post #721 of 8235 Old 09-13-2006, 03:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by crescenthd View Post

Ya. Unfortunately with the local HD channels we get, the only one that broadcasts HD 24/7 is the PBS HD channel (which is gorgeous when showing true HD-source content). NBC, ABC only show *some* of their primetime lineup in HD (ie: the big shows, like Law & Order, Lost, etc, NOT reality shows). WB is broadcasting in HD, but still only showing SD sources (maybe when the new channel premieres this Monday it will be different).

The *ODD* thing is that NBC (WDSU) airs Leno & Conan in SD even though the shows are taped in HD. Can anyone explain this!? The wierd thing, is *SOMETIMES* (like repeats, or pre-empted shows, or even during the olympics when leno aired AFTERwards) Leno & Conan get broadcast in HD. SNL seems to be broadcast in HD most of the time as well.

Isn't NBC the station that will not have HD until 2007.

NEW ORLEANS SAINTS - SUPER BOWL XLIV CHAMPIONS
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #722 of 8235 Old 09-13-2006, 03:23 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Yes. Leno, et all. is not in HD locally because ch 6 delays them 25 min. And they don't have the equiptment to delay them in HD. It, to me at least, is disapointing that NONE of our local chanels have steped up to the plate, and gotten HD cameras, etc. to originate their own local programs in HD.

My guess is that when it happens, the first one will be ch 4, in their new digital studio they are building on South Rampart st. But that may be sometime next year.

Many stations in other markets are broadcasting their local newscasts in HD.

I think that most stations are treating HD like a necessary "evil". A poor relation, that the FCC has ramed down their throats. FM radio was in the same boat in the 1950's and 60's.

Yes, it's true that WDSU-DT is off the air untill 2007, but it is availble from Cox cable.

Don H.
post #723 of 8235 Old 09-13-2006, 07:08 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm in Metairie (70003) between David Dr. and Roosevelt (near West Metairie). My QAM tuner has NEVER been able to pick up PBS (81.3) or NBC (81.6). I am able to receive WB (53.2) and ABC (53.5).
Any Ideas?

Thanks,
Ben
post #724 of 8235 Old 09-13-2006, 08:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Hardy View Post

I'm in Metairie (70003) between David Dr. and Roosevelt (near West Metairie). My QAM tuner has NEVER been able to pick up PBS (81.3) or NBC (81.6). I am able to receive WB (53.2) and ABC (53.5).
Any Ideas?

Thanks,
Ben

Do you have Cox? Is this with a Digital Channel scan, or manually? For me, PBS-HD wasn't picked up from the channel scans. I had to put it in manually.
post #725 of 8235 Old 09-14-2006, 11:09 AM

Yes, I have Cox Digital Service/Digital Gateway and the Digital Converter (which I'm not presently using). I have tried both a Auto Scan and manually inputing the channels 81.3 and 81.6, but with no success.
Thanks for your response.
Ben
post #726 of 8235 Old 09-14-2006, 12:35 PM

AHHHHHHH ugh!!!! aLL i WANT IS wdsu OR AN cbs CHANNNEL in HD... I an not pick up BR channels with my aNNTT....
post #727 of 8235 Old 09-14-2006, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tedgodfrey View Post

AHHHHHHH ugh!!!! aLL i WANT IS wdsu OR AN cbs CHANNNEL in HD... I an not pick up BR channels with my aNNTT....

Join the club.... It's a big one.

Jim
post #728 of 8235 Old 09-14-2006, 02:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 11
New to the forum here, i have the Hd package with all of the movie channels.
I know nbc 6 new orleans isnt broadcasting in hd, but any idea why charter doesnt have fox 8 new orleans hd in their line up, or the baton rouge hd's?
Anyone heard anything about this?
Thanks
post #729 of 8235 Old 09-14-2006, 02:19 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOHDjunkie View Post

Join the club.... It's a big one.

