----- - °° - Starz HD

753 MAXHD -- ----- - °° - Cinemax HD

760 CNNHD -- ----- - ++ - Cable News Network HD

761 TBSHD -- ----- - ++ - Turner Broadcasting System HD

762 HISTHD - ----- - ++ - History Channel HD

763 USAHD -- ----- - ++ - USA Network HD

764 TNTHD -- ----- - ++ - Turner Network Television HD (12/06 replaced INHD2?)

765 DSCHD -- ----- - ++ - Discovery Channel HD

766 PLDHD -- ----- - ++ - MHD

767 UHD ---- ----- - ++ - Universal HD

768 HGTVHD - ----- - ++ - HGTV HD

769 FOODHD - ----- - ++ - Food Network HD

770 NGCHD -- ----- - +++- National Geographic Channel HD

771 A&EHD -- ----- - ++ - Arts & Entertainment HD

772 ESPNHD - ----- - ++ - ESPN HD

773 NESNHD - ----- - ++ - New England Sports Network

774 MOJO --- ----- - ++ - MOJO HD

775 VS/Golf ------ - ++ - Golf HD

776 HDT ---- ----- - ++ - Discovery HD Theater (11/15/04)

777 NFLHD -- ----- - ° -- NFL HD (12/17/04)

778 ESPN2-HD ----- - ++ - ESPN2 (02/03/05)

779 CSNHD -- ----- - ++ - Comcast SportsNet HD (Boston Celtics Games Only)

780 APLHD -- ----- - ++ - Animal Planet HD

781 SCIFIHD ------ - ++ - Sci-Fi HD

783 DISNHD - ----- - ++ - Disney HD

784 FAMHD -- ----- - ++ - ABC Family HD

785 SCIHD -- ----- - +++- Science HD

786 AMCHD -- ----- - ++ - American Movie Classics HD

787 TLCHD -- ----- - ++ - The Learning Channel HD

790 FNCHD -- ----- - ++ - Fox News HD

801 SHOWHD - ----- - °° - Showtime HD

802 SHO2HD - ----- - °° - Showtime Too HD

810 TMCHD -- ----- - °° - The Movie Channel HD

Tier codes:

+ -- High-definition local channels.

++ - A minimum level of Standard Cable service is required to receive this channel.

+++- A minimum level of Digital Classic service is required to receive this channel.

° -- A subscription to Sports Entertainment Pack is required to receive this channel.

°° - A subscription to the appropriate Premium Pack is required to receive this channel.

Note: Clear QAM verified with a Mits DLP TV & Tivo HD (no cablecard)

Other clear QAM channels (standard definition):

81-12 - Start of Music Choice

81-53 - End of Music Choice

87-15 - On demand previews

90-1 -- NH Shopping

Receivers:
  • Scientific Atlanta Explorer 8300HD DVR - VOD support
  • TiVo HD DVR - no VOD - dual channel rec with 2 single-stream or 1 multi-stream cable card(s)
  • TiVo HD XL DVR - no VOD - dual channel rec with 2 single-stream or 1 multi-stream cable card(s)
  • TiVo Series3 HD DVR - no VOD - dual channel with 2 single-stream or 2 multi-stream cable cards
  • Scientific Atlanta Explorer 8000HD DVR - VOD support - discontinued
  • Scientific Atlanta Explorer 3250HD - discontinued

See less See more
#2 ·
i wonder are the non-pay hd channels broadcast in the clear?

anyone have a mitsu/whatever tv with qam tuner built-in?

the adelphia hd offerings are nice so far. but why no cbs yet -

comcast has cbs now ... also the settop box has menus for PVR but

there's no disc drive in there as far as i can tell ...

#3 ·
I wonder if the PVR is going to be done as Video-on-demand, where they store the programs on a server until you watch them?

I think the loss of WENH-DT last night may have been due to them prematurely going off the air.

#4 ·
I posted this in a different thread ( http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...hreadid=351997 ),

but since this is the "official" one, I'll repeat it here.

I've been in contact with the regional manager for adelphia about adding CBS for the Super Bowl. Although he's optimistic that they'll have approval this week (they already have it up & running in the control center), as usual, he couldn't say for sure. Keep your fingers crossed!

Adelphia also has agreed to carry NDNet & NDNet Movies, which should be available soon, so things are looking up!

Go Pats!

#5 ·

Quote:
Originally posted by tveli
i wonder are the non-pay hd channels broadcast in the clear?

anyone have a mitsu/whatever tv with qam tuner built-in?

