post #1981 of 2196 Old 05-04-2010, 05:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by HemiCuda70 View Post

Does this apply to EPB also or just Comcast? one could only hope since their 3 offerings from the quickstart guide don't seem to show one.

I'm pretty sure this only applies to Comcast. I did ask EPB on my phone call with them about firewire, and they don't offer boxes with them. I don't know if the FCC has any sway over EPB considering their delivery method (fiber). Hmmm... I think I need to check around to see if the Verizon Fiber service is under the FCC's thumb. If so, then EPB would have to provide Firewire enabled boxes.

But... I just came across this:

http://wdef.com/news/at_t_u_verse_to...anooga/04/2010

AT&T U-Verse to launch in Chattanooga

I thought I had seen their trucks rolling around recently with the fiber "loops" on the poles. They are launching "later this summer"... which should be awesome for us... that will be 3 big competitors and ways to finagle "promo prices" from them probably indefinitely!

AT&T uses MediaRoom which is purely IP-based television and is loosely based on Windows Media Center. I saw some neat functionality here earlier this year: http://www.engadget.com/2010/01/06/w...aroom-support/

So basically, your AT&T box will work as a tuner for Windows Media Center! Not to mention full on-demand support, etc. You do have to have AT&T's box, but because of the IP-based nature of U-Verse, that's understandable.

I'm excited again!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1982 of 2196 Old 05-04-2010, 08:11 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
lovely... twice thru the yard w/ a trencher. i just keep saying to myself "competition is a good thing.."
post #1983 of 2196 Old 05-05-2010, 09:12 AM

mixed reaction to an email response from EPB:

"Our expanded service is an analog service. Our digital services are IP based and are NOT compatible with QAM tuners. I am not aware of any plans to allow for HDD expansion through USB on our DVR."

OK, so my 4 analog tuners will be happy with it, but I'll have to put an antenna in the attic and move the HDHR to the livingroom (where I stupidly ran that drop) to get HD in Sage My 1800's digital will be left out to dry, but it has issues w/ the SageTV handlers anyway. Their HD box only has a 320GB drive. That'll fill up quick. I might look into an HDPVR for component capture and/or archiving, but the CFO might not agree with the $$$ + the extra box rental. At least I know what to expect from their service now. Their 4 room setup uses the existing coax to stream recorded video so I won't need to segregate my LAN for that traffic.

On the bright side, I could be saving around $20/mon over Comcast and getting 15mb sync broadband.
post #1984 of 2196 Old 05-06-2010, 09:18 AM

Again from EPB, RE: firewire...

Quote:

(a) The requirements of this section shall apply to digital cable systems. For purposes of this section, digital cable systems shall be defined as a cable system with one or more channels utilizing QAM modulation for transporting programs and services from its headend to receiving devices. Cable systems that only pass through 8 VSB broadcast signals shall not be considered digital cable systems

We are not a digital cable system.

so that's that. Guess it was too much to hope that their legal staff missed that one. If anyone else has questions the address I contacted was: FiSupport@epb.net

Looks like I'll be putting an antenna in the attic afterall. Could get interesting based on some of the posts on here about transmitters being unreliable.

Edit: Good news, the HD fee is for the whole account, not per box authorized.
post #1985 of 2196 Old 05-21-2010, 07:33 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 17
how is EPB HD quality? has anyone watched it on a large screen, at least 60" or a front projector?

looking to switch but i'm afraid they may do a low bit rate and be worse than directv.

- Chris
post #1986 of 2196 Old 05-23-2010, 07:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puwaha View Post

AT&T uses MediaRoom which is purely IP-based television and is loosely based on Windows Media Center. I saw some neat functionality here earlier this year: http://www.engadget.com/2010/01/06/w...aroom-support/

EPB also uses MediaRoom. And somebody at work the other day told me that they heard from a source at EPB that they would be able to soon do all the stuff you mentioned (which I totally didn't believe at the time).... so I'm assuming that they're going to be upgrading....
post #1987 of 2196 Old 05-25-2010, 02:25 AM

Since Comcast encrypting digitial starter.. I've been trying to figure out what I'm going to do with my MythTV system.

