Chattanooga, TN - HDTV - Page 7 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #181 of 2195 Old 08-10-2005, 10:02 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
After a couple hours of fiddling with the TV I got the HD signals for channels 3,9,12 but not FOX61
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 2195 Old 08-10-2005, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johndl123 View Post

After a couple hours of fiddling with the TV I got the HD signals for channels 3,9,12 but not FOX61

You can stop fiddling there is no FOX HD. You should also get Ch. 53 and PBS
post #183 of 2195 Old 08-10-2005, 04:49 PM

Hello All,

I live in Jasper, TN and just got a new HDTV this past week and have hooked it up to my normal TV antenna I have in the attic (the biggest one that Radioshack has). I can get 3.1, 42.1 & 42.2. I was wondering what antenna you guys would recommend me getting so that I could get WTVC, WDEF, WTCI and WDSI in HD also. Any ideas?

Just a little info here for you also...I'm getting WFLI-DT at 85%-90% but can not get the regular WFLI signal on channel 53 at all.
post #184 of 2195 Old 08-10-2005, 04:49 PM

Right! WUTC 45 HD. I get 53 but its snowey no digital signal. Thats out of Crossville isn't it? Didn't I read a few pages back that August 1'st FOX goes "on" ?
post #185 of 2195 Old 08-10-2005, 05:19 PM

is now broadcasting in HD thus making FOX 61 the lamest last channel in Chattanooga to go HD.
post #186 of 2195 Old 08-10-2005, 07:10 PM

53's digital signal is coming from Signal Mtn (on Fox61's tower no less!). Their analog signal is broadcast out of Cohutta, GA.

And yes, FOX 61 is the lamest channel around, there's no doubt about it.

ki4cgs, look into something like the channelmaster 4228, it performs very well. Also it would help if it was outside.
post #187 of 2195 Old 08-11-2005, 11:00 AM

Fox General mgr. told me in an e-mail; that they will sign on in late august. If you can belive that
post #188 of 2195 Old 08-16-2005, 09:34 AM

Any Comcast customers out there? I've stuck with them in hopes of them passing along the ABC affiliate's DTV/HD channel but no luck as of yet with no real hope anytime soon. I've been in touch with the guy in charge of Comcast's HD STB distribution and he's fairly knowledgable. He said negotiations have been stuck with no movement for some time now.

So is it worth investigating D*/antenna for HD locals? It's convenient for me to run with Comcast especially since I have cable internet. I'm just a bit torn on what to do if anything at all.

GEAUX LSU Tigers!!!!
post #189 of 2195 Old 08-16-2005, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmessin View Post

Any Comcast customers out there? I've stuck with them in hopes of them passing along the ABC affiliate's DTV/HD channel but no luck as of yet with no real hope anytime soon. I've been in touch with the guy in charge of Comcast's HD STB distribution and he's fairly knowledgable. He said negotiations have been stuck with no movement for some time now.

So is it worth investigating D*/antenna for HD locals? It's convenient for me to run with Comcast especially since I have cable internet. I'm just a bit torn on what to do if anything at all.

Depends on how close you are to Signal Mt. (where all locals have their antenna's)
I get all Digital and HD just fine with a $3.00 anntenna from Big Lots
post #190 of 2195 Old 08-16-2005, 10:22 AM

I'm looking to get into OTA HDTV reception, but was waiting for a 5th generation set-top box. Is anyone ever going to make one? Is it even worth the wait? My concern is that I have a ridge (Big Ridge) between my house and Signal Mtn. and I'm wanting the best box available. What kind of reception should I expect from, say a Samsung T-451 from my location? Any suggestions??
post #191 of 2195 Old 08-16-2005, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esaletnik View Post

Depends on how close you are to Signal Mt. (where all locals have their antenna's)
I get all Digital and HD just fine with a $3.00 anntenna from Big Lots

Well i'm in the Ooltewah area right behind Hunter Middle school. Any thoughts?

GEAUX LSU Tigers!!!!
post #192 of 2195 Old 08-16-2005, 04:18 PM

Quote:

Well i'm in the Ooltewah area right behind Hunter Middle school. Any thoughts?

I live off snow hill and get everything except FOX with a Silver Sensor (indoor antenna) in my Attic. Best Buy still sells them but they are from Terk now.

I don't have any hills or trees in the way through. That will probably determine how hard it is to get reception. I think we are only around 15 miles away from the transmitters (except FOX right now).
post #193 of 2195 Old 08-16-2005, 07:45 PM

I spoke with management at WTVC a while back.
It's really all about money - and you can bet they'll work things out before the Super Bowl. In fact - I'd predict they'll work things out before the November sweeps (ratings period).

