New Orleans, LA - HDTV - Page 272 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 4Likes

post #8131 of 8243 Old 08-28-2012, 09:04 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by digiblur View Post

Couldn't seem to snag it... caught a few others there, even tried the manual entry but nothing. Maybe they weren't transmitting at the time I checked. Thanks for the info though.

I will post the one for later today when I get it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #8132 of 8243 Old 08-28-2012, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvengineer View Post

I will post the one for later today when I get it.

TIME:1500-2345 EST

GAL 17 21K SLOT 2

UPLINK: 14411 V

DL: 12111 HORIZONTAL

SYM 3.9787

DATA RATE 5.5

FEC. ¾

TIME: 2355-0500 EST

GAL 16 K9 SLOT 5

UPLINK 14187.750 V

DL 11887.750 H

SYM, 3.9787

DATA RATE 5.5

FEC 3/4
post #8133 of 8243 Old 08-28-2012, 06:59 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I had been watching mostly the WVUE stream on the Web, but just noticed that our KENS (Belo) has WWL on its subchannel 3 (normally local weather). They did this back in 2005 during Katrina, but I didn't have any DTV gear yet then. KHOU was relayed by them with Hurricane Ike.
post #8134 of 8243 Old 08-28-2012, 07:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by WA5IYX View Post

I had been watching mostly the WVUE stream on the Web, but just noticed that our KENS (Belo) has WWL on its subchannel 3 (normally local weather). They did this back in 2005 during Katrina, but I didn't have any DTV gear yet then. KHOU was relayed by them with Hurricane Ike.

If you have or know someone with DirecTV, they have channel 349 up that is switching between locals in New Orleans, think they had one on Mobile up for a bit too. Pretty cool channel, especially since my local channels in Baton Rouge have been an epic failure in covering this storm. Not saying this just due to Louis is here, but all the crew at WVUE have been doing a GREAT job at covering things! I've told quite a few friends around here that have DirecTV and they have commented about how good the coverage is.
post #8135 of 8243 Old 08-30-2012, 01:43 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by digiblur View Post

If you have or know someone with DirecTV, they have channel 349 up that is switching between locals in New Orleans, think they had one on Mobile up for a bit too. Pretty cool channel, especially since my local channels in Baton Rouge have been an epic failure in covering this storm. Not saying this just due to Louis is here, but all the crew at WVUE have been doing a GREAT job at covering things! I've told quite a few friends around here that have DirecTV and they have commented about how good the coverage is.

Not just during hurricanes but all the time: WVUE's news is what TV news used to be like and should be. Informed coverage of the facts without bias or cluless comments from the reporters and anchors. Very good, very reliable, very professional. Walter Cronkite would be proud of these guys.

WWL is still #1 in the ratings only because of local viewer inertia. WVUE's news is clearly superior by every measure. (Crapola studio cameras notwithstanding. wink.gif )

The other end of the scale in New Orleans is WGNO. News with a Twist? The first (and, well, only) time I saw that I was thinking: "What in the name of all that is holy am I watching?!" The "twist" is infantile, snarky, stupid, uninformed comments about every story by the anchors. Bevis and Butthead could do a better newscast!
post #8136 of 8243 Old 09-01-2012, 06:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TiVoFishMan View Post

........ WVUE's news is clearly superior by every measure. (Crapola studio cameras notwithstanding)...........
I'll second that emotion.

Bob Breck is the best meteorologist in New Orleans. A giant leap above chicken little Orr.

BUT, those jaggies on the studio shots were VERY distracting. I haven't been around avsforum much lately so maybe this has already been discussed, but what gives?

Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. - Benjamin Franklin
post #8137 of 8243 Old 09-02-2012, 11:49 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by raouliii View Post

BUT, those jaggies on the studio shots were VERY distracting. I haven't been around avsforum much lately so maybe this has already been discussed, but what gives?

Basically, when the previous owner, Emmis, upgraded the news studios to HD, they cut corners on the cameras. The output signal from the cameras is HD, but God only knows what the sensor inside the camera is doing. It produces this horrendous "jagged edge" artifact on everything.

Sometimes, when they do something "special" on the news where they need more cameras than the normal robotic studio cameras, they supplement with news field cameras (which are Sony XD cam, If I'm not mistaken) and you'll notice that the "special" camera angles look fantastic (coming from the XD cams) while the shots of the anchors at the desk or the meteorologist at the green screen still look like crap.

