Forum Jump: 

post #721 of 2195 Old 09-07-2006, 07:27 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Loblaw View Post

Okay, I'm late to the game but want to make sure I understand what QAM is and how it is available. Where do these channels appear? OTA, Digital Comcast, or SAT?

Bob

I am a true rookie - I just bought our first HD TV this week - and happened to find QAM channels accidentally on the regular comcast cable (not digital). I had finished the initial scanning without finding any new channels and then set the remote down and bumped 66 inadvertently. When I looked up 66-1 was tuned in - in HD!

So I searched the web to see what I had stumbled upon and found the answer here (and found the other channels that are available): QAM.

One correction to the list of channels:
ABC is 66-5 for me - not 66-9.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #722 of 2195 Old 09-07-2006, 10:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by blahtsar View Post

Bob

I am a true rookie - I just bought our first HD TV this week - and happened to find QAM channels accidentally on the regular comcast cable (not digital). I had finished the initial scanning without finding any new channels and then set the remote down and bumped 66 inadvertently. When I looked up 66-1 was tuned in - in HD!

So I searched the web to see what I had stumbled upon and found the answer here (and found the other channels that are available): QAM.

One correction to the list of channels:
ABC is 66-5 for me - not 66-9.

I'm still looking to make the HDTV plunge, I reside in Athens, so I don't think OTA is much of an option, but as far as I know we have the Chattanooga Comcast packages.

QAM is confusing me just a bit, I know it depends on whether Comcast has these in my area, but if they do, is all I need an ATSC tuner on the set I purchase?
post #723 of 2195 Old 09-08-2006, 07:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 30
Quote:

Okay, I'm late to the game but want to make sure I understand what QAM is and how it is available. Where do these channels appear? OTA, Digital Comcast, or SAT?

Simply put, QAM is the type of modulation that cable companies use for thier TV signals. If you have a QAM-capable tuner built into your TV, or a computer tuner card, then you can tune in these signals to watch channels that are "unencrypted"... which is typically only the feed from the local broadcast stations. (Channel 3, 9, 12, 45, 53, 61, etc)

Quote:
QAM is confusing me just a bit, I know it depends on whether Comcast has these in my area, but if they do, is all I need an ATSC tuner on the set I purchase?

No, you need a tuner that specifically has QAM capabiliites. ATSC tuners are only for over the air broadcasts. (from an antenna)
post #724 of 2195 Old 09-08-2006, 07:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puwaha View Post

Simply put, QAM is the type of modulation that cable companies use for thier TV signals. If you have a QAM-capable tuner built into your TV, or a computer tuner card, then you can tune in these signals to watch channels that are "unencrypted"... which is typically only the feed from the local broadcast stations. (Channel 3, 9, 12, 45, 53, 61, etc) (from an antenna)

This is exciting! I have a Samsung SIR-T451 (QAM-capable) digital tuner for OTA HDTV. Curiously, I switched the cable running to the antenna to the Comcast cable and ran a search for channels. I found all the local broadcast channels plus ESPNHD.

So, can I (rather should I) use a splitter on the Comcast cable to feed the TV and the tuner and forget about OTA?
post #725 of 2195 Old 09-08-2006, 07:39 AM

Quote:

I found all the local broadcast channels plus ESPNHD.

Does comcast have all the locals? I don't use QAM but my understanding was that they didn't.

NBC, ABC, CBS, PBS, Fox, MyNetworkTV, and WB (soon to be CW).
post #726 of 2195 Old 09-08-2006, 08:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Comcast doesn't carry FOX 61, or WB/CW 53 yet. So an OTA antenna will still be needed for those stations.
post #727 of 2195 Old 09-08-2006, 10:55 AM

Thanks for the correction. Still, getting ESPNHD is sweeeeeeet!
post #728 of 2195 Old 09-08-2006, 11:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Thanks for the correction. Still, getting ESPNHD is sweeeeeeet!