Does anyone know if you only have Comcast lifeline package if you can still receive QAM HD locals?

Is there anyone recording EPB analog channels with a computer PVR? If so, is the quality watchable on a big tv? I have a 46" LCD

Thanks,

Don

Don
post #1988 of 2196 Old 05-25-2010, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonInTn View Post

Since Comcast encrypting digitial starter.. I've been trying to figure out what I'm going to do with my MythTV system.

Does anyone know if you only have Comcast lifeline package if you can still receive QAM HD locals?

Yeah you can.

I was thinking of moving to ComCast digital (no EPB in my area) but I was looking at the cost of the boxes, outlets, HD, and DVR that my mom pays. It is like $8 for an outlet, $8 for HD, and $14 for DVR. That is $30 a month for one HD DVR box! That is just crazy.

How do they get away with charging that much?!

MAYBE I might make the move when they come out with some multi tuners that support 1 cable card but even then that probably means having to use Media Center and it really pales compared to my BeyondTV and XBMC setups...
post #1989 of 2196 Old 05-25-2010, 04:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 170 Post(s)
Liked: 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdBrew View Post

Yeah you can.

I was thinking of moving to ComCast digital (no EPB in my area) but I was looking at the cost of the boxes, outlets, HD, and DVR that my mom pays. It is like $8 for an outlet, $8 for HD, and $14 for DVR. That is $30 a month for one HD DVR box! That is just crazy.

How do they get away with charging that much?!

MAYBE I might make the move when they come out with some multi tuners that support 1 cable card but even then that probably means having to use Media Center and it really pales compared to my BeyondTV and XBMC setups...

You might want to check out the Moxi DVR, it has 3 tuners, uses a cable card, one way only, so no On-Demand. It is rather steep in price $600, but no charge for guide listings, and they have Moxi-Mates that when networked will allow you to watch whatever recordings you have from any room, etc... Another nice feature is that you can add an external E-Sata drive and increase the recording capacity an additional 6 TB. As far as I know you can only have one on the machine at a time, but I think you can unplug it and put another Esata in it's place(not sure about that, but almost sure you can).
post #1990 of 2196 Old 05-28-2010, 03:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonInTn View Post

As others have said, yes, you should still be able to get 2-13 no problem. In fact you should be able to get a few more channels. For how long? I don't know. But the "extra" channels aren't much to get excited about. Mostly the CSPANs and shopping networks.

A good place to check is SiliconDust's website (in support of their HDHomerun tuner)

http://www.silicondust.com/hdhomerun/channels_us

About the only thing that might be of interest is the WGNHD channel, outside of the normal broadcast channels. I'm going to run through a channel scan this weekend to see what's available and see how well the SiliconDust lineup matches what I get.

Quote:

Is there anyone recording EPB analog channels with a computer PVR? If so, is the quality watchable on a big tv? I have a 46" LCD

Don't know about this yet. I've *almost* gotten the household CFO convinced to switch internet from Comcast (or should I say Xfinity) to EPB and put up an antenna for standard broadcast. I'm curious to see what, if anything in the way of ClearQAM channels you would get with just a basic internet package like it used to be with Comcast.
post #1991 of 2196 Old 05-30-2010, 09:48 AM

Got a msg on the DVR this morning about a new feature where your recordings can be shared with your other STB's. EPB has the same feature. Who was it that said competition wasn't a good thing. I also noticed Xfinity is offering 100MB service, albeit asynchronous. They still don't get it.
post #1992 of 2196 Old 05-30-2010, 06:07 PM

Quote:

Got a msg on the DVR this morning about a new feature where your recordings can be shared with your other STB's. EPB has the same feature. Who was it that said competition wasn't a good thing. I also noticed Xfinity is offering 100MB service, albeit asynchronous. They still don't get it.