Written complaints to both parties might help as they will pass them up the line.

I broke down and got the Comcast HD-PVR ($9.95 per month). The INHD channels do carry some cool stuff...and being able to record HD is what I've wanted all along.

I also have a cheap indoor Radio Shack UHF antenna hooked up to an LG-4200A for off-air signals - so I can get ABC (WTVC) just fine...and things like WDEF's 12-2 weather radar channel (comcast doesn't pass this along).

The bottom line - try a cheap UHF antenna first.
Unfortunately, if you live too deeply in a hole or out of "line of sight" of the towers, you'll probably have to go with Comcast for now.
post #194 of 2195 Old 08-17-2005, 05:41 AM

This is likely a stupid question but I'll ask it anyway.

Is there any chance that I can get basic cable from comcast, and connect the regular COAX cable to a Samsung SIRT451 and get the local HD channels plus ESPN HD?

GEAUX LSU Tigers!!!!
post #195 of 2195 Old 08-17-2005, 12:13 PM

From the comcast.com website:
"Basic service subscription is required to receive HDTV and premium HDTV channel requires subscription to underlying premium channel. "

So YES, you can connect your coax (split it) to a QAM capable HD Tuner and get WRCB, WDEF, WTCI, ESPN, and sometimes other stuff comes in. When WTVC and Comcast stop fighting - we'll get that too : )

But, premium channels require their box ($5.00 per mo.) or the PVR ($9.95) and the add on fee for that service (like the HBO package gets you one measly HD channel).

Their HD package gets you access to INHD, INHD2, TNTHD, and a couple of others I can't remember right now...
post #196 of 2195 Old 08-19-2005, 10:47 AM

Quote:

This is likely a stupid question but I'll ask it anyway.

Is there any chance that I can get basic cable from comcast, and connect the regular COAX cable to a Samsung SIRT451 and get the local HD channels plus ESPN HD?

"Supposedly" any public affil. HD channels such as ABC,NBC,CBS (assuming comcast carries them) should be "in the clear". which means as long as you have comcast subscription of some sort, you could hook up your coax to a unencrypted QAM tuner and get those channels. However the ESPNs,INHDs, and other premium channels are encrypted and either require their STB or a card from comcast (as supposedly mandated by the FCC) that would allow you to decrypt those channels on a STB of your choice. I use the word supposedly because FCC also mandated that cable companies are required to supply firewire outputs on their STB yet the comcast in chattanooga has refused. I have since then found out that FCC does not enforce their mandates.... someone else does..... so it is tough to get anything done about it. So.... if I were gonna do it right..... I would call comcast and make sure they offer the smartCard cable cards... and then I would buy a nice QAM tuner( that is capable of accepting the cards to decrypt the premium channels), and contains a OTA tuner that will allow you to pick up the OTA channels such as ABC that comcast doesnt carry. That way you are assured about as much HD content as you get. I have a similar situation. I am using dish at the moment and my HD reciever also has an OTA tuner in it. So I get premium HD channels from my dish subscription as well as all my local HD channels via an antenna. Hope this helps..... good luck with comcast.
post #197 of 2195 Old 09-02-2005, 01:52 PM

Just got this e-mail from FOX61 It seems as though we a constantly being lied to.

Mr. XXXX, my Chief Engineer, Patrick Motley, is investigating your request. He will be contacting you shortly with an answer to your request. We are working to complete our digital build out and should be operational within a week. While there are no immediate plans for HD, the new digital signal will be a marked improvement over the current analog signal.

Tracye McCarthy
post #198 of 2195 Old 09-03-2005, 07:22 PM

If you get a reply from Patrick motely you will be one of the first. When Lee carpenter was the acting eng. he would reply very quickly. He told me way back in june that it would be HD right out of the box, so much for that. They keep telling me that they are awaitng for eqpt. from up north what ever the heck that means. If they get it goin in 2005 it will be a wonder to me. I guess if this was all we had to worry about it would be very small compared to the folks in the gulf coast area. Every body say a prayer for them.
post #199 of 2195 Old 09-06-2005, 02:33 PM

I'm working with a makeshift HTPC and have the MyHD 130 tuner card hooked up to the Terk version of the silver sensor sitting high on top of my entertainment center.

So far all I get is the WTCI PBS digital stations. Nothing else is coming through.

I also connected my Comcast cable to it and so far all I get (beyond the analog channels) is NBC HD and PBS HD channels. No CBS even though they offer CBS. uggghhh....this is no fun.

if any suggestions...I'm all ears.

