Chattanooga, TN - HDTV - Page 68 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #2011 of 2195 Old 07-18-2010, 05:57 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
EPBFI, my experience.

Install was smooth but my home is already wired w/cat5 and rg6 quad shield. I asked the installer and if your home is not wired with rg6 to your STB locations and cat5 to one location for internet the install would not cost anything. I would think rg59 would be ok to any tv that does not have a STB because the ONT (box on side of house) has two types of tv output. One for STB and one for tv that does not have STB. No limit on # of non STB tvs. One thing about their material, if you have rg6 quad shield have connectors for them because they dont have them. If you (or someone else) installed a good quality crimp on connector at the outlets in your home then they will use what you have, if you use the twist on type or any other inferior type termination they will put their own quality connector on it.

To verify other posts-yes its analog only coming to tvs without STB. Analog signal is nice and clear with no hiccups to my 4 non STB tvs in the house. The STB locations are a clear, steady signal. HD seems MUCH LESS compressed compared to my previous provider-comcast. The OS in the STB is a "more refined" experience-best way I know to explain it. It's not that it is THAT much better than comcast's, it's just "grown up" and pleasing to the eye.

The internet is TONS better. My ping times are great- 30ish ms to Washington state from East Brainerd. Comcast was in the 80-90 ms. I have two kids on two xbox360 consoles and no lagging experienced yet-could be that they are now hosts more often than not. I downloaded a 6GB movie file and was finished in 30 minutes while they were each on xboxlive and still no lag. I got the 15/15 internet service and consistently get better than that download. Upload consistently on the 15 I pay for, very pleased.

Overall I am very happy to have made the switch and am saving $60 a month and have everthing I had with comcast. The main reason for this is Comcast becoming a STB rental company and their outragous prices for STB and HD service and DVR service-all cost extra. EPB one time HD charge per month, DVR one time charge per month, other tvs without STB channel 2-78 NO CHARGE! 60 bucks per month is 60 bucks per month!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2012 of 2195 Old 07-18-2010, 06:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcvolfan View Post

Overall I am very happy to have made the switch and am saving $60 a month and have everthing I had with comcast. The main reason for this is Comcast becoming a STB rental company and their outragous prices for STB and HD service and DVR service-all cost extra. EPB one time HD charge per month, DVR one time charge per month, other tvs without STB channel 2-78 NO CHARGE! 60 bucks per month is 60 bucks per month!

Thats my thought also. I can't get EPB, but when I've heard people talk about EPB, the first thing they say is that they aren't cheaper. BUT EPB is cheaper because you can't see all those Comcast hidden costs. I can't believe how many people are willing to pay those STB fees. But I guess a lot of them don't have many options (like me). I refuse to give Comcast any more than I am now (Internet and basic analog cable). I would love to switch my Internet to EPB.
post #2013 of 2195 Old 07-19-2010, 01:12 PM

yeah, comcast- DVR $10, HD $5. So for one tv with HD and DVR is an additional $15 PER TV! Each standard digital STB is $7 per tv. They say they give you 2 little analog converters and 1 standard digital box with a digital package, What if I have more than three tvs? I must pay more. That how it became cheaper. I must be honest that I did drop HBO and Encore off my EPB package, so I don't have EVERYTHING I had at comcast but we never watched anything on those that I can't get streaming from netflix anyway so it is the same for ME. One thing that burns me up is the deals new comcast subscribers get.
post #2014 of 2195 Old 07-19-2010, 08:58 PM

True, but just like a cell phone they're locked in for ~2yrs with early termination fees.
post #2015 of 2195 Old 07-20-2010, 01:08 PM

I don't think comcast has any contracts, do they? I have never heard of any. If they can offer these great deals to people that haven't given them a dime, then they can throw a bone to their long time customers as well. Anyway their monopoly is over and people will start seeing what comcast is all about. Chattanooga has AT&T uverse coming also. Bottom line, competition is good for all customers.
post #2016 of 2195 Old 07-20-2010, 08:55 PM

you could be correct, but I think I remember hearing legal-speak on a radio spot about early termination. Maybe it was a cell commercial instead.

