Forum Jump: 
 1Likes

post #361 of 8235 Old 04-10-2006, 11:04 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Rauoliii,
Thanks for the info!! I'll plug up my cable line and do a scan to see what it pulls! I don't believe I have any filters. I'm guessing when Charter gets the other HD locals going again, they will be unencrypted too. I'm surprised you can't get WVUE Fox 8 unencrypted on charter being it works so well with OTA.

Teamfour,
While flipping around yesterday using my OTA antenna...I noticed that Nascar was not in HD, but it WAS in HD(or at least widescreen) on Saturday. Weird that they had it different on each day. Although I just flipped through it and left it on the Masters Golf Tourney on WWL which was nice and pretty on HD both days.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #362 of 8235 Old 04-10-2006, 12:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by james_k_p View Post

Rauoliii,
Thanks for the info!! I'll plug up my cable line and do a scan to see what it pulls! I don't believe I have any filters. I'm guessing when Charter gets the other HD locals going again, they will be unencrypted too. I'm surprised you can't get WVUE Fox 8 unencrypted on charter being it works so well with OTA.

Your welcome. My understanding is that Charter and Fox are still working on an agreement. Charter Northshore was carrying WDSU-DT, NBC pre-Katrina. It had been carried as a channel with blank video up until a month ago. Now its gone from the lineup.

Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. - Benjamin Franklin
post #363 of 8235 Old 04-10-2006, 07:41 PM
Advanced Member

Guess WVUE is having problems with their HD feed...24 was initially broadcast in HD, then midway through they switched it to SD.

XBL: AJ in HD
PSN: AJ_in_HD
post #364 of 8235 Old 04-10-2006, 09:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedonist View Post

Guess WVUE is having problems with their HD feed...24 was initially broadcast in HD, then midway through they switched it to SD.

Bummer! I was just about to start watching it on HD-Tivo. WVUE had the same problem with the Samsung/RadioShack 500. I switched to WGMB in Baton Rouge to watch the race in HD. I guess I'll have to go back to recording 24 on 44.

Is this working? Testing? Hello? Can they really read my words? Hello?
post #365 of 8235 Old 04-12-2006, 09:31 AM

Wow..WGNO (ABC) actually had HD on last night with the 2nd part of The 10 Commandments and that Kelly Ripa show. I didn't watch any of it for any length of time, but glad to see they might have fixed their problems.
post #366 of 8235 Old 04-12-2006, 10:03 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Wow..WGNO (ABC) actually had HD on last night with the 2nd part of The 10 Commandments and that Kelly Ripa show. I didn't watch any of it for any length of time, but glad to see they might have fixed their problems.

I wouldn't hold my breath. The way I look at it, I'm just happy when they DO show HD, since it's so inconsistent. So far it seems like ALL the local networks have problems with their HD content from time to time...so it's just something we have to learn to accept, and be glad when HD comes through!

post #367 of 8235 Old 04-12-2006, 09:25 PM

My new Toshiba DLP tv has this feature, but I have yet to see it load any program guide info for the local OTA channels. In the first week I had it, it showed a channel lineup, but no schedule or show listing. Now, every time I enter the guide, it says the info will be updated in the next 24 hours.

I'm wondering, do the local New Orleans channels broadcast the data the TV Guide system needs, or do I have a problem with my TV? Does anyone else here have this working for them?

Thanks!
post #368 of 8235 Old 04-13-2006, 03:42 PM

the guide comes through fine on my Samsung, sometimes some channels are empty in the guide. I'm guessing it didn't recieve any info for that channel when its blank
post #369 of 8235 Old 04-17-2006, 08:42 AM

Had a great HD picture on ABC26 ... just as long as no one moved!!! Looks like we had that weird color shift back last night (Sunday) during the network shows. Only happens on the network feeds (local commercials were fine).

Too lazy to wire up the upstairs antenna to Biloxi so I watched the Desperate Housewives from ABC26 with the color shifting. I would have loved to have a pair of those 3D glasses so see what it looked like.

They were even having issues on their analog feed during primetime last week (quite a few signal drops).