I had the same message on my DVR too, I called for details. Same price I am paying now, however I will need to swap my current DVR and extra STB for new ones, the csr told me the new DVR is smaller in size but has a larger hd, but still only 2 tuners and still a moto. You can watch a different or same recordings, pause, re-wind, fast forward on other stb's in home. You can only select shows to be recorded though on the DVR its self.
post #1993 of 2196 Old 05-31-2010, 06:41 AM

I wonder how they manage the remote viewing. IP over coax? and how will the signal fair through my electroline amp outside.
post #1994 of 2196 Old 05-31-2010, 10:44 AM

Quote:

I wonder how they manage the remote viewing. IP over coax? and how will the signal fair through my electroline amp outside.

I believe that is what they use, I asked the csr but I do not think she realy knew for sure.
post #1995 of 2196 Old 06-05-2010, 11:10 AM

Hi all,

I'm in Brainerd and am just setting up my OTA antenna. I get all channels really well except WTVC which I can barely pickup. I have an outside omni-directional and get about 60% signal strength on other channels such as WRCB which I believe is transmitted from almost the same place as WTVC.

The antenna states it can pick up VHF 174-216 and UHF 470-698. WTVC is on 186-192 so I don't know why I should be having any problems.

Any ideas or guidance?

Thanks!
post #1996 of 2196 Old 06-07-2010, 04:16 PM
AVS Special Member

What kind of antenna are you using?

I just built a Gray-Hoverman antenna this weekend, and I was surprised at how much signal I was able to pickup when the antenna was below the ground in my basement! Granted it was facing a window at ground level pointing towards the Signal Mountain towers... I got most of the channels. Channel 45 was too low powered to display a picture, so I'm thinking they have a pretty low output transmitter. I'm hoping to get it installed outside on a wall facing the towers to increase the signal strength (for 3, 9, and 12 are just at the level of cutout.)... and hopefully pickup channel 18 (my kids lover GPB's Sprout!)

I'll try to do it tonight... but I'm afraid my dear wife will make me cut the grass instead.
post #1997 of 2196 Old 06-09-2010, 10:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Update on antenna... this antenna works excellent. I just built a simple Gray-Hoverman antenna (pretty easy to build) and didn't use any reflectors. I tried to get the wife to let me install it on the side of the house, but hasn't let me do that yet. Which is probably a good thing. Channel 18 which is the GPB stations is coming from the complete opposite direction from the main Signal Mountain transmitters. I'd have to put the antenna on the roof or in the attic. I'm going to try the attic soon.

I didn't want the reflectors as that will essentially block any signal from the back of the antenna, and considering I'm trying to pull in that channel 18, I don't want to block any signal from the back of the antenna.

I currently have the antenna on the ground under my deck facing Signal Mountain... I'm getting most everything pretty good. I can't get 14 too well... though I'm not sure if that's all that necessary as it's WPXA the Ion channel. Otherwise, I am very impressed with this antenna!

http://www.tvfool.com is another website to get channel info from over-the-air broadcasts... and it gives you a lot more detail as to what you can expect.
post #1998 of 2196 Old 06-10-2010, 10:02 AM

hi im pretty new to the forums i have used them before when i was setting up my home theater, i have a couple of questions to ask to chattanooga residents that are in this forum and seem to be more reliable than customer service for some providers.

i recently built an htpc and would like to use it to record the world cup with it, i will be using epb's middle tier 51.99 package to watch it i would like to know.

1. is ti possible to do this with a windows 7 pc at all? can provide more specs if needed
2. if possible what tuner card would you suggest i use in the system to record the game
3. does epb provide hd for local channels i know that the top tier package is the only one that has the option for hd. I think i read that providers are required to offer hd for ota channels for free?
4. In chattanooga is it possible to record local ota HD channels and again if possible what addition to the htpc would you suggest, i would also like to be able to record one hd show and watch another if possible

please any help is appreciated I have looke and searched around but a lot of information regarding this topic is based in location and provider a lot of the time.
post #1999 of 2196 Old 06-10-2010, 11:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecuadorche View Post

1. is ti possible to do this with a windows 7 pc at all? can provide more specs if needed

Yes. But the exact hows we are still trying to figure out. Not very many of us here have EPB, so we can only go on speculation and what the Customer Service people tell us. I did notice that Media Center has the guide data for EPB, so that is the first step.

