New Orleans, LA - HDTV - Page 10 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 1Likes

post #271 of 8235 Old 02-23-2006, 08:26 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I had an D* HDTivo installed today, did a channel search, and lo and behold...12.1 is back up...signal looks great on my plasma so those of you with higher resolution displays..rejoice!!!

"It has been my experience that folks who have no vices have very few virtues"
-Abraham Lincoln
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #272 of 8235 Old 02-23-2006, 08:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by teamfour View Post

So you are actually getting WDSU (NBC)?

Quote:
Originally Posted by joabruno View Post

YES

This is the first indication that WDSU-DT(NBC-N.O.) is back on the air? Anyone else getting it through COX or OTA? Are you sure its the DT channel?

I haven't turned my OTA antenna to N.O. since the storm. Charter Northshore has a blank channel still labeled for it but nothing there yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by joabruno View Post

HOW DOES HD BROADCAST OF OLYMPICS ON NBC HD THROUGH COX CABLE LOOK TO YOU?????? TO ME IT HAS ALOT OF PIXELAZATION AND SOMETIMES BLUR, NOT A CLEAR 1080i PICTURE THAT IT IS SUPPOSED TO BE!!!!!!

The Olympics look fantastic in HD from WVLA-DT(NBC-B.R.) OTA. Is it possible WDSU-HD on Cox is not actually the NBCHD feed but a duplicate of their analog channel?

Does your tv lock into full (1080i) mode for WDSU-DT the same way it does for other known HD channels?

Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. - Benjamin Franklin
post #273 of 8235 Old 02-23-2006, 08:30 PM

I read somewhere that WDSU gave Cox a fiber connection so they could carry NBC-HD. I may be wrong but I think that's the case.

-Abraham Lincoln
post #274 of 8235 Old 02-24-2006, 08:42 AM
Advanced Member

I get NBC HD OTA tuned to 83.6 and my panny plasma displays it at 1080i. Also get the feed from Cox and it looks same/similar. I really can't distinguish the difference.

Also my HD/DVR Cox box (motorolla) doesn't seem to have a pass through feature for hd. Instead i have to chose between 720p or 1080i for hd content. My eyes can't tell the difference between the two, using OTA ABC-HD (720p) and the ABC-hd i get through Cox with my hd/dvr set to 1080i.

Maybe I'll notice a difference in sports games, but so far they seem to produce equivalent pictures. At least that's what my brain is telling me

XBL: AJ in HD
PSN: AJ_in_HD
post #275 of 8235 Old 02-25-2006, 09:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedonist View Post

I get NBC HD OTA tuned to 83.6 and my panny plasma displays it at 1080i. Also get the feed from Cox and it looks same/similar. I really can't distinguish the difference.

Also my HD/DVR Cox box (motorolla) doesn't seem to have a pass through feature for hd. Instead i have to chose between 720p or 1080i for hd content. My eyes can't tell the difference between the two, using OTA ABC-HD (720p) and the ABC-hd i get through Cox with my hd/dvr set to 1080i.

Maybe I'll notice a difference in sports games, but so far they seem to produce equivalent pictures. At least that's what my brain is telling me

I would think 83.6 would be a QAM/cable channel (OTA max is channel 69). WDSU-DT OTA is licensed for UHF channel 43 and would likely scan as 6.1 or 43.?.

Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. - Benjamin Franklin
post #276 of 8235 Old 02-25-2006, 04:43 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by raouliii View Post

I would think 83.6 would be a QAM/cable channel (OTA max is channel 69). WDSU-DT OTA is licensed for UHF channel 43 and would likely scan as 6.1 or 43.?.

Yeah, you're right...my mistake.

post #277 of 8235 Old 02-26-2006, 07:51 PM

I have a Toshiba DLP TV with a built-in digital cable/QAM tuner. Connecting my Cox cable directly to the TV's tuner and auto-scanning, I found WGNO-ABC on 53.1 for about a day, and nothing else. Today, 53.1 is just a blank screen, but now I found WDSU-NBC on 81.1 and PBS on 81.3. Can someone post a list of the local HD channels Cox broadcasts in the clear in Jefferson Parish?

I live on the Westbank in Marrero, and am able to catch WVUE-FOX on 8.1 and WWL-CBS on 4.1. Man oh man, the pic. quality on their HD shows is eye popping! Can't wait to catch the next episode of 24 tomorrow night! Unfortunately, I cannot catch WGNO OTA either, and won't get to watch Grey's Anatomy tonight in HD. :-(
post #278 of 8235 Old 02-27-2006, 10:30 AM

is WDSU broadcasting from the Westbank or their old location?.... getting no signal right now..
post #279 of 8235 Old 02-27-2006, 11:56 AM

The PBS HD ch is now on! WYES dt11 (12-1) NO subs! Getting it in Houma so there should be no reception problems for most.
post #280 of 8235 Old 02-28-2006, 08:59 AM

WYES dt11 (12-1) is pegging the meter here in Lacombe. Much better than Pre- Katrina level.

