Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 2195 Old 01-04-2005, 11:29 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:

Originally posted by fletchbill
Really glad to find this thread. Just got my HD receiver. It's a Samsung SIR-TS360. Live in the East Brainerd area. Pulling in OTA HD with a Radio Shack UHF/VHF 80" boom antenna mounted in the attic. No amplifier. NBC/ABC/CBS digital channels come in great with one exception - No audio on NBC(WRCB). Is anyone else having this problem tonight? or is it my equipment?

Thanks for the help. Bill

Might just be an NBC issue of some sort. We have the same problem. Monday AM, worked great, sound and pic. Got home from work and no sound at all on NBC. All other channels are doing great. Still no sound before leaving for work this AM.

FWIW- We also have the Samsung receiver. So I guess it could be a Samsung issue since our sound goes through that too. I have no idea what brand of OTA antenna we have. Bought several till we found one that worked. I do know it's indoors and rather small. Out of desperation we got local HD through Comcast but it's horrible. No ABC and pic on NBC is only using part of the screen, less than any other channel I've seen so far. We hope to chunk Comcast as soon as we are sure all the problems are worked out with our OTA signal. But at least the sound is working on the Comcast NBC HD broadcast.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 2195 Old 01-08-2005, 11:23 AM

It's been almost a week and I still have no audio on Channel 3. I have an 80% signal strength and the video quality seems fine. I live in Cleveland about 30 miles northeast of Chattanooga and I also can't recieve Channel 12's digital feed at all. Is there anyone else in my area that has had any luck with channel 12? I can get Channel 9 and the the local PBS signal with around 60-80% signal.
post #93 of 2195 Old 01-10-2005, 07:08 AM

Still no audio for us on Channel 3 OTA. We also have a strong signal and excellent picture. Same strength as we have on Channel 9 and it comes in excellent both picture and sound. I have a sinking suspision that it's a Samsung reciever issue of some sort. Though what I have no idea. We are able to watch Channel 3 using Comcast's HD basic service. I'm in Signal Mountain but do have problems with Channel 12 sometimes. It's the most picky of all three channels on our antenna position. Hopefully someone can give you more help on your specific location. I'm just happy we get Channel 9 since Comcast doesn't have it on their basic HD service.
post #94 of 2195 Old 01-10-2005, 07:18 AM

I'm out in the 58 area. I'll check it tonight and let you know if I'm having any problems. I have a samsung too.
post #95 of 2195 Old 01-10-2005, 10:18 AM

Haven't been able to get back to my audio problem on NBC yet. I did notice that my antenna signal strength was only 45%. I had just assumed that it was OK because the picture was coming in so well. I will play around with that tonight and let you know if I have any luck.

Bill
post #96 of 2195 Old 01-10-2005, 05:45 PM

Still no audio here either. I have an RCA DTC-210 so i don't think it's just a Samsung problem.
post #97 of 2195 Old 01-12-2005, 07:03 AM

I checked mine last night and I also don't have any audio on NBC with my Samsung in the 58 area.
post #98 of 2195 Old 01-13-2005, 09:00 AM

No sound for us still.

Does anyone in the area have sound OTA on 3.1? I do get sound via COMCAST channel 232 but I don't like the picture as well and want to dump Comcast's box if we can figure out this one issue.

Wonder what's going on or where to go to get answers?
post #99 of 2195 Old 01-13-2005, 03:54 PM

I'm getting sounds just fine on 3-1. Using an HDTivo.

Ed Aslinger is the chief engineer over there, you may want to give him a call and see if they've made any changes recently and/or if he has any suggestions.
post #100 of 2195 Old 01-17-2005, 12:06 PM

Update on my no sound on NBC channel 3-1 issue:

Does not appear to be a problem with the broadcaster or my antenna. I lost my local satellite networks earlier this week (Directv shut them off by mistake) and all of a sudden the sound on 3-1 was fine. Then it disappeared again when the satellite locals were turned back on. It was like both NBC satellite channel 3 and NBC OTA HD channel 3-1 were both trying to use the same audio resource. So my latest guess is that it is a software or hardware problem with the HD receiver. No one at DirecTv has any ideas on it.