No doubt! Being able to watch the Tennessee game last weekend was the only reason why I keep the "HD lifeline" package with Comcast.
post #729 of 2195 Old 09-08-2006, 02:53 PM

Got ABC signal back this afternoon.
post #730 of 2195 Old 09-08-2006, 07:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shrudge View Post

Got ABC signal back this afternoon.

and 61 is down again!! just in time for football
post #731 of 2195 Old 09-09-2006, 04:07 PM

So Fox is off the air. I just bought a Sony KDF46-E2000 television and I was wondering if anyone thinks I will be able to recieve 61 in HD over the air from my location at the North end of Dayton Blvd.....close to the Bilo. Assuming of course if it returns to the air. I can see some towers up on the ridge. The antenna web site (no urls allowed) did give me some good info. Can anyone recommend a good indoor antennae. I want my Prison Break and 24 (and others) in HD. Why does Comcast Digital not have it? Thanks for any comments. Bring on the HD channels. SD sucks. HD rocks !!!!!!
post #732 of 2195 Old 09-09-2006, 04:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamaran-2000 View Post

So Fox is off the air. I just bought a Sony KDF46-E2000 television and I was wondering if anyone thinks I will be able to recieve 61 in HD over the air from my location at the North end of Dayton Blvd.....close to the Bilo. Assuming of course if it returns to the air. I can see some towers up on the ridge. The antenna web site (no urls allowed) did give me some good info. Can anyone recommend a good indoor antennae. I want my Prison Break and 24 (and others) in HD. Why does Comcast Digital not have it? Thanks for any comments. Bring on the HD channels. SD sucks. HD rocks !!!!!!

You live close to me and I can see the anntenna too. I pick up 61 with a $1.00 antenna from the dollar store. That should be no problem. The problem is those b*stards at 61 who are screwing us again just before football season. I pay $200 for NFL Sunday ticket and I can't see the Falcons in HD because they black it out and I am forced to watch "Searching for signal" on 61-1. I am so flippen sick of these arseholes at wdsi.

/Post sanitized for your protection. Replace sanitized word with actual words for full impact
post #733 of 2195 Old 09-09-2006, 05:23 PM

My Sony RP HDTV only seems to allow me to tune to whole numbers. How do I tune to 61.1 manually? Thanks
post #734 of 2195 Old 09-10-2006, 05:39 AM

Anyone receiving Fox HD with MCE since they apparently changed something about a week ago.

Comes in fine with fusion software but MCE won't tune it in. I don't know why they won't just leave well enough alone. I actually got to watch three FOX shows in HD before they screwed it up again.

Did notice something odd this morning. When I scanned digital channels with the Fusion software it listed FOX as channel 400 and 401. I'm wondering if this is what is screwing up MCE as it is "expecting" 40.1 and 40.2?

As usual with Fox61, I have received no answer to an e-mail inquiry over a week ago as to what they have changed.

Don
post #735 of 2195 Old 09-10-2006, 05:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonInTn View Post

Anyone receiving Fox HD with MCE since they apparently changed something about a week ago.

Comes in fine with fusion software but MCE won't tune it in. I don't know why they won't just leave well enough alone. I actually got to watch three FOX shows in HD before they screwed it up again.

Did notice something odd this morning. When I scanned digital channels with the Fusion software it listed FOX as channel 400 and 401. I'm wondering if this is what is screwing up MCE as it is "expecting" 40.1 and 40.2?

As usual with Fox61, I have received no answer to an e-mail inquiry over a week ago as to what they have changed.

I think the 40.3 and 40.5 subchannels may be the issue for me too. I have a Dish Network 622 receiver, and I used to pickup the Fox SD broadcast, but when they switched to these new channels, my receiver lost the signal and won't lock on now. I get a signal strength indicator of 84%, but no call letters, and no signal lock. Why do they do it differently than everyone else in town?
post #736 of 2195 Old 09-10-2006, 06:12 AM

I did a little more investigating on why I can't get FOX61 through MCE. Looking a little closer at the information the Fusion software gets it seems that the PSIP info FOX61 is transmitting says their are 400.1 and 401.1. I'm guessing that this why MCE and some OTA set top boxes get confused as they don't understand OTA digital channels above 100. It shows good signal strength on the signal on 40 but is getting PSIP info that says it is 400.1 and can't resolve the conflicting information?