What type of antenna are you all using? If you search these forums there are numerous people (myself included) who are picking up NBC HD from Baton Rouge with a channel master 4228 and a Channel master 7777 pre-amp. I have mine outside and pick up all NO channels at ~95% and BR channels ~85-90 %. Thats with the antenna pointed to New Orleans. If I point it towards Baton Rouge I get those at 95 + and even some channels out of LAfaytte.
post #730 of 8235 Old 09-14-2006, 07:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by crescenthd View Post

WOW. Just hooked up my el-cheapo indoor antenna and low and behold, I was able to pick up the 9 out of 10 DTV channels listed off of antennaweb. So CBS-HD and FOX-HD come in great. I'm kicking myself for not having done this sooner. Ah well. Now to get an A/B coax switch to switch between QAM and OTA

Which is why I recommend to everyone that asks what kind of TV to buy...the first thing out my mouth is one with 2 RF inputs of OTA and QAM tuning
post #731 of 8235 Old 09-14-2006, 07:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by digiblur View Post

Which is why I recommend to everyone that asks what kind of TV to buy...the first thing out my mouth is one with 2 RF inputs of OTA and QAM tuning

I didn't even know that existed on TVs! (2 RF inputs). I'll know to look for that in the future [is this even common?]

So I was going to pick up an A/B switch, but would a diplexer work!? (are OTA/QAM+Basic (analog) cable signals mutually exclusive, or will their signals interfere with each other? Just would take the hassle out of manually switching (and I'm not willing to pay $30+ for the Shack's remote-controlled A/B switch).
post #732 of 8235 Old 09-14-2006, 08:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dennispap View Post

I know nbc 6 new orleans isnt broadcasting in hd, but any idea why charter doesnt have fox 8 new orleans hd in their line up, or the baton rouge hd's?
Thanks

Its very difficult to get information from Charter concerning the local (northshore) operation. Sometimes a visit by a tech results in some new information. I've had Charter HD for a couple of years.

My guesses: Charter does not have an agreement with Fox at the local level, so they don't carry it. Charter Slidell is the headend location for the northshore systems, which is where the HD channels and locals are received and distributed. It would likely be too expensive for Charter to get a land feed from WDSU-DT like Cox does. Unlike Charter Hammond, Charter Slidell does not offer the analog BR stations, therefore Charter Hammond must receive them locally but that location probably does not have HD receive gear.

Its sad that Charter only carries two (WWL-DT, WGNO-DT) of the possible five (- WDSU-DT, WVUE-DT, WYES-DT) New Orleans network DT stations. WNOL-DT has been SD forever.

BTW, is WGNO-DT exhibiting breakups every 30 seconds or so for you?

Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. - Benjamin Franklin
post #733 of 8235 Old 09-14-2006, 09:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tedgodfrey View Post

I'll assume you want NBC.
Other members in your area have reported being successful in receiving WVLA-DT, NBC, B.R. It kind of depends on how bad you want it. You haven't responded to the question of what type of antenna you have. Is it a large outdoor antenna? Have you tried rotating it towards BR? Help us, help you.

Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. - Benjamin Franklin
post #734 of 8235 Old 09-15-2006, 07:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Hardy View Post

Yes, I have Cox Digital Service/Digital Gateway and the Digital Converter (which I'm not presently using). I have tried both a Auto Scan and manually inputing the channels 81.3 and 81.6, but with no success.
Thanks for your response.
Ben

Ben,

I don't have Cox Digital Service, just the base package, and I get them.
Are you getting the Video-on-Demand advertising channels: 81.1, 106.9, 97.1(BB)?

I suggest you call Cox. They had scheduled an appointment with me today (about a week lead time) but I cancelled because my problem (WWL-SD PQ) went away.

Frank
post #735 of 8235 Old 09-15-2006, 07:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjso395 View Post

What type of antenna are you all using? If you search these forums there are numerous people (myself included) who are picking up NBC HD from Baton Rouge with a channel master 4228 and a Channel master 7777 pre-amp. I have mine outside and pick up all NO channels at ~95% and BR channels ~85-90 %. Thats with the antenna pointed to New Orleans. If I point it towards Baton Rouge I get those at 95 + and even some channels out of LAfaytte.