WDSU 6-1 (NBC) is the last to come online. Not a peep from them as to when they will be back up. I'm getting really sick of the crappy satellite feed of WDSU from Dish.

Jim
post #281 of 8235 Old 02-28-2006, 09:28 PM

I think I found WDSU, WGNO, and PBS on my Jeff. Parish Cox cable tuned thru my HDTV's built-in digital cable tuner:

WGNO 53-1
WDSU 81-1
PBS 81-3

It seems these channels don't come in reliably. Does Cox broadcast the local channels in the clear, or are they having feed problems from the local stations due to infrastructure damage from Katrina/Rita? Right now, I'm only getting WGNO on 53-1. I was watching PBS on 81-3 earlier this afternoon just fine, but now there's nothing. WDSU was on yesterday, but nothing today. I did watch the closing ceremonies of the winter olympics on 81-1 in HD earlier this week, but Jay Leno was not in HD, just upconverted with pillaring.

I would have expected the local channels to come in fine with all the commercials Cox is airing to push their HD service, but if they're not able to broadcast them reliably, a lot of new customers will be disappointed. Someone correct me though if Cox is indeed only broadcasting the local HD channels encrypted, requiring their STB or a cablecard, and maybe I stumbled across some test channels or something.
post #282 of 8235 Old 03-01-2006, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOHDjunkie View Post

WYES dt11 (12-1) is pegging the meter here in Lacombe. Much better than Pre- Katrina level.

WDSU 6-1 (NBC) is the last to come online. Not a peep from them as to when they will be back up. I'm getting really sick of the crappy satellite feed of WDSU from Dish.

It stinks on D* too. Don't feel bad.

I got my 4228 today, tomorrow I'm gonna put it up and see what happens...I hope I can make it without the -preamp....but if I need to I will....

-Abraham Lincoln
post #283 of 8235 Old 03-02-2006, 12:18 AM
Advanced Member

Cox does broadcast all the local channels they get in the clear plus the digital music channels.

Unfortunately, they don't have partnership with CBS or FOX to broadcast their HD feeds. I have asked when Cox would carry, and they do not know. Luckily both are available OTA 4-1 (CBS-HD) and 8-1 (FOX-HD). All other local channels are broadcast in the clear and any QAM tuner should pick it up.

NBC's tonight show wasn't broadcast in HD tonight...not quite sure why. They were widescreen HD last week.

post #284 of 8235 Old 03-02-2006, 06:52 AM

Hedonist, are you in Jefferson or Orleans parish? As of last night around 10pm, I still could not receive HD WDSU nor PBS on channels 81-1 and 81-3 via my Toshiba's built-in HDTV/digital cable tuner. Just black screens w/ no signal. Only WGNO was up on 53-1. I wonder if the channels I tuned in were not the correct ones for Cox in Jefferson.

I'll try contacting Cox and see if they'll tell me what channels they broadcast the local HD channels for me to tune into with my own tuner. I'm skeptical that they will since they probably would rather me rent their HD STB or cablecard, but their ads do state "free" HD, so we'll see.

I too can get WWL and WVUE OTA, and their signals are great! Watching 24 on Fox in HD is awesome! Not much of a fan of any CBS shows, but I may have to get into them as their 1080i broadcasts are so beautiful to watch on my new 1080p DLP tv.
post #285 of 8235 Old 03-02-2006, 08:16 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohernan View Post

Hedonist, are you in Jefferson or Orleans parish? As of last night around 10pm, I still could not receive HD WDSU nor PBS on channels 81-1 and 81-3 via my Toshiba's built-in HDTV/digital cable tuner. Just black screens w/ no signal. Only WGNO was up on 53-1. I wonder if the channels I tuned in were not the correct ones for Cox in Jefferson.

I'll try contacting Cox and see if they'll tell me what channels they broadcast the local HD channels for me to tune into with my own tuner. I'm skeptical that they will since they probably would rather me rent their HD STB or cablecard, but their ads do state "free" HD, so we'll see.

I too can get WWL and WVUE OTA, and their signals are great! Watching 24 on Fox in HD is awesome! Not much of a fan of any CBS shows, but I may have to get into them as their 1080i broadcasts are so beautiful to watch on my new 1080p DLP tv.

