Chattanooga, TN - HDTV - Page 16 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #451 of 2195 Old 01-17-2006, 02:40 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
i live in Dalton and my cable provied is Dalton Utilities, dunno if youve heard of it, but today they finally got ATLANTA's Fox affiliates HDTV channel... I'm so stoked.. ppl in chattanooga i feel your pain, cuz i was waitin on WDSI for about a year
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #452 of 2195 Old 01-17-2006, 03:42 PM

Now that I can finally get WDSI Fox digital I'm having problems with ABC.

Are they still having power problems or is it me?
post #453 of 2195 Old 01-17-2006, 04:37 PM

The answer to this questions is probably no, but I'll ask anyway. I have comcast internet and also subscribe to their basic cable package because the internet connection is cheaper with it. However, I also have D* with the HD package so I can watch the NFL regular season in HD. However, I really want to be able to tune in my local channels in HD. I know D* will eventually get around to updating all their equipment to broadcast HD locals in our market, but who wants to wait for that. So my question is, with all the talk of getting the Comcast HD channels, would it be possible to connect the Comcast feed to my antenna feed on the HD D* box and receive the local channels that way?

If nobody has tried it I'm willing but I do have to ask, is there any risk to the hardware? (I'm not thinking so, but just want to make sure).

Thanks,
LK
post #454 of 2195 Old 01-17-2006, 07:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiVo_Al View Post

Now that I can finally get WDSI Fox digital I'm having problems with ABC.

Are they still having power problems or is it me?

ABC comes in great for me (93%). Fox and WB are fading in and out tonight (70%). Anyone else having issues with either station? I recorded Supernatural on WB53-HD and couldn't watch it due to the signal loss.
post #455 of 2195 Old 01-18-2006, 05:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleKing View Post

The answer to this questions is probably no, but I'll ask anyway. I have comcast internet and also subscribe to their basic cable package because the internet connection is cheaper with it. However, I also have D* with the HD package so I can watch the NFL regular season in HD. However, I really want to be able to tune in my local channels in HD. I know D* will eventually get around to updating all their equipment to broadcast HD locals in our market, but who wants to wait for that. So my question is, with all the talk of getting the Comcast HD channels, would it be possible to connect the Comcast feed to my antenna feed on the HD D* box and receive the local channels that way?

If nobody has tried it I'm willing but I do have to ask, is there any risk to the hardware? (I'm not thinking so, but just want to make sure).

Thanks,
LK

Not possible. Cable uses QAM modulation, while broadcast stations use 8VSB, which is all the HD receiver can handle.

Why not buy an antenna and pick up the local stations that way? Comcast only carries WDEF, WRCB, and WTCI, anyway.
post #456 of 2195 Old 01-18-2006, 11:16 AM

Question guys I've got a HD tuner builtin my tv but, a friend of mine doesn't can he still pickup the local stations without a tuner if he has a antenna? I thought I new the answer to this, but it puzzles me why my friend can't pickup any antenna channels. I have channel numbers that look like this 74-1 because of my tuner. He told me he has no such channel numbers. Where would his HD channels be located? Example he gets (channel 12 CBS but its local CBS not HD) He has a TV one generation under mine so, his number go 1 to 99. He claims their is no - button to push on his remote. What is he doing wrong? He bought the same MANT510 I did. Any ideas?
post #457 of 2195 Old 01-18-2006, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WULFER View Post

Question guys I've got a HD tuner builtin my tv but, a friend of mine doesn't can he still pickup the local stations without a tuner if he has a antenna? I thought I new the answer to this, but it puzzles me why my friend can't pickup any antenna channels. I have channel numbers that look like this 74-1 because of my tuner. He told me he has no such channel numbers. Where would his HD channels be located? Example he gets (channel 12 CBS but its local CBS not HD) He has a TV one generation under mine so, his number go 1 to 99. He claims their is no - button to push on his remote. What is he doing wrong? He bought the same MANT510 I did. Any ideas?