Thanks, I have the CM 4228 and CM 7777. But I'm ~80 miles from the transmiters in BR. Not gonna happen unless I go Up another 20 feet and/or get rid of several trees.

Jim
post #736 of 8235 Old 09-15-2006, 07:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dennispap View Post

Thanks

Evidently HD is an opportunity to renegotiate rates. Cox N.O. doesn't have WWL-DT because, as I understand it, they are in negotiations.

Frank
post #737 of 8235 Old 09-15-2006, 08:27 AM

Cox has been in negotiations for the past 3 years, and nothing has happened. Anyone buying an HD tv set, better make sure it has an OTA tuner, so that can get signals off the air. And not rely on Cox to get their programing.

Don H.
post #738 of 8235 Old 09-15-2006, 08:33 AM

I have no choice but to use Cox.

I live in apartment facing north, and I have to jump through hoops and hurdles to put an antenna on the balcony outside. Therefore, it's not really an option to me.

As I understood it, WWL was supposed to be building a new studio before Katrina. Will they finally give Cox an HD signal when they move in?
post #739 of 8235 Old 09-15-2006, 10:48 AM

QUOTE: BTW, is WGNO-DT exhibiting breakups every 30 seconds or so for you?

Yes! Since the first of Sept. I also notice the delay btw the SD and the DT feed. Only the delayed DT feed breaks. David, just east of Albany
post #740 of 8235 Old 09-15-2006, 01:18 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOHDjunkie View Post

Thanks, I have the CM 4228 and CM 7777. But I'm ~80 miles from the transmiters in BR. Not gonna happen unless I go Up another 20 feet and/or get rid of several trees.

How high is the antenna you have now? Mine is only 15 feet high, with a heavy wood line about 300 yards away towards BR. With my antenna pointed at BR I can get Lafayette at ~90% locked strength. Antennaweb.org shows these stations over 95 miles away from my house! Now dont get me wrong, when I turn my antenna towards NO I lose the Lafayette channel but can still get all the BR channels except for 9.1 (they are very weak). I never tried pointing it towards Biloxi or anything like that. If it aint broke, I aint fixing it.
post #741 of 8235 Old 09-15-2006, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjso395 View Post

How high is the antenna you have now? Mine is only 15 feet high, with a heavy wood line about 300 yards away towards BR. With my antenna pointed at BR I can get Lafayette at ~90% locked strength. Antennaweb.org shows these stations over 95 miles away from my house! Now dont get me wrong, when I turn my antenna towards NO I lose the Lafayette channel but can still get all the BR channels except for 9.1 (they are very weak). I never tried pointing it towards Biloxi or anything like that. If it aint broke, I aint fixing it.

I'm up 25 feet and to my west (Baton Rouge) I have a heavy woodline 100 feet away. Trust me, I've tried.

Jim
post #742 of 8235 Old 09-15-2006, 05:50 PM

"Are you getting the Video-on-Demand advertising channels: 81.1, 106.9, 97.1(BB)?"

No signal on any of these. I think I'll return their "digital tuner" and cancel the "digital gateway". Perhaps that's the problem.
Thanks for your input
Ben
post #743 of 8235 Old 09-15-2006, 06:04 PM
AVS Special Member

I'm 99% sure this is a dumb question, but here goes...

I have a rear-projection HDTV (SONY KDF70XBR950), and have always used it with DirecTV only. However, since WDSU isn't broadcasting in HD, and some football games are going to be on NBC, I'm trying to figure out if I can get any Cox HD channels without the aid of a cable box? Supposedly my TV has an ATSC/QAM tuner, but I've never used it before.

I have Cox Internet access, and I do get a relative few number of regular cable channels - from channel 3 to 27, to be specific.

Before I string a 50-foot cable over to my HDTV, I figured I'd check here to see if it's useless to even try.

