New Orleans, LA - HDTV - Page 19 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 1Likes

post #541 of 8230 Old 08-01-2006, 10:45 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Seems as if WDSU does nothing but elicit questions with virtually no answers.

Who, if anyone, has WDSU channel 6 NBC in high definition?

If anyone does, where do you get it? and what equipment are you using to pick it up?

Or is NBC from Baton Rouge (OTA) the only alternative for HD NBC for those of us in the NO Metro area?

Jim

post #542 of 8230 Old 08-01-2006, 11:33 AM

I have WDSU HD through my cable box.

I don't have an antenna for any channel.
post #543 of 8230 Old 08-01-2006, 12:01 PM

Yep, Looks like us northshore folk who don't have the rig to pull in that Baton Rouge NBC OTA HD station will be out of luck this weekend for the first NFL game on NBC. That' really stinks. Hopefully none of the Saints games will get stuck on that dreaded channel.
post #544 of 8230 Old 08-01-2006, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by james_k_p View Post

Yep, Looks like us northshore folk who don't have the rig to pull in that Baton Rouge NBC OTA HD station will be out of luck this weekend for the first NFL game on NBC. That' really stinks. Hopefully none of the Saints games will get stuck on that dreaded channel.

I just pulled their schedule off my fridge, and it stated that none of the games are on NBC.

Just the usual FOX, a couple of CBS games, and a few ESPN games are on tap.
post #545 of 8230 Old 08-02-2006, 06:20 AM

There was an article in the T-P that says WDSU's HD equipment was wiped out by the storm. They are rebuilding. See thread # 487 in this forum.

Frank
post #546 of 8230 Old 08-02-2006, 08:24 AM

I know, I have the actual article bookmarked. But I have 0 pity for them. It's been a year. Get that crap back up. If they could fix the twin span in 3 months, this can be done within a year. So in my mind, they are a crap station and I watch nothing on NBC because of it besides SNL and I'll continue to do it.
post #547 of 8230 Old 08-02-2006, 09:27 AM

Ok, I moved to Laplace about 2 months ago and I decided to get Dish, which I love. Now I want to get OTA from out of New Orleans in HD but most of the stuff I read on here is greek to me. My wife is against an outdoor antenna, so its going to have to be in the attic, still trying to have her give in. Any suggestions and ideas are welcome. I posted before and had some suggestions but that was before the move. Also I'm not too good at installing so please keep that in mind also. Thanks in advance.
post #548 of 8230 Old 08-02-2006, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blaqmoon View Post

Ok, I moved to Laplace about 2 months ago and I decided to get Dish, which I love. Now I want to get OTA from out of New Orleans in HD but most of the stuff I read on here is greek to me. My wife is against an outdoor antenna, so its going to have to be in the attic, still trying to have her give in. Any suggestions and ideas are welcome. I posted before and had some suggestions but that was before the move. Also I'm not too good at installing so please keep that in mind also. Thanks in advance.

This is the Antenna you want.

http://www.solidsignal.com/prod_disp...p?PROD=ANC4228

This is the preamp you want.

http://www.solidsignal.com/prod_disp...=&PROD=ANC7775

You will also need a 1.5" piece of pipe to mount it to.Available at home depot in the electrical section ( 10 foot 1.5" EMT about $10)

Also if you are so inclined you may want a rotor so you can fine tune the position without having to go back and forth to the attic. (not needed but VERY convienient) And since You're in LaPlace you might be able to swing it over to Baton Rouge for the NBC station.

http://www.solidsignal.com/prod_disp...?PROD=MTRTR200

This stuff is available from other vendors as well. I'm not pushing Solid Signal that's ust where I got my stuff.

Here is a primer on what is involved (basics)

http://www.crutchfieldadvisor.com/IS...na.html?page=3

Jim
post #549 of 8230 Old 08-02-2006, 01:37 PM

thank you for the info and help. how much you charge for install? lol
post #550 of 8230 Old 08-02-2006, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blaqmoon View Post

thank you for the info and help. how much you charge for install? lol

You buy the stuff and give me a few bucks for gas and I'd be happy to help. If all it costs me is a few hours of my time on a weekend it's no big deal.