Without an HD tuner, all he's going to be able to get are the regular analog channels.
post #458 of 2195 Old 01-18-2006, 06:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by srrobinson2 View Post

ABC comes in great for me (93%). Fox and WB are fading in and out tonight (70%). Anyone else having issues with either station? I recorded Supernatural on WB53-HD and couldn't watch it due to the signal loss.

I get 93% on ABC but I have random pixilazation. I didn't have any problems with WB last night or Sunday when Supernatural was on.
post #459 of 2195 Old 01-19-2006, 05:18 AM

Ok guys I'm a little late but here's the channel list as it stands right now!

Note: NAC = not a authorized channel
WS = weak or no signal

Direct cable to HDTV with HD builtin tuner (no STB)

12-1 NAC
49-1 WTCI -DT
62-1 (think) CBS HD
65-12 NAC
66-13 NAC
67-3 NAC
68-21 NAC
68-22 NAC
72-9 NAC
71-1 NAC
73-2 NAC
74-1 ESPN HD
79-8 (This was ESPN Radio now it shows NAC)
80-9 NAC
81-14 NAC
82-9 NAC
83-1 NA or WS
88-2 NAC
88-6 NAC
89-8 or 12-8 NAC
90-5 NAC
98-1 NAC
99-53 NAC

Ok that's all the direct cable channels I'm getting. Now for the Antenna channels

3-1 NBC HD
3-2 NBC Weather +
9-1 ABC HD
9-2 ABC analog
12-1 CBS HD
12-2 CBS Weather rader
23-1 TBN
23-2 Church Channel
23-3 JCTV
23-4 Enlace USA
23-5 ?
29-1 ?
40-1 or 61-1 Fox
53-1 WFLI
53-2 WFLI

Does anyone else have any other stations? I thought this might help others.
post #460 of 2195 Old 01-19-2006, 06:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by srrobinson2 View Post

I haven't really watched Fox (no HD), but I did watch Supernatural live on WB and don't remember any drop outs.
post #461 of 2195 Old 01-21-2006, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmessin View Post

Tuning the Comcast provided HD channels yields WRCB, WDEF, WTCI and ESPN. I was unable to find any of the others but didn't expect to. I currently have expanded basic cable service.

Thanks for the info. What is weird is that I have expanded basic from Comcast just like you and I only get ESPN (74-1) and WDEF (12-1). What would cause me not to receive WRCB and WTCI? I've tried entering the channels manually but they were not picked up in the autoprogram so it goes to the next highest channel. I guess I could try another autoprogram and see if they get picked up this time. Any thoughts?

Also, I talked to Comcast today regarding Cablecards. I got some mixed info but what I've gathered is that as long as you stay with the expanded basic (ie don't upgrade to digital) there is no additional fee and I will get 5 or 6 more HD channels. All you have to do is pay the ~$30 install fee. Anybody currently doing this? Thanks for the info.
post #462 of 2195 Old 01-21-2006, 05:50 PM

my autoprogram doesn't pick them up either. but when I manually push 62.3, 62.12, 63.1-4, i am able to pick them up. guess it just depends. works for some and not for others.
post #463 of 2195 Old 01-23-2006, 04:26 AM

I can't find WDEF from Comcast on my tuner card anymore. It used to be on 62-2 but Comcast put the WRCB weather channel there. Anyone else know where it's located?

WRCB is now on 62-1.

Strangely....I happened to come across 3 different channels that had on demand programming running on it. I don't recall the channel numbers right now but I'll post them later when I'm home. The programming doesn't run all the time.

I also sent an email to Tom Bailey at Comcast-Chattanooga about this.....he handles the HD boxes there and usually gets info back to me quickly.