I'm in Orleans parish, Uptown. Since upgrading to STB for the free 2 months HD/DVR thing, I don't know the current status of receiving those channels using the QAM tuner. But prior to that I was able to get PBS-HD, NBC-HD, and ABC-HD. The corresponding QAM stations were (i believe) 81-3 (PBS), 81-6 (NBC), and 53-3 (ABC) note that when I did an automatic scan I also picked up 53-1 (abc) but it was not HD and appeared to be upconverted garbage, so for ABC tune to 53-3.

This was true as of 3 weeks ago for me (at which point i got the STB).

I'd advise just using the automatic scan feature, whenever I tried to manually tune in a digital channel w/o doing a scan I couldn't do it. But I'm not sure if that was due to a limitation of my own tv or not. The same went for tuning OTA channels, I have to do the automatic scan to pick up the digital channels. I wonder if this is specific to Panasonics?? I have the 50px50u, anyone else notice this issue with QAM tuners?

post #286 of 8235 Old 03-02-2006, 11:54 AM

I'm on the fence as far as signing up for Cox's HD STB...from their website, it looks like the only way to hook up their HD STB is through component video. The installation instructions show a DVI port on the back, but it's labeled "disabled". My new TV only has 2 sets of component inputs, and they're both already taken by my DVD player and XBox. Do they offer a STB with either DVI or HDMI outputs? My TV has 2 HDMI inputs as well as 2 firewire inputs (but I doubt Cox has boxes advanced enough to output over IEEE1394). My only other option is a cablecard, but I'd hate to lose the program guide.
post #287 of 8235 Old 03-02-2006, 12:10 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I'm on the fence as far as signing up for Cox's HD STB...from their website, it looks like the only way to hook up their HD STB is through component video. The installation instructions show a DVI port on the back, but it's labeled "disabled". My new TV only has 2 sets of component inputs, and they're both already taken by my DVD player and XBox. Do they offer a STB with either DVI or HDMI outputs? My TV has 2 HDMI inputs as well as 2 firewire inputs (but I doubt Cox has boxes advanced enough to output over IEEE1394). My only other option is a cablecard, but I'd hate to lose the program guide.

Cox's documentation sucks, but don't worry about it. I thought the same thing and when I ordered the HD/DVR I received the Motorola DCT 6400 series (6416, 160 gb harddrive) which has HDMI, Component, S-video, and Composite video out. Plus conventional analog audio out and also digital audio out (both optical and coax) so you should be good to go.

The only downside I have found with the STB is that you have to decide how you want the video and audio to output signals. Meaning you have to 1st pick 720p or 1080i for HD, then for SD you have to choose 480i or 480p standard, or stretch the 480i/p. Also for digital audio you have to chose between dolby digital and PCM output.

IMO, the PCM output sounds louder and my receiver uses DTS technology to matrix the sound for the 6.1 system I have.

As for the quality of Cox's HD channels, as numerous others have stated, TNT-HD absolutely sucks. But the rest are pretty good. I personally enjoy the MHD (MTV-HD) channel as they broadcast a lot of live performances in very good quality. INHD and INHD2 are also fairly good channels.

Frankly, DVR is pretty freaking cool.

post #288 of 8235 Old 03-03-2006, 10:43 AM

I am in slidell and have Charter cable basic (channels 2 - 22). I heard people talking about getting hd channels on COX. I have a Philips 42" plasma with QAM tuner, plugged the cable in and it didn't find any digital channels. Has anyone on the north shore had any luck getting HD channels on Charter basic cable?
post #289 of 8235 Old 03-03-2006, 02:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich_Slidell View Post

I am in slidell and have Charter cable basic (channels 2 - 22). I heard people talking about getting hd channels on COX. I have a Philips 42" plasma with QAM tuner, plugged the cable in and it didn't find any digital channels. Has anyone on the north shore had any luck getting HD channels on Charter basic cable?

Charter's local HD channels are unencrypted. Your QAM tuner should be able to receive them. However, it is likely that your basic cable service includes a filter that only allows channels 2-22 to pass.

post #290 of 8235 Old 03-06-2006, 08:02 AM

I'm in Slidell using Charter's HD service. All of my HD channels have disappeared. Anyone else experiencing this?
post #291 of 8235 Old 03-06-2006, 06:14 PM
Advanced Member

anyone else experience crappy feed of wvue-hd? 24 is coming in partially pixelated at times. Hope it clears up soon.

post #292 of 8235 Old 03-07-2006, 10:32 AM

Cox Now says it will have Fox HD! Look at Thier Web site

hooray
post #293 of 8235 Old 03-07-2006, 10:32 AM

2nd post is mine
post #294 of 8235 Old 03-07-2006, 04:48 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmilam View Post

Cox Now says it will have Fox HD! Look at Thier Web site

hooray

LOL, their website is one of the worst I've seen for a cable provider. Where do you find that they will carry FOX HD? Can you post link? What about CBS HD?