I tried with a samsung sir-t351. There are several cable options on the receiver (8vsb and clear qam ) None of them worked

OTOH, from Nashua area there is lots of OTA from Boston you can see

#6 ·

Quote:
Originally posted by perrycom
I posted this in a different thread ( http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...hreadid=351997 ),

but since this is the "official" one, I'll repeat it here.

I've been in contact with the regional manager for adelphia about adding CBS for the Super Bowl. Although he's optimistic that they'll have approval this week (they already have it up & running in the control center), as usual, he couldn't say for sure. Keep your fingers crossed!

Adelphia also has agreed to carry NDNet & NDNet Movies, which should be available soon, so things are looking up!

Go Pats!

Perry, you made my heart race for a second. This can't possibly be true, can it?

Any news?

I'm having people over for the game and having to explain that we'll be watching on the 32" SD TV instead of the 80" projector is gonna be tough.

#10 ·
Picked up my SA 3250HD from Adelphia's Londonderry office yesterday and got the same "we're trying to get CBS by Sunday" refrain. The worst thing was when they told me that Adelphia in Charlotte signed up CBS in HD! How stupid will Adelphia look if they can't get this Superbowl on HDTV in the area of one of the participating teams!

BTW, they say they will not enable the DVI on box because "We have chosen not to support that". What the heck is up with that!?!? It's an output for crying out loud, not an input. Does anyone know how to update the firmware to activate the DVI on the 3250HD?

EDIT: What hosers! I hooked up my DVI cable to the box and "voila!" there it is... I wish one day I could talk to someone at one of these places that knew what he was talking about.

Later,

Kevin

#11 ·
I was also told by the Londonderry, NH office that it was a 50-50 chance for the superbowl. The lady thought it was funny when I mentioned how frustrating it is to keep watching the ads for "Comcast carrying the superbowl in HD" on the Adelphia network! It also took over a month to get an HD converter as I was told they had not anticipated that people would have any interest in HD, so they didn't order a large qty of HD sets.

Do these people even try? I don't think so.

Anyone in the Londonderry area see that most shows on ABC look like crap? NBC a little better. First thought it was my equipment, but then another show came on and it was amazing. HD seems kind of hit and miss for that perfect picture.

#12 ·

Quote:
Originally posted by dj81462
I was also told by the Londonderry, NH office that it was a 50-50 chance for the superbowl. The lady thought it was funny when I mentioned how frustrating it is to keep watching the ads for "Comcast carrying the superbowl in HD" on the Adelphia network! It also took over a month to get an HD converter as I was told they had not anticipated that people would have any interest in HD, so they didn't order a large qty of HD sets.

Do these people even try? I don't think so.

Anyone in the Londonderry area see that most shows on ABC look like crap? NBC a little better. First thought it was my equipment, but then another show came on and it was amazing. HD seems kind of hit and miss for that perfect picture.

I just picked mine up last week.

I had the same thoughts until it was pointed out that all the stuff that looks crappy on ABC, NBC and some HBO isn't actually in HD, despite the fact that it's on XXX-HD.

The stuff that looks great is the HD programming. There is surprisingly little of it available. You can get the list of what's in HD here (thanks to a previous poster):

www.titantv.com

#13 ·
Well, Adelphia couldn't get it done with CBS in time for the Super Bowl. At least I was able to get my analog WBZ signal cleaned up by game time. For some reason, WBZ4 seems to come in crappy all over Atkinson where I live.

A question for fellow HDTV viewers... last night during a break in the game, I switched over to ABC-HD to demonstrate the improvement for a few visiting friends. They were showing "Notting Hill". The audio wasn't in synch! Does that happen often? It was nauseating... we had to switch off... it bothered everyone. Not a very good demo.

Kevin

#14 ·
Can any of my fellow New Hampshirites help me out with my audio snafu on Adelphia on ABC-HD (WMUR 9 Manchester)? I tried watching "Galdiator" last night and the audio and video didn't sync, same as the night before with "Notting Hill". I switched to NBC-HD and there was no problem. Was the problem with WMUR or is it on my end?

I have my SA 3250HD cable box hooked up to my Sony 36XBR using DVI & stereo audio through input 7. I will try running the coaxial digital audio to my HT receiver tonight to see if that changes it but I really hate running the HT set up for simple TV viewing.

Any help would be appreciated, especially if there's a thread here on the AVS forums that talks about this... searching these forums is a bear!