Monopoly.... bad
Competition... mmmm goood
post #2017 of 2195 Old 08-03-2010, 07:06 PM

I know this is off the subject, but I just moved from Nashville to Chattanooga and I was wondering what channel does the preseason Titans games come on (if they come on here in Chattanooga)?
post #2018 of 2195 Old 08-09-2010, 06:54 PM

What the crap happened to ABC-HD tonight? Bachelor Pad went Tango Uniform about 2min in. DVR and QAM HD were still in the tank 45min later. SD is showing ok. Guess the wife will have to catch the beginning online tomorrow.
post #2019 of 2195 Old 08-26-2010, 07:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HemiCuda70 View Post

What the crap happened to ABC-HD tonight? Bachelor Pad went Tango Uniform about 2min in. DVR and QAM HD were still in the tank 45min later. SD is showing ok. Guess the wife will have to catch the beginning online tomorrow.

Bachelor Pad went tits up? Is that news?
post #2020 of 2195 Old 08-26-2010, 04:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 30
Anyone out there with EPB internet service... are you able to get ESPN3... the streaming service on it?
post #2021 of 2195 Old 08-28-2010, 05:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Loblaw View Post

Bachelor Pad went tits up? Is that news?

Not so much the show, but the channel. My TV has issues with it quite often when the networked tuner works just fine.
post #2022 of 2195 Old 08-31-2010, 08:36 AM

Liked: 11
I live just inside of Collegedale (near Homewood subdivision if that helps), and was wondering if anyone's signed up with EPB near there as of today? Pike electric (EPB's contractors) has been running/installing cables up and down the street in the last couple weeks.

I called EPB after seeing the Pike trucks and they said its usually a month or so after 'seeing the trucks' that they put out the door tags offering up the service. Just curious if anyone in Collegedale's gotten the tags yet and signed up?
post #2023 of 2195 Old 08-31-2010, 08:40 PM

I'm not near you, but the trucks went by 3-4mon ago. There are a handful of yard signs out down the next street. The fun part is that where I am all the utilities are underground. No telling when they'll get around to ripping up yards to install. Gives me more time to formulate a gameplan for my SageTV server. Firewire is not an option since EPB is not a QAM provider. HD locals via ATSC and HD premium via HDPVR it would seem. 2-78 has a better mix than comcast and my 4 analog tuners will like that. At least my HDHomerun and HVR1800 won't go to complete waste.

The cool thing would be if there was an IPTV tuner adapter for PCs that didn't cost a fortune or have too much DRM chaining it down.
post #2024 of 2195 Old 09-01-2010, 06:56 AM

Our utilities are underground as well, but Pike Electric was out running new wire to all the boxes up and down our street. Not sure how much digging they'll actually have to do before its up and ready.
post #2025 of 2195 Old 09-02-2010, 05:24 AM

I hold no illusions that EPB planned ahead in this little sub and actually has the hardware in place already or left access space when they originally trenched.
post #2026 of 2195 Old 09-08-2010, 03:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puwaha View Post

Anyone out there with EPB internet service... are you able to get ESPN3... the streaming service on it?

To answer my own question... yes EPB is an official partner (as is Comcast) with ESPN... so if you don't get ESPN, ESPN2, etc... you can still get access to most football games (and sports programming in general) through the ESPN3 website.

Those of us with an HTPC... you know what to do.

Even if you are in a blackout zone, you can get some free VPN software like HotSpot Shield to get around that.

I was able to watch the Tennessee vs. UT-Martin game this past weekend, despite it being blacked out and on pay-per-view.
post #2027 of 2195 Old 09-21-2010, 07:34 PM

I was able to pick up the digital WYHB-DT signal tonight. It is 39-1 with no sub-channels. I don't know if there is going to be any other sub-channels created in the future. It think it is mainly sports. They are playing a rugby game right now.
post #2028 of 2195 Old 10-03-2010, 01:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 50
I'm getting something strange on my Comcast Clear QAM Fox channel, the display says it's in 720P, but the FB games and everything I checked yesterday from the actual Fox feed(the MLB game) is letterboxed(postage stamp, black on all 4 sides) and looks like crap on the TV.