I have no idea why the Fusion software doesn't seem to mind whatever they have screwed up.

The bigger question is how do we get them to fix it???? I have had ZERO luck getting them to respond to emails.

Don
post #737 of 2195 Old 09-10-2006, 06:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by srrobinson2 View Post

I think the 40.3 and 40.5 subchannels may be the issue for me too. I have a Dish Network 622 receiver, and I used to pickup the Fox SD broadcast, but when they switched to these new channels, my receiver lost the signal and won't lock on now. I get a signal strength indicator of 84%, but no call letters, and no signal lock. Why do they do it differently than everyone else in town?

Same here. I have a Directv receiver and it used to come up on 61-1. Now the strength meter says 86% and "searching for signal" on the screen. They keep advertising MyNetwork on their analog channel but it is no where to be found on the Directv receiver. If indeed they are broadcasting an HD and MyNetwork signal somewhere then it is odd that the two major satelitte receivers (Dish and Direct) can't find them.
post #738 of 2195 Old 09-10-2006, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esaletnik View Post

Same here. I have a Directv receiver and it used to come up on 61-1. Now the strength meter says 86% and "searching for signal" on the screen. They keep advertising MyNetwork on their analog channel but it is no where to be found on the Directv receiver. If indeed they are broadcasting an HD and MyNetwork signal somewhere then it is odd that the two major satelitte receivers (Dish and Direct) can't find them.

Folks, let's call this guy tomorrow. He responded to a couple of emails from me over a week ago and promised to look into the issue. Since then--nothing...

Patrick Motley
Chief Engineer
FOX61
1101 East Main Street
Chattanooga TN 37408
post #739 of 2195 Old 09-10-2006, 10:20 AM

I have been able to find the FOX HD signal in unconventional manner. I too have a DISH 622 receiver and can not get it to lock on the FOX signal.

However, I also have basic cable to receive my local channels, and my TV has an ATSC receiver. Trying to find FOX, I hooked the cable directly to my TV and ran a scan with my TV. The only HD channel I found was FOX. It is listed as channel 90-3.

Don't know if this will help anyone else, but I am currently watching the Atlanta-Carolina game, and hope to be able to watch the Cowboys later today.

post #740 of 2195 Old 09-10-2006, 12:47 PM

So cool. Just stay there for longer than a few days. I have digital cable and I found Fox in glorious HD located at 90.3. That is of course with no set top box on my Sony Quam tuner.
post #741 of 2195 Old 09-10-2006, 01:16 PM

I have a Terk HDTVA antenna. I live in Fort Oglethorpe, right behind Zaxbys. I am able to get NBC, ABC, CW, but not Fox (Figures) and CBS. Any suggestions on how to get CBS? I have a Westinghouse 37 LCD with HDTV built in.
post #742 of 2195 Old 09-10-2006, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamaran-2000 View Post

So cool. Just stay there for longer than a few days. I have digital cable and I found Fox in glorious HD located at 90.3. That is of course with no set top box on my Sony Quam tuner.

WTF !!! Dish and Directv will never be able access FOX HD now!! What is it with that channel. Just when you think you finnally have FOX HD they pull this crap!!
post #743 of 2195 Old 09-10-2006, 01:40 PM

Quote:

Folks, let's call this guy tomorrow. He responded to a couple of emails from me over a week ago and promised to look into the issue. Since then--nothing...

Patrick Motley
Chief Engineer
FOX61
1101 East Main Street
Chattanooga TN 37408

I'm going to call and call all freaking day tomorrow until they call the cops on me to get my point accross.
post #744 of 2195 Old 09-10-2006, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esaletnik View Post

I'm going to call and call all freaking day tomorrow until they call the cops on me to get my point accross.