GEAUX LSU Tigers!!!!
post #464 of 2195 Old 01-23-2006, 04:46 AM

Wmessin, I suspect the channels your picking up are ondemand testing channels as I have seen them too. For those looking for WTCI try channel 49-1 and those looking for WDEF try 62-1 as this is where these channels come in for me. I can't help with WRCB I had to get a HD antenna before I was ever able to pick this channel up see above. P.S. I don't think the testing channels with say there if we keep talking about them...

Rockjeep, I too only picked up digital music stations, CBS HD and ESPN HD ONLY when I started (I have expanded basic cable). I suggest if your cablecard idea doesn't work try a HD antenna. I have listed all the channels I recieve above with and without the antenna. The only way to pickup ABC HD is through a HD antenna at this time. I'm assuming you have a HD tuner builtin to your HDTV. P.S. please post what you find out about the cablecard idea as I would like to go that way too but I'm worried I'll lose all these other channels I pickup now if I do that.
post #465 of 2195 Old 01-23-2006, 06:39 AM

Quote:

Wmessin, I suspect the channels your picking up are ondemand testing channels as I have seen them too. For those looking for WTCI try channel 49-1 and those looking for WDEF try 62-1 as this is where these channels come in for me.

strange....I rescanned last night and WRCB was still tuning on channel 62-1 for me. no WDEF in sight.

I got a reply from Comcast and they say that WDEF should be on 62 in some fashion. They had no answer as to why the WRCB weather channel took over 62-2 specifically.

GEAUX LSU Tigers!!!!
post #466 of 2195 Old 01-23-2006, 07:52 AM

Quote:

Ok guys I'm a little late but here's the channel list as it stands right now!

Note: NAC = not a authorized channel
WS = weak or no signal

Direct cable to HDTV with HD builtin tuner (no STB)

I just got my first HD set over the weekend, and I'm still working on how I want everything connected (it's a 52" JVC 720p ILA set). I've got Comcast Digital Cable with a DVR STB connected over HDMI. Am I understanding you correctly that I can connect the cable coax directly to the set's HD tuner and get HD channels in that fashion? I think I'd much prefer that as the STB I have converts all HD content to a single, selectable resolution before sending it over the HDMI or component outputs. I'd much rather let the TV handle converting the video to it's native res. I just assumed I'd need a STB or cable card to get the HD content from Comcast. I suppose I'll try it this evening and see what I get.

I'm out in Ooltewah, thinking about getting an antenna so I can get ABC in HD to watch Lost, but when I picked up my STB, I was told Comcast would be adding more HD content soon. Unfortunately, I'm sure it won't include Fox/WDSI.

Does anyone know if Sci-Fi could possibly be one of those going to HD? I love to watch Galactica, but SD on this set is disappointing. I may have to keep getting it off the net and playing it with the Oppo.
post #467 of 2195 Old 01-23-2006, 09:08 AM

Fatcatfan, yes you can if your HDTV has a builtin HD tuner. The antenna way only works if you have a builtin HD tuner. I listed all the channels I'm currently picking up at this time above. I've got basic expanded cable and a HD antenna ( the antenna is a indoor Phillips MANT510 I got from Wal-mart) and I pickup all of those channels.

Ubulat thanks for the update I'll try those channels tonight! I suspect I can't get them as my tuner picks up channels that are in the clear.

EDIT: Wmessin's right you can't get those channels without a STB! I don't have those but, a dollar a channel a month for HD channels isn't worth it to me when I can get all the local HD channels with a antenna. (Including ABC HD witch even Comcast doesn't have at this time.)
post #468 of 2195 Old 01-23-2006, 11:43 AM

without a cablecard or stb, you won't get INHD, INHD2, Discovery HD, TNT-HD and premium HD channels.

you will, however get local channels in HD (that comcast provides) and ESPN HD.

GEAUX LSU Tigers!!!!
post #469 of 2195 Old 01-23-2006, 04:17 PM

OK, I got my HD tuner card in my HTPC to tune WDEF finally. it's on 62-3.