Anyone getting WDSI-HD ok in clear QAM. I'm on the Athens:Etowah comcast, haven't been watching any QAM lately, just wondering if anyone else is having this problem?
post #2029 of 2195 Old 10-08-2010, 01:42 PM

I was finally able to sign up for EPB's fiber optic service here in Collegedale, and they're coming out in a couple weeks to install everything. Quick question regarding wireless routers.... I currently use a Netgear wireless-G router. I have a Vizio LCD-TV (built-in wirless-N) with the Netflix App built in. The wireless-G router seems to do a decent job of streaming video to the Vizio when using the Netflix App. I'm wondering if I would notice a huge difference (picture quality, speed) if I were to upgrade to a wireless-N router. Like I said, the wirless-G does an okay job. Not sure if its worth the $$ to upgrade to wireless-N. I was looking around at wirless-N routers, and the best reviews go to the Netgear WNDR3700, naturally, the most expensive, at $149. Sorry to ramble... Thanks for anyone's tips, advice, etc. (I realize wireless-N is faster than -G when file sharing from pc to laptop; video streaming is my main concern here.)
post #2030 of 2195 Old 10-08-2010, 04:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by frogwater View Post

I was finally able to sign up for EPB's fiber optic service here in Collegedale, and they're coming out in a couple weeks to install everything. Quick question regarding wireless routers.... I currently use a Netgear wireless-G router. I have a Vizio LCD-TV (built-in wirless-N) with the Netflix App built in. The wireless-G router seems to do a decent job of streaming video to the Vizio when using the Netflix App. I'm wondering if I would notice a huge difference (picture quality, speed) if I were to upgrade to a wireless-N router. Like I said, the wirless-G does an okay job. Not sure if its worth the $$ to upgrade to wireless-N. I was looking around at wirless-N routers, and the best reviews go to the Netgear WNDR3700, naturally, the most expensive, at $149. Sorry to ramble... Thanks for anyone's tips, advice, etc. (I realize wireless-N is faster than -G when file sharing from pc to laptop; video streaming is my main concern here.)

I just got my 30Mb/s EPB service installed on Tuesday. It's pretty fast. As for streaming Netflix, I was able to stream a HD movie through wireless on my laptop and I only have a cheap no-name 802.11g router. I think the issue you need to worry about is a good clear signal to your TV.

I think you will be fine with what you have. Try it and if it doesn't appear to be working well, then you can upgrade.

By the way, EPB's speed is fantastic. You can open a youtube webpage and it instantly starts streaming. I always had to buffer for a few seconds or more on Comcast.

ESPN3 always gets the highest bandwidth too!

Now, to see if I can get analog TV service out of that ONT. (I doubt it... there is an LED inside the ONT that indicates what services you have subscribed to... but I'm hoping that Analog service is still available.)
post #2031 of 2195 Old 10-09-2010, 05:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puwaha View Post

By the way, EPB's speed is fantastic. You can open a youtube webpage and it instantly starts streaming. I always had to buffer for a few seconds or more on Comcast.

Now, to see if I can get analog TV service out of that ONT. (I doubt it... there is an LED inside the ONT that indicates what services you have subscribed to... but I'm hoping that Analog service is still available.)

Depends on the TV tier you ordered. I just looked and it appears the Expanded gets 2-78 which I've seen them advertise as clear analog.

I finally broke down and hooked up a DTA to 1 of my SageTV tuners. Just so I could record Holmes on Homes. Stupid, crippled comcast box is filling up with episodes and capDVHS takes too long to transfer the shows. Next fun thing is to get a usb-uirt and a patch cable so I can tune different channels. I remember reading where someone made a direct port-to-port patch cable for those things.

Wish EPB would get this street hooked up. I'm about to the point where I don't care if they rip the yard up or not. Summer hasn't been kind to it anyway.
post #2032 of 2195 Old 10-13-2010, 07:38 AM

Dish Network recently pulled many of their regional Fox Sports channels along with FX, Nat GEO, etc. Last July, they pulled several Disney HD channels too. Enough is enough! I researched the HD lineups from Comcast, EPB, Dish and DirecTV and thought it might be helpful to others who are shopping around. Enjoy!

(see attachment)

Chattanooga HD Channel Comparrison.doc 115k . file
post #2033 of 2195 Old 10-13-2010, 07:45 AM

Very helpful comparison! Thanks for doing the work!
post #2034 of 2195 Old 10-14-2010, 06:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by srrobinson2 View Post

Dish Network recently pulled many of their regional Fox Sports channels along with FX, Nat GEO, etc. Last July, they pulled several Disney HD channels too. Enough is enough! I researched the HD lineups from Comcast, EPB, Dish and DirecTV and thought it might be helpful to others who are shopping around. Enjoy!

