Chattanooga, TN - HDTV - Page 65 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1921 of 2195 Old 12-02-2009, 07:34 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Is anyone using EPB?

We are debating whether to switch to them from comcast. we got degraded to basic cable when comcast did the switch that required getting STB's. didn't mind it at first, because we still got a fair amount of QAM, but we don't get much of anything anymore. so I guess we'll have to either get a better comcast package (and STB's) or try EPB.

I'm wondering how the internet speed compares, also.

Tim
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1922 of 2195 Old 12-04-2009, 11:48 AM

They dumped your extended basic from your analog service, but have they also since scrambled the clear-QAM for 14-78? I can still get those on my TVs and digital PVR tuners. At least the last time I checked.

I was told by a guy (claimed to be a trainer) at the Northgate branch that there were no plans to scramble the extended basic any time soon.
post #1923 of 2195 Old 12-13-2009, 01:39 PM

What's up with our local FOX? No Titans game?????
post #1924 of 2195 Old 12-24-2009, 09:21 AM

I'm using windows media center to currently watch the clear QAM and analog channels that comcast is putting out very successfully. However it is comcast.

I'm wondering if anybody has tried to get any of the video streams from EPBFi yet. I saw that somebody was able to tune to analog stations using a regular analog tuner but I'm more interested in the hd format. Does anybody know any details on what format its in or how its streamed?

One thing I would like to try but can't since I don't have their tv service yet is this dvblink software that is suppose to work with IPTV solutions. If anybody wants to try it out (it has a 30 day trial) and let me know the success I would be very happy ;-).

So yeah any details would be appreciated
post #1925 of 2195 Old 12-24-2009, 09:21 AM

the link to that software is here http://www.dvblogic.com/
post #1926 of 2195 Old 01-05-2010, 10:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carazy View Post

I'm using windows media center to currently watch the clear QAM and analog channels that comcast is putting out very successfully. However it is comcast.

I'm wondering if anybody has tried to get any of the video streams from EPBFi yet. I saw that somebody was able to tune to analog stations using a regular analog tuner but I'm more interested in the hd format. Does anybody know any details on what format its in or how its streamed?

One thing I would like to try but can't since I don't have their tv service yet is this dvblink software that is suppose to work with IPTV solutions. If anybody wants to try it out (it has a 30 day trial) and let me know the success I would be very happy ;-).

So yeah any details would be appreciated

I don't think anyone here has access to EPBFi yet. I have seen them stringing up the fiber down Shallowford road for the past month or so. I guess my neighborhood could be one of the first to light up as I only live about 9 houses down the entrance road from Shallowford (Ranch Hills subdivision).

But I don't know what sort of value I can expect from EPB. From the prices I've seen listed on their website... they seem pretty expensive for the cable-tv side of things. Especially when you can con Comcast into lower competitive rates and "special offers". I'm paying $33 for internet service (12Mb/s I think... but never get anywhere near that) and the Digital starter package for TV. That gets me all the 2-90-something channels and quite a few higher channels in QAM goodness.

I also use Media Center, and so far with the current setup... I don't have many complaints. I would like to get more channels in HD, but that would require CableCard. I'm waiting with baited breath for the CES show where I might know some more details about the new Ceton 4 tuner cablecard tuner... and the newly announced SiliconDust CableCard tuner. I already have the ATSC/QAM 2-tuner model from SiliconDust, and their network-based tuners are easily the most reliable piece of equipment I've ever seen... going on 3 years strong now.

I would assume that EPB would have some sort of CableCard compatible system in place as well. I've read where people in the various AT&T U-Verse or Verizon fiber areas get setup with CableCards on their fiber-based systems. Or they could just have an open QAM system like Comcast has. Where the Box on the side of your house (or is it on the pole?) does the fiber to coax conversion. Though, I'm pretty sure they would prefer that you have some sort of conditional access device like their own set-top-box, or a cablecard. I don't think they'd just leave all the channels unencrypted and on open QAM. I don't think I've read anything about IPTV based tuners.
post #1927 of 2195 Old 01-06-2010, 05:16 AM

I got an email at my work account a couple weeks ago that fiber was available there now. Hixson area, Norcross Rd.
post #1928 of 2195 Old 01-07-2010, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HemiCuda70 View Post

They dumped your extended basic from your analog service, but have they also since scrambled the clear-QAM for 14-78? I can still get those on my TVs and digital PVR tuners....

I decided to stay with comcast for (at least) a 6 mo. $29/mo digital starter trial. after i went down and got the boxes and activated them, I had only 7 channels thru their boxes. Had to have a guy come out - he found a trap (filter) was on the pole. That was apparently what was keeping me from getting the other QAM channels also.

After he took the trap off, I could get the channels I was supposed to thru the box - but no HD. But without the box I can get the network and PBS channels in HD and the other channels like Food & ESPN non-HD. So I just don't use the box.
post #1929 of 2195 Old 01-22-2010, 01:07 AM

Wow, guess I never realized we had our on thread here or maybe it was way old when I last seen it.