Bill
post #101 of 2195 Old 01-18-2005, 12:04 PM

I don't get locals through DTV so that isn't affecting mine. I use to get audio fine but I still don't have audio on NBC.
post #102 of 2195 Old 01-18-2005, 12:21 PM

Anyone in hte Chickamauga/Fort O/Ringgold area able to get OTA HD?
post #103 of 2195 Old 01-18-2005, 12:26 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by ColdBrew
I don't get locals through DTV so that isn't affecting mine. I use to get audio fine but I still don't have audio on NBC.

Same here. No local with DTV. And no sound still. Matter of fact, I had audio for one morning and have changed nothing. Had audio, turned off everything and went to work. Came home from work, turned all back on and no audio.
post #104 of 2195 Old 01-19-2005, 11:00 AM

72scout, you should be able to get 3,9 and 12 no problem because I receive it in LaFayette with amplified rabbit ears, so you should have no problem.

For those about to rock we salute you!
post #105 of 2195 Old 01-19-2005, 11:11 AM

Thanks Jerry. Nice to hear from you again. What are you using to recieve your HD (HTPC w HD Card or HD Reciever)? How are Robin and the kids?

Take Care.
post #106 of 2195 Old 01-20-2005, 11:02 PM

Well I found a way to recieve audio on WRCB. On my RCA DTC 210 I removed my primary off air location in the installation menu and rebooted my reciever and the audio came back. Now when i add my zip code for primary off air location I lose the audio again. So looks like I'll have to live without the local guide data but at least I have sound now untill this is fixed.
post #107 of 2195 Old 01-21-2005, 05:19 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by MikeBleedsBlue
Well I found a way to recieve audio on WRCB. On my RCA DTC 210 I removed my primary off air location in the installation menu and rebooted my reciever and the audio came back. Now when i add my zip code for primary off air location I lose the audio again. So looks like I'll have to live without the local guide data but at least I have sound now untill this is fixed.

Awesome! While it makes no sense why there is a problem, I think this might just fix mine too, as I do have the local zip code in as a primary air location. And I don't need the guide data either. Can't wait to give this a try and see if I get sound back.
post #108 of 2195 Old 02-02-2005, 10:41 AM

This is a copy and paste of a thread I posted in the HD recorders section. I live in Harrison so anything that says "my locals" or the like just try to fill in with 3-1, 9-1, 12-1. etc.

I just upgraded from the Samsung 360 HD reciver to the HR10-250 HD DVR and I have an RCA HD reciever upstairs. The RCA picks up all OTA channels that are local, and they come in fine. My Samsung picked them up just fine (same wiring downstairs as before). The HD DVR picks up local NBC and PBS just fine with a constant 92 on both tuners of the OTA signal strength meters, however the local ABC and CBS (which I recieved the day before and still recieve upstairs on the RCA) do not come in. On one tuner the ABC is fluctuating from 10-40 constantly and on the second it is between 50-60. This lets me view a very broken up, almost constantly frozen picture on the local ABC only on the second tuner. The local CBS doesn't come in enough on either tuner (which again are not constant on either, one jumps up and down and the other signal meter jumps up and down independtly) to do that. As I said before, local NBC and PBS come in fine but ABC and CBS are not. Any solutions or suggetions.

I've already:

1. Restarted the HD DVR
2. Cleared and rescanned for channels
3. Checked the cable from the antenna to the splitter and switched the cables (still upstairs worked downstairs didn't)
4. Wasted time on the phone with DirecTV hoping they could offer tech support for their STB.

Thanks for any possible help.
post #109 of 2195 Old 02-08-2005, 08:00 AM

I spoke to some engineers for Fox and ABC in Chattanooga. ABC will triple it's signal strength from 200KW to 600KW this summer, and Fox is planning to have it's permanent tower in place and running by early August.

Also, for anyone that is interested, I live in GA just past the state line near East Ridge. With an indoor antenna from radioshack (15-1872) I am picking up everything except FOX (which is only using a 6KW transmitter).
post #110 of 2195 Old 02-08-2005, 05:40 PM

Just to add, WDEF (CBS) will be going full power this summer as well.
post #111 of 2195 Old 02-09-2005, 06:34 AM

Sounds good. Now for WB to go HD so I can get my smallville in HDTV.