Thanks for doing the footwork on the lineups. Nice to see it laid out in 1 place. One thing though, Does the price listed for the 3 you compared to EPB include a DVR box? I know Comcast charges about $15/mon for their HDDVR. Plus an outlet fee of about $7/mon/box if you have more than 1 digital box. Comcast also charges a per box fee for HD. EPB charges an HD fee ($4-5 I think) per account that covers all the boxes in the house and no per outlet fees. The downside is that their current tech only allows for 4 digital boxes. However, 2-78 is available for any analog TV you hook up to their ONT. Try that with Comcast or Satellite. Sorry for the rant, but I wanted to point out a few things to counter EPBfi being the highest $$ of the 4 in that table.

The trucks are on my street running the fiber this week. I plan on switching ASAP.

1) I'll save about $20/mon on service fees.
2) Internet is 30mb sync where Comcast is about 8mb/256kb.
3) I used to get extended basic in clear-QAM from Comcast. When they turned on the cypher in the DTA's I lost down to 2-13 + local HD. Principle of the thing.
4) 2-78 is sans-STB and has a better lineup than Comcast.

I'll have to go OTA to get HD on my digital tuners, but I prewired for that when the house was built. An HDPVR is being considered to grab 'premium' content from EPB.

One last complaint and I think it holds for all the content providers.... Why can I not connect an external drive to the DVR to supplement the drastically undersized drive they all come with?!?!?! HD takes a lot of space and sometimes it's hard not to get loaded up on unwatched shows.
post #2035 of 2195 Old 10-14-2010, 08:30 AM

what size is the hard drive on EPB's DVR? also, what brand is EPB's DVR? would be nice to find an online user manual somewhere. thanks in advance to anyone that can show me where to download one.

i found an online manual for comcast's motorola DVR,which helped me out when i first got it.

EDIT: Just found a user guide for the DVR:
http://epbfi.com/media/ext/uploaded/...uick_Start.pdf
post #2036 of 2195 Old 10-16-2010, 02:55 AM

Found THIS LINK to be interesting. Might try it myself if the need arises.

Also, an ATT setup manual with a little more info on the unit.
post #2037 of 2195 Old 10-21-2010, 04:49 PM

OK, from the horse's mouth at EPB. Their DVR is the 160GB model.

You need to have RG6 installed for their IPTV protocols to function properly (hope my prewire is; I only know 2 drops for certain). The ONT has 4 POT ports, 2 ethernet ports, and 1 F connector for TV. All the drops to TVs with STB's must be 'home run' pulls. 1 ethernet is used for the new 'smart' meter you'll get when they mount the ONT. The other is for your router/firewall hardware. Their POT interface is supposed to work with most devices around including fax and alarm. Installation fees are waived if you sign a contract.

Port 25 IS blocked so no Qmail/Sendmail servers or such. He said that's the only 1 though. Business accounts get the benefit of web/email hosting through EPB however.

The 'smart' meter will post power data to a website so you can keep track of your daily (shorter intervals from another source) usage.
post #2038 of 2195 Old 10-21-2010, 05:04 PM

EPB came out and did the install yesterday. Took close to 3 hrs since they had to route the ethernet cable clear across to the other side of my house, in the basement, where my router is. Went perfectly smooth, and I'm now 30 up/down internet, and i LOVE the DVR and add'l set-top box which can access the DVR and play anything I've got recorded. The DVR is a Cisco, Model# CIS430, and according to the spec sheet I just found, it can be equipped with a hard drive anywhere from 80gb to 320gb:
http://www.homepna.org/products/memb..._datasheet.pdf
The installer did say he had to disable the ethernet port on the back, b/c people found out they could use it to pull 30.
post #2039 of 2195 Old 11-10-2010, 05:06 PM

Can anyone provide pictures of the equipment that EPB installs? I have seen photos of the STB but I've been looking for pictures of the interior of the ONT (Optical Network Terminal) but have not found any.
post #2040 of 2195 Old 11-12-2010, 09:50 AM

At the end of next week, maybe. We're getting service at the office installed Friday. ONT is already mounted.
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page