You don't have a metal roof or aluminium siding do you?

Jim
post #551 of 8230 Old 08-02-2006, 03:09 PM

no, i dont have either one of those. im trying to get home HT setup. just had my speakers installed and just got a yamaha v2600, sounds great.
post #552 of 8230 Old 08-02-2006, 07:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcgilbert View Post

The schedule from charter shows WDSU NBC, WWL CBS, WGNO ABC,and WNOL WB. I've found all but WDSU. Plus a bunch of wild feeds!

Charter Northshore carried WDSU-DT pre-Katrina. For six months, post-Katrina, it was carried as a blank channel, which was then removed altogether.

BTW, WNOL-DT is always SD.

I get my OTA DT from Baton Rouge, (ABC, PBS, NBC & Fox).

I'm west of Ponchatoula, Pumpkin Center area.

Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. - Benjamin Franklin
post #553 of 8230 Old 08-02-2006, 07:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAStarsFan View Post

I have WDSU HD through my cable box.

I don't have an antenna for any channel.

The actual availability of WDSU-DT is a VERY big issue on this thread.

You state in your signature that you are a "Confused HD Viewer" and only have 3 posts.

Are you absolutely sure what you are getting is WDSU-DT (HD)? What cable company are you with and what channel is it on?

Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. - Benjamin Franklin
post #554 of 8230 Old 08-03-2006, 06:44 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by james_k_p View Post

I know, I have the actual article bookmarked. But I have 0 pity for them. It's been a year. Get that crap back up. If they could fix the twin span in 3 months, this can be done within a year. So in my mind, they are a crap station and I watch nothing on NBC because of it besides SNL and I'll continue to do it.

Indeed! Hear, hear!

Let's compare and contrast WDSU to WGNO, shall we?

WGNO completely lost their, 1) Transmitters, 2) Offices, 3) Studios, and 4) Control room.

Their transmitters, analog and digital were underwater, just as WDSU's were.

Their offices, studios, and control room were in the New Orleans Center, directly adjacent to the Superdome. New Orleans center was looted to the bare walls. WGNO's studio sets and broadcast equipment was all either stolen or vandalized to useless rubble.

Yet, as of today WGNO has a full power analog signal back up, has rebuilt their studios and control room (using their old digs at the WTC), and set a goal to have HD back up "before the Superbowl", which they accomplished (albeit by leasing a channel on WPXL's transmitter), but still, they transmitted the Superbowl in HD.

Hurst-Argyle, the owner of WDSU, just doesn't care. Period. My impression is that they'd just as soon sell WDSU and bail out of New Orleans.

Tribune (the owner of WGNO and WNOL), on the other hand, is committed to bringing their New Orleans stations back as quickly as possible.

WNOL is not in HD because WGNO, WPXL, and WNOL are sharing a single digital transmitter, and they only have the bandwidth for one of those to be in HD. I've heard rumors though that their goal is to have WGNO and WNOL on separate transmitters in time for the launch of the CW network this September, so that the CW fall premiers can be in HD on WNOL. They made their "Superbowl" goal..... There's hope!
post #555 of 8230 Old 08-03-2006, 07:18 AM

Here's a thought....

Didn't WDSU broadcast on WPXL for a while after Katrina??

Even if I'm mistaken, if, after WGNO gets up and running on its own in sept (fingers crossed) WDSU should lease the transmitter from WPXL just as WGNO did.

Jim
post #556 of 8230 Old 08-03-2006, 07:23 AM

Here is my data on WDSU.

I have a new Samsung TV, no Set Top Box, Cox Jefferson. I get Channel 6 digital at 81-6; that is the direct channel address, not the Cox channel number.