Forgot to add that I still don't get sound on NBC.
post #112 of 2195 Old 02-09-2005, 06:41 AM

I removed the local zip code from my DTV box and our sound problems are gone. The only problem we have now is some occasional pixelation. I hope this is corrected as the stations up their broadcast strengths.

I do find it almost a step backwards to have to return to fidgeting with an antenna to get a signal. Isn't that what we did in the days before cable? OTA HD signals have a long way to go before they are ready for the mass population. Without this site, I would have given up and just had no HD signal on our local channels.
post #113 of 2195 Old 02-09-2005, 08:06 AM

Just spoke to someone at WRCB (NBC). They are operating at full power and have no plans to upgrade their broadcast strength beyond what it is now.

They claim that any problems people are having with signal/sound are probably issues with their tuners.

Also, this past weekend while messing with my antenna I picked up WB in HD. I think they must have been testing their transmitter because it was only up about 10 or 20 minutes.
post #114 of 2195 Old 02-09-2005, 08:08 AM

I would like to see a list of HD OTA tuners and antenna setups that people have had SUCCESS with! I'm going to go and buy one shortly.

Also: Is there any benefit to having an HD tuner set up on a 4:3 SD Tv? I was told the picture is still digital and would be better than the analog even on an SD tv. True?

Thanks
post #115 of 2195 Old 02-09-2005, 09:36 AM

I have a Sanyo HT30744 with built in tuner. Using it with a Terk indoor HDTV antenna (radioshack model 15-1872). I pick up everything broadcasting in Chattanooga area except for FOX, but I've been told that they are only broadcasting SD over HD equipment at 6K watts.

Had to play around with the aiming for awhile, but now that I have it set, I have no problems.

I live just across the Georgia State line, about 7-8 miles from downtown, right outside of East Ridge.

I wouldn't waste money on a tuner on a SD 4:3 tv. Haven't ever tried it to see how it looks, but I would think it would be kind of a waste. The tv I have goes for about $650 at wal-mart and is a cheap way to get into HD, with a tuner built in.
post #116 of 2195 Old 02-09-2005, 03:28 PM

I probably have no idea what I am talking about but I need some help for a neophyte in the area of HD. I live in Cleveland and get my locals out of Chattanooga via Dish. I can't pick up OTA I assume. I don't understand the whole concept of how it is possible to receive OTA HD from Chattanooga yet someone said in a earlier post that it could be years before we might see the locals in HD through Dish. I know this is probably a stupid question but would someone be kind enough to take a little time and explain to me how this whole HD thing works. Thanks
post #117 of 2195 Old 02-10-2005, 12:09 AM

I live in Cleveland also and currently get ABC, NBC, and PBS perfectly over the air. First you'll need an off air antenna and you just plug that into the off air tuner of your dish HD receiver. If CBS does go high power this summer i'm sure we'll be able to get that as well. If you have any other questions just let me know.
post #118 of 2195 Old 02-10-2005, 05:07 AM

Thanks for the reply. I will check into the OTA. What do you think the timeframe will be before we can expect to see HD from these channels through Dish. And again I don't understand how this works. If you can get HD from these stations where does the problems lie in the sattelite services getting these HD signals. Is it the satt. company dragging their feet or does it have something to do with the local stations out of Chattanooga. Pleas try to explain to me how this works. Thanks
post #119 of 2195 Old 02-10-2005, 05:10 AM

Sorry I forgot to ask what type of equiptment you have in order to receive these signal OTA in Cleveland. Thanks
post #120 of 2195 Old 02-10-2005, 11:00 AM

It's the local station broadcasting a digital signal. I have Directv HD reciever and it has an off air tuner and i'm sure your Dish Net reciever has the same. If you want local HD an off air antenna in this area is the only way to go as the satellite providers don't currently have enough bandwith to carry these channels...and the Picture quality is above what the satellite providers offer (IE no compressing or donwrezzing channels).
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page