I'm just trying to find people talking about Epbfi. I just ordered it but It'll take 5 days minimum to get started setting up since I'm porting a number from Comcast. I just got through with a special from Comcast and I'd have to wait 6 months to get another one so I'm switching since epb is cheaper and faster internet to boot. 100/100 Mb would be nice but then again a twin turbo Porche would too.
I'm next to drivers license/car testing off Bonny Oaks btw. Epb just hung flyers on doors a few days ago.
post #1930 of 2195 Old 01-22-2010, 08:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cynder View Post

I just got through with a special from Comcast and I'd have to wait 6 months to get another one so I'm switching since epb is cheaper and faster internet to boot.

Do you mind letting us know what you are paying for your EPBFi service? If I'm not mistaken people have been getting Triple Play (TV, VOIP phone, internet) for $30 for a year. What were you paying for your Comcast service?

Also, are there any hidden fees in the EPBfi service? Things like DVR or STB rental (cable cards available?) Installation fees, etc?
post #1931 of 2195 Old 01-22-2010, 11:41 AM

Not to mention Comcast just screwed around with the big 3 today. NBCHD went to 3-2. Sage won't tune 3, 9, or 12 in HD. The LG TV picked up some of the changes already. Another reason Comcast stinks.

PC DVR users should check their channels if you have any recordings today. I haven't noticed any extended basic changes yet.
post #1932 of 2195 Old 01-22-2010, 11:56 AM

They just got through running new line and attaching boxes.

Attachment 164444

All prices on there site are what your charged. My package $163 plus they say 11% 911, tax, etc.
http://epbfi.com/you-pick/
No remote fee, no modem because it's fiber and straight wired. Rg5 minimum wiring. I still have a few rooms old rg5 and a box of rg6 I'll probably wire today. I hate my crawl space! Cave crickets are slow right now though :P
If you don't have an outlet the charge is $29. If they have to come back to install outlet it's $39. Installation is free unless unless you cancel service within 12 months is the only hidden fee I know of. $75 if you cancel. No charge to downgrade service.

I was paying $170 something total lowest for Comcast even with specials and still have a few for dvr, 0- HD channels, 3 rooms, 12Mb, modem and boxes.

I haven't looked into Tv through the net in a while with a media box etc. I'm willing to bet there's much cheaper ways to get Triple play out there. I just haven't looked into it.
I don't know about cable cards etc. I've talked to the nicest people at Epb and they seem to be knowledgeable or will ask someone else if they don't know. 648-1372 and local. They have there own floor downtown.
LL
post #1933 of 2195 Old 01-24-2010, 06:28 AM

Quote:

Not to mention Comcast just screwed around with the big 3 today. NBCHD went to 3-2. Sage won't tune 3, 9, or 12 in HD. The LG TV picked up some of the changes already. Another reason Comcast stinks.

PC DVR users should check their channels if you have any recordings today. I haven't noticed any extended basic changes yet.

I assume they moved some channels QAM frequency since I did notice my Mythtv server was recording the NBC digital sub channel instead of the NBC HD. Comcast up to their stupid channel shuffling again. Do you know what other channels have been moved around?

Don
post #1934 of 2195 Old 01-24-2010, 05:14 PM

before the rescan, NBC, ABC, and CBS would not record. TV still picked up ABC and CBS in their old x-y position though. after the rescan those 3 are working. I didn't see anything different in the scan files other than the subchannel. they added history international and bio to the clear-QAM list. we'll see how long those stay up. beats me why CBS and ABC dropped off on the PVR.
post #1935 of 2195 Old 01-25-2010, 05:30 PM

looks like it was just the weekend. they went back to "normal" sometime this morning.
post #1936 of 2195 Old 01-26-2010, 07:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Argh! I hate this. I spent several hours this weekend redoing my guide with the new channel updates. Then I had to spend several hours again last night fixing it back.

By the way... can anyone tell me what QAM channel Fox Sports South is on now? I don't see it in the SiliconDust lineup as of this morning, and a manual scan with my HDHomerun doesn't show it anymore.

Also, does anyone get that Daystar channel? On my scans in the HDHomerun and Media Center, it shows as locked, but in the SiliconDust lineup webpage it shows a picture, which usually means it's in the clear.
post #1937 of 2195 Old 01-29-2010, 08:54 PM

Well we finally get a new episode of Smallville tonight and CW53 screws up yet again. I DVR'd the show and all I had was a full hour of test bars. I'm not sure at this point why I'm even surprised any more.
post #1938 of 2195 Old 01-29-2010, 09:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked: 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by smokey982 View Post

Well we finally get a new episode of Smallville tonight and CW53 screws up yet again. I DVR'd the show and all I had was a full hour of test bars. I'm not sure at this point why I'm even surprised any more.