Brett

I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.
post #744 of 8235 Old 09-15-2006, 07:07 PM

I have a question about receiving locals via antenna. I read about people scanning and getting channels in the 80's, say 81.6. I am using a dish network hd vip 211 receiver. I get all my locals in hd except wdsu, but when i go to manually add locals, the highest transmit number it goes to is 69. how do you get up to the 80's?
post #745 of 8235 Old 09-15-2006, 07:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrnoel View Post

I have a question about receiving locals via antenna. I read about people scanning and getting channels in the 80's, say 81.6. I am using a dish network hd vip 211 receiver. I get all my locals in hd except wdsu, but when i go to manually add locals, the highest transmit number it goes to is 69. how do you get up to the 80's?

Those are QAM channels from the cable company.
post #746 of 8235 Old 09-16-2006, 12:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrettStah View Post

I'm 99% sure this is a dumb question, but here goes...

I have a rear-projection HDTV (SONY KDF70XBR950), and have always used it with DirecTV only. However, since WDSU isn't broadcasting in HD, and some football games are going to be on NBC, I'm trying to figure out if I can get any Cox HD channels without the aid of a cable box? Supposedly my TV has an ATSC/QAM tuner, but I've never used it before.

I have Cox Internet access, and I do get a relative few number of regular cable channels - from channel 3 to 27, to be specific.

Before I string a 50-foot cable over to my HDTV, I figured I'd check here to see if it's useless to even try.

When you say you only get channels 3 to 27, is this with a TV connected via Cox cable? Go into your setup menu, and toggle Cable Mode to ON, and rescan your channels. You should get channels 2-99.

As for your Sony TV, does it have an Analog/Digital button on the remote? (or a DIGITAL option for Channel Mode?). If so (combined with the ability to set Cable Mode to ON/OFF) means you have an ATSC/QAM tuner, and it's definitely worth it to string the 50-foot cable over to your HDTV [the TV's built-in tuner will provide you with a superior picture to any cable/satellite set-top-box]
post #747 of 8235 Old 09-16-2006, 06:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrnoel View Post

Here are some of the OTA channels I receive with my UHF antenna and ATSC tuner: WWL 4.1, WYES 12.1, ABC 26.1, UPL 54.1.

Frank
post #748 of 8235 Old 09-16-2006, 08:45 AM

Ben.

Why don't use trade it in for one that tunes HD? I bought one way back when. And they will do both.

Then you won't have to fight it. I don't think the Cox box or gateway is the problem.

Don H.
post #749 of 8235 Old 09-16-2006, 09:12 AM

Don, you'right, of course. If I didn't already have a 4228/7777 setup that can receive the NBC and ABC HD signals OTA from Baton Rouge, I'd certainly do that.

I know I may appear to be "greedy", but if they're broadcasting the local HD signals "in the clear", I should be able to receive these channels.

Thanks for your input,
Ben
post #750 of 8235 Old 09-17-2006, 04:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by raouliii View Post

Its very difficult to get information from Charter concerning the local (northshore) operation. Sometimes a visit by a tech results in some new information. I've had Charter HD for a couple of years.

My guesses: Charter does not have an agreement with Fox at the local level, so they don't carry it. Charter Slidell is the headend location for the northshore systems, which is where the HD channels and locals are received and distributed. It would likely be too expensive for Charter to get a land feed from WDSU-DT like Cox does. Unlike Charter Hammond, Charter Slidell does not offer the analog BR stations, therefore Charter Hammond must receive them locally but that location probably does not have HD receive gear.

Its sad that Charter only carries two (WWL-DT, WGNO-DT) of the possible five (- WDSU-DT, WVUE-DT, WYES-DT) New Orleans network DT stations. WNOL-DT has been SD forever.

BTW, is WGNO-DT exhibiting breakups every 30 seconds or so for you?

Yes it breaks up every 30 seconds or so. I called charter and they acted like i was speaking chinese. They didnt know what i was talking about the hd pic breaking up.I cant get anyone @ charter who knows anything about the hd dept.
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page