My new TV has an indoor antenna which I have located in the attic. I get WWL on 4-1, WYES on 12-1, ABC on 26-1 and UPN on 54-1. I don't get WDSU OTA. I haven't adjusted the antenna position, just have it pointed toward downtown.

I put a Fusion HDTV tuner card in my PC and I get WDSU on D814, which I believe is equivalent to 81-4.

Three months ago I couldn't spell Digital TV now I maybe have too much.

Frank
post #557 of 8230 Old 08-03-2006, 07:40 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOHDjunkie View Post

Here's a thought....

Didn't WDSU broadcast on WPXL for a while after Katrina??

Even if I'm mistaken, if, after WGNO gets up and running on its own in sept (fingers crossed) WDSU should lease the transmitter from WPXL just as WGNO did.

WDSU leased WPXL's analog and digital transmitters until January 1, 2006.

After that, WGNO/WNOL placed their digital signals on WPXL's transmitter.

Who knows, perhaps WDSU could use WPXL's transmitter when WGNO and WNOL are finished with it.

There's another thought I had too...

WHNO, channel 20's digital transmitter is operating. I get 20-1 strongly on the Northshore. As far as I can tell, that transmitter is carrying nothing but one SD feed. Perhaps someone (WDSU?) could put their HD channel on that transmitter.

My fear, however, is the Hurst-Argyle just doesn't care.

The staff of WDSU probably does care, but if the parent company has a "the hell with New Orleans" attitude, there's not much they can do.
post #558 of 8230 Old 08-03-2006, 07:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FranksPlace2 View Post

Here is my data on WDSU.

I have a new Samsung TV, no Set Top Box, Cox Jefferson. I get Channel 6 digital at 81-6; that is the direct channel address, not the Cox channel number.

Frank

So, this means that Cox is getting a DT feed from WDSU. Now for the important questions. Is the programming on WDSU-DT actually 1080i? 16x9 HD for primetime HD and upconverted SD with black pillars otherwise?

It sure would be nice if Charter could get a feed.

post #559 of 8230 Old 08-03-2006, 07:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiVoFishMan View Post

My fear, however, is the Hurst-Argyle just doesn't care.

The staff of WDSU probably does care, but if the parent company has a "the hell with New Orleans" attitude, there's not much they can do.

To add another angle to this, my understanding is that employees at WDSU have been jumping ship for the last 6 months due to local post-Katrina mismanagement.

post #560 of 8230 Old 08-03-2006, 08:07 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by raouliii View Post

To add another angle to this, my understanding is that employees at WDSU have been jumping ship for the last 6 months due to local post-Katrina mismanagement.

I've heard that too, and it's the primary basis for my "Hurst-Argyle doesn't care" comments.

Hurst-Argyle needs to poop or get off the pot. Either they commit to a plan to rebuild WDSU or they sell it to another owner who will. IMHO.
post #561 of 8230 Old 08-03-2006, 08:45 AM

Wow, very interesting information guys.

It looks like I'm going to have to buy a preamp and go buy some tubing to try to put it higher in the air to pull those BR stations.

Also, great information TivoFishMan. I didn't know the reason WNOL wasn't broadcasting HD, but that explanation is a good one.

It is funny how that 20.1 religious channel comes in SO strong and it's something I would never watch if it was the last thing on the planet.

Also to add another angle to this conversation, I am also a loyal DishN subscriber and have been for over 10 years. From what I read on some satellite forums, New Orleans is one of the markets they plan on adding HD locals by the end of the year. So when this happens, it makes me wonder if WDSU will be missing from this when it happens as well or if they'll somehow piggy pack off of the feed Cox is using or something. Although I'd HATE to pay for locals being I get everything else OTA, but I'd consider it.
post #562 of 8230 Old 08-03-2006, 09:56 AM

Gentlemen - Thank you for the info on WDSU-DT. Any ideas on what's going on between Charter 102-2 and 104-10?
post #563 of 8230 Old 08-03-2006, 11:03 AM

Quote:

So, this means that Cox is getting a DT feed from WDSU. Now for the important questions. Is the programming on WDSU-DT actually 1080i? 16x9 HD for primetime HD and upconverted SD with black pillars otherwise?