Quote:

2. if possible what tuner card would you suggest i use in the system to record the game

The easiest answer is an analog tuner will record the output from a set-top-box. Though for many reasons, this is not the ideal. For one, you will be capturing the output from the STB as NTSC (480i) through either Composite (yellow, red, white RCA jacks), or SVideo. It will work just fine, but there will be some quality degradation due to the digital->analog->digital translations. Just about any NTSC analog tuner card will work, and you can probably get them pretty cheap nowadays on Ebay. You'll need one tuner and one STB per channel that you want to record. Also, and HD channels will be downgraded to SD during this capture method.

STB's stink... most of us in the HTPC community hate them. Mostly because we are charged a fee for each STB we need, and the analog capture method isn't what most of us expect in the year 2010.

There is also the Hauppage HDPVR capture device. This external tuner will capture HD. It uses the Component outputs (Red, Green, Blue RCA jacks) from a STB and and has an optical input for audio capturing. This device uses the HD analog (through component video) hole to capture HD, and it records it as h.264/Mpeg4 video (which media center supports). There are supposed to be some native beta drivers for it coming out soon. But your best bet is to use the DVBLink software to get it working until then. The bad thing about the HDPVR is it's a little costly (depending on your perspective) at about $170-200 per tuner. And it has some lockup issues which I believe the DVBLink software accounts for (automatic timer to reboot it every so often.) And you still have to depend on a STB.

Now, the speculation comes in where we aren't sure about other capture methods. For instance, we know that EPB doesn't offer cable cards, so you can't use a Cable Card tuner. But we believe that they may have their standard tier open to be able to record via a ClearQAM tuner. We don't know if that means any of the local HD channels are available via ClearQAM, though. If HD locals were important to you, you could always use an ATSC tuner and an antenna to pick them up and use a ClearQAM tuner to get everything else.

Quote:

3. does epb provide hd for local channels i know that the top tier package is the only one that has the option for hd. I think i read that providers are required to offer hd for ota channels for free?

I can't answer this one yet, I'm still trying to convince the wife that we need to switch to EPB.

Quote:

4. In chattanooga is it possible to record local ota HD channels and again if possible what addition to the htpc would you suggest, i would also like to be able to record one hd show and watch another if possible

Very much so. Of course a lot of it depends on your location and your line-of-sight view of Signal Mountain. That is where the majority of the locals have their broadcast towers. All you would need is an ATSC tuner (either two single tuners, a dual-tuner card, or a device like the Silicon Dust HDHomerun) and an antenna of some sort. Media Center supports up to 4 tuners of any type (NTSC, ATSC, Cable Card, ClearQAM, etc.)

I very much recommend the HDHomerun device, it's an external dual tuner that supports ATSC and ClearQAM... and it is a networked device, which allows it to be used by multiple computers at the same time. Though, I think there are other cheaper dual tuner options out there.

The antenna is where I think most people run into problems for OTA/ATSC broadcasts. It really depends on your location, but some people are able to get away with rabbit ears and a loop... while others (like myself) have to resort to exotic configurations to get a good signal. My in-laws have a 150 foot hill in front of them but they were able to put a generic radio-shack antenna in a attic window that faces the towers and are quite pleased. I wasn't so lucky with that same antenna on the top of my house on a 20 foot pole! I built a simple Gray-Hoverman antenna, and I'm getting nearly full signals with it sitting on the ground! I'm still playing with the location... I'll probably put it in my attic so that I can pick up channel 18 (GPB-PBS station).
post #2000 of 2196 Old 06-10-2010, 11:38 AM

to puwaha you have answered a lot of my questions but still some stuff is left unclear.