I'm not mad at ABC 26... at least they have a digital signal on the air unlike some other station - WDSU. Even PBS has a great HD signal on the air!!! Maybe WDSU should have a donation night like PBS and raise some money for a new transmitter - hmmmmm
post #370 of 8235 Old 04-17-2006, 11:18 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich_Slidell View Post

Too lazy to wire up the upstairs antenna to Biloxi so I watched the Desperate Housewives from ABC26 with the color shifting. I would have loved to have a pair of those 3D glasses so see what it looked like.

LOL, I thought about that too! Has anyone used 3D glasses to look at Discovery HD Theaters 3D commercials about Cassini pictures (I think that's what they're of)?

Just curious, I might have to buy some cheapo 3D glasses to see HD in 3D!

post #371 of 8235 Old 04-17-2006, 02:37 PM

Hmm I think I see what you are talking about with color shifts. I was all excited to hopefully watch the ABC NBA games in HD on Sunday afternoon, but nada. When it first came on...and the announcers were talking...it was HD..then when it went to the floor....it was all crappy looking with reds and blues...and bam...it immediately went to SD.

I even went to the ABC HD from Baton Rouge (50.4 I believe) and it was doing the same thing. I was very disappointed.

I did try to pick up WVLA or whatever it is, the Baton Rouge NBC with my outdoor antenna at 34.1, and no luck, I couldn't pick anything up. I know Rich had told me it was on 33.1, but their website said 34.1, either way, not a bleep on the radar.

Looks like it will be forever before I get to watch Sat. Night Live in HD.

Oh yeah, this guy who came Saturday to install my new 622 E* with the HD channels told me he was told that our local HDs will be added THIS month. I don't know how accurate he is, but that's what was told to me.
post #372 of 8235 Old 04-17-2006, 03:23 PM

Found this on the gov site about WDSU... Posted on 11 Apr 2006

http://svartifoss2.fcc.gov/prod/cdbs...ibit_id=387984

Looks like it might by mid 2007 before they get their DTV on the air... Bad news for NBC OTA. I don't think that Charter carries the WDSU DT feed that COX is getting so even worse news for us on the northshore!

I ordered a CM4228 and CM7777 to see if I can get NBC from anywhere! Baton Rouge is still the best option but it is approx 90 miles. I am not getting my hopes up.

James_K_P - I don't know what you were picking up on 50.4 but it wasn't Baton Rouge. The ABC affiliate there is channel 2.1 rf 13 and very low power. RF channel 50 is actually the PAX group and ABC26 is using one of their subchannels to broadcast 26.1. Also WVLA is RF 34 and it routed to 33.1. It is a real hit and miss for me with an inside antenna upstairs. I found one hot spot for the station... if I move the antenna left or right I lose it ALSO if I move the entire antenna up or down (still pointed straight), I lose it.
Maybe I will have some luck with the CM4228.
post #373 of 8235 Old 04-17-2006, 03:57 PM

Yeah, that makes the most sense about the 50 channel I found. It's 50.3, 50.4, 50.5, and 50.6, and they are just rebroadcasts of pax, abc, some faith channel and wb I think.

The satellite guy I had said that if I really wanted to something from Baton Rouge, I'd need to put my outdoor antenna about 30 feet in the air if not higher. Well I doubt I'm going to attempt that. Maybe WDSU can have something worked out with E*.

One can only hope.
post #374 of 8235 Old 04-17-2006, 08:23 PM

Great signals tonight -

I am sitting here in my second floor office in slidell with a small silver sensor antenna attached to a 10db amplifer pointed west six foot off the floor and I am getting a 64% signal on KLFY CBS out of Lafayette. Baton Rouge was also strong tonight. There must be some great DXing going on tonight.

I am going to see what else I can pick up further west. Shots to the east are normal.
post #375 of 8235 Old 04-17-2006, 09:41 PM

Around 10pm tonight in Slidell...Just walking around with my small battery operated analog TV received channel KZTV CBS channel 10 from Corpus Christi clear as a bell and turned slightly to the right and picked up WALA Fox 10 from Mobile. Stations stepping on each other. I know this is a digital board but it all started with my picking up KLFY digital.

I wish I had an outside antenna - would be getting some great digital signals.