It sure would be nice if Charter could get a feed.

It says 1080i but there are black bars on either side.

Frank
post #564 of 8230 Old 08-03-2006, 11:14 AM

Quote:

The actual availability of WDSU-DT is a VERY big issue on this thread.

You state in your signature that you are a "Confused HD Viewer" and only have 3 posts.

Are you absolutely sure what you are getting is WDSU-DT (HD)? What cable company are you with and what channel is it on?

I'm not sure what it is, actually.

I've got Cox Jefferson and it's on Channel 706. Like I said before, I don't have an antenna but I do have a set top box.

All I know is that I've seen shows like Crossing Jordan and the Stanley Cup Finals in HD. I know I have.
post #565 of 8230 Old 08-03-2006, 01:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Quote:

Frank

Cox cable in BR even has WDSU at 1080i signal here but it's all SD material.
post #566 of 8230 Old 08-03-2006, 03:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Frank

Cox Jefferson subscriber

1080i with black pillars is usually, if not always, upconverted SD.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAStarsFan View Post

I'm not sure what it is, actually.

I've got Cox Jefferson and it's on Channel 706. Like I said before, I don't have an antenna but I do have a set top box.

All I know is that I've seen shows like Crossing Jordan and the Stanley Cup Finals in HD. I know I have.

If there were black pillars then it was upconverted SD. To make the black pillars go away one would have to zoom the tv.

Quote:
Originally Posted by digiblur View Post

Cox cable in BR even has WDSU at 1080i signal here but it's all SD material.

More evidence that WDSU-DT is only upconverted SD and does not broadcast HD programming. The important time to check is during primetime. Also, Leno is in HD at 10:30pm.

Anymore info out there?

post #567 of 8230 Old 08-03-2006, 03:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcgilbert View Post

Gentlemen - Thank you for the info on WDSU-DT. Any ideas on what's going on between Charter 102-2 and 104-10?

I have a Moto 6200 HD cable stb, so I'm not quite sure what your question is. What are you seeing/hearing.

post #568 of 8230 Old 08-03-2006, 05:09 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Cox Jefferson subscriber

1080i with black pillars is usually, if not always, upconverted SD.

If there were black pillars then it was upconverted SD. To make the black pillars go away one would have to zoom the tv.

More evidence that WDSU-DT is only upconverted SD and does not broadcast HD programming. The important time to check is during primetime. Also, Leno is in HD at 10:30pm.

Anymore info out there?

Now's the time to check.

Check during "My Name is Earl" (7:00 PM) or "The Office" (7:30 PM), but not during "America's Got Talent" (8:00 PM), it's not in HD. Then at 9:00 PM is "Windfall"; it's in HD. After that, you could check during Leno.

Black bars on the sides during one of the HD shows, then That means it's all only upconverted SD. If those shows are 16x9, then happy are those with COX in Jefferson Parish!
post #569 of 8230 Old 08-03-2006, 07:21 PM

I rarely watch NBC shows nowadays, the only one I really like is Crossing Jordan.

But when I do watch it, it's always in HD.

When the Stanley Cup Finals aired in June, they were also in HD.
post #570 of 8230 Old 08-03-2006, 08:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiVoFishMan View Post

Now's the time to check.

Check during "My Name is Earl" (7:00 PM) or "The Office" (7:30 PM), but not during "America's Got Talent" (8:00 PM), it's not in HD. Then at 9:00 PM is "Windfall"; it's in HD. After that, you could check during Leno.

Black bars on the sides during one of the HD shows, then That means it's all only upconverted SD. If those shows are 16x9, then happy are those with COX in Jefferson Parish!

America's Got Talent is not HD.

Ben
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page