I see that they list Fox and CBS as part of their HD channels, but there is a disclaimer that states that not all channels available in all markets. Sadly, this applies to the NOLA market.

post #295 of 8235 Old 03-07-2006, 09:04 PM

Quote:

anyone else experience crappy feed of wvue-hd? 24 is coming in partially pixelated at times. Hope it clears up soon.

I was getting signal dropouts last night while watching 24, pretty annoying. I figured it was my crappy OTA antenna, but maybe it was indeed a problem w/ the signal from WVUE.

24 is about the only network show I watch, so I haven't watched OTA HD since.

I now have Cox's HD service, and it's pretty awesome! I'll almost have no reason to rent DVD's, as I get HBO HD for free since I have Cox for cable, internet, & phone. You were right Hedonist, DVR is cool.
post #296 of 8235 Old 03-07-2006, 09:05 PM

Quote:

LOL, their website is one of the worst I've seen for a cable provider. Where do you find that they will carry FOX HD? Can you post link? What about CBS HD?

I see that they list Fox and CBS as part of their HD channels, but there is a disclaimer that states that not all channels available in all markets. Sadly, this applies to the NOLA market.

Yeah, hopefully Cox will carry all the other local channels in HD, making their DVR even more worthwhile.
post #297 of 8235 Old 03-08-2006, 08:52 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I was getting signal dropouts last night while watching 24, pretty annoying. I figured it was my crappy OTA antenna, but maybe it was indeed a problem w/ the signal from WVUE.

24 is about the only network show I watch, so I haven't watched OTA HD since.

I now have Cox's HD service, and it's pretty awesome! I'll almost have no reason to rent DVD's, as I get HBO HD for free since I have Cox for cable, internet, & phone. You were right Hedonist, DVR is cool.

I'll give my brother credit who claimed it was worth it. It feels like I watch more programs in less time, since I just FF through commercials. Are you using the HDMI or Component connection? I can't rationalize paying the outrageous cost for HDMI cable and am waiting on getting one from a friend of family in the install business so I currently watch HD through component cables.

With regard to WVUE-HD, I think part of the problem was that my indoor antenna wasn't exactly pointed in the optimum direction. During one of the commercials of 24 I went online to antennaweb.org and it said to point antenna to 77 degrees (according to my location Uptown) for WVUE-HD. Once I did that, my signal strength jumped from a crappy 35% to 70-80% which was sufficient for a clear signal without pixelation or other problems. I guess the orientation of my antenna had changed since the last episode of 24.

post #298 of 8235 Old 03-08-2006, 09:54 AM

Quote:

I can't rationalize paying the outrageous cost for HDMI cable and am waiting on getting one from a friend of family in the install business so I currently watch HD through component cables.

HDMI cables aren't expensive. Overpriced Monster Cables at BB and CC are. But you don't need those.

http://www.monoprice.com/products/pr...ormat=2&style=

Jim
post #299 of 8235 Old 03-08-2006, 11:37 AM

Quote:

I'll give my brother credit who claimed it was worth it. It feels like I watch more programs in less time, since I just FF through commercials. Are you using the HDMI or Component connection? I can't rationalize paying the outrageous cost for HDMI cable and am waiting on getting one from a friend of family in the install business so I currently watch HD through component cables.

With regard to WVUE-HD, I think part of the problem was that my indoor antenna wasn't exactly pointed in the optimum direction. During one of the commercials of 24 I went online to antennaweb.org and it said to point antenna to 77 degrees (according to my location Uptown) for WVUE-HD. Once I did that, my signal strength jumped from a crappy 35% to 70-80% which was sufficient for a clear signal without pixelation or other problems. I guess the orientation of my antenna had changed since the last episode of 24.

I went w/ HDMI since both my component inputs on my tv were already taken up. I found a 6' cable at Target for $39.99, which was a lot cheaper than what Circuit City and Best Buy were charging. The one I got was a GE brand, but with HDMI being an all digital signal, any decently shielded cable will work just fine. It's pretty unbelievable how Monster gets away w/ charging so much $$$ for their cables that are just hyped up by their marketing gimmicks.

One complaint I do have about the Moto DVR box, the cooling fan in it sure is noisy! I'm going to have to gerry-rig something in my entertainment center that it's sitting in to muffle the noise, as it's very distracting.
post #300 of 8235 Old 03-08-2006, 04:26 PM
Advanced Member

I noticed the noise issue as well. It gives me a good excuse to turn up the volume anyway

Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page