Has anyone had any luck with long distance stations on an outside antenna?
post #376 of 8235 Old 04-17-2006, 10:25 PM
Advanced Member

you guys are cracking me up!

very funny to realize there are some dedicated people out there, keep it up.

post #377 of 8235 Old 04-18-2006, 07:34 AM

Hedonist... I don't know if I would call it dedication but more because the wife is out of town and I was bored as sh** last night!
post #378 of 8235 Old 04-18-2006, 07:44 AM
Advanced Member

Yeah, that's what my fiance would call "being a man".... as she rolls her eyes and lets me be. Because she knows that's the sort of sh!t we like to think up.

post #379 of 8235 Old 04-18-2006, 08:03 AM

where do they learn that eye rolling thing? Mine wife has been doing that for years. The good news for you is that fiances usually put up with more than wives do!

My CM4228 should arrive today and she doesn't know how big it really is...

The good news for her is that it is going in the attic and not on the roof. All this for a possible NBC feed from Baton Rouge.

Hope the signals are good tonight!
post #380 of 8235 Old 04-18-2006, 08:46 AM

Wow Rich, I don't get it.

I don't have any luck getting those long distance stations. Are you saying you got regular analog signals with that little battery operated TV?

I don't have any luck getting anything but the N.O. locals (digital) with my big outdoor. Maybe because I don't have it high enough and I have single story home, and my neighborhood has alot of 2 story homes. Would they be blocking me?
post #381 of 8235 Old 04-18-2006, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigEasyHD View Post

the guide comes through fine on my Samsung, sometimes some channels are empty in the guide. I'm guessing it didn't recieve any info for that channel when its blank

What zip code do you live in? About the only thing I can change in my TV's TV Guide setup is the zip code, which is 70072 in Marrero. I'll try changing that next, but I plan on contacting Toshiba cust. support to see if it's a problem with my TV.

TIA
post #382 of 8235 Old 04-18-2006, 10:58 AM

Quote:

Wow Rich, I don't get it.

I don't have any luck getting those long distance stations. Are you saying you got regular analog signals with that little battery operated TV?

I don't have any luck getting anything but the N.O. locals with my big outdoor. Maybe because I don't have it high enough and I have single story home, and my neighborhood has alot of 2 story homes. Would they be blocking me?

James,

What happened last night was a fluke - weird atmospheric conditions allow for signals to skip hundreds of miles (dxing) and that is why I was able to pick up Lafayette and Corpus Christi. This happens at certain times of the year usually in the morning or at night.

The Baton Rouge signal is another issue. I can pick that up on a regular basis but the antenna has to be pointed exactly and clear of obstructions and trees. I have a clear shot through an outside wall and at 11:45 am I am getting WVLA 33 from BR at 57% on a small indoor antenna with 10db amplifier. The amplifier makes a huge difference for distant stations. The other factor is that WVLA is blasting out 1000kw on a 521 foot mast. The higher the transmitting tower and the more powerful the station, the better chance you have of picking it up. To have any chance of picking up BR, you need a preamp on your antenna, if you don't have one.

You should have no trouble picking up WLOX from Biloxi rf 39 (715kw on a 342ft mast) but much closer than BR. Transmitter is north of Biloxi near Wiggins. Since Once again there is another Mayoral debate (endless!!!) from 7 - 8:30 tonight on ABC26, so I will be watching ABC from WLOX. I think all of the New Orleans stations forgot that we on the northshore don't have a say in who becomes mayor of New Orleans so I really don't want to watch them debate.

What signal strengths are you getting on the NO stations with your outside antenna?
post #383 of 8235 Old 04-18-2006, 12:50 PM

Quote:

What signal strengths are you getting on the NO stations with your outside antenna?

Around 80% for most of them. I could probably tweak it to get more, but I don't feel like bothering with it since it comes through clean.

Yeah....I don't have an amplifier. I'll wait till you get yours and get your stories of success and I'll probably buy the same one you have. I'd have to put my antenna alot higher in the air to be free of obstructions when trying to get the Baton Rouge NBC though. The antenna only came with about a 6 or 7 foot pole and with it attached to my overhang, it's only about 17ft in the air.

I probably need to drag it into the front yard and walk around with it trying to see if I can get any blips on 33.1 .