You'll also notice that footage from the field also looks great (XD cams, again).

The new studio they built at the Benson center uses top-line cameras. So, I'm hopeful that Benson and Company are close to being adequately embarrassed by those crummy news studio cameras and will soon replace them.
post #8138 of 8243 Old 09-05-2012, 07:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Did I ever tell you that those jaggies are annoying? wink.gif
post #8139 of 8243 Old 09-09-2012, 05:23 PM
Advanced Member

WVUE is in postage stamp mode after today's football games.
post #8140 of 8243 Old 09-10-2012, 08:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sore_bluto View Post

WVUE is in postage stamp mode after today's football games.

Not sure what you mean by that....
Letterboxed inside of pillar boxed????

Usually that is the fault of your cable or sat provider..

I didn't see anything written up about a problem on our end.

Let me know if it persisits.

Louis
post #8141 of 8243 Old 09-11-2012, 07:11 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvengineer View Post

Not sure what you mean by that....
Letterboxed inside of pillar boxed????
Usually that is the fault of your cable or sat provider..
I didn't see anything written up about a problem on our end.
Let me know if it persisits.
Louis

Yes, letterbox inside of pillarbox. After the last football game on Sunday which ran until almost 7PM, there was an abridged version of The OT. Then at about 7:12, The Simpsons started. At some point after the first commercial break, the picture went from normal full widescreen to the postage stamp mode and stayed that way for some time (I don't know how long). It was fixed by the time Family Guy started. I don't know where the problem was, but I have seen this on occasion. I'll post if I see it again.
post #8142 of 8243 Old 09-19-2012, 08:47 PM

Liked: 17

FYI, Louis:  If those were just dead pixels on the camera used for that "Arsenic in Rice" story that WVUE aired in the last quarter hour of tonight's 9pm newscast, they were the biggest (missing) pixels I've ever seen. Collateral damage from hurricane coverage?

post #8143 of 8243 Old 09-26-2012, 06:14 AM
Advanced Member

For the last couple of weeks, WVUE has been using the Benson Tower studio for the anchor desk on their morning news. (Weather and special stuff, like tech-talk still come from the Jeff-Davis studio.)

The cameras at the new Benson Tower studio are (of course) excellent! Pictures from the anchor desk there are perfect!

And then... a jarring difference when they cut back to the Jeff-Davis studio (for weather, for example).

Here's hoping the folks holding the purse strings are as jarred by these transitions as I am and finally replace those awful news studio cameras!!
dennispap likes this.
post #8144 of 8243 Old 10-03-2012, 11:42 AM

Hey guys, new to forum and i have a quick question. Sorry if this has been asked a bunch of times but i couldnt find a reference. Is there anyone in new orleans who can calibrate a tc-p55vt50? it will be here by the end of the week. What kind of break in time should i allow before calibration? I am also selling my tc-p50gt10 if anyone is interested. Thanks

Adam
post #8145 of 8243 Old 10-22-2012, 12:10 PM
Advanced Member

My father is building a new house. Can anyone comment on an attic mounted CM4228/CM4228HD (single story - will be about 15 feet high) and reception of WYES? Any other suggestions for this application? Also, solid signal seems to have the best prices. Any other supplier suggestions?

TIA
post #8146 of 8243 Old 10-22-2012, 08:47 PM

For OTA reception, have you seen the address-based azimuth and signal strength info for all stations in a given market that's available at TVFool.com?

post #8147 of 8243 Old 10-23-2012, 09:10 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BargainHunter View Post

For OTA reception, have you seen the address-based azimuth and signal strength info for all stations in a given market that's available at TVFool.com?

WYES is the longest distance, but only 17.3 miles.

I am interested in real world capability of the CM4228 with VHF high signals. The specs say it should handle it (45 miles for VHF high), I just wanted a little input before I recommend that particular antenna, and I am pretty sure a few people active in this thread are using the CM4228.
post #8148 of 8243 Old 10-24-2012, 08:12 AM
Thread Ender

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 289 Post(s)
Liked: 187
Quote:

My father is building a new house. Can anyone comment on an attic mounted CM4228/CM4228HD (single story - will be about 15 feet high) and reception of WYES? Any other suggestions for this application? Also, solid signal seems to have the best prices. Any other supplier suggestions?
TIA

It shouldn't be a problem. In Covington I get excellent reception of WYES with my attic mounted 4228. Signal shows about 94% on my tuners... I have it amped and split several times. Mine is probably about 25 feet high.