1. while the most expensive epb package offers a stb the lower ones do not, why? i would like to know myself. My biggest questions is what type of connector does it use? a standard cable connector is my guess at the moment i have epb's internet offering and i have the box outside with some cables hanging from it i believe one of those is the coax cable needed. Biggest question is i have been looking at Hauppage's internal pci offerings and i am thinking will these devices work? Is the signal encrypted? is it just analog? they said i wont need a stb but since comcast encrypts their stuff,does epb do the same?

Puwaha and anyone else that can give me some advice, i would prefer the method of capture/recording and watching to be as compatible to windows 7 and internal and be able to record one thing and watch another preferably hd for both even if its with ota tv only
post #2001 of 2196 Old 06-10-2010, 05:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecuadorche View Post

1. while the most expensive epb package offers a stb the lower ones do not, why? i would like to know myself.

That is a good question... but it answers a lot. If they don't require a STB on the lower tiers then they push the channels in via ClearQAM or Analog. My guess would be ClearQAM... the reason being because of the digital-transition that forced everyone to get a digital tuner. And QAM encoding takes up a lot less bandwidth than analog. Cable companies offer a DTA (a sort of dumb STB) for older TVs that don't have a digital tuner. It might be that EPB does something similar?

That might be something you ask a customer service rep... tell them you have a couple of old Analog TVs in your house, do they require a STB, or a DTA-like device? If the answer is no to both... then they are piping in analog and probably doing the conversion outside your house in the smart-box. If they offer a DTA-like device, then it's ClearQAM.

ClearQAM is the better choice for Media Center users, as there are plenty of tuner options out there for us.

Quote:

My biggest questions is what type of connector does it use?

Coax cable. If you have existing coax wiring in your house, it usually terminates to a cable box on the outside of your house. They would connect the existing coax that comes from your house to their smart box.

Quote:

Biggest question is i have been looking at Hauppage's internal pci offerings and i am thinking will these devices work? Is the signal encrypted? is it just analog? they said i wont need a stb but since comcast encrypts their stuff,does epb do the same?

From what a customer service rep told me, they do not encrypt their standard tier... the equivilent of "basic cable"... the 2-90-something channels on cable. Since they don't require a STB, it could mean that it's either ClearQAM or analog. I really hope it's not analog, but I could work with it.

As for what type of card... to be safe, I'd get one that does NTSC/ATSC/ClearQAM if you could. That way you'd be covered.

Quote:

Puwaha and anyone else that can give me some advice, i would prefer the method of capture/recording and watching to be as compatible to windows 7 and internal and be able to record one thing and watch another preferably hd for both even if its with ota tv only

These are pretty popular internal cards... it's a PCI-Express card though: Avermedia Duet
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16815100041

And at only $55 for a dual tuner ATSC/ClearQAM card... that's pretty good. I don't think it does analog though.

The Hauppauge WinTV-HVR-2250 does all 3 standards and seems to be a popular choice.
post #2002 of 2196 Old 06-10-2010, 05:17 PM
AVS Special Member

By the way... for those interested, the Hauppauge HDPVR has had it's direct MediaCenter drivers released (means you don't have to use DVBLink anymore)

http://thedigitallifestyle.com/cs/TD...ia-center.aspx
post #2003 of 2196 Old 06-11-2010, 08:53 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked: 66
Send a message via AIM to Trip in VA Send a message via Yahoo to Trip in VA
Is there anyone in the market who receives either WKSY-LD or WYHB-LD over the air and can tell me what either or both stations have on their respective subchannels?

Thanks.

- Trip

N4MJC

Comments are my own and not that of the FCC (my employer) or anyone else.