FYI, I didn't pay attention when I installed it, but after looking at what's on sale on some antenna sites, I believe what I have is a CM4242.
post #384 of 8235 Old 04-18-2006, 04:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohernan View Post

What zip code do you live in? About the only thing I can change in my TV's TV Guide setup is the zip code, which is 70072 in Marrero. I'll try changing that next, but I plan on contacting Toshiba cust. support to see if it's a problem with my TV.

TIA

I'm in LaPlace, 70068. I've got a CM 4228 on a 20' mast in the backyard with a CM 7777 amp. Works like a charm, even caught ABC out of Pensacola on a fluke one day. That sucks about WDSU taking so long to get the DTV back but hey we have all 3 CSI's on CBS and LOST on ABC!
post #385 of 8235 Old 04-19-2006, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigEasyHD View Post

I'm in LaPlace, 70068. I've got a CM 4228 on a 20' mast in the backyard with a CM 7777 amp. Works like a charm, even caught ABC out of Pensacola on a fluke one day. That sucks about WDSU taking so long to get the DTV back but hey we have all 3 CSI's on CBS and LOST on ABC!

Got my CM4228 in yesterday with the CM7777 amp - pointed out a second floor window in Slidell and received all NO stations 91-94 %, WLOX out of Biloxi at 91% and even WVLA out of Baton Rouge with fluctuating signals 40-71% during the day. Hopefully it will be more solid at night.

ABC26 still having problems with the color shifting transmitted a SD signal last night primetime. No Lost tonight - Alias instead. Also no CSI tomorrow night thanks to another of these endless mayor debates on WWL. Leave it to WWL to take off the highest rated show on CBS (their propaganda - not mine) to put on another debate. Way to go!
post #386 of 8235 Old 04-19-2006, 08:55 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

ABC26 still having problems with the color shifting transmitted a SD signal last night primetime. No Lost tonight - Alias instead. Also no CSI tomorrow night thanks to another of these endless mayor debates on WWL. Leave it to WWL to take off the highest rated show on CBS (their propaganda - not mine) to put on another debate. Way to go!

ABC also broadcast first half of Boston Legal in SD, then switched to their color shifted HD version halfway through.

post #387 of 8235 Old 04-19-2006, 09:20 AM

Interesting Rich...I'll have to buy a CM7777 amp. Take the Amp off and what is the WVLA signal with only the antenna? I'm curious.

Being you are near me in Slidell, where do you point it to Baton Rouge? Being, is it aiming almost perfectly parallel to I-12? Or slightly south of I-12? I'm not exactly sure where to aim it from slidell in real life direction as opposed to looking at a map.
post #388 of 8235 Old 04-19-2006, 10:30 AM

Quote:

Interesting Rich...I'll have to buy a CM7777 amp. Take the Amp off and what is the WVLA signal with only the antenna? I'm curious.

Here are the signal strengths using the CM4228:

with CM7777 / Without CM7777

WGNO (26.1)- 91% with / 85% without
WWL (4.1) - 94% / 91%
WVUE (8.1) - 94% / 91%

WLOX (13.1) - 91% / 64 - 66 %

WVLA (33.1) - 30%-50% / 4% - 8%

these are at 11:15am so I suspect WVLA out of BR will be stronger tonight.
I am slightly north of I-12 off of airport road and I point my antenna due west for Baton Rouge.

Even though the CM4228 is a UHF antenna - I still get WYES HD in at 91%.

James, if you are not getting any kind of signal at all out of WVLA, I don't know if an amplifier will help. However, I am certain it will help you on the Biloxi Stations.
post #389 of 8235 Old 04-19-2006, 01:54 PM

That's great info Rich! Thanks for taking the time to post all of that.

So what I'm mainly concerned about is WLVA 33.1. So without the preamp, it's only 4-8%! Can you even get a few pixels that low? That's a pretty impressive jump from that to 30-50%.

That gives me some definite interest to get the preamp and start doing some of my own experimenting.
post #390 of 8235 Old 04-19-2006, 02:12 PM

I don't receive any pic at 4-8% just a blip on the signal meter. I start to get a picture around 17%. Preamp definately makes a difference on distant stations but like I said, it is more location to start with. If you aren't getting a signal at all - amplification won't do a thing.
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page