Same thing on WDSI-Fox, the first 20 minutes or so of Dollhouse(the series Finale to boot ) had a blank screen and then test bars alternating every minute or so, then when Dollhouse finally started airing around the twenty minute mark it was in SD. What a crock.
post #1939 of 2195 Old 02-04-2010, 06:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Argh... Comcast encrypted ESPN and ESPN2. I can't watch the Tennessee basketball game through ClearQAM.
post #1940 of 2195 Old 02-06-2010, 08:57 AM

Check it again. It's working here. Or else they haven't flipped the switch on me yet.
post #1941 of 2195 Old 02-09-2010, 07:02 AM

Has anyone checked the music channels? They appear to be encrypted now. I don't get this why encrypt all these channels? What does it hurt to leave them in the clear? I hate the STB and I stayed with Comcast because they allowed the consumer the option of not having to have a box. Well, I'm starting to regret that choice because of the limits with internet service and now this box. It's bad enough the consumer has to chase down the new channel locations sometimes more than once a month. Now, we have to deal with encryption too? I bought a HDTV with HD tuner build in so, I could pick up channels in clear QAM. Thanks Comcast for making this feature on my HDTV useless.
post #1942 of 2195 Old 02-09-2010, 10:27 AM
AVS Special Member

I hear you Wulfer... and as of this morning, ESPN is still encrypted in the East Brainerd area. I think my wife tried one of the music channels this weekend, and got nothing... so you are probably right about the music channels being encrypted.
post #1943 of 2195 Old 02-09-2010, 10:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

They just got through running new line and attaching boxes.

I was paying $170 something total lowest for Comcast even with specials and still have a few for dvr, 0- HD channels, 3 rooms, 12Mb, modem and boxes.

I haven't looked into Tv through the net in a while with a media box etc. I'm willing to bet there's much cheaper ways to get Triple play out there. I just haven't looked into it.
I don't know about cable cards etc. I've talked to the nicest people at Epb and they seem to be knowledgeable or will ask someone else if they don't know. 648-1372 and local. They have there own floor downtown.

Hey Cynder,

Do you know if EPB offers their channels in ClearQAM? Do you have a TV with a digital tuner built in? If you hook the RG5/6 cable directly to the TV bypassing the STB, can you pickup any channels?
post #1944 of 2195 Old 02-11-2010, 05:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puwaha View Post

I hear you Wulfer... and as of this morning, ESPN is still encrypted in the East Brainerd area. I think my wife tried one of the music channels this weekend, and got nothing... so you are probably right about the music channels being encrypted.

Music is toast here too. I'm going to check the duplicate channels later and see if they're dark too. ESPN is still clear.
post #1945 of 2195 Old 02-14-2010, 09:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puwaha View Post

Hey Cynder,

Do you know if EPB offers their channels in ClearQAM? Do you have a TV with a digital tuner built in? If you hook the RG5/6 cable directly to the TV bypassing the STB, can you pickup any channels?

According to a little reading here my tv has a QAM tuner. It's a HP pl5000n. Panasonic 50PX500U branded HP.

No channels came in flipping through channels after bypassing STB.

I'm guessing scanning antenna is OTA ATSC and cable is QAM. I got nothing here either.
Sorry
post #1946 of 2195 Old 02-15-2010, 05:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Music is toast here too. I'm going to check the duplicate channels later and see if they're dark too. ESPN is still clear.

I found them! They are all in Channel 51.x They start around 51.5 (I think) and go up to 50.40 or so. It's odd, when I ran a scan in the HDHomerun software it never detected anything. And of course, Media Center never detected anything. I just got lucky on one and manually added them back in. Plus I found ESPN and ESPN2 again. The list at the SiliconDust site is very outdated from all the switching Comcast has done.
post #1947 of 2195 Old 02-17-2010, 06:08 PM

I've had those blocked out as duplicates for months now. the 62's were the first set I found when I got my first QAM tuner.
post #1948 of 2195 Old 02-18-2010, 04:22 PM

Has anyone else lost CW53 over the air? I was looking through the channels I get from my antenna and I can't get CW53, PBS, or TBN anymore. Does anyone know anything about this?
post #1949 of 2195 Old 03-04-2010, 07:13 PM

Anyone using an HVR-1800 having trouble with WDSI & CW(SD)? My timelines in Sage are getting messed up strangely. 4 of the recordings on that tuner in the last week have swapped over to the SD CW broadcast at about the 1hr mark when I skip through. If I just let it play I get the WDSI recording, but the timeline is skewed fast. Someone else mentioned an issue w/ the HDHR, but that tuner is working fine across the board.

If I skip forward (not FFW) the program changes to CW at about 1hr on the timeline. When I skip back after that point it's still playing the CW programming. How the heck did 2 channels get recorded to the same file and overlap in that manner?
post #1950 of 2195 Old 03-06-2010, 12:03 PM

Quote:

According to a little reading here my tv has a QAM tuner. It's a HP pl5000n. Panasonic 50PX500U branded HP.

No channels came in flipping through channels after bypassing STB.

I'm guessing scanning antenna is OTA ATSC and cable is QAM. I got nothing here either.
Sorry

Does your tv have an analog tuner? At the very minimum you should be picking up 2-78 in analog as this is a feature they advertise.

I really want to know if they support cable cards at all. I'm thinking hard about getting one of these quad tuners that are suppose to be coming out this month so I can get more hd channels then the local stuff.
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page