GEAUX LSU Tigers!!!!
post #470 of 2195 Old 01-24-2006, 06:04 AM

Wmessin do you have any knowledge about the cablecards? My Hitachi can use one of these cards but, I hear they're hit and miss.... Does anyone know for that matter????
post #471 of 2195 Old 01-24-2006, 10:26 AM

Interesting development for WB and UPN http://biz.yahoo.com/prnews/060124/nytu143.html?.v=43

I wonder if our WB WFLI will become a CW station?
post #472 of 2195 Old 01-24-2006, 11:03 AM

It's almost certain they will. WFLI would be CRAZY to go independent.
post #473 of 2195 Old 01-24-2006, 04:58 PM

wmessin,

What sort of antenna do you have? and what general area of Ooltewah are you in? I'm in Meadow Stream, which is a few miles North of the high school.

I'm really not impressed with what I'm getting from Comcast out here, considering the cost. I'll probably "down-grade" once the special pricing is over. If they add more HD content in that time, I might consider keeping it.
post #474 of 2195 Old 01-24-2006, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatcatfan View Post

wmessin,

What sort of antenna do you have? and what general area of Ooltewah are you in? I'm in Meadow Stream, which is a few miles North of the high school.

I'm really not impressed with what I'm getting from Comcast out here, considering the cost. I'll probably "down-grade" once the special pricing is over. If they add more HD content in that time, I might consider keeping it.

I have an indoor silver sensor (cost me $40 at best buy) sitting on top of my wall unit. generally everything comes in ok, especially WTVC. WRCB does go in and out at times but my tuner card can tune QAM cable and I get their HD channel that way as well.

I live in the hamilton on hunter area right behind hunter middle school.

GEAUX LSU Tigers!!!!
post #475 of 2195 Old 01-26-2006, 05:09 PM

Anyone know what is up with WB WFLI? This is the second show this week I've watched that hasn't switched to HD. (Smallville)
post #476 of 2195 Old 01-30-2006, 06:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esaletnik View Post

You'll notice they never give dates for HD. Don't hold you breath.

Just passing info along that was in the e-mail and i grant you i will not hold my breath
post #477 of 2195 Old 01-31-2006, 05:12 PM

I finally got a reply from WFLI. I think I was a little pissed about not seeing Smallville's 100th episode in HD.

Quote:
Mr. Philips,

Your e-mail sent last week (Saturday) was received and read Monday. I apologize for the delayed response. Yes, you are correct Related and Smallville were not broadcast in 1080i HD as normal. The reason is we are experiencing lip sync issues in the HD feed from the WB network. We are working closely with the WB to resolve this issue.

It is good to hear from somebody as excited about HD programming as I am. Thank you for watching.

Dan

post #478 of 2195 Old 02-03-2006, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esaletnik View Post

You'll notice they never give dates for HD. Don't hold you breath.

Received another e-mail from patrick motely he stated he had installed the new digital link to transmitter. I have a vastly improved video quality here in middle valley. He also stated that he hopes to hire another eng. soon to help him.
post #479 of 2195 Old 02-03-2006, 04:23 PM

Has anyone else experienced problems with WFLI lately? I thought something happened to my antenna, so I bought a new one, but now I think the problems are with WFLI's transmission.

From what I understand, WFLI uses WDSI's tower on Signal Mountain for their digital transmission. I can get the WDSI signal at 80% with my Dish Network 942, but WFLI only comes in at 74% at best. This really isn't an issue, but the WFLI signal drops constantly which makes watching content from WFLI unreasonable.

Two weeks in a row of watching Smallville and Supernatural on the satellite broadcasts from other cities instead of the HD version from home is not what I wanted to do
post #480 of 2195 Old 02-03-2006, 04:46 PM

For those of you with Comcast, I heard tonight that they are now carrying WTVC-HD. Whether this lasts beyond the Super Bowl remains to be seen!
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page