I believe it's time to Overthrow VerticalScope..
and Bring Back Huddler!

It's a shame that in the end TCU's playoff chances all came down to this . . .

Blu-rays & DVD's
post #8149 of 8243 Old 10-24-2012, 08:22 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WS65711 View Post

It shouldn't be a problem. In Covington I get excellent reception of WYES with my attic mounted 4228. Signal shows about 94% on my tuners... I have it amped and split several times. Mine is probably about 25 feet high.

He's most likely making the decision today, so thanks for the input!
post #8150 of 8243 Old 10-25-2012, 03:43 PM
Thread Ender

WWL TV introduced their new news studio on the 5pm broadcast today. Earlier this week on the 4:30am newscast I thought I noticed that the image looked like real HD, and not just the widescreen stuff they've had for the past year or two. Maybe it really was HD and I wasn't still dreaming so early in the morning. wink.gif I didn't actually hear them make any HD claims this evening, but then I was busy and not listening or watching closely. Maybe they didn't want Joe Sixpack to realize that the widescreen image they had been broadcasting prior wasn't really HD all along . . . rolleyes.gif

and Bring Back Huddler!

Blu-rays & DVD's
post #8151 of 8243 Old 10-28-2012, 08:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Quote:

WYES is the longest distance, but only 17.3 miles.
I am interested in real world capability of the CM4228 with VHF high signals. The specs say it should handle it (45 miles for VHF high), I just wanted a little input before I recommend that particular antenna, and I am pretty sure a few people active in this thread are using the CM4228.

I would not recommend using a UHF antenna for VHF reception. You'll be constantly tweaking it.
The patterns are very inconsistent when using an antenna for the "wrong band".
You might want to use a regular VHF/UHF Combo antenna, or use a separate VHF antenna, and a (frequency-selective) VHF/UHF combiner.

Ken English, Sr. Engineer, KSL-TV.
"The postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent the Company positions, strategies or opinions."
post #8152 of 8243 Old 10-29-2012, 09:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by WS65711 View Post

WWL TV introduced their new news studio on the 5pm broadcast today. Earlier this week on the 4:30am newscast I thought I noticed that the image looked like real HD, and not just the widescreen stuff they've had for the past year or two. Maybe it really was HD and I wasn't still dreaming so early in the morning. wink.gif I didn't actually hear them make any HD claims this evening, but then I was busy and not listening or watching closely. Maybe they didn't want Joe Sixpack to realize that the widescreen image they had been broadcasting prior wasn't really HD all along . . . rolleyes.gif
I saw the new set but it didnt look hd to me. I even said i cant believe they went to the new set, but the same sd picture.
post #8153 of 8243 Old 11-02-2012, 10:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dennispap View Post

I saw the new set but it didnt look hd to me. I even said i cant believe they went to the new set, but the same sd picture.

Louis (aka tvengineer) described and posted photos of the new studio, but from my OTA viewer's perspective, when you look at the stair-stepped shoulder lines of the anchors as they switch segments between studios, it's pretty obvious which one is high(er) resolution.

post #8154 of 8243 Old 11-03-2012, 11:14 AM
AVS Special Member

We were talking about WWL channel 4. louis works at fox8 unless something changed.
post #8155 of 8243 Old 11-03-2012, 02:14 PM

You're right. To my chagrin, it looks like I was in too big a hurry or up too late (maybe both). . . redface.gif

As for WWL, I hadn't heard them promote any change(s) and haven't noticed anything different, either. Maybe that's because I rarely watch their news since I'm still so annoyed by the inexplicable news promos and other insertions abruptly jabbed into prime time programming at inappropriate moments.

post #8156 of 8243 Old 11-04-2012, 03:59 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Amen to that. You can add me to that list, too.
Don H
post #8157 of 8243 Old 11-04-2012, 05:20 PM

I spent a few nights in Biloxi last week at the IP's hotel.

After getting frustrated with the in-room cable system (which looks like it was internet based) and having trouble switching channels.