GEAUX LSU Tigers!!!!
post #200 of 2195 Old 09-07-2005, 03:50 AM

Ok...another update....I was able to get CBS, NBC, PBS and ESPN through the cable connection on my HTPC tuner card which is all I expected to get.

Still I'm only able to pick up PBS OTA unfortunately. Would another antenna be a good idea at this point?

GEAUX LSU Tigers!!!!
post #201 of 2195 Old 09-07-2005, 05:44 AM

Yes I would definately try another antenna, preferrably not a Terk. What part of town are you in?
post #202 of 2195 Old 09-07-2005, 07:26 AM

Talked to a very reliable source about FOX 61 sending out digital signal that all could get and he said no time soon. Says finances are a great problem and said our wait could be indefinite. I have e-mailed everyone on the stations website inquireing about this on numerous occasions with NO reply from anyone.
post #203 of 2195 Old 09-07-2005, 08:08 AM

Hey guys,
I'm new to the Chatt area (live in the Belleau Woods subdivision off of Morris Hill Road close to the mall). Anyway, I just got a 1080p HDTV last weekend (Samsung HL-R5668). Absolutely love it (especially the deal I got on it at Brandsmart in Atlanta). I have some questions about getting HD programming with Directv which is what I got. The technician will be installing my triple LNB dish this weekend, and I need to know what HD receiver I should buy (I'm assuming the standard HD receiver out of a best buy, tweeter, etc is fine). Also, what about receiving local channels in HD with Directv??? Do I need an OTA antenna to get the local programming ? If so, which one? Just need to know what I gotta do since my NFL Sunday Ticket starts this weekend, and I wanna be READY TO ROLL for that in addition to being able to watch local programming in HD.
post #204 of 2195 Old 09-07-2005, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maharg18 View Post

Yes I would definately try another antenna, preferrably not a Terk. What part of town are you in?

ok...I'll try another antenna but what would ya'll suggest? I live in the Ooltewah area, off Hunter Road right behind Hunter Middle School (halfway between I-75 and Hwy 58)

GEAUX LSU Tigers!!!!
post #205 of 2195 Old 09-07-2005, 11:08 AM

well....my antenna just picked up WB, CBS, PBS and ABC. Only channel of interest not being picked up is NBC (WRCB). Is this unusual in this area?

GEAUX LSU Tigers!!!!
post #206 of 2195 Old 09-07-2005, 11:45 AM

Quote:

well....my antenna just picked up WB, CBS, PBS and ABC. Only channel of interest not being picked up is NBC (WRCB). Is this unusual in this area?

How'd you do your setup? Do you have Directv? Do you run the antenna line to the receiver?
post #207 of 2195 Old 09-07-2005, 01:12 PM

I'm actually hooking up to a HDTV tuner card on my personally built HTPC.

GEAUX LSU Tigers!!!!
post #208 of 2195 Old 09-07-2005, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rekkapryde View Post

Hey guys,
I'm new to the Chatt area (live in the Belleau Woods subdivision off of Morris Hill Road close to the mall). Anyway, I just got a 1080p HDTV last weekend (Samsung HL-R5668). Absolutely love it (especially the deal I got on it at Brandsmart in Atlanta). I have some questions about getting HD programming with Directv which is what I got. The technician will be installing my triple LNB dish this weekend, and I need to know what HD receiver I should buy (I'm assuming the standard HD receiver out of a best buy, tweeter, etc is fine). Also, what about receiving local channels in HD with Directv??? Do I need an OTA antenna to get the local programming ? If so, which one? Just need to know what I gotta do since my NFL Sunday Ticket starts this weekend, and I wanna be READY TO ROLL for that in addition to being able to watch local programming in HD.

Anyone????

post #209 of 2195 Old 09-07-2005, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rekkapryde View Post

Anyone????

Yes...you will need an OTA antenna to receive local HD channels. go to www.antennaweb.org to get an idea of what kind of antenna you should buy for your area of chattanooga. chances are a decent directional antenna is what you'll need.

your direcTV receiver will also accept the OTA channels and make them look seamless in the channel guide so no manual switching by you is required.

GEAUX LSU Tigers!!!!
post #210 of 2195 Old 09-07-2005, 06:48 PM

Quote:

WRCB is the only station broadcasting in the VHF band, and I believe that antenna you have is UHF only. Most UHF antennas are able to pick up high VHF channels like WRCB-13 reliably, but yours may not be able to. I use a Winegard squareshooter and it works great, I'm in the Harrison area. The Channelmaster 4228 works very well too.
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page