Kevin

#15 ·
Adelphia (at least in NH and MA) should be adding Fox today or tomorrow. Fox isn't broadcasting in HD yet, although I believe some of their shows are broadcast in a widescreen format. They've promised half of their Fall 2004 prime time line-up to be hi-def.

Not as good as getting CBS, but it's better than nothing!

#16 ·
bresna: noticed tonight WMUR-HD channel's audio was horrible (not necessarily out of synch, but crackling badly)...not sure if it's MUR's fault or not, but even the anaolg audio thru the cable is bad. Has been for a few days now. NBC's was fine. Don't know about any others...they're the only ones we get
Do you have a tech line #? pm me.

#17 ·

Quote:
Originally posted by perrycom
bresna: noticed tonight WMUR-HD channel's audio was horrible (not necessarily out of synch, but crackling badly)...not sure if it's MUR's fault or not, but even the anaolg audio thru the cable is bad. Has been for a few days now. NBC's was fine. Don't know about any others...they're the only ones we get
Do you have a tech line #? pm me.

I switched to 709 (ABC-HD) for a bit last night when my wife was watching "Batchlorette" and since this show wasn't in HD, the audio was N'Sync
. I didn't watch it long enough to hear if it was crackling. I was hoping to see if it was better Friday night with George Lopez (which was fine last Friday).

As for a contact at WMUR, I simply called into their main line (from the web site) and said I wanted to talk to someone about their HDTV signal and I was switched to a rather gruff technical guy. He sounded like the "HDTV guy" and claimed that they have a plasma HDTV set up in the studio. He also said they hadn't seen any audio synchronization problems and blamed Adelphia. I don't think he's right. NBC-HD has no such problem.

BTW, last night's non-HD broadcast of "Bacherlorette" on ABC-HD brings up another question: on the SA 3250HD does the "Zoom" setting work well? In other words, if I set it to "Zoom", will the pillored/letterboxed picture expand perfectly or do I lose some picture on the edge? I couldn't tell last night. However, I did notice that a "zoomed" picture is a little fuzzier than the non-zoomed or even the analog one.

Later,

Kevin

#19 ·
I can't seem to receive audio in Dolby Digital, only PCM @48KHz.

This is with a Sony STR-DE995 Receiver and the SA 3250HD.

#20 ·
Well, George Lopez on ABC-HD was not sync'ed last night. It was a lot closer than ever, but still off. "Ed" on NBC-HD was perfect. Seeing "Ed" for the first time in HD, especially when everyone was dressed up in those colorful clown outfits was incredible. This is why I got an HDTV.

Later.

Kevin

#21 ·
Well, I'm now officially regretting my choice of Adelphia for HDTV... I think I should've gone for OTA. At least that way, I'd be able to pick up WCVB out of Boston for ABC-HD. Tonight's showing of "The Lion King" on ABC-HD for WMUR is insultingly bad. The audio is do far off, the screen fades still have audio in them. I don't know who to complain to. WMUR says it's fine, contact Adelphia and Adelphia says it's fine, that's what we get from WMUR. All I know is, WMUR is the only channel that's messed up.

Kevin

#23 ·
DJ, What I meant was that the audio is so out of sync (behind) the video, that if a character is talking as a scene goes to black for a commercial, the voice is still talking while the screen goes black. Now that's out of sync!

It's too bad that this can't be even acknowledged by WMUR or Adelphia. If Adelphia knew how many people I have had over who've been turned off HDTV by this... I mean, Adelphia is charging me $8/month for this service. You'd think they'd want everyone signing up? They won't get any sign-ons if they see this.

Kevin

#25 ·
I pay for their ultimate package and get the HBO, MAX, Starz and Showtime in HD. I watch mostly these channels as the NBC and ABC generally suck. HBO is so so, but MAX, SHOW, STARZ are usually pretty good. If I didn't get those 3 I wouldn't bother with the HD.

DJ

#26 ·
DJ,

Does Adelphia offer a package with only HD channels or do you have to splurge for the whole enchilada to get them? I would be interested in adding HBO-HD, as long as it wasn't too expensive. I'm not really interested in adding a lot of additonal monthly fees but I would like to take full advantage of this beautiful set.

BTW, after my second post about "The Lion King", I switched back to try and time the delay on the audio and it seemed to have improved. Maybe someone at WMUR got my E-mail and adjusted it? I hope they fix this. The picture is simply phenomenal and I'd hate to have to avoid watching it because of an audio problem. The worst thing is that I think I could come up with a way to delay the audio (if the situation was reversed). Delaying a DVI signal is probably impossible.

Kevin

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.