I gave up and hooked up an antenna to the 47'' LG plasma that was in the room. I had a universal remote with me that I programmed so I could switch the TV over to antenna mode and manually scan for channels.

I ended up getting WLOX and WXXV quite easily, andf even the low powered WKFK out of Pascagoula came in as well. The picture quality was worlds better than the compressed and 4x3 channels that the hotel was passing through...but WXXV's signal quality was very degraded due to their dual HD stream.

My goal was to see if I could pick up New Orleans from my room...I was on the 10th floor facing northward. With some positioning and tweaking, I was able to get a solid signal of WWL and WVUE....and even blips of WDSU and WUPL. If I turned the antenna to the right, I could pick up WKRG out of Mobile.

This is the first time that I was able to watch New Orleans TV on a decent TV....seeing how the last time I was at the Hotel Monteleone watching on one of their tube TVs back in 09.

WWL's graphics look like they are in HD...the cameras seem to be in SD though...could the only thing keeping them in SD is their evening anchor team? wink.gif

WVUE is as good as everyone says so on this forum....the coverage is top-notch, but the jaggedness of the studio cameras was very noticeable. This wasn't an issue on the morning show shot at the Benson Studio.

I wasn't able to see much of WDSU, and the only time I could pick them up was during Jimmy Fallon one night.

Overall, New Orleans has some good stations that seem to act bigger than their market size.
post #8158 of 8243 Old 11-05-2012, 05:31 AM
Thread Ender

Quote:
Originally Posted by esdx View Post

.... WWL's graphics look like they are in HD...the cameras seem to be in SD though...could the only thing keeping them in SD is their evening anchor team? wink.gif . . .

I guess I don't know what's going on with WWL. I've been trying to watch closely over the past week or two since I posted about the new set. It really looks to me that sometimes the studio camera is HD, and sometimes it's not. I don't know how likely that is, but it sure looks that way to me. For reference, I bought my first HDTV (65" Mits) in November 2002, and hooked an antenna to it to watch the (little bit of) OTA HD that was available back then just 2 or 3 months later. So I should know what HD looks like. It appears to me that the WWL early morning news could be in HD most of the time, but the evening news not so much? We hardly ever see the 10pm news, the alarm goes off here at 4:15am . . .

and Bring Back Huddler!

Blu-rays & DVD's
post #8159 of 8243 Old 11-05-2012, 07:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wtkflhn View Post

Amen to that. You can add me to that list, too.
Don H

Same here.,
post #8160 of 8243 Old 11-13-2012, 06:30 PM

Quoted from a post in another thread here:
Originally Posted by keyboard21 View Post

"Beginning on November 1st 2012 and completing in April 2013 Rovi will be discontinuing the broadcast data service for consumer electronic guides in North America. The guides known as Guide Plus+, TV Guide on Screen and the Rovi Guide will no longer have the ability to receive data via the broadcast data service. Please contact your CE Manufacturer for further details."
Guess you guys know about it
122g7zl.jpg

I've got a Sony TV and DTVPal DVR that both offer an Electronic Program Guide populated by data received OTA via ROVI Corp's TV Guide On Screen (aka TVGOS). Unfortunately, it looks like TVGOS will soon be gone, leaving my Sony with no EPG unless Sony's engineers produce a firmware update to populate the guide with PSIP data. I'm not holding my breath on that possibility.

The DTVPal DVR automatically utilizes PSIP data when a station's info is unavailable from TVGOS, but the amount of PSIP based info is often no more than a few hours ahead of the current time even though the specs reportedly provide for up to 16 days worth ahead.

Quoted from yet another thread:
Originally Posted by Tormentor View Post

. . .

Quote:
There are several Event Information Tables, each of which describes the events or television programs associated with each of the virtual channels listed in the VCT. Each EIT is valid for a time interval of three hours. Because the maximum number of EITs is 128, up to 16 days of programming may be advertised in advance. At minimum, the first four EITs must always be present in every transport stream, and 24 are recommended.

I'm hoping the New Orleans area broadcasters will improve and extend the PSIP info currently mandated (though not uniformly enforced in all DMAs), while synchronizing their timekeeping with recognized reference standards. Otherwise, DVRs will likely suffer clock skew issues and programming will be back to the old VCR days--to say nothing of having an easy reference to see what's on.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page