RabbitEars

"Ignorance and prejudice and fear walk hand in hand..." - Rush "Witch Hunt"

post #2004 of 2196 Old 06-12-2010, 02:06 PM

"Guys" read up above your recent posts. I copied several emails I got from EPB customer support about their service (post 1984 was the last). I can say for 80% certainty at this point that you will need an HDPVR to get any sort of HD from their service on your PC. They broadcast their version of 2-78 via analog if you get their mid-tier service. They absolutely do not transmit any QAM. Their system is IP-based. Since they do not use QAM the FCC firewire ruling does not apply to them.
post #2005 of 2196 Old 06-27-2010, 06:32 PM

I have Charter in Whitfield County and I am now receiving a bunch of new HD channels. TNT, Comedy Central, FX, Si Fy and more. I didn't know if that was also the case in Catoosa, Murray or Bradley Counties but I thought I would see.
post #2006 of 2196 Old 07-06-2010, 07:07 AM

Is anyone in the Catoosa county area able to pickup 9-1 in clear QAM? I think Comcast has done something. I can't get the following channels anymore.

WFLI - 53-2 (clear - signal breakup)
WDSI - 61-1 (clear - signal breakup)
ABC - 9-1 (is gone)

Any ideas guys?
post #2007 of 2196 Old 07-06-2010, 04:56 PM

9-1 was gone on Chattanooga Comcast on my QAM TV this morning. I've seen it happen in the early AM. I just checked it on SageTV via HDHomerun and it's working now.
post #2008 of 2196 Old 07-08-2010, 05:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WULFER View Post

Is anyone in the Catoosa county area able to pickup 9-1 in clear QAM? I think Comcast has done something. I can't get the following channels anymore.

WFLI - 53-2 (clear - signal breakup)
WDSI - 61-1 (clear - signal breakup)
ABC - 9-1 (is gone)

Any ideas guys?

Update for those that want to know. Comcast cut my cable Wednesday without telling me so, pulled out my old HD antenna. I learned two things from the Comcast cut.

1. I'll still have some cable through my HD tuner HDTV if I decide to cut cable.
2. My HD antenna works great with all the stations I was having trouble.

53-2 clear as a bell
61-1 clear as a bell
9-1 is still gone but, here's the interesting part. 9-1 has become 1-4 with the HD antenna connected and turned on.

1-4 is clear as a bell but, if I turn off the antenna 1-4 is gone (weak signal).

I can deal with this change and i got my 3 channels back. Thanks Comcast for shutting off my service without telling me. I did restart the service but, that $54 is starting to become more trouble than it's worth.
post #2009 of 2196 Old 07-09-2010, 08:37 AM

My friend got EPB, plus I called them. Their lower tier is analog, no HD.

The STB's are cheaper. You can get a DVR for $10 (or $3 if you get it with the basic digital package) which can feed 4 other STB which are $6.99 (I think that was the price) each and can do HD. But I've been told that is limit for STB you can have in a house for technical reasons. Also they mentioned something about the cable runs not having splitters or it wouldn't work. I'm assuming with the DVR.

The STB's talk over cable but the internet is over RJ45 run from a box outside the house. If you need cable run to the rooms it is $30 a piece but the run for internet if free.

I also asked about getting EPB in Ooltewah and it didn't sound promising.
post #2010 of 2196 Old 07-15-2010, 06:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WULFER View Post

Update for those that want to know. Comcast cut my cable Wednesday without telling me so, pulled out my old HD antenna. I learned two things from the Comcast cut.

1. I'll still have some cable through my HD tuner HDTV if I decide to cut cable.
2. My HD antenna works great with all the stations I was having trouble.

53-2 clear as a bell
61-1 clear as a bell
9-1 is still gone but, here's the interesting part. 9-1 has become 1-4 with the HD antenna connected and turned on.

1-4 is clear as a bell but, if I turn off the antenna 1-4 is gone (weak signal).

I can deal with this change and i got my 3 channels back. Thanks Comcast for shutting off my service without telling me. I did restart the service but, that $54 is starting to become more trouble than it's worth.

Update:

1-4 is gone and 9-1 is back, very odd.
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page