I spoke to one of the three stooges that work in the eng. dept with motley just after the tried to fire up the my network channel; and asked him what in the h--- was going on and what was thier problem, he told me not to complain to him but complain to the manager Tracye what ever her name is, He gave me the run around about not haveing the right eqpt. or the money to hire the right people to keep it going, I'am so tired of the b.s lies they tell you. If they can't deliver the programming that they brag about on thier web site they should just shut up.
post #745 of 2195 Old 09-11-2006, 04:47 AM

I think what's most frustrating about WDSI is that the FOX HD channel was working fine 2 weeks ago and they screwed it up! It seems pretty obvious that they have changed something while trying to bring that silly MyNetwork subchannel online.

Maybe I'm just stupid, but it seems that it'd be better to have actually have the FOX HD channel working before worrying about getting MyNetwork subchannel up. WDSI is only about 3 years behind the other stations in the area regarding HD, and when they finally get it working, they break it.

Apparently they are just too dumb to just revert back to however they had it set up two weeks ago. I understand that you can have hardware/software issues that cause the OTA signal to go down from time to time, but that is not the case here. The signal is going out, it's just set up incorrectly so that most set top boxes and MCE boxes can't understand it.

I mean, the people at WDSI make it sound like they are reinventing the wheel. All of these issues have happened in other markets, and have been sorted out and corrected. Hell, they've been stalling HD for three years in Chattanooga. Any problem they may have has already been encountered and been fixed somewhere, probably several years ago!!! You'd think that station engineers would talk to each other????

Oh wait, Mr. Motley is obviously too busy screwing up the HD channel and ignoring e-mails to actually talk to some other station engineer who might be able to help him sort things out.

Don
post #746 of 2195 Old 09-11-2006, 06:29 AM

I guess WDSI getting bought isn't going to change anything...
post #747 of 2195 Old 09-11-2006, 07:07 AM

Hello...thanks for the info on the situation. We lost our PSIP infornmation about a week ago. It is supplied by our main station in Scranton, PA through our computer network and we have been working on getting it restored from them. The Dish and Direct TV tuners require this information more than other receivers. I will let you know when it is back. Thanks for your patience. It has been quite a challenge to build the MyNetwork channel during all of this. Patrick Motley

----

Let's keep our fingers crossed!
post #748 of 2195 Old 09-11-2006, 08:16 AM

Quote:

Hello...thanks for the info on the situation. We lost our PSIP infornmation about a week ago. It is supplied by our main station in Scranton, PA through our computer network and we have been working on getting it restored from them. The Dish and Direct TV tuners require this information more than other receivers. I will let you know when it is back. Thanks for your patience. It has been quite a challenge to build the MyNetwork channel during all of this. Patrick Motlley

Well, at least you got a response. Now we know that it's "only" a networking problem that they can't seem to fix for the better part of two weeks!

But I think his response shows what the real problem is at FOX61. The fact that they are devoting any of their engineering time at this point to getting the MyNetwork channel up before getting the primary FOX HD channel broadcasting in a stable matter is just plain silly. Maybe Mr. Motley wouldn't feel so "challenged" if he'd just focus on getting the primary Fox HD channel broadcasting for more than a few days at a time.

Fox viewers in Chattanooga have been waiting 2-3 years for them to get off their butts and and start HD broadcasts so my "patience" is wearing a little thin at this point. I would venture to guess that the vast majority of Fox viewers could care less about the silly MyNetwork subchannel with little or no programming. We just want our HD Fox primetime shows and sports!

Don
post #749 of 2195 Old 09-11-2006, 08:54 AM

Just an update for those of you who are in the situation where your Dish/Direct TV box or MCE wouldn't tune to FOX. It seems that as of 12pm today, they are transmitting their PSIP info again. When I tuned via Fusion software I received the WDSI call sign and I could tune to Fox 40.1 via MCE and receive the station. I did not see the 40.2 MyNetwork via the Fusion software.

Don
post #750 of 2195 Old 09-11-2006, 10:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Anybody spotted HD for Fox and/or CW(WFLI) on Comcast digital